• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes. Now I can finally join in on the PC meme and make elitist posts on forums about console players. <3

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Thank God I hope crypto market crashes hard. I felt bad having to pay full price for my NVIDIA 1080 founders edition card I got few months ago. I had to get to store before it even opened. They sold out in like 30 mins

This was a blight; pc gaming darkest hour

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yes. Now I can finally join in on the PC meme and make elitist posts on forums about console players. <3

giphy.gif

JOIN US

giphy.gif

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
Daily reminder you can just buy with the cards and mine with them to offset price.
Also Ethereum is moving to PoS soon (aka can't be mined anymore) which should make things interesting. Prices already have come down a lot since the peak bubble.

Also as most cards used for mining are power conscious they are usually ran at a sweet spot at something like 70% power and undervolted with thermal throttling enabled. Some will be ran into the ground, but I'd argue most wouldn't be.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad that this is happening. I will hold out for new cards, but at least if the market stabilizes I should still be able to get the new cards at a reasonable price.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably should have sold my old 7970 a couple months ago but I was lazy. Oh well. I'll keep an eye out for cheap GPUs on eBay later this year.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
GPU prices have been on a downward trend since February/March. Was just looking at prices yesterday, and 1070s seem to be running around $500, with 1080s around $600. That's almost normal, and at this rate might actually dip to normal around when the new NVidia 1100 cards should appear.

Last I read, RAM prices are going to stay high until at least Q4, when some additional manufacturing comes online and might finally get some supply going.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
This one is rough as it depends on how many new factories can be built for RAM manufacturing. RAM is so expensive because people don't stop buying new phones and the phone RAM specs are up every year.

I know, I wish they'd up the production already. Either they're unwilling to risk it or are enjoying the current profits too much.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Figures it starts going down when we're just about due for the new ones to come out, so I end up waiting for those instead.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read and watched the limits in lifespan are usually thermal load and power cycling. Both are reduced in mining compared to regular gaming.
Running at sustained load, even lower than maximum, is still going to have a negative impact on the card's lifespan.

The typical card used in a home computer spends the majority of its life idling. Heavy gaming can certainly lead to more wear, but nobody games for 24 hours a day.

Would this also affect RAM pricing or just GPU? Asking for a next gen console.
RAM constraints are due to manufacturing capacity.

It won't really affect consoles (they have stable long-term demand so can purchase far in advance).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I hope this is finally coming to an end!

My awesome R9 280 is still giving me awesome experiences, but I purchased an ultrawide monitor with freesync last year and I knew that this card didn't support it, so I'm excited for getting a new card, giving my card to a new owner or retire it for a while and using freesync in the future.

Anyway, I may wait a bit more because the next generation of consoles is a couple of years away and I would like to get something at least as good as those.

I am also rocking a R9 280. I wanted to purchase a new PC since late last year.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Wake me up when RAM prices come down. I've been wanting to upgrade my CPU for bloody ages but I'm not paying $280 for 16gb DDR4.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Running at sustained load, even lower than maximum, is still going to have a negative impact on the card's lifespan.

The typical card used in a home computer spends the majority of its life idling. Heavy gaming can certainly lead to more wear, but nobody games for 24 hours a day.

The components likely to wear out are typically going to do so based on thermals, typically due to high thermals over time or thermal cycling. A continuous load won't have the thermal cycling issue but a card used for gaming daily will. Mining also won't see the same peak thermals as gaming because of intentional power savings rather than trying to shove as much power through the GPU as you can get away with for performance in gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
If it's true these used cards won't actually die fast, then maybe I can finally upgrade. Idk, at this point maybe it's better to just wait for 2019 cards. RAM is still another issue, but having just one thing being overpriced to build a PC is better than multiple things.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Now we just need to get RAM prices back down from the upper atmosphere and I might be ready for a VR-ready rebuild soon.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to more, trump getting impeached or cryptocurrency being erradicated. Both would be absolutley wonderful

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, but still kinda high, I paid far less for 16GB 2 years ago.
You can get them for less I just spent 2 minutes searching on Amazon which doesn't have the best prices for ram

And that's for a single stick whoch is usually more expensive than 2.

With today's ebay coupon you could score 16gb for around 115-120$

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I can't wait for all this cryptocurrency to finally collapse totally. Regular currency is shitty enough, but at least it is backed up by actual countries. Cryptocurrency is a sham and will soon be as worthless as the imaginary ether it came from.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for all this cryptocurrency to finally collapse totally. Regular currency is shitty enough, but at least it is backed up by actual countries. Cryptocurrency is a sham and will soon be as worthless as the imaginary ether it came from.
I have bad news for you, cryptocurrency isn't going anywhere, it's only just starting to take off. Also I think it's rather lame and ignorant to hate on something you probably don't even understand just because computer part to play your video games increased in price by 100 dollars or so. You'll just have to deal with having to live in a world where cryptocurrencies exist and where people use graphics cards not just for gaming.