• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
dillonot7pq9w.jpg

Developed by: Vanpool
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Dates: April 26, 2018 (JP) | May 24, 2018 (NA) | May 25, 2018 (EU) | May 26, 2018 (AU)
Genre: Strategic Roll 'em Up featuring Mini Games
amiibo: No
New Nintendo 3DS enhanced: No?
Multiplayer: No
Demo: Yes (NA & JP only)
Retail: Yes (JP & PAL only)
Rolling: Yes
Hating: No
Riding Dirty: Hell yea
eShop download file size in blocks: 4866 blocks (about 609 MB)
Game Download/Official Site: Europe | North America | Japan
Reviews: Here

dillonabout0eod0.png

Long ago, a cataclysmic event devastated the world, and survivors holed themselves up in The City and outlying frontier towns. Now, an army of supercharged Grocks has crashed into town from outer space to steal their livestock – the pig-like Scrogs.​
TalkativeFortunateAcornbarnacle-size_restricted.gif
Take control of Dillon – a mercenary armadillo who can quite literally roll with the punches – and join forces with an animalized version of your Mii to assemble the ultimate weapon and drive back the invasion.​
dillongameplaylfocz.png

The third game in the Dillon series is takes some big steps to expand and improve the foundations laid by the original two games, with a lot of feedback taken into account to make this the best Dillon game it can be.​
Most notably: No more touch-screen controls! This is an all circle pad and buttons game now!​
The Dead-Heat Breakers is split into three main parts: Strategic preparation for defending the town under attack by placing Amiimal mercenaries and towers on the map, actually defending and fighting the Grocks during the attack phase (then chasing after them in tense racing sequences if any manage to get away), and going to The City to hire new Amiimals, play minigames, trading in materials to buy and upgrade gear, and eventually craft the ultimate defense weapon.​
Mini-games? Yes mini-games! A whole bunch of them: Running a shop, a VR shooting game, a time attack racing game, a pinball-pachinko hybrid, a trash-sorting game, petting Scrogs.​
What are Amiimals? They're animal-versions of Miis on your 3DS! You can recruit them to help you defend the town.​
a2TBMIM.gif
dillonmediauxrqk.png

3ds_dillonsdeadheatbr9wpom.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbrhpozz.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbr4moha.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbrv4qee.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbrtxrub.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbrwxpnd.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbrv4rhx.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbr97pze.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbr81qyq.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbrnwqqo.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbr9mrj6.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbr6dovk.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbrfyp10.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbr5ir3e.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbr7wop9.jpg
3ds_dillonsdeadheatbrygqu5.jpg
Interviews with NCL Producers Kensuke Tanabe and Risa Tabata and Vanpool Director Jun Tsuda:​
NL: Would you like to see Dillon crossover with other Nintendo franchises?
Tanabe: Actually, to tell you the truth, we've had that discussion about Star Fox in the past!​
Tsuda: Since both Dillon and Star Fox use animal characters, and have cool villains and characters, I think they'd go well together. Personally, I think it would make a great collaboration.​
Tanabe: Around the time we were thinking of this, there was a movie out called Cowboys and Aliens. We were worried people might copy us, so we stopped thinking about it! This time, we decided to go with a Mad Max motif.​
NL: Have you derived inspiration from any other movies?
Tsuda: Even though I did like Mad Max, I didn't really draw inspiration from any others. I watch a lot of movies, but I'd rather use the designs and characters my team members come up with.​
Tanabe: There was a movie called The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington, which our art team used to create some of the scenery in the game.​

Last edited:

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I've played the last two and will definitely get to this at some point.

I really like this series overall - most people have never played it, let alone heard of it - even after 3 games.

Good work OP for shining a light on it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So if the NWR review is to be believed, this one is significantly better than the first two.

I might have to pick this up sometime. I really wanted to like the first game, but it was just too monotonous. I love Dillion's design, so it's great to hear that he's in a better game now.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay... what the hell is this game?

At first glance, it just looks like a furry's wet dream (amiimals? really?)

After watching the trailer, is it F-Zero? Starfox? A tactics game? Tower defense? Mario Party?

Before coming in here, I was of the "who cares?" mindset, but, now, I'm honestly intrigued.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Okay... what the hell is this game?

At first glance, it just looks like a furry's wet dream (amiimals? really?)

After watching the trailer, is it F-Zero? Starfox? A tactics game? Tower defense? Mario Party?

Before coming in here, I was of the "who cares?" mindset, but, now, I'm honestly intrigued.
Well, the trailer and OP should've given you a good idea. It's strategy, not tactics. More Need for Speed Hot Pursuit than F-Zero. Star Fox only in the character department. Mario Party without multiplayer. Tower Defense is spot on, though. :)

Play the demo (unless you have a PAL 3DS)!

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wonderfully awful OT title as ever, Moon. ;)

I was going to wait on this, but the gameplay just looks too damn fun and unique.

Can I really juggle two tower-defence games between this and PixelJunk Monsters 2 though? :S

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wonderfully awful OT title as ever, Moon. ;)

I was going to wait on this, but the gameplay just looks too damn fun and unique.

Can I really juggle two tower-defence games between this and PixelJunk Monsters 2 though? :S
The "simple but good" title was already taken in the old country. So I found some more kitchen sinks :)

Re: your dilemma
after some high octane rolling action, wind down with some cutesy fixed-path monster towers :)

Last edited:

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed the demo, its different from the first two but familiar all at the same time. I love Dillon but the $40 price tag is keeping me away at the moment due to financial issues, but don't know if I can hold out for long.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
Hmm, these talks about Star Fox crossover make me think if maybe Dillon can be a character in this rumoured Star Fox racing game.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always been meaning to try these, but never got around to it...

Hmm...that quote about Dillon and Star Fox. Y'think he might appear in the rumored Star Fox racing?

I don't even want to think about how poorly this one is going to sell >.<

I legit think the furry element will sell some extra copies.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No retail version for US made me skip this sadly. I liked the past e-shop games and was pretty happy that this game was gonna have physical copies but NoA messed up by not bringing this over. Will probably get it in a sale in the future but I'm pretty disappointed since I love collecting Nintendo's weirder 3DS games like Tomodachi Life, Miitopia, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
I've always been meaning to try these, but never got around to it...

Hmm...that quote about Dillon and Star Fox. Y'think he might appear in the rumored Star Fox racing?

Dillon funny enough was the most rumored character to be in the LONG rumored Diddy Kong Racing 2, and I think one rumor for Star Fox said DK might make a cameo...

WHAT IF... Star Fox Grand Prix IS Diddy Kong Racing 2 after all?! O_o

Edit: DP...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

gamexplain review is out, by NintenDaan

my copy arrived today, will dig into it tomorrow finally!

Surprised by how much they loved it. When I have less on my table and maybe it's a bit cheaper I'd love to purchase it to see it played first hand. Sounds interesting for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
I played through the demo and I was thoroughly impressed with the game. Although I never played the previous games, I plan pick them up now.

It's a shame we couldn't get a retail release in NA. But Reggie is gonna Reggie.

andysexton

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had issues getting the game to open? I keep getting the message "An error has occurred. Hold down the power button..." etc. New 3DS US system here.

Oct 25, 2017
Demo was super fun, but I'm worried about the tower defense part. I'm not a fan of the genre and the first game was too slow paced to me.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
:(

Well, the review from gamexplain actually makes me wanna give this a try. Like Nintendaan, I didn't really care for it previously. Didn't get the first one because of the controls (I'm left-handed). I tried the second game, but just didn't stick with it. I do like the presentation in this one as well. Didn't realize they had a physical release for the game, either. Is that just in Europe, do you know, or in the U.S. as well?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
:(

Well, the review from gamexplain actually makes me wanna give this a try. Like Nintendaan, I didn't really care for it previously. Didn't get the first one because of the controls (I'm left-handed). I tried the second game, but just didn't stick with it. I do like the presentation in this one as well. Didn't realize they had a physical release for the game, either. Is that just in Europe, do you know, or in the U.S. as well?

in the OP table:
Retail: Yes (JP & PAL only)