• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
livejupiter_148101341p6so5.jpg

Recently Forerunner49 on the Dino Crisis Reddit uncovered some long forgotten information on Dino Crisis 3. As you can see above, the game when originally announced had nothing to do with Space. But rather was going to focus on a modern day setting where dinosaurs and humans were in constant conflict due to the time rifts that were presented in Dino Crisis 2. These time rifts would have effectively transported dinosaurs to numerous different time periods of mankind's development. Which is what Dylan and Regina at the end of Dino Crisis 2 were working on to prevent.

However, it seems the plans changed when 9/11 happened. The idea of a destroyed city apparently didn't sit well with Capcom. During that time, there were other games that changed certain aspects as to not hit too close to home with their american audiences. Dino Crisis 3 from its reveal in May 2001 would've just been in planning. Giving them enough time to shift gears on the setting and the story as a whole. Anyone familiar with Capcom's development knows that especially farther back. It wasn't uncommon for their teams to do a total 180 from their original concept or to make a concept into a whole new IP instead.

What spurred the search was two things. A old japanese comment from Shellfield
"前作『ディノクライシス2』発売から約8ヵ月後の2001年5月には、大都市を恐竜たちが暴れ回るという本作のイメージ画像が発表されていましたが、2001年9月に発生したアメリカ同時多発テロの影響か、当初のイメージとはかけ離れた作品に仕上がっています。"
Translated
"About 8 months after the release of the previous work" Dino Crisis 2 "in May 2001, the image image of this work that the dinosaurs rampaged in big cities was announced, but occurred in September 2001 The influence of the September 11 terrorist attacks, or the work which is far from the original image is finished.
and finding this image on the Angel Fire Dino Crisis Timeline Website (Under 2009 and failed mission). This is a very old site. Which is still used by the small but dedicated DC research community to get a hold of the timeline events in the series. There's another instance in the sources where another user mentions the 9/11 connection as well. Since this period of time was still rather shakey when it comes to documentation. This is the most likely scenario until someone asks Capcom directly on the history of development for DC3.

Regardless, it's interesting to think about where Dino Crisis could be right now had the original idea been kept intact. Though now the Dino Crisis 3 we have now at least makes a little more sense as to why it is the way it is. There's nothing further removed from destroyed cities than a game taking place in a spaceship with mutant dinosaur creations.

Sources:
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/DinoCrisis/comments/83ciwm/dino_crisis_3_alternate_storyline/
itmedia: http://www.itmedia.co.jp/games/gsnews/0105/17/news04.html
CJs Xbox360 Diary (Be wary of some iffy auto-translate): http://blog.livedoor.jp/cj999/archives/50901644.html
Thanks to forerunner49 for finding and piecing this information together.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, they totally overreacted. Unless the dinos were flying planes into buildings, I don't think anyone would've associated the game with 9/11.

Still doesn't explain the camera angles though.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of cool to find this out about a game that's often forgotten - and maybe preferred forgotten - but the logic seems bizarre.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, they totally overreacted. Unless the dinos were flying planes into buildings, I don't think anyone would've associated the game with 9/11.

I uhhh dont think you remember the climate too well at the time.

Any image of buildings collapsing or people fleeing debris was an instant reminder and there was a ton of caution in the aftermath about how and when these kind of things were depicted.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll never fail to amaze me how 9/11 managed to drastically changed the entertainment medium. Like I was aware of movies, tv shows and cartoons getting adjustments post-9/11 but never heard of it majorly affecting a video game until now, like, I heard of changing quests and characters, but an entire game setting? I'll be damned.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Really interesting stuff, Jaw. I'm not sure the game would've turned out any better, tho. As bizarre and ill-fitting as the space setting was for the series, Dino Crisis 3's problems were rooted far deeper, within the gameplay itself. From a horrible camera to poor controls and combat, these were the real problems with DC3. Even with a better setting, the core of this game was still kinda rotten Imo, and still would've doomed the series.

Oct 27, 2017
I uhhh dont think you remember the climate too well at the time.

Any image of buildings collapsing or people fleeing debris was an instant reminder and there was a ton of caution in the aftermath about how and when these kind of things were depicted.

I remember playing Disaster Report less than a year after 9/11 and that game is basically all running away from falling buildings, without dinosaurs

I also remember the media covering "patriotic" people going nuts about anything that seemed a little like 9/11 but not knowing anyone in real life feeling that way.

edit: looks like disaster report was a little over a year after. my dang faulty memory

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Wow, that's actually pretty close to what I expected DC3 to be, before it was announced.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, that's a shame. Maybe someday they'll do "real" Dino Crisis 3. Not necessary in the city, just not in the fucking space!

Dino Crisis is great, Regina - best SH girl.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It'll never fail to amaze me how 9/11 managed to drastically changed the entertainment medium. Like I was aware of movies, tv shows and cartoons getting adjustments post-9/11 but never heard of it majorly affecting a video game until now, like, I heard of changing quests and characters, but an entire game setting? I'll be damned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainment_affected_by_the_September_11_attacks#Video_games

also not mentioned here, advance wars got cancelled in japan

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That'ts a pretty interesting bunch of factoids.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
So many multi-million dollar projects were altered or cancelled outright in those first couple years post-9/11 because they were worried about disturbing/offending people, and yet now 9/11-esque imagery is, like, a trope in every single big budget action movie.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing Disaster Report less than a year after 9/11 and that game is basically all running away from falling buildings, without dinosaurs

I also remember the media covering "patriotic" people going nuts about anything that seemed a little like 9/11 but not knowing anyone in real life feeling that way.

edit: looks like disaster report was a little over a year after. my dang faulty memory
There was an entire cutscene in Metal Gear Solid 2 that was altered to remove large amounts of destruction in New York.

And Disaster Report 4 was temporarily cancelled after the Earthquake/Tsunami that struck Japan while it was still in development.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused -- is there anything to support the idea that the changes in direction were due to September 11? Or is it just someone's speculation?

I don't know who "Shellfield" is.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Yeah, at most I'd heard how they took out some cutscenes in like MGS2, or games being delayed or not coming out, but affecting the game's scenario completely?

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Never played it, but that piece of concept art in the OP really captures the imagination... Lost World vibes.... didn't seem like it would have mattered though, seemed like the setting was the least of that game's problems.

You want to cash in Capcom? Set the reboot in an amusement park.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bro, in the aftermath of 9/11, they banned the episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes to the WTC for years afterwards.

Anything dealing with NYC was very sensitive after 9/11 for quite a while.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bro, in the aftermath of 9/11, they banned the episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes to the WTC for years afterwards.

I remember after 9/11 hearinng Biggie's song Juicy lyrics "Time to get paid/Blow up like the World Trade" completely removed and silent after the "Paid" part whnever the song was played

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like I remember seeing a list of songs that radio stations were temporarily banning too? I don't remember if that was just a rumor or what though.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Wow, I never knew this. I didnt hate dino crisis 3 but I sure as hell thought the characters were related to Regina and Dylan as a kid. They truly disappointed me in the end.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The change seems understandable but still strange how they went so far off into a different direction. They could've tweaked the setting and kept grounded survival themes. Instead they switched gears completely to concepts of a shape shifting starship and jetpack gameplay. Maybe the team would've made an awkward action game regardless.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dino Crisis 3 always reminds me that plots with horse in the space or in a submarine in Notting Hill.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Some more info was found on the original concept by Forerunner here.

Google Translated
"The aim is to rescue people in the facility from a group of dinosaurs.This time, using a system that can attack dinosaurs with multiple partners, various human drama will develop according to how to play."

So once again. No mention of space or anything else as the original post I made stated.
It's interesting to think about where the series would've been had things gone to the original plan. The multiple partners thing sounds interesting. Perhaps something like Rainbow Six games during the time or Resident Evil 0 perhaps? Human Drama would've meant more focus on the characters in the story.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Some more info was found on the original concept by Forerunner here.

Google Translated
"The aim is to rescue people in the facility from a group of dinosaurs.This time, using a system that can attack dinosaurs with multiple partners, various human drama will develop according to how to play."

So once again. No mention of space or anything else as the original post I made stated.
It's interesting to think about where the series would've been had things gone to the original plan. The multiple partners thing sounds interesting. Perhaps something like Rainbow Six games during the time or Resident Evil 0 perhaps? Human Drama would've meant more focus on the characters in the story.

I'd think something similar to RE0 might have been under works. Also, didn't Outbreak also have a cooperative attack?

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
They really did overreact. I appreciate them trying to be respectful though.

But man, it is interesting to see how things would have been different. Had the original plan stuck, the game woulr have released on PS2 and probably would have been a hit, thus continuing the series. That is a damn shame.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, crazy but not unexpected. I remember the Twin Towers were a set piece in Sam Raimi's Spiderman, they were featured in the movie poster too. But the film got delayed and they cut those scenes out, changed posters, and I believe had to digitally alter out the towers in city shots.