• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Vulture:
"On Wednesday, April 17th, our beloved son/father, John Singleton, suffered a stroke while at the hospital. John is currently in the ICU and under great medical care. We ask that privacy be given to him and our family at this time and appreciate all of the prayers that have been pouring in from his fans, friends and colleagues."

In 1992, Singleton became the first African-American director, and youngest director ever, to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director for Boyz n the Hood (which also earned him a Best Original Screenplay nomination). More recently, John Singleton created and has been working as executive producer on the critically acclaimed FX series Snowfall, which is set to premiere its third season later this year. Across social media, friends and admirers alike are reaching out to share well wishes and prayers for a quick recovery.
Just a final update:

This is an official statement from his family.

He has officially passed at age 51.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hopes i pulls through.

I like him as a director, real shame we never got that 2pac biopic from him.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that sucks. I was just thinking about him the other day and how we need more directors like him. It feels like we have gone backwards.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
TMZ says he's in a coma unfortunately. I felt bad reading an article that has the sentence "according to the legal docs, obtained by TMZ" so I'm not gonna link to the ghoulish site.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
What?! I didn't even see the stroke news. What a shame. Strokes are frightening.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW TMZ says he's still alive, but it's not looking good. Medically induced coma, unresponsive and not improving.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
What are the chances of pulling through from a stroke?

With punctual medical care, somewhere in the 70% range within the first month, however survival rates long term aren't good.
Suffering a stroke dramatically increases your risk of future fatal complications, gradually increasing toward the 50-60% range after 5 years of the incident.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
What are the chances of pulling through from a stroke?

Depends on the person, which part of the brain and if they can operate or not etc.

My dad had a very serious one almost 10 years ago and managed to make it out alive after a very complicated surgery, he was really lucky but his left side is paralyzed :(

On topic: RIP John Singleton

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Was hoping for improvement, this is so sad :( Such a young guy as well. I'm bracing myself for another update in the next day or two then...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible. Somehow I missed the news that he'd had the stroke.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GOD DAMMIT... I was hopping this wasn't the case but I saw the writing on the wall... RIP Singleton, one of my favorite directors.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I've been meaning to go through his entire filmography because I felt like just watching Boyz N The Hood would be a disservice.