• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping he'd get better. I remember watching Boyz N The Hood in my last year of highschool. It's definitely one of those movies that had a significant impact on me as a person growing up.

RIP.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I can see that, but in the early 1990s he was THE golden boy from USC, and was what most grads aspired to be.

Word. I was young back then and not too cultured, but even then his name preceded his image. I remember him being one of those people whom I had to google later in life and had the "oh thaaaaat's what he looks like" moment.

A sad loss.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, loved his movies. RIP

I was just rewatching Baby Boy yesterday too. He gave us so many great Tyrese moments.

tenor.gif

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
His filmography is pretty fantastic. I won't forgive him for all those shots of feet pushing the gas pedal in 2F2F though.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn 51 is too young.

As I get older the prospect of going out like this looms larger and larger, ugh

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Very sad to see that. I think with all the Endgame noise, there wasn't enough coverage of this.

So sad, John Singleton was special. Seeing Boyz n the Hood 2 decades ago for me was the start of a special period with ALL those movies about Blacks in America, and the harsh reality of the hood. Like Menace 2 Society, Above the Rim, Jayson's Lyrics, Fresh, etc. Remember bring a Black Man in Paris and seeing those movie was huge for us. Finally movies about Blacks...

I'll remember the most those 3 movies ;

220px-Boyz_n_the_hood_poster.jpg

220px-Baby_boy_theatrical_poster.jpg

220px-Shaft_%282000_movie_poster%29.jpg

And also special mention for the "Remember the Time" video, probably the best Micheal Jackson video.

Oct 26, 2017
I just found out a few hours ago. Very sad to hear this. :(

When I was a kid in the 90s while other people were glorifying people like Snoop and 2-Pac, I admired people behind the scenes like John Singleton. As a young black nerd, that was my kind of role model.

His death is warning to me and many other black men. Basically died from complication from high blood pressure. Many black people are genetically predisposition to be at risk of high blood pressure. I've noticed my numbers are starting to rise up, but it really is the silent killer because you can be oblivious to it until it's too late if you don't have any regular check-ups. So everyone but especially black-folk, if you want to honor John Singleton, re-watch Boyz-in-the-Hood and Baby Boy, then go get your blood pressure checked and start paying attention to your sodium intake. 51 is much too young to die from a stroke. :(