• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
https://theplaylist.net/michael-haneke-metoo-20180210/

Overseas, there has been some pushback to the #MeToo movement in certain corners of the industry. For example, in France, a recent open letter published in Le Monde compared the campaign to "puritanism" saying that "rape is a crime, insistently or awkwardly hitting on someone is not." The letter also blamed the #MeToo campaign for "expeditious justice" to men who "may have touched a knee, tried to steal a kiss" or "spoken of "intimate" things during a professional dinner." More than 100 "prominent French women," from the industry had signed that letter, including Catherine Deneuve, as a right to try and defend "sexual freedom."

Meanwhile in Italy, the #MeToo movement has faced considerable pushback from the public. However, even as some strides are being made raise awareness, Asia Argento is among those saying more must be done to identify those who have harassed or assaulted women in the Italian industry.

Now, "Amour" and "Cache" director Michael Haneke has denounced what he calls "the hatred of men" that has emerged due to this movement.

In an interview with Austrian daily Kurier (via Huffington Post France) the 75-year-old filmmaker stated, "This new puritanism imbued with a hatred of men, which comes in the wake the #Metoo movement, concerns me." The important and groundbreaking movement, which has helped free women's voices and denounce sexual abuse, was described as having turned into a "witch hunt" by Haneke and "a new kind of puritanism which could hinder artistic creation." The director went on to say, "as an artist,; we are beginning to face the fear of this crusade against all forms of eroticism." Haneke gave as an example Nagisa Oshima's sexually explicit classic "The Empire Of The Senses" which he says would "never be shot or accepted today."

Haneke maintains that he believes firmly in the spirit of the #MeToo movement and why it was started, but that it may have run its course and gone too far over the edge. "Of course, any form of rape or sexual coercion must be punished, but I find hysteria and condemnations without trial that we now witness quite disgusting," he said. He went on to add that the "thoughtless rage" manifested has "destroyed lives even with a lack of evidence to back up the accusations." He then took it a step further by condemning the media which he claims have "murdered lives and careers in the process."

Brah what the fuck

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
"Witch hunt" is becoming one of those phrases that you immediately associate with douches. Like Alec Baldwin.

And it's funny that their concern only encompasses the accused with no regard to the victim.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Old people, man.

Back in the good ol days we waited for the trial to be over before condemning men for sexual abuse and exploitation. And in the mean time we harrassed the women who dare spoke out against them before the full trial had taken place, even if we would have never found out about their abuse otherwise.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People that use "witch hunt" for this never see the irony of it?

Deleted member 20296

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haneke maintains that he believes firmly in the spirit of the #MeToo movement and why it was started, but that it may have run its course and gone too far over the edge. "Of course, any form of rape or sexual coercion must be punished, but I find hysteria and condemnations without trial that we now witness quite disgusting," he said. He went on to add that the "thoughtless rage" manifested has "destroyed lives even with a lack of evidence to back up the accusations." He then took it a step further by condemning the media which he claims have "murdered lives and careers in the process."

What a thoughtless monster he should be dragged into the street and burned!

But seriously, everybody cool it, there is room for this opinion

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
He doesn't know what the term witch hunt actually means I guess. All of the dudes outed for creeplord behavior actually committed said creeplord behavior. They even owned up to it.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's an opinion with no basis in reality that solely exists to help actual monsters get away with their actions.

So uhh why should we just let him say it without criticism? I think we can agree that he shouldn't be literally burned to death because of it though, you bring up an insightful point there

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another old European trash who doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. Metoo is concerned with real harassment and rape not the one depicted in film you dumbass. Why the fuck would it hinder artistic expression? Are all artists rapists.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The term "witch hunt" always needs to suppose that witches don't actually exist.

Cosby and Weinstein and Trump are actual witches in this analogy.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well considering all the men that have admitted guilt in this movement it is pretty obvious something has been going on across society for a very long time and been allowed/covered up. You don;t have a witch hunt with this many who admit guilt.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
He's right. Except that there are actual witches and they're famous directors and stunt coordinators.

Hunt 'em all.

XAL

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this will end well for him.

He's big in the arthouse scene, not so much in the mainstream sense.
Most people don't even know who this guy is and it will probably stay that way.

I don't know if this will affect his ability to make movies or get shown at festivals tbh.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't know what the term witch hunt actually means I guess. All of the dudes outed for creeplord behavior actually committed said creeplord behavior. They even owned up to it.
Seriously, all the pushback seems more like a reaction to how widespread the abuse is, like they're going into denial because they can't possibly imagine it's really this bad. Guess what? It is that bad and the first step to fixing that problem is to acknowledge it exists.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
There should be a class taught to these idiots as to what the term witch hunt actually means.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is there? That opinion kind of ignores the realities of how the court systems work, the way that celebrities are protected, and all the ways that people are constantly looking for ways to ignore what these women are saying.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone check out Funny Games and the american remake Haneke also directed to get a good idea of his mind.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the media has "murdered lives." Didn't know the Post and Times had literal hit squads fucking killing people out here

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should explain why Europe hates this movement so much

The hatred seems to be very generational. I don't think the millenial generation hates it as much as Gen. X and older ones do. For the older generation I think he lays it out somewhat in his quotes in the article. I think there is a worry that the puritanical views of sex in America could take a foothold in Europe because this is an American-borne movement that is sweeping the globe. I think they are scared that it will redefine what it means to be a man from what society has taught for generations, that it will remove that "machismo" and "swagger" that people in more European cultures see as being so intertwined with sex. A lot of Americans can be very uncomfortable with European greetings of kisses on the cheek. It just runs counter to what we are raised with here in the States where you reserve that close contact for close friends, or sometimes just family. Everyone else gets handshakes.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is nothing wrong with saying we should be still support due process. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Yes, due process should be a thing. But then why are those of you who have a problem with how #MeToo is operating not campaigning for a rework of the justice system to be more accommodating to victims of sexual assault? We know that the system doesn't work, and that its heavily biased against the women involved. The reason that this movement started is because going through the proper channels doesn't work and victims were sick of it.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably just the same reasons others disagree with the "burn it all down, a few innocent men being destroyed is worth it" mentality that's expressed. This line of disagreement isn't an uncommon sentiment anymore, even among allies.

Who is expressing this mentality and what innocent men have been destoryed?

Deleted member 20296

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Has Been Banned (3 Days) For: Generalizing and attacking Era as a monolith. Ignoring previous warnings for similar posts.
Someone should explain why Europe hates this movement so much
Some people in Europe take a dim view of black/white reactionary bullshit with no shades of grey is my guess. I mean the guy says he supports the cause but thinks people went to far.

Everybody reasonable knows going too far with a good cause can turn wicked and into a mirror image of the poisonous shit you're trying to avoid in the first place.

Well everyone except this forum.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people in Europe take a dim view of black/white reactionary bullshit with no shades of grey is my guess. I mean the guy says he supports the cause but thinks people went to far.

Everybody reasonable knows going too far with a good cause can turn wicked and into a mirror image of the poisonous shit you're trying to avoid in the first place.

This forum is the main driving force behind #MeToo?

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dudes are one negative Hillary Clinton comment away from doing the "dude that calls himself leftist but somehow always end up shitting on women" bingo.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I find the notion that women speaking out against abuse is anywhere on the same level as was done to them absolutely ridiculous.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Because its moderate
It's not moderate to say 'some people are taking it to far' without naming names, it's craven and unhelpful. If he can't come up with concrete examples then his entire goal is to undermine the women who come forward with their stories, which means his stated support for the spirit of the #MeToo movement is a shitty lie.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, all the pushback seems more like a reaction to how widespread the abuse is, like they're going into denial because they can't possibly imagine it's really this bad. Guess what? It is that bad and the first step to fixing that problem is to acknowledge it exists.

I agree with this. I think they see how much of it is happening and immediately think "innocent people must be getting caught up in this."

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Even if it was just a hatred of men, which it isn't, how would you blame women for having a hatred of men when the societal power structure has shafted them for so long, when so many have been assaulted or raped and never got any semblance of justice?