• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be that person, but I'll be forever disappointed we went from this in Metroid Prime:
latest

To this in Prime 2 & 3:
metroid_prime_2_zero_suit_samus_gif_by_s3k94-dah1web.png

metroid_prime_3_zero_suit_samus_gif_by_s3k94-dah853w.png

Agreed. From normal woman to caricature. Very unfortunate. Prime has a really cool semi-grounded sci-fi feel to it for me, and having such a great character design played into that. The atmosphere was still there in 2 and 3, but Samus' design was a major disappointment and it felt a bit disjointed from what Prime seems to do with the Metroid formula.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A tangent, but what do people think of the ending images for Metroid games? It seems a bit off that Samus is used as a player reward in her own game by stripping off more layers and showing off more skin the faster the player beats the game.

On topic, I dig the image. Could do with less scowling though.

I mean, they stopped being that after Super Metroid so they're fine now. But even back as Metroid II they stopped feeling like sexy rewards since Samus is never sexualized unlike some other games that did it.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Other M canonicaly prove that Samus is an insecure and subservient mess and not a hardened warrior?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
When I played Metroid and Super Metroid, I always viewed Samus as a hardass. Someone with a no-BS, somewhat military-esque attitude

This is exactly how I feel/felt.

The shadowing makes her mouth look a little weird here but it's a good concept, better than the dolled up anime Samus they've been pushing for years. My ideal Samus would still look something like Katheryn Winnick in Vikings

lagertha-might-survive-the-second-half-of-vikings-season-5-and-return-for-the-sixth-season-photo-by-history-youtube.jpg
I've never seen this show or this person, but wow that's pretty spot-on. Katie Sackhoff comes to mind too.

Oct 28, 2017
The shadowing makes her mouth look a little weird here but it's a good concept, better than the dolled up anime Samus they've been pushing for years. My ideal Samus would still look something like Katheryn Winnick in Vikings

lagertha-might-survive-the-second-half-of-vikings-season-5-and-return-for-the-sixth-season-photo-by-history-youtube.jpg

10/10

Didn't Other M canonicaly prove that Samus is an insecure and subservient mess and not a hardened warrior?

We dont speak about Other M as canonical outside of gameplay.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they stopped being that after Super Metroid so they're fine now. But even back as Metroid II they stopped feeling like sexy rewards since Samus is never sexualized unlike some other games that did it.

Are you sure?

http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/metroidzm/endings.php
http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/metroid4/endings.php
http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/mprime3/endings.php

Because it sure seems like she exposes more and more skin the faster and more complete you are. One of the Zero Mission endings even has a T&A pose in her Zero Suit.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
If I am going to talk about how I prefer Samus looking like, I'd say we should go with this one.

Here she looks really badass, having muscular body due to military training, yet at the same time she has a feminine look, not devoid of emotion. She is serious but not a ruthless killing machine.

latest

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I gotta say I don't really get why ppl keep saying things like Zero Suit Samus was a sudden move to sexualize her character. Even in the Super Metroid days the director said she was supposed to look like Kim Basinger, who was a pretty popular actress in the 90's and kinda (IIRC) a sex symbol. I was a kid tho at the time.

Ty5mZPW.png

IDK; Metroid has been my favorite series for a long time, and maybe it's just me but I've never really seen her character to be like Gwendolyine Christie's in GoT in her appearance or personality. I always just sort of thought her personality would be more like Ripley from the Alien franchise. The only thing I don't like about the Zero Suit designs is the heels because they don't make sense if she's got like this huge space suit on.

As for her height, the 6'3 quote was a mistranslation. That's her height wearing the suit; not without it.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/mea/samus/index.html

She's still really friggen tall in Smash though: https://smashboards.com/threads/character-height-a-rough-start.402759/

So yeah, I think her out of suit height has probably always been around 5'8-5'11 ish. I can't see the suit adding more than 6 inches. Would kinda make sense since Basinger is around 5'8. And height doesn't necessarily imply masculinity or femininity anyways. Typing all this up makes me realize how cool it'd be to have a Hyrule Historia book for Metroid

I do though really hate the way they wrote her character in Other M THE BABY THE BABY. It'd be interesting to see how they'd adapt it, I'd really want them to lean heavy on the Alien influences. I really hope they do make a Metroid animation like Castlevania though, they really nailed Alucard's design in that.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
it's neat, but reminds me of how Iron Man and Spider-Man spend 70% of Infinity War without their masks on to give the actors more screen time. These characters have a helmet for a reason, they don't take it off as soon as immediate danger is gone.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Great concept art but Nintendo would never give an animated series to Adi Shankar and his weird ultra-violence fetish. The Castlevania show is pretty solid but everytime an eyeball gets ripped out of its socket I'm like "Really bro? Is that necessary?"

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dig it. I don't think this Samus would have a form-fitting blue catsuit be as flattering, but she's more in line with the 6'2 Super Metroid Samus.
The form fitting catsuit being worn beneath a bulking armor is not the problem. The problem is how the camera leers and how the game treats her and shows her running around killing aliens in barren planets while having a barbie doll physique, huge knockers and even lipstick on!

Hell why would she have bangs inside that helmet? I can only imagine the torture that it must be to get hair accidentally on your face without being able to get the helmet off and moving it away!

Christo750

May 10, 2018
That looks fucking excellent.

I had no idea he wanted to do a Metroid series. This new Nintendo is the kind of Nintendo that would let him do it, hopefully.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately yes. People who say otherwise are living a lie.

Until a new game writes it off canon it'll forever remain the official incarnation of Samus. The "fearless" bounty hunter with serious daddy issues who follows orders from men even if they mean killing herself.

MajinArekkusu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Katheryn Winnick or Emily Blunt live action Metroid movie pls, thanks.

I mean it shouldn't be really that hard to make a cool sci fi movie out of this franchise right?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people forgot there was another Metroid game after Other M that just came out with a new Samus design...

Also, still absolutely not on board this guy doing Metroid. Last thing we need is another R-rated fest, especially since this game series doesn't need it.

Nov 4, 2017
It reminds me a bit of the design you see at the end of the first prime game. After that they stick to the more anime looking Zero mission look.
I think Metroid would work well as a short OVA type show with some good direction and pacing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never imagined Samus being much of a hardass to be honest.

Calm and professional but more stoic then angry. In the ending images of Fusion and Zero Mission (the first two Metroid games I played for context) she seems perfectly calm and even a little cheerful when "off duty" as it were.
mzm_ending5.gif

meJPo.jpg

(I know the Samus past pictures aren't in the American version but the internet is a thing.)

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
To me i would love to see a Metroid Show based on the Metroid Manga. I feel like that would be the best way to do a Metroid show. Explore her origins

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saving the animals is not a given, she can just as well leave them and mentioning the poses at the end are hardly defining of her character as a whole. If anything she might just be a fan of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I think there talking less about the poses and more the art that shows her fondly remembering her time with the Chozo or relaxing at a bar.

Clix

Banned
I never imagined Samus being much of a hardass to be honest.

Calm and professional but more stoic then angry. In the ending images of Fusion and Zero Mission (the first two Metroid games I played for context) she seems perfectly calm and even a little cheerful when "off duty" as it were.
mzm_ending5.gif

This is one my favorite Samus images. Like it a lot better than many of the others placed here, which I find way to western in design for my tastes.

And same with you. While on the job she is more stoic and professional, not some hardened warrior with no emotions. Of course she has emotions. I think off duty she strikes me as being "fun" and more carefree. I think the hardass image is more of an American point of view that seems to be projected on to her. At least this is what I have noticed.