• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ksONBdG.jpg

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/dirk-gentlys-holistic-detective-agency/
Summary
Every season is a dizzying, smart, dangerous, unexpected and (for us, not the people involved) fun adventure that explores a different genre. Season 1 was about time travel with body-swapping, and Season 2 involves an injection of fantasy. The vast dangers lurking in the magical realm of Wendimoor navigate a path to Earth, becoming a threat and it's up to Dirk and the gang to stop them in their tracks. But first things first — they need to find each other… The season begins with Dirk trapped in the government organization of Blackwing for the last two months, unfortunately re-immersed in the nightmares of his childhood, and separated from Todd and Farah. Dirk seems to be utterly defeated in his current surroundings with no obvious way out. Meanwhile, Todd and Farah are free, but on the run from the authorities. They are desperately clinging to what remains of their resolve to be reunited with not only Dirk, but also Todd's sister, Amanda. Like Dirk, with the exception of Vogel, the Rowdy 3 have been captured by Blackwing; Vogel escaped with Amanda and they are determined to help their friends escape from Blackwing, if only they can find its top-secret location. Mr. Priest, Blackwing's enforcer, is in hot pursuit of them, and their time is quickly running out. Blackwing is back up and running, but under the confused direction of its new leader, Hugo Friedkin. He is unable to make heads or tails of the existing Blackwing subjects and their "gifts", and finding that their vague powers offer him only frustration. Over time, he receives reassurance and guidance from his interactions with Ken, the newest addition to the Blackwing subjects. Meanwhile, Bart is traveling solo, looking for Ken every chance she gets. She is now in a self-imposed rehabilitation from her innate violent ways, but it's not yet clear what impact her defiance will have on the universe. Elsewhere, a woman named Suzie Boreton has a very bad day. Everything and everyone continues to be connected… from the sterile chambers of Blackwing, to the sleepy town of Bergsberg and the magical land of Wendimoor. After a few misfires, Dirk Gently steadily finds his footing on the new case to "find The Boy," and with the help of his friends, makes the necessary connections to solve the mystery before it's too late.
Characters
Click picture to see bio.

Media

First Episode of S2 is available free on the BBC America website.

iTunes
Amazon

Last edited:

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
The first season was a blast.
Does anyone know when S2 will be available on Netflix (in Europe, as I heard Netflix US won't get it?)

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the first series(especially Bart), it was surprisingly good. Cant wait for this one.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone else started the thread! Literally was going to start putting one up tomorrow.

So far this season has been good. Not as good as the prior one I feel, basically because the big reveal (another dimension in place of time travel) is given to use from the jump, and almost immediately we know what they have to do to get there (magic book). I guess last season it was spoiled time travel was a plot point in episode one, but it was at least unclear how they were gonna get there.

Still, love the set-up so far and can't wait to see how everything pays off.

OP
OP
Geist

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater"
This show is such a trip.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I really need to sit down and just watch this. Adams is one of my favorite authors and the Dirk Gently books were great.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I really enjoyed the first season but didn't know about a second one so this is a pleasant surprise!

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This season is outweirding the first one, as hard as that was.

The first season was a blast.
Does anyone know when S2 will be available on Netflix (in Europe, as I heard Netflix US won't get it?)

Echoing this question. Will probably wait for it to end to binge through all at once.

I also would like to know when it's on Netflix. The first season was a huge surprise to me; I loved the hell out of it.

The first one was added to Netflix a few weeks after the season ended, so I assume it will be the same for this one.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I always liked Max Landis' youtube videos but was pretty tepid on movies he was involved in. This show though, this is something special.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up, aaaaand now for Purple People Eater to be stuck in my head the next couple days.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
That was...maybe the weirdest hour of the series yet. Which is saying something. :P

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
was a bit tepid on the first one, will probaly finish it before s2 is fully available on Netflix

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last season we had the cops to anchor us in reality a bit more, this season everyone is in the weird zone so it all feels a bit ridiculous.

I'm loving every second though :p

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last week had an odd direction in editing that didn't quite gel. DG has always been pretty good in moving characters from scene to scene, but that episode had major gaps throughout the first half.

Can't say I care for the antagonists in this season outside of the Blackwing characters. The Mage has potential, but he's barely present and the goal isn't quite clear as a whole. Can't care about Susana when anything that looks to give her some dimension is just another mask of her being a POS.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
"This nerdy bullshit sounds exactly like the kind of nerdy bullshit I'd expect you to be involved in"

Got quite the chuckle out of that one

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a reason Bart didn't kill Suzie early in the season, right? Isn't that how Bart works?

Also, I really want to know what Ken's big picture game plan is.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
So there's a reason Bart didn't kill Suzie early in the season, right? Isn't that how Bart works?
Bart went against what she was supposed to do thinking it would make her a better person. She was supposed to kill Suzie. It's the reason Suzie was able to use the wand on Bart. Bart is invincible as long as she's following the will of the universe, and she went against it. The only other time she's been vulnerable was when she tried to kill Dirk last year, cause she didn't realize she was there for other reasons.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Do people like Priest as a character? It seems off to me that he would be trusted at Blackwing (he's TOO trigger happy), but then again why would any serious organization not realize Hugo was essentially worthless as a decision maker.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Bart went against what she was supposed to do thinking it would make her a better person. She was supposed to kill Suzie. It's the reason Suzie was able to use the wand on Bart. Bart is invincible as long as she's following the will of the universe, and she went against it. The only other time she's been vulnerable was when she tried to kill Dirk last year, cause she didn't realize she was there for other reasons.

Ah, so you're saying if Bart did her thing, a lot of this current mess wouldn't be an issue?

Do people like Priest as a character? It seems off to me that he would be trusted at Blackwing (he's TOO trigger happy), but then again why would any serious organization not realize Hugo was essentially worthless as a decision maker.

I was under the impression they stopped using him because of something he did and the moron called him back, but he could have just been out of the game when blackwing went on hiatus.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show has been my guiltiest pleasure. I was down for what season 1 became, but this is something really special.

Also, it must be fun as hell to film.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a lot of this season is Bart's fault for not doing what she does.

That's actually a really good plot point for a future season. Since all the Blackwing subjects are connected somehow, and the words Ken and Priest have been using to one another imply that they converge based off triggers....

Real question is who channeled via Mona

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
"Can you turn into a bug?"

"Only emotionally"

lol

EDIT:

I thought the finale was pretty solid. I liked how conclusive it felt (good in case it doesn't get renewed).

Last edited:

Deleted member 7430

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dirk Gently is Earthbound 4 in everything but name. Toy weapons, monsters, a badge, Figmilipoo were just saved. Just waiting for someone to start praying now. Might be my favorite show ever. 5 episodes to go.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
im kind of disappointed with what they are doing with Ken. Bart looked heartbroken at the end.

Hope this gets a S3. What a fun and super weird season