• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
DiRT-5.jpg

Updating these as they come in!

OpenCritic: 83

Written Reviews

Eurogamer (unscored)

A new studio in charge sees Dirt retain some of its old swagger in a fun, frequently beautiful but occasionally hollow arcade racer.

COGconnected (89%)

If you've been itching to get back in the driver's seat, DIRT 5 is what the doctor ordered. Despite a lackluster career mode that fails in both connecting to the player and building tension, DIRT 5 succeeds where it matters most. Driving. This is the best representation of off-road vehicular shenanigans I've ever had the joy of playing. Mastering my skillset and conquering each course was as fun as any racing game over the last five years – I attribute much of this to each class of car being as certifiably entertaining as the last. It isn't often I find this to be the case. It won't replace Forza, and it won't replace Gran Turismo, but it doesn't need to.

I'm not sure if any other racing game better simulates driving on… well, dirt.

cogconnected.com

DIRT 5 Review - Playing in the Mud

Codemaster's long-running franchise is back with the latest installment, DIRT 5. Can the UK based developer keep the series on track? Or has it been driven off a cliffside? Read on to find out.

PCGamesN (8/10)

Ultimately, I enjoyed my time with Dirt 5 a lot. It's a game that feels like a series rediscovering its swagger, inspired by younger contemporaries to come out swinging once more. It might not be the deepest career mode experience, or in some cases the most challenging, but you know what? That's okay. Not every game has to be Dark Souls, and not every racing game has to be a hardcore sim experience. If Forza Horizon is a big open toy box full of cars to play with, Dirt 5 is a series of playsets for you to shove cars into the launcher and ramp off of high things. And hey, in the current darkest timeline we live in, that sounds like a damn good time to me.

www.pcgamesn.com

Dirt 5 review – muddy good fun

A series of playsets to Forza Horizon's big open toybox, Codemasters' latest off-road racer is a brash and colourful romp

WccfTech (9/10)

DIRT 5 offers a new path for the DIRT series and treads it brilliantly. The core numbered titles have always been slightly more arcade, but this takes it to a whole other level and is fantastic because of this move. This is an incredibly approachable and varied racing game that takes you on a tour of several racing styles in far-flung places across the globe. With every new console generation comes a new generation of racing games, DIRT 5 is that game. It looks fantastic, it's incredibly fun and it's polished to a great level and is arguably the best game to come out of Codemasters.

wccftech.com

DIRT 5 Review - I Think I Superlike You

Codemasters is going next-gen with the release of DIRT 5 and pushing further towards arcade than any game in the series so far.
Twinfinite (4/5)

The addition of PlayGrounds is the perfect example of just how different Codemasters' approach to Dirt 5 is. It's not supposed to be a hardcore off-road sim, it's designed to be a game that weaves the series' traditionally excellent racing mechanics into a package that's accessible and focused on fun before everything else.

That lack of challenge and sense of progression won't be for everyone, and might even put off Dirt veterans, but Dirt 5's a varied and beautiful racing game that's a blast from event number one.

twinfinite.net

Dirt 5 Review - Stripped-back Racing

Dirt 5 on PlayStation 4 & PlayStation 5 Update: We have added our post-release thoughts on the PS5 version of Dirt 5 at the bottom of this review.

Attack of the Fanboy (4.5/5)

Even with an enhanced version on the horizon that includes 120 fps with the arrival of next generation consoles, Dirt 5 delivers a fantastic off-road racing experience full of content that will keep you busy not only on the track, but also off with the addition of the new Playgrounds arena editor. Considering there is a free upgrade to the next-gen version as well, there is no reason not to go ahead and pick this one up if you were at all interested, especially if you are a fan of the franchise.

attackofthefanboy.com

Dirt 5 Review | Attack of the Fanboy

The Dirt series has been around for a number of years now, even way before it had the Dirt name attached to it. Once known as the Colin McRae Rally

PC Gamer (60%)

Dirt 5 isn't a bad game, then. It's not a Project CARS 3. The two make interesting points of comparison, though. Both take the bizarre decision to distance their IPs from sim racing at a time when it has never been more popular, and possibly never will again, yes. But whereas Slightly Mad's game seems to be jutting out its chin and actively daring you to find something of the franchise's prior identity which you liked among its new mess of utterly characterless racing, Dirt 5 is guilty of the opposite. Instead of jettisoning its identity it's playing too safe, holding onto it too closely in search of the apocryphal casual racing gamer who's scared of brake pedals.

www.pcgamer.com

Dirt 5 review

Codemasters' latest ventures down a well-travelled track.

God is a Geek (9/10)

DIRT 5 is an excellent racer with tons of race modes that allow you to experiment with all the cars you have at your finger tips. The Career is fun and challenging, and the sense of progression is satisfying. Some of the modes are tough to get to grips with, and I wasn't a fan of Sprint, but there's so much more that it never felt like I was stuck for a good time. DIRT 5's online mode promises to be yet another great addition to the game, but at present we haven't been able to try it out. As soon as players are populating the servers we intend to dive back in and give you the lowdown on how the Vampire mode works, because who doesn't want to evade a vampire car? With some great presentation and a banging soundtrack, DIRT 5 is an excellent step up from the last entry in the series, and I can't wait to dive in to the online modes.

www.godisageek.com

DIRT 5 review | GodisaGeek.com

DIRT 5 offers a fantastic rally experience, with tons of race modes and cars to play around with, as well as an engaging Career mode.

Gamespew (9/10)

is one of the most joy-inducing racing games of this generation. Nothing quite compares to hurtling around a muddy track in an exotic locale, using the handbrake to get the back end out around sharp corners and trading paint with opponents as you fight for positions, all while navigating bumps and breath-taking jumps. The dirt being thrown up by tyres realistically accumulating on your vehicle until it's a mess only adds to spectacle of it all. This is a showy game, but one that also has perfectly-honed physics, making it challenging but accessible to all. And while some of that magic is lost when you make your way into Playgrounds, the sheer creativity it offers is more than enough compensation.

www.gamespew.com

DIRT 5 Review – GameSpew

The sheer variety of locations, cars and event types to be found in its career makes DIRT 5 a delight. But its online options may disappoint.

Glitched (8/10)

DIRT 5 is fun. While it lacks the depth of past games, I thoroughly enjoyed the arcade approach. One can just jump in, play a race and go back to watching Netflix or something. It is not overly complicated by any means. Just a fun content-packed racing game for the masses.

www.glitched.online

DiRT 5 Review

DIRT 5 has a vibrant new coat of paint and overall the new arcade racing approach makes it one of the best entries in the series.

Metro (7/10)

Codemasters' latest rally game is less concerned with being a simulation and more with ensuring it's accessible and fun for all.

Loud, brash, brightly coloured tracks with a rousing selection of cars and racing styles in a game that's much more about fun than serious simulation.

metro.co.uk

Dirt 5 review – rallying for everyone

Codemasters’ latest rally game is less concerned with being a simulation and more with ensuring it’s accessible and fun for all.

The Sixth Axis (unscored)

DIRT 5 strips away the more serious elements of the franchise and puts all its eggs in one, arcade cabinet shaped, basket. At times a riot, in other areas a little repetitive and lacking in finesse, it nevertheless delivers on the concept of an adrenaline-fueled off-road racer. It's a game that makes you sit forward in your seat and savour the joys of jumping a Dakar Rally Peugeot 3008 over a ravine.

www.thesixthaxis.com

DIRT 5 Review | TheSixthAxis

Sega Rally Remastered

Screenrant (4/5)

Overall, DIRT 5 is an absolute blast. Aesthetically pleasing and with extremely fun gameplay, the title is only held back by its odd frustrating moment and a campaign that feels a little on the brief side. However, its positives far outweigh the negatives, particularly with elements that have the potential to keep players coming back for more.

screenrant.com

DIRT 5 Review: Well Worth Getting Grimy For

A showcase of exciting arcade offroading.

IGN Italia (8/10)

Codemasters takes the fun road for its new Dirt: it's not the best in the series, but it's exciting to play, even considering some technical issues on current-gen consoles.

it.ign.com

Dirt 5 - La recensione

Benvenuti al luna park di Codemasters!

Video Reviews

Tres Mandos (9/10)

Critical Hit (85%)

Last edited:

MoFo2

Oct 27, 2017
Their official twitter-handle @dirtgame is posting review scores en masse (but only the positive ones?). Maybe OP can copy from there as well?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I kept making excuses for this game why it looks so bad in videos "this has to be youtube compression, it just isn't a looker in videos" etc.

No, enough of that. Game just looks awful. Latest batch of videos confirms this for me. Terrible screen tearing, flat lightning, ridiculous popin that should not happen on such powerful next gen systems with SSD storage.

Metascore for this will be 50-65.

Serious Sam You were wrong, like really really wrong.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I am really liking where these reviews are going. I can take a mundane progression system if the actual racing gameplay is great and it sounds like it is. Just need to wait to see what platform makes the most sense for me.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like we're missing most of the bigger sites still (Gamespot, Polygon, etc) but reviews are coming in thick and fast!

Looks like no reviews are from the next gen version. All PC, Xbox One or PS4 by the looks of it.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Surprised at the positive reception. We´ve been reviewing it for our argentinean media and we consider it to be among the weakest Codemasters output of the few last years.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I see the game has been reviewed on PC and suddenly wondered if I should buy it there with a 980ti, or if I can expect better graphics on PS5?

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at the positive reception. We´ve been reviewing it for our argentinean media and we consider it to be among the weakest Codemasters output of the few last years.
Just skimming some of the blurbs I'd guess that people who are very familiar with Codemasters other games have a different perspective on Dirt 5 than people who are approaching it without that context.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I see the game has been reviewed on PC and suddenly wondered if I should buy it there with a 980ti, or if I can expect better graphics on PS5?

I'd go PS5. Its GPU is roughly comparable to a 2070, while your 980 Ti is about as good as a 1070.

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
Hey Poor Player - 4/5

"Dirt 5 is that one friend you love to go out drinking with. It's brash, bold, and it's a lot of fun. It's got a bunch of awesome tracks and a dynamic weather system that works really well, and then the playgrounds mode injects much-needed longevity into a game that might become stale after 20-30 hours or so.

However, if you're looking for a racing experience where detail, precision, and tinkering is important then Dirt 5 isn't for you. But if it's fun you're after, you'll have a blast."

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2020/11/02/dirt-5-review-pc/

Last edited:

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Im excited for this! Really miss Sega Rally so if this can stretch that itch. Went w/ the PS5 version for full DuelSense support.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Our review in Spanish (Tres Mandos):

Best things:

- Good graphics
- Good audio (OST, sound effects...)
- Original and diverse game modes
- Different driving styles and cars
- Good AI

Worst things:
- Frame drops on "graphics mode"
- Loading times

Conclusions (google translate):

'Dirt 5' is the most complete delivery to date and features the most original vehicles in the world of Rally and other related aspects. In general, it is a great arcade driving game, with a technical and sound section of the flag, with the circuits and the most worked modes of the franchise. The additions of dynamic weather and day / night cycling combined with a very successful choice of circuits make it a must for fans of arcade racing games. The Career mode offers content to spend tens of hours at the controls, and the rest of the content is a more than interesting addition that helps to stretch the longevity of the title. 'Dirt 5' is, by all accounts, an arcade automotive festival.

We reviewed the Xbox ONE X version.

Video is in the OP (thank you OP)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Not finished my review yet but as a newcomer to the series I really enjoyed it. It doesn't do much new for the racing game but it's a nice casual racer which I'm kinda craving right now.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing reviews say that it looks great at times, often accompanied by a screenshot that suggest the opposite.

Most of the reviews I've come across are text only. Am I missing videos with footage?

Fenzer

Nov 6, 2017
Would love to buy it on PS4 but the fact that we can't transfer saves to PS5 is really annoying

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I keep seeing reviews say that it looks great at times, often accompanied by a screenshot that suggest the opposite.

Most of the reviews I've come across are text only. Am I missing videos with footage?

Yeah I'm looking foward to installing it on PS5 honestly. On base PS4 the 60hz mode looks really ugly visually, while the better graphics are only in 30fps.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
PC Gamer complaining that Dirt isn't a Sim game and is losing the series identity when it's not a series known for Sim racing is uh...a choice?

Good reviews overall though.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Just skimming some of the blurbs I'd guess that people who are very familiar with Codemasters other games have a different perspective on Dirt 5 than people who are approaching it without that context.
Eh, hard to say really. Dirt is a franchise that has had some weird personality shifts. Like, I still can't understand why they thought it was a good idea to make Dirt 4 much more realistic, when it was straddled either side by Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0. Why spin that off, and do full on rally sim driving, if you were going to push the mainline franchise way more in that direction?

Dirt 5 looks to be a game for people like me who think Dirt 2 was a high point of the main series... but Codemaster's racing games run the gamut from hardcore anxiety inducing sims, to fun arcady smash em ups like On Rush. So I think it's going to come down to what you want from the Dirt franchise.

Me, I want a Dirt that feels like a sequel to Dirt 2, and I'm happy to hear that we may well have that here.

PC Gamer complaining that Dirt isn't a Sim game and is losing the series identity when it's not a series known for Sim racing is uh...a choice?

Good reviews overall though.
That's kind of what I'm getting at though. Dirt 4 was much closer to being a sim than other dirt games. If you liked that, this probably isn't for you. But then, Dirt Rally 3.0 is a certainty. This franchise has been all over the map.

Pey

Nov 27, 2017
Argentina
My review in Spanish (6.5): https://www.pcmrace.com/2020/11/02/dirt-5-review/ (also has some 4k pics)

"In short, Dirt 5 is a truly forgettable game that can matter to a very specific sector of the genre: those players who miss the times when arcades were much simpler and spent hours squeezing experiences like Daytona USA, the Cruis' n '…, Virtua Racing or the early Need for Speed. Codemasters' proposal to separate the franchise into two conceptual lines was very interesting if two complete and attractive gameplay structures were built, and while Dirt Rally seems to get better with each installment, the original Dirt just seems to have been summarized to the least possible expression, even at lower levels than the first games in the saga."

Plus six videos and the benchmark at 4K @ Ultra High Settings in my channel:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of what I'm getting at though. Dirt 4 was much closer to being a sim than other dirt games. If you liked that, this probably isn't for you. But then, Dirt Rally 3.0 is a certainty. This franchise has been all over the map.
Dirt 4 was definitely the odd one out on that front though, as you said, the series isn't really known for that and Dirt 4 felt like them trying to bring the success of Dirt Rally over the main series. This seems more like a return to the more arcadey style the series is known for after that didn't catch on, kinda the opposite of what PCGamer was expecting?

I dunno, it's a weird review. Not a badly written one or anything, just that one point stands out.

Looks like PC Gamer has had a brainfart and confused it with Dirt Rally.
This is kinda the only thing I can think of.

Aug 30, 2020
PC version seems to be a mess :/

www.dsogaming.com

Dirt 5 PC Performance Analysis

Dirt 5 is using an enhanced version of the Onrush engine, so we decided to benchmark this new racing game and see how it performs on the PC platform.

This is all tested on ultra high (or am I missing something?), and they're targeting next gen consoles. At the very least I'd expect a 8c/8t CPU to have major hitching problems similar to these results when the target spec is 8c/16t.

Seems to me with a PC greater than next gen consoles you'll get greater than next gen performance standards. The standards have changed.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Can't wait to play this, as I prefer Arcady racers. Hope the series X version turns out, if not, I'll nab on ps5 whenever I can get a preorder.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sounds great. Shame that the career mode is not the best but the driving seems great.
Guess I'll wait till it's on GP or sale

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
Eh, hard to say really. Dirt is a franchise that has had some weird personality shifts. Like, I still can't understand why they thought it was a good idea to make Dirt 4 much more realistic, when it was straddled either side by Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0. Why spin that off, and do full on rally sim driving, if you were going to push the mainline franchise way more in that direction?

Dirt 5 looks to be a game for people like me who think Dirt 2 was a high point of the main series... but Codemaster's racing games run the gamut from hardcore anxiety inducing sims, to fun arcady smash em ups like On Rush. So I think it's going to come down to what you want from the Dirt franchise.

Me, I want a Dirt that feels like a sequel to Dirt 2, and I'm happy to hear that we may well have that here.

Yeah, Codemasters announced after releasing Dirt 4 that the "Dirt" series will now be arcade-y, while "Dirt Rally" will be their sim series.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like we're missing most of the bigger sites still (Gamespot, Polygon, etc) but reviews are coming in thick and fast!

Looks like no reviews are from the next gen version. All PC, Xbox One or PS4 by the looks of it.

Kinda feel they should have waited for next gen code for review but I guess timing was against them.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
My review in Spanish (6.5): https://www.pcmrace.com/2020/11/02/dirt-5-review/ (also has some 4k pics)

"In short, Dirt 5 is a truly forgettable game that can matter to a very specific sector of the genre: those players who miss the times when arcades were much simpler and spent hours squeezing experiences like Daytona USA, the Cruis' n '…, Virtua Racing or the early Need for Speed. Codemasters' proposal to separate the franchise into two conceptual lines was very interesting if two complete and attractive gameplay structures were built, and while Dirt Rally seems to get better with each installment, the original Dirt just seems to have been summarized to the least possible expression, even at lower levels than the first games in the saga."

Plus six videos and the benchmark at 4K @ Ultra High Settings in my channel:

That's a great way to sell the game. The racing genre has been really lacking in genuine arcade racers over the past generation.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda feel they should have waited for next gen code for review but I guess timing was against them.

Yeah, agreed. I suppose the game technically comes out before next gen (like Watch Dogs, that also had reviews only of current gen/PC) so they need to get the reviews done.

Plus they'll get a nice little press bump when the next gen versions unlock I guess.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good reviews for an arcade racing game. I'll pick it up on PS5 at some point, who knows, maybe at launch.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I created a different type of video as I figured tons of channels would have traditional content made.

I captured the game in split-screen, in framerate mode, AND using remote play. I must say, it held up pretty well even if it was a bit grainy.
Bonus fun fact, the entire career mode can be played in split-screen co-op, which is a rarely seen feature these days.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I'm definitely of the opinion Dirt 2 was the highwater mark. But I do think even the arcadey Dirt stuff always had more driving depth than the Evolution Studios games. And if this is just an Evolution Studios game with the Dirt license, meh. Which is why I'm not liking some of these reviews here.

That's a great way to sell the game. The racing genre has been really lacking in genuine arcade racers over the past generation.

I always felt like the Dirt games were the evolution of those games, though. Those games all have incredible memories for me, but they're really not any fun for me to play anymore. They're way too simplistic. I felt like Dirt took the spirit of those games and took it forward. If it's a step backwards, that's not good.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for this game. I really can't wait to see what people cook up in the creation mode.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man I'm really happy they went arcadey Hoping it brings back the motorstorm feeling. Fuck using brakes.