• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
. The DualSense is great. When we got the tech demo up and running the whole studio came around and everyone wanted a go. It offers something new and unique and we felt it fits really well for racing, especially for a game with such diversity of content and cars.

The power of the PS5 also means that we will have an option for 120fps, which is very exciting for the racers who know that every frame counts.
https://www.psu.com/news/dirt-5-ps5-120-fps-dualsense/

Expected, but good to have proper confirmation.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I would have been surprised if there wasn't, given the same base architecture in both. That's not a dev that generally messes around on multi-plats.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Did we know prior to this if the PS5 would support 120hz output? (I legitimately don't know if they mentioned that)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Did we know prior to this if the PS5 would support 120hz output? (I legitimately don't know if they mentioned that)

I was actually wondering this as I wrote my previous reply. I've assumed it would have the generic VRR support, but I can't remember a specific announcement. Anyone else know for sure?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yeah it's been known a while. It's even mentioned on the PS5 website:

Up to 120fps with 120Hz output
Enjoy smooth and fluid high frame rate gameplay at up to 120fps for compatible games, with support for 120Hz output on 4K displays.

www.playstation.com

PlayStation®5 | Play Has No Limits | PlayStation

Everything you need to know about the PlayStation®5 console and PlayStation®5 Digital Edition with a new slim PS5 design. The best PS5 games, PS5 accessories, and the DualSense wireless controller.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Screw 120fps. I CAN'T WAIT to use the dualsense, especially on a driving game.

This looks like a lock as the go to driving launch game.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Also nice to see that third-party developers are excited about the new DualSense features. Hopefully that means a lot of third-party games will support those.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yes, don't know when they announced it specifically but the official site's mentioned it for a few weeks now

Hmm, will that allow for a VR mode?
For crossgen games, I doubt power will be an issue when it comes to VR modes. Whether Codemasters wants to do it or not is another thing.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'm excited about the controller haptics too.

I think it will contribute so much to the immersive qualities in games that are trying to be immersive already.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's been known a while. It's even mentioned on the PS5 website:

www.playstation.com

PlayStation®5 | Play Has No Limits | PlayStation

Everything you need to know about the PlayStation®5 console and PlayStation®5 Digital Edition with a new slim PS5 design. The best PS5 games, PS5 accessories, and the DualSense wireless controller.

(Thanks for pulling that up)

Something that people will be glad to experience if/when they get some time in on VRR displays is that framerate fluctuations (so long as things stay above 40-45 fps) have little-to-no judder, and so long as the performance is ~90fps, you're already "feeling" a noticeable jump from 60 fps. We're thankfully at a time when most drops below the target won't be as impactful as they were this gen.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
HDMI 2.1 automatically supports it, so they never had to outright say it

HDMI 2.1 can transmit it, but it's different if source can send (or tv can receive). HDMI 2.1 doesn't have mandatory 120fps requirement for devices.
So there's still need to say what modes device can receive/send.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Pretty much identical CPU's. Anyone who thought this wouldn't be the case hasn't been paying attention.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
User banned (2 months) - Console warring, history of similar infractions
Cool, I hope this means The Medium will be 30fps and not 20 when/if it launches on PS5.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has said PS5 supports 120hz, but I don't blame people for being wary.

The PS4 Pro doesn't support 1440p even though that is a resolution it normally can achieve. And the problem with supersampling. They do seem to have learned a lot about video outputs this time around.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Actually, the cpu which is slightly weaker on ps5, is more likely to be the bottleneck here imo.
It sounds like after compression, the series x puts the rest of the I/O work on the CPU, where The PS5s custom controller handles everything. How much work that is we don't know.

we don't know the full stories of these consoles enough to really make a definitive statement in that regard.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played a racing games at 120/144fps? Curious how much difference it makes.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Will hdmi 2.1 be needed to support this? I got a 1440p 144hz display a few months ago and I don't really want to get a new one. Lol

kris_ffc

Jun 3, 2020
Don't have a telly that can make use of the 120fps, but I like that they seem to be taking advantage of some of the features of the controller.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
Has anyone played a racing games at 120/144fps? Curious how much difference it makes.

if you can maintain a locked 60 fps with good frame pacing it makes very little difference imo. Racing games that run at 60fps without drops already feel extremely smooth, hard for me to tell a difference. However, if you're playing in VR then you're going to want all the frames per second.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sony has said PS5 supports 120hz, but I don't blame people for being wary.

The PS4 Pro doesn't support 1440p even though that is a resolution it normally can achieve. And the problem with supersampling. They do seem to have learned a lot about video outputs this time around.
The PS4 Pro doesn't support 1440p because they're only targeting HDTV resolutions. Many (not all) 1440p will downscale the 4K resolution to 1440p anyways