• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I remember playing the first Dirt Rally and like the second race was a night race and immediately lost my lights. Lol that was a learning experience for sure. I felt pretty prepared for that eventuality this time around.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to vote with my wallet in a case like this (which i also do in positive ways, e.g. by supporting smaller developers day one, ...). I doubt it will influence developers/publishers in any way and it seems i'm missing out on a great sequel. But i'll get to play it in a more complete and bug free version in a few months.

you do you, but if you want more dirt rally, possibly with a bigger budget next time, voting with your wallet should be supporting them full price. IMO anyway

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
In my case, Dirt Rally 2.0 went from a "will buy day one without any doubt" (i loved Dirt Rally) to a "will buy without any doubt at the first sale" after the DLC and deluxe edition announcement. It rubbed me the wrong way, especially leaving out snow and Dirt Rally remastered tracks, both to be released within weeks after release, and including events/challenges that are only playable if you own the deluxe version, regardless of any future DLC (apparently this is the case judging by the video review posted earlier?). Always online for career mode didn't help either but this was not the main reason. Also, i remember DLC shenanigans from Codemasters in Dirt 3, after which iirc they didn't do any DLC in any of their games except maybe Onrush.

I tend to vote with my wallet in a case like this (which i also do in positive ways, e.g. by supporting smaller developers day one, ...). I doubt it will influence developers/publishers in any way and it seems i'm missing out on a great sequel. But i'll get to play it in a more complete and bug free version in a few months.

That's not unreasonable at all. My position is that (a) im kind of surprised we're getting hardcore rally sims at all in 2019 and so I want to support them and (b) this series seems to be performing worse and worse with each entry and (as pointed out by janusff) it's quite niche now, so I want to support the devs financially with a full sale. I see people's point about the DLC plan but the game shipped with roughly the same content as the original - I dont really think it's fair to expect fully re done versions of all the first games tracks included with any given sequel.

My main bone to pick is online requirement (which to be fair is a non issue now that they've fixed their servers), the number of bugs people are running into, and the much increased frequency of night races compared to the first one. If only because I enjoy the lighting and visuals so much (and my TV is close to two large windows which makes them a pain during the day lol)

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
you do you, but if you want more dirt rally, possibly with a bigger budget next time, voting with your wallet should be supporting them full price. IMO anyway

I fully agree and i buy nearly every game (at least the ones i really want to play) day one to support developers or games in a niche genre. I think Dirt Rally 2 is the first game i'm not buying day one for reasons other than gameplay. It's a shame too because judging by the thread activity, the game needs every sale it can get.

Anyway, i don't want to derail the thread from the game itself. I just wanted to explain why some of us reading this thread aren't playing yet.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
On the positive side of potentially lower sales (?), my leaderboard position has never been better 😉

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to explain why some of us reading this thread aren't playing yet.

No, it's a good point - I think what people loved about DiRT Rally was, with the early access and the total re-build, it really felt like a heart-felt effort. The addition of a season's pass and the possible perception of hived off content, plus an unpolished release, I'm sure has left a bad taste in at least a few prospective customer's mouths.

I actually started a thread on this identity crisis the series is having, and I think we're seeing that play out here.

Also.. DiRT games go on pretty deep sales pretty quick :|

On the positive side of potentially lower sales (?), my leaderboard position has never been better 😉

lol

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's a good point - I think what people loved about DiRT Rally was, with the early access and the total re-build, it really felt like a heart-felt effort. The addition of a season's pass and the possible perception of hived off content, plus an unpolished release, I'm sure has left a bad taste in at least a few prospective customer's mouths.

Exactly. This is one of the reasons i loved Dirt Rally. It was barebones and rough around the edges but it did indeed feel like a passion project. Maybe it had something to do with Paul Coleman, who left Codemasters last year.

Anyhow, back to the game discussion :)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I really love the daily races. I'm a big fan of having a random track + random car mode in a racing game. It's something I've wanted in Forza/GT for a while. In Forza 7 I've got 300+ cars and however many tracks and I sometimes get paralysed by choice. I'd love it to just chuck a track and a car type at me and just go. I've been trying to get on DR2.0 at least once a day if only to mash out the daily races. Slowly feeling myself get better and more confident.

Looking forward to the new location coming.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So does the state of this thread suggest the game is not doing well, or is Era just not particularly interested in DR 2.0? There seems to be about 5 of us regularly participating

I haven't bought DR2 yet, and I likely won't be for awhile. For several reasons:

- The career being online only soured me a bit.
- Only being able to earn money to buy cars in the preset career mode while not being able to progress in player created events is terrible to me.
- The overabundance of night and rain stages is unappealing to me.
- Half of the game is rallycross again, which I have zero interest in.
- The lack of snow stages makes me sad.
- The lack of hill climbs makes me depressed.
- The team building aspect is less than DiRT 4 had, and that disappointed me.

Honestly there just isn't enough improvements in DR2 to pull me away from the combination of playing DR1 and DiRT 4, both of which I still love to play even today. If DR2 was focused on pure point to point rally stages with an abundance of content, including snow stages and hill climbs, while also having great team building aspects and allowing player created events for progression play, then sure I'd already own DR2. As it sits now though it's just not enough to make me spend the money on it, season pass and all. The previous games seem to be more what I want to play.

Hopefully they eventually patch and improve the game to make it a more appealing and substantive upgrade to the previous versions.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought DR2 yet, and I likely won't be for awhile. For several reasons:

- Only being able to earn money to buy cars in the preset career mode while not being able to progress in player created events is terrible to me.

Honestly there just isn't enough improvements in DR2 to pull me away from the combination of playing DR1 and DiRT 4, both of which I still love to play even today. If DR2 was focused on pure point to point rally stages with an abundance of content, including snow stages and hill climbs, while also having great team building aspects and allowing player created events for progression play, then sure I'd already own DR2. As it sits now though it's just not enough to make me spend the money on it, season pass and all. The previous games seem to be more what I want to play.

Hopefully they eventually patch and improve the game to make it a more appealing and substantive upgrade to the previous versions.

I hope you pick it up soon. Dr 2.0 is significantly better than dirt rally and especially 4

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, I don't care for it as much as the first. Still a fine game.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This new DLC cars are incredibly fun. Super fast and snappy. The daily/weekly challenges with them on Argentina are super fun.

That said, the more I play the game the more I realize I have very little idea of how to actually get good at it. It was simple initially - simply learning how to not crash all the time was the obvious thing to do, but now I can actually finish segments (and occasionally stages) cleanly and I'm still way behind the top times, with no real idea of what exactly I should be doing to go faster.

Not that this makes the game any less fun, but it's still a bit de-motivating in a way since I feel like I haven't really improved much at all even after 30 hours of playtime.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This new DLC cars are incredibly fun. Super fast and snappy. The daily/weekly challenges with them on Argentina are super fun.

That said, the more I play the game the more I realize I have very little idea of how to actually get good at it. It was simple initially - simply learning how to not crash all the time was the obvious thing to do, but now I can actually finish segments (and occasionally stages) cleanly and I'm still way behind the top times, with no real idea of what exactly I should be doing to go faster.

Not that this makes the game any less fun, but it's still a bit de-motivating in a way since I feel like I haven't really improved much at all even after 30 hours of playtime.

It's all down to carrying speed through corners, especially if you are using one of the underpowered slower ones.

Speaking of dlc cars, anyone else feel like the camera position in cockpit view is wrong? Both cars I feel like I'm struggling to see over the dash, the camera placement feels too low

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
It's all down to carrying speed through corners, especially if you are using one of the underpowered slower ones.

Speaking of dlc cars, anyone else feel like the camera position in cockpit view is wrong? Both cars I feel like I'm struggling to see over the dash, the camera placement feels too low

did not notice in the skoda, but you can change the seat up over button bindings. seat position is one of the first things i change in every car.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you pick it up soon. Dr 2.0 is significantly better than dirt rally and especially 4

I'm not sure yet. I'm not 100% sold on the stages yet, especially the more I race them. Just kind of seems they were more varied and 1.

Definitely better than 4 though, that game was a major misstep.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure yet. I'm not 100% sold on the stages yet, especially the more I race them. Just kind of seems they were more varied and 1.

Definitely better than 4 though, that game was a major misstep.

while you're right, i'd give the edge to dr1 for stages, the handling/physics is so much better in the sequel. it feels fantastic. i cant put it down.

plus, we'll have at least some of those fantastic stages rebuilt for dr 2.0. :O

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
What bothers me most is that DLC tracks won't be available in career mode. I really regret buying the Deluxe Edition.

Oh nooo, is this confirmed? That sucks so bad, I was about to post on here asking if the DLC tracks will be added to things like career mode/history events. I was so keen to show my full support by buying the Deluxe Edition and while things like the always online requirement/terrible blur on pro/frequency of night time events I can see past, this is completely disappointing and I am so put off supporting them as much as I can in the future.

And to top it off, I just read that you don't earn money from player created events?! This cannot be true surely... the first DR you could.

Who's making these decisions and why :( it's a great game but could be even better!!

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Oh nooo, is this confirmed? That sucks so bad, I was about to post on here asking if the DLC tracks will be added to things like career mode/history events. I was so keen to show my full support by buying the Deluxe Edition and while things like the always online requirement/terrible blur on pro/frequency of night time events I can see past, this is completely disappointing and I am so put off supporting them as much as I can in the future.

And to top it off, I just read that you don't earn money from player created events?! This cannot be true surely... the first DR you could.

Who's making these decisions and why :( it's a great game but could be even better!!

Codemasters confirmed this on Twitter. Dirt Rally 2 has so much potential, but several bad decisions are ruining the experience for me. I'm not even playing anymore until they fix the ridiculous amount of night/rain in the career and the terrible force feedback.

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
Codemasters confirmed this on Twitter. Dirt Rally 2 has so much potential, but several bad decisions are ruining the experience for me. I'm not even playing anymore until they fix the ridiculous amount of night/rain in the career and the terrible force feedback.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am man. It's just a game but damn, I was so looking forward to the remastered tracks. Hopefully there is some sort of backlash on Twitter? And they will add them to the different modes, such wishful thinking probably.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Can't tell you how disappointed I am man. It's just a game but damn, I was so looking forward to the remastered tracks. Hopefully there is some sort of backlash on Twitter? And they will add them to the different modes, such wishful thinking probably.

I asked them politely to reconsider that decision. Let's hope they'll listen.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The game itself, like how it handles and plays, is really the best it's ever been IMO. But yeah, theres a lot of disappointing aspects surrounding the game.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Would adding credits to custom events, where you could add dlc stages, solve the issue for you guys? Seems like an easy fix

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
Would adding credits to custom events, where you could add dlc stages, solve the issue for you guys? Seems like an easy fix

Absolutely, but ideally for them to be added to career mode/historic events. Or why not even add new historic events with the DLC stages, like GT Sport does with its events.

It just seems such an unnecessary limitation to not have the dlc stages in career mode, it's where most players will put time in to (especially to earn credits) surely? It would add such a diversity to career mode once all dlc rallies are released.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but ideally for them to be added to career mode/historic events. Or why not even add new historic events with the DLC stages, like GT Sport does with its events.

It just seems such an unnecessary limitation to not have the dlc stages in career mode, it's where most players will put time in to (especially to earn credits) surely? It would add such a diversity to career mode once all dlc rallies are released.
I agree completely and earlier posted as much. Hopefully they hear the feedback and are given the resources to make it happen. I love this game so much

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California

This is a point I reached, and that is why I really wish they had in-depth tutorials. Even trying to find vids on youtube is a crapshoot.

I've pretty much stopped playing the game because there's not a viable way to learn the advanced driving techniques

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
What bothers me most is that DLC tracks won't be available in career mode. I really regret buying the Deluxe Edition.

So none of the DLC tracks in Career or historic rally.
Ok. No season pass then, thanks for saving me money. -_-

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
This is a point I reached, and that is why I really wish they had in-depth tutorials. Even trying to find vids on youtube is a crapshoot.

I've pretty much stopped playing the game because there's not a viable way to learn the advanced driving techniques

This is an issue I have with DR1. I love DR1, but there is a skill wall which I simply can't seem to surpass, and over time it does detract from my fun with the game. It's probably why I find DiRT 4 so much damn fun. Sure it's not as "realistic" but I do find it to be a much better "game" than DR1. I can drive competitively in it, I can create my own custom events and earn money to buy new cars, I can build and manage my team in a variety of ways, I can customize my cars with sponsors and decals.

I do enjoy the sim aspects of DR, but sometimes I just want to have fun and feel like I've earned something, and for that I prefer DiRT 4.

I will buy DR2 in time but it seems to be very similar to DR1, which I already own. Yes it drives better but it's also lacking snow stages and hill climbs, plus I dislike night time rainy races too. I think I'll wait to see if they improve upon the "game" of DR2 in the near future or leave it to languish while heading off for the next installment in the series.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
FYI downloading an update on the x, 10 gb

where them patch notes at?

via Codemasters forums:

• Stability improvements across all modes
• Prevented negative times from posting to leaderboards
• OSD Dial can now be enabled in headcam
• New engine audio for Citroen C3 R5 and Ford Mustang GT4
• 'Upgraded' trophy/achievement will now unlock
• Darkness issue resolved when using interior cameras
• Softlock will no longer occur if user owns too many vehicles
• Proximity indicators are now available for rallycross
• Prevented exploit for claiming rewards multiple times
• Podium counter will now correctly update in My Team
• Prevented audio cut outs
• Joker Lap cut-scene is now skippable
• Custom online will no longer disconnect users in specific conditions
• Improvements and corrections to text (all languages)
• Improvements to subtitle content
• Accented characters will be entered correctly in user text fields
+ Server-side changes to weather/time of day frequency

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe so, I think Monte Carlo will be added on Tuesday

I think he's just saying the file is probably on there and it will unlock Tuesday. Not sure how this could be 10GB otherwise, they all seem like extremely minor changes. Didn't even really notice a difference in time of day frequency... I'm still getting about 1/4 races happening at 2 AM 🙄

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
We hangouts now, fam 😜 Anybody still playing lol? Thread hasn't seen action in 2 days.

Wondering if people who were having issues saw them ironed out by the patch.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
We hangouts now, fam 😜 Anybody still playing lol? Thread hasn't seen action in 2 days.

Wondering if people who were having issues saw them ironed out by the patch.
i absolutely am. still not as much as i'd like though, the game takes far too much concentration for a family man. i squeeze in play when the kids are out of the room ;)

nearly every day i'm hoping on for at least a few dailies though.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
i absolutely am. still not as much as i'd like though, the game takes far too much concentration for a family man. i squeeze in play when the kids are out of the room ;)

nearly every day i'm hoping on for at least a few dailies though.

haha i play after my daughter's in bed and my wife is working on the couch beside me and she haaaaaaates it now lol

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
IF we are lucky enough to get more rally DLC, what rallys would make your short list to include?

with rally corsica right around the corner, that would be an obvious choice. i dont think its been included in the past (maybe in cmr?) and it could make for GORGEOUS stages

NK201804515-S.jpg

of course africa, rally safari, would be incredible too

wrc-safari-rally-kenya-2002-harri-rovanpera.jpg

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
whats everyones wet strategy? if i'm entering a series of 2 stages without a service and one is wet, the choice is clear - wet tires. but 3 stages with one wet? i've been running soft/medium, but i lose so much time on the wet stage i'm not sure if thats the best option. so.much.understeer. i guess i'd probably lose more with wet tires on two stages of dry though. i suppose i could change the cars set up a bit to compensate for this? any tips?