• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
I think he's just saying the file is probably on there and it will unlock Tuesday. Not sure how this could be 10GB otherwise, they all seem like extremely minor changes. Didn't even really notice a difference in time of day frequency... I'm still getting about 1/4 races happening at 2 AM 🙄

Ah gotcha, that would make sense.

I played a few rallies and still getting quite a lot of night stages, more than feels necessary.

Loving the game though, really fun and addictive but I still feel 'half in half out', I guess it's because I'm waiting for all rallies to be released to really sink some time in to it.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Glad I caved and bought the season pass. The Monte Carlo stages are revolutionised in the new engine. The surface changes can be felt on the wheels that drive over them. Makes for some wonderfully slippy driving.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Sucks that I have to apparently wait till the NA PSN stores refreshes today to even play Monte Carlo. Won't show up in custom championship and when I try to click on the Monte Carlo daily it says I'm locked out. Even though I bought the DLC pass. Shit.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
xbox here - why do i have to go into the "store" option in game to find and download this content manually?

dying to give this a shot later

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Sucks that I have to apparently wait till the NA PSN stores refreshes today to even play Monte Carlo. Won't show up in custom championship and when I try to click on the Monte Carlo daily it says I'm locked out. Even though I bought the DLC pass. Shit.
So, you can't find it though the store in app but if you exit out and go to the store and go to add ons then new, you'll find the DLC to claim. FYI. Pretty clumsy stuff.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
monte carlo is awesome.

i ran a quick stage, the default one which is roughly 7 miles, and was doing so good... until i got mid-way through where i started hitting more patches of ice and even what looked like clear road was significantly more slippery. i had a few major mistakes but came to grips (ha!) with it.... until i hit the final 3rd which was ALL snow and ice. i kept the car in 4th for torque, but kept spinning tires and sliding my way through everything, using the ebrake when necessary to swing the tail around. while i was still posting green sections i knew i was losing time. then it hit me - at service i did what i always do - i swapped my tires to soft. surely there was a better choice!

raced the same stage again in the same car, this time with a winter set. i lost a few seconds in each of the early sections due to the decreased (but managable) grip, but boy did i make it back and then some for the remainder!

the tire choice is going to be REALLY significant racing a multi-stage event here. i imagine we'll get studded options for sweden?

also, i think this stage really shows off the car handling and predictability improvements of dirt rally. i loved the first, but aint no way in hell were my first ever runs in monte carlo in that game nearly as clean as these were. its not that the handling is easier, though it is, its just that everything feels more where it should be and the car behaves as i expect. every.time. the snow and ice feels just like it does in my own car (evo x) where the throttle can really, predictably, control the slide and set you up to throw it around or pull you out of a slide depending on inputs.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
ok, where'd we all place for the monte carlo weekly?

#438, 35:09.574

i think i had one track reset in 7 stages, but struggled with keeping speed and the flow on the ice/snow sections. EDIT: two offs. one on a downhill hairpin that i over shot and went over the bank and the second a tricky corner, by an ambulance, where i always go wide, hit the barricade and take a penalty (for hitting a pedestrian?)

EDIT2: OH SHIT, I'm not done! one more stage to go?

EDIT3: one more stage to go indeed!

#378, 39:14.955

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
606f1b73-308b-401d-8d74-fcf5eff14852.PNG

1e3f52cc-5801-415b-8f6e-8b187106819b.PNG

2cc9b8ae-6f61-4ad5-a129-643ac49d0a73.PNG

i kind of like the instagram filter and using that for screenshots

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome - just started up a new career mode rally and Monte Carlo is right in there

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
The game is on sale now for the first time on the PSN store: around 60€ for the deluxe and around 45€ for the standard edition.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Love Monte Carlo, super impressive upgrade. Andor the first time ever in both games, I actually won a stage! Granted notched the level down a bit, but still. I think 3rd was the best I've ever placed in DR1

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Game dropped considerably in price on EU PSN (deal of the week) and in various shops (boxed version).

I bought the digital deluxe version on PSN.

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Man Monte Carlo really highlights how much the handling model has improved from the last game. It's still tough as nails but it just feels great. Makes sense why I haven't been able to put the game down.

So for season 2 are we going to be getting Greece, Wales and Finland? Or new tracks?

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Man Monte Carlo really highlights how much the handling model has improved from the last game. It's still tough as nails but it just feels great. Makes sense why I haven't been able to put the game down.

So for season 2 are we going to be getting Greece, Wales and Finland? Or new tracks?
kinda wanna say it's the best handling rally game ever? Just feels so good.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly? Season 1 is focused on rally, I fully expect season 2 to be rallycross.

Which will suck.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i dream for corsica (starts today, anyone watching?)

Noooo.

They must have tons of user data from both DR1 and DR2 now to suggest people don't give a fuck about RC tho, no?
i would have thought - but here we are with dirt rally 2.0 with the game still dedicating a solid chunk of its content to that discipline.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone finding the achievements/trophies bugged? As an example, I'm supposed to get one for buying all 5 awd group b cars. I have, but no cheevo.

Could it be because I got the Quattro with the deluxe and didn't buy it?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Middle of the monthly, 3rd event, ranked in the 60s world wide and I get the sound bug. God damnit, wasn't this "fixed!?"

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm an old guy in love with Group B rally but i'm having serious fun with rallycross in this game. I would not write that mode off in all honesty.
Kinda wish the set up was a bit different for the event rally cross. Not a fan of racing the same track like 7 times in a row. But yeah, I don't exactly hate it, just vastly prefer the rally stuff. Also is it me or is Rallycross a bit easy?

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda wish the set up was a bit different for the event rally cross. Not a fan of racing the same track like 7 times in a row. But yeah, I don't exactly hate it, just vastly prefer the rally stuff. Also is it me or is Rallycross a bit easy?

It is indeed, at least the the first two categories you race in the career. My trick is going in blank without knowing the tracks. You learn them while racing the event.

I don't touch them outside of the career. I don't practice them. This makes things more interesting.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I do, its actually really good and i enjoy both R + RX.

RX was also the only good Mode in dirt4

fair enough - i actually enjoy the moment to moment racing action in rallycross, I just find the progression structure to be mind-numbing, playing the same race over and over. I completely recognize that's how it's done in the actual motorsport, but I feel like some options to reduce the number of rounds would do wonders.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of rally cross - it would be nice to get some AI races in the dailies/weeklies. I get that that would interfere with leaderboard times, just make it in addition to the current solo rallycross ones.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Maaaaan I'd been racing mainly with the behind the car view and just switched back to the cockpit view... I forgot how incredible and intense these guys make this experience. No wonder so many people adore DiRT Rally VR (haven't tried it myself)

Last edited:

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
fair enough - i actually enjoy the moment to moment racing action in rallycross, I just find the progression structure to be mind-numbing, playing the same race over and over. I completely recognize that's how it's done in the actual motorsport, but I feel like some options to reduce the number of rounds would do wonders.

i understand. personaly i prefer the emulation of the real thing. but i believe in custom you can dial down qualification rounds and number of rounds itself.

cockpit view is really great intense in dr1/2. but position is really a bit off in the 2000cc skoda. also can not drive from rear view with my wheel, my brain just cannot process that.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
cockpit view is really great intense in dr1/2. but position is really a bit off in the 2000cc skoda. also can not drive from rear view with my wheel, my brain just cannot process that.

In the control options, you can assign buttons (they are by default unassigned) to seat forward/back/up/down adjustment, so you can really adjust the position.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The little bushes in Australia, that can throw a car traveling at 120+kph off, really suck. Same with the tiny signs. Unrealistic.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so...

I just completed the Clubman (again, after getting demoted from pro for trying to retire and choose a different car lol) with the Mini Cooper, and placed first in every stage and every rally. Literally.

I advance to pro using the Skoda and... I legit can't place above like 10th, despite really feeling like I'm putting in good runs. I realize I can get better... but does no one else find this difficulty balance to be weird? Maybe part of the problem is I'm playing on controller, but I could advance to the third of fourth level in DR1.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so...

I just completed the Clubman (again, after getting demoted from pro for trying to retire and choose a different car lol) with the Mini Cooper, and placed first in every stage and every rally. Literally.

I advance to pro using the Skoda and... I legit can't place above like 10th, despite really feeling like I'm putting in good runs. I realize I can get better... but does no one else find this difficulty balance to be weird? Maybe part of the problem is I'm playing on controller, but I could advance to the third of fourth level in DR1.
yeah, its a big issue that i'm running into as well and has basically killed my solo career. i am curious to try a pro level run through with the lancia or mini, as those are far easier to drive at the limit than other cars. perhaps a podium every now and then would be possible.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, its a big issue that i'm running into as well and has basically killed my solo career. i am curious to try a pro level run through with the lancia or mini, as those are far easier to drive at the limit than other cars. perhaps a podium every now and then would be possible.

K I don't feel so bad given how you perform in dailies lol

Really thought their most recent patch would address balance :|

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been particulary good at this kind of games but i have the impression that the difficulty is higher than Dirt Rally? I'm placing very poorly on average (around 20th) with the occasional win (i won an event in Monte Carlo and Poland). Dirt Rally had a clear difficulty curve divided by categories and i was able to win and advance at least a few championships. Does the career in Dirt Rally 2 have a difficulty curve the further you progress or is it randomly generated?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been particulary good at this kind of games but i have the impression that the difficulty is higher than Dirt Rally? I'm placing very poorly on average (around 20th) with the occasional win (i won an event in Monte Carlo and Poland). Dirt Rally had a clear difficulty curve divided by categories and i was able to win and advance at least a few championships. Does the career in Dirt Rally 2 have a difficulty curve the further you progress or is it randomly generated?

IMO, the career mode starts at a 3 (out of ten), then goes to a 5, then you hit pro and its a 12. its been a while since i progressed through dirt rally 1, but i remember it being far more gradual in its difficulty increases and when i reached my own peak, i still felt that a podium was possible if i could race perfectly. thats not the case with dirt rally 2.0 where on pro i just get smashed on nearly all sections let alone full stages or events.

but the racing itself, keeping the car under control and not flipping from pebbles, is FAAAAAR easier in 2.0 than the first.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
revisiting my post on difficulty - because i just revisited my pro career, group A.

first stage and i finished 2 seconds behind first, next stage i was pushing my ass off and despite a couple small mistakes and close calls WON BY 10 SECONDS! i'm literally sweating. put me in 2nd overall after 4 stages. so i am now competitive at pro, its just going to take a lot of concentration and few mistakes. of course this is at new england, probably my best location... we'll see what happens when i hit monte carlo.

still, no argument, the difficulty ramps up too harshly, too quickly

EDIT: ok, first rally win on pro! by 53 seconds too (my main competition had a few rough stages...)!

Last edited:

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah fuck this game.

I've tried maybe 4 different classes in pro and I just can't keep banging my head on a wall.

I can place 100-200 in the weeklies and dailies but I can't clear pro difficulty.

Oct 29, 2017

Ive only just gotten back into this and still running the slow cars (Alpine A110) but it seems all over the place for difficulty. There are some stages where I cruise to a 24 second victory and others where Ive been pushing hard for a 2 sec win. Maybe they are trying to simulate good/bad setups from the competition? It just doesnt seem clear why there is such a big discrepancy.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fuck this game.

I've tried maybe 4 different classes in pro and I just can't keep banging my head on a wall.

I can place 100-200 in the weeklies and dailies but I can't clear pro difficulty.

i dont mean to call you out but i have a hard time believing you arent chasing podiums at the very least if you are placing times like that in the dailies/weeklies/monthlies, especially since unlike those the career allows you to restart (even if it is only 5 times).

Ive only just gotten back into this and still running the slow cars (Alpine A110) but it seems all over the place for difficulty. There are some stages where I cruise to a 24 second victory and others where Ive been pushing hard for a 2 sec win. Maybe they are trying to simulate good/bad setups from the competition? It just doesnt seem clear why there is such a big discrepancy.

its very much due to what you said. after each race you can look at notes and see issues the ai ran into during the stage and, of course, see where each driver placed.

also important to say that the really under powered cars are massively affected by elevation (argentina, i'm looking at you) and going uphill. under these conditions if you don't carry speed through a previous section you can lose huge amounts of time (that may not be obvious)

but i do also think its a little inconsistent and there are events and settings where the ai seems particularly good or bad --- but of course this is incomparison to my times. its at least as likely i'm the one that drives better/worse under certain conditions.