• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it's working it's all good and I like it a lot. Unfortunately I can't get to work for a whole stage. Crazy frame rate drops that make everything seem slow motion. I haven't even looked at the graphics options so everything is default. Shockingly bad and I'ts not my PC causing the frame rate to keep dropping down to single digits and then stay that way. It's too late to be messing about with it and I'm a bit disappointed.
Do you have a Fanatec wheel plugged-in ? It caused weird stutter to a friend, unplugging it made Dirt Rally 2.0 really smooth.

I only played two specials and it runs really well here, no stutter or low drops at all.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Era, I *loved* Rallisport Challenge 2 for Xbox. I know it's far more arcadey than sim but I absolutely adored it and I've been semi-interested in rally ever since. However, I haven't found anything that hooked me like RSC2. The arcadey Dirt games just didn't do it for me. I dunno, I didn't like the handling or the tracks. I even played the first Dirt Rally on PC but the twitchy and unforgiving gamepad controls got me to drop it.

Well, that Eurogamer review and all the talk about a drastically improved driving model has me interested in 2.0. And even though they look expensive as fuck, I'm kinda sorta eying a proper force feedback wheel and pedals.

I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I buy a new chair for a racing game, and buying stuff like an e-brake is probably too far for me.. But would you say that Dirt Rally 2.0 would play dramatically better with a good force feedback wheel and pedals? Something that clamps to a desk. And if so, I'd appreciate a recommendation on the hardware. The Eurogamer review mentions a Fanatec CSL Elite. Good/bad idea?

Also, how's the game on a plain old controller? Especially compared to Dirt Rally1!

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
Do you have a Fanatec wheel plugged-in ? It caused weird stutter to a friend, unplugging it made Dirt Rally 2.0 really smooth.

I only played two specials and it runs really well here, no stutter or low drops at all.
That's like…one of the weirdest fixes I've ever heard: stop using the thing that makes the game truly fun and the game will work again as it should. Really hope for your friend and others they'll fix this soon.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Performance on my i9-9900k & 2080 was very good, although there seems to be a bug with the crowd setting. When running with crowds on ultra or high, my framerate is cut dramatically, but medium or lower is fine. The setting wasn't taxing my CPU nor my GPU at all, but the framerate would just be low. Also the setting doesn't seem to do anything visually -- turning it off still keeps crowds around... Other than that it has been fine. I don't expect many PCs too be too taxed, as the utilization on my CPU and GPU are both quite low.

Game feels like Dirt Rally to me. Already had some really fun races. Headlights seem even more fragile than I remember em in DR, but it could be my choice of car. Either way I've spent a few night segments in darkness. One time I punctured a tire and it eventually burst and the sparks in the darkness looked real cool. Very, very good smoke & lighting (& lighting on smoke).

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo... keeps saying racenet is not available so I can't open the career mode 😐 anybody having this issue?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I didn't realize the main career mode required an internet connection. Their servers are still down and still can't connect to racenet, so haven't been able to even try the career, 30 minutes post unlock. No update pending. Tried going offline, rebooting, shutting it down... shitty.

EDIT: got in

Does this have PSVR support?

Nope, nothing announced yet.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance on my i9-9900k & 2080 was very good, although there seems to be a bug with the crowd setting. When running with crowds on ultra or high, my framerate is cut dramatically, but medium or lower is fine. The setting wasn't taxing my CPU nor my GPU at all, but the framerate would just be low. Also the setting doesn't seem to do anything visually -- turning it off still keeps crowds around... Other than that it has been fine. I don't expect many PCs too be too taxed, as the utilization on my CPU and GPU are both quite low.
Same exact thing. Not sure what was up but I did get a patch in the last couple days and not sure I turned it down but that seems to be gone. I was getting odd framerate issues there with that crowd setting as well.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just learned that this game is always online, can't play single player career without internet connection (thanks Steam forums). What the heck, why didn't any review mention this? This is big.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Played it a bit on PC, some graphic option is really taxing, I can't run this at more than 1080p maxed out.

Apart from that, the game looks and feels great. I crashed many times. Dark and happy times are coming.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The racenet bullshit is... well, bullshit. It makes loading times much longer and it just is not needed for single player.
Also I'm getting strange frame drops with a 8700k and 2080, like normally the framerate is between 90 and 120, then there's prolonged sessions of 50-60. Maybe I'll need to lower a few settings but eh.

The driving on gamepad feels hard as ever, but I think the driving model is an improvement based on the first hour, compared to DR1. Especially notable at low speeds.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, there seem to be some frame drops, it got better for me, after the last patch (during review process) and if you switch to borderless window instead of fullscreen (at least for me), but it can still drop below 60 fps at times. Before that it dropped even lower in fullscreen on certain parts of the stages and that on medium with a decent enough system. But it's not usually ok with High/Max settings at 1440p.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I bought Dirt Rally just for the VR on sale at some point, even though normally I don't play any racing games. While the experience with Rift was pretty good, I'm still waiting for next gen headsets and GPUs to really get a fun VR rally experience. I don't think I'll ever spend the money for a racing wheel, but a good VR implementation would definitely make for a compelling argument. Maybe in five years or so we're at that quality/performance level.

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
How is the online on DiRT games? Is it just leaderboards for each stage? Or is there online championships which take placed over several weeks?

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, that sounds really bad. What kind of specs are you running it on, if I might ask?

Ryzen7. Geforce 1080. 16gb of 3200 ram. a SSD etc.

I'd expect a couple frame fluctuations but not a situation where everything is fantastic then all of a sudden a slow frame drop into single digits that just went on and on like slow motion driving.

Yes I do. I have a Fanatec CSL Elite. I might test removing that later if I can find my gamepad.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
What wheel rotation degree are you guys using for Dirt Rally (2)? I've always used 540° so far but I'm considering using the full 1080° for DR2.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Let me give you my small and brief review after a championship in Australia: (on PC)

It's great, it's hard, it's more Dirt Rally. The cars feel powerful and hard to control, like in DR (way more unforgiving than Dirt 4, although there are parts of the physics that reminds me to Dirt 4, the best parts mind you, specially on how the car responds to certain surfaces).

The tracks are big, beautiful, full of traps, but super fun to navigate.

The engine really got an upgrade, specially in the lighting and the reflections in the car, it's the best Codemasters game, in my opinion (F1 2018 looks quite good as well, it's between these two).

In general, I'm really happy :)

EDIT: FOR PC PLAYERS, I found out that lowering the audience to medium and the shadows to high instead of ultra does magic in the framerate (and I've been testing, there's zero visual diferences, I don't really get it lol). Steady 1440p/60fps at everything else to the max, with a 1070.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to get a bit of time into this today, and some early impressions:

First of all, the always online career thing sucks. Maybe I'd be a bit more forgiving of it if the servers actually worked, but right now it feels like I have a 50/50 shot of actually getting into the game. It is by far the worst part of the game so far, and I'm stunned I've seen no mentions of it prior to release.

But once I actually manage to get into the game, it feels great, just like Dirt Rally 1 did. One thing I immediately noticed is that the game isn't kidding around. The first career race is a night rain event on a super long track. And the AI times are also anything but easy. Which is weird to me, because the PC Gamer review I've read explicitly said:

What these two deceptively different disciplines have in common in Dirt Rally 2.0 is that for the first few hours, you'll win them incredibly easily. That's not intended as a humblebrag: the AI really is that forgiving. Stack it even twice or three times on a single stage, and you might still expect to be towards the top of the classification with 20 seconds of penalties. Take an extra Joker lap—a longer layout of the circuit—by accident, and victory is by no means ruled out.

I mean, I expected to suck at this, but I did okay in the original Dirt Rally while constantly finishing in the bottom 10 here. Maybe the difficulty depends on the car class you're using, or maybe the reviewer is just super good at this. My first event I ended up 25th out of 30, and I don't think I'm driving that much worse than I was in the first game. I actually enjoy a challenge so it's fine, but I'm just surprised how different my experience is to the reviewer. Didn't play any Rallycross yet, so I can't comment on that.

The stages also feel great. This was actually my biggest issue with Dirt 4, because the randomly generated stages just did nothing for me.

One super small improvement that also stands out to me is that the pace notes now specifically call out turns that are hard to see because they're hidden behind rocks or stuff like that. Those always screwed me over in the original Dirt.

Performance wise, on a 1060/6600k the game runs perfectly fine on medium settings.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Still missing Hillclimb, but aside from that it's a good game again and I also preferred the career mode of Dirt 4 and would have loved to choose my co-driver or at least having the option for male/female voice-over in German ;)

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is just completely unplayable for me right now. Everything requires connecting to their servers (even things like moving through menus!) and those are super slow and don't even work most of the time.

I don't even usually mind this kind of always-online DRM, but this is just terrible.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I can't even get into the career mode... I always get a timeout error or that racenet isn't available at the moment (XBox).

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yes today Racenet is having issues as usual and we can't access career mode...
Bummer, man. I got the standard edition so won't be able to hop in till Tuesday. Hopefully all this will be sorted. I usually don't have a problem with always online games, so long as they work. Also I confess, I had no clue this was an always online game. As others have mentioned, I didn't see it mentioned in the reviews I read.

Error

Oct 30, 2017
Bummer, man. I got the standard edition so won't be able to hop in till Tuesday. Hopefully all this will be sorted. I usually don't have a problem with always online games, so long as they work. Also I confess, I had no clue this was an always online game. As others have mentioned, I didn't see it mentioned in the reviews I read.

That's because everyone is trying to have his review online as soon as possible. I learnt to take my time with every game for my reviews, I have it for one week and my review is not finished.

King Onion

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to play a bit last night after it unlocked and must have been early enough to not encounter server issues. I am by no means a Dirt Rally expect, though I did spend a lot of time with the first game, but this game is fuuuuuuun. Anyone else find it kind of rough that you start with no credits and need them to repair between stages in career? I know it will become less of an issue as I get better but I definitely had to bail out of a championship when I was faced with starting a night stage with no headlights. I did dip into the historic mode also and it seems like repairs there just affect your starting time so maybe that is intended to give you a batch of starting credits.

Performance on my machine was mostly fine. I have a RX 580, RYZEN 7 2700, 16GB RAM and only had one noticeable dip below 45 frames. I am usually around 60-80 on high settings though I want to try lowering this crowd option to see how it affects it. I also had one audio bug where I could only hear the slight tinkering of my car's internals shifting.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That an online connection is required to access the single player career mode was not detailed anywhere that I saw, until just now, so this comes as a total surprise.

I haven't had any problems yet, in the 30 minutes I've played, but the prospect of being unable to play the game you bought because the developer for some unjustifiable reason requires an online connection to access single player content, is pure garbage.

This is stupid. Disappointed. Goodwill-

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That an online connection is required to access the single player career mode was not detailed anywhere that I saw, until just now, so this comes as a total surprise.

I haven't had any problems yet, in the 30 minutes I've played, but the prospect of being unable to play the game you bought because the developer for some unjustifiable reason requires an online connection to access single player content, is pure garbage.

This is stupid. Disappointed. Goodwill-

It's like the Live stuff they put in their earlier PC games. I'm sure the legacy support on this will end even better;)

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

ah good. fwiw i tried twice this morning to test and both times got in right away.

That said, they should patch out the requirement - scores can upload the next time you're online. I basically plan on playing no MP in this game so an online requirement is really silly, particularly when it interferes with my ability to play the campaign.

Would be great if Codemasters had a community manager on Era. I know ArookCM used to be around when OnRush released but he doesn't seem to have an account anymore.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
ah good. fwiw i tried twice this morning to test and both times got in right away.

That said, they should patch out the requirement - scores can upload the next time you're online. I basically plan on playing no MP in this game so an online requirement is really silly, particularly when it interferes with my ability to play the campaign, and triply so when I paid for the deluxe version.

If I remember correctly Dirt 4 also had the always online requirement for the career and I think it has something to do with this "FIA official product".

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly Dirt 4 also had the always online requirement for the career and I think it has something to do with this "FIA official product".

Really, huh - I played DiRT 4 but may just not have realized. I actually recall DiRT Rally 1 always syncing or logging on to racenet, but I never tried playing it offline, so maybe the story was the same there. Anybody know?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's like the Live stuff they put in their earlier PC games. I'm sure the legacy support on this will end even better;)
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, even with the winky face.
Because Live was a mess and then it died, but Codemasters removed Live, put Dirt 3 on Steam and gave the Complete Edition away for free for a while.

Either way, it should start better. That way it's always better, not just at the end.
Perhaps Codemasters will remove this nonsense when they eventually pull the servers. But that shouldn't be counted on in any case ever.
Really, huh - I played DiRT 4 but may just not have realized. I actually recall DiRT Rally 1 always syncing or logging on to racenet, but I never tried playing it offline, so maybe the story was the same there. Anybody know?

Don't know if this was always the case with Dirt 4, but at this point in time the career works offline.

When it tries to upload your time, this pops up.
8EB8BC7E2A84CC20DEBBE60CD36E8D21ED1ACC07
Why Dirt Rally 2.0 doesn't work this way, I have no idea.

Last edited:

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
True. And Dirt Rally 2 looks so good as well. Can't stop watching streams and YouTube vids. Really excited to play it tomorrow!
I watched a very short YouTube video yesterday and I'm loving the sim aspect of this. It looked like this pretty much inexperienced player couldn't consider weight, momentum and grip all at the same time.

It's right up my ally is this.

As it happens I was going to cancel my pre-order this weekend so I could buy it in week 11 when we have the full Season's content but I received a notification the order has been processed already. That's like a week in advance!

Ha...oh well.

EDIT; Oh crap, the release date is Tuesday. Usually it's Friday in the UK. Got me good.

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Finally... the update is downloaded and it was worth the wait. The game looks absolutely stunning and plays great.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Same exact thing. Not sure what was up but I did get a patch in the last couple days and not sure I turned it down but that seems to be gone. I was getting odd framerate issues there with that crowd setting as well.
Hey Karak, just watched your review, great as always.

You mentioned better performance on older nvidia drivers. Can you be more specific about which version exactly? I actually had to roll back to 417.35 because Apex Legends kept crashing on newer drivers.

fake edit: nvm just saw the post about new drivers optimizing Dirt Rally 2

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, even with the winky face.
Because Live was a mess and then it died, but Codemasters removed Live, put Dirt 3 on Steam and gave the Complete Edition away for free for a while.

Either way, it should start better. That way it's always better, not just at the end.
Perhaps Codemasters will remove this nonsense when they eventually pull the servers. But that shouldn't be counted on in any case ever.

Don't know if this was always the case, but at this point in time the career works offline. When it tries to upload your time, this pops up.
8EB8BC7E2A84CC20DEBBE60CD36E8D21ED1ACC07

Why Dirt Rally 2.0 doesn't work this way, I have no idea.

Was definitely being sarcastic. I always felt Dirt 2 was better than Dirt 3 and that's got Live still embedded in it. It's not the only Codemasters title that was never updated either.

This is worse, because as shitty as Live is, I'm pretty sure you can still play in offline mode (been I while since I had it installed). With this, if they go under in 2 years (not impossible given the current AAAA or bust market conditions), it's going to be unplayable if you have to log in to actually play single-player.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Installing Dirt Rally 1 to talk myself out of picking this up. LOL Actually quite interested in this, especially since it sounds like it's better this time around out of the box w/ a controller. I have a wheel/stand, but I can't be arsed to set it up most of the time.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Finally... the update is downloaded and it was worth the wait. The game looks absolutely stunning and plays great.

Interesting, there was no update for PS4 - so this is why people were complaining of it looking like a blurry mess on X? Crazy that it would go live without an essential 11GB file. Between this and the racenet issues, something tells me things weren't quite ready for this deluxe edition early release :|

Oh well - ironing out the kinks for you standard edition users!

Last edited: