• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
For the US, it should be up when PSN updates later today around noonish.

I CAN'T WAIT!! This was the one I've been waiting for/wanting the most from DR. I feel my life is complete now, and there's no reason to go back to DR (even though I've only done it a handful of times since 2).
I love this game so much. I'm not competitive, I play online, I never got far in the career. But it's the BEST custom rally experience with a select few of my favorite cars.

I was contemplating WRC8 since I used to be a big fan, but I don't really see any reason, this has everything I'd want from that plus better graphics and handling. There is something to be said for some more aracadish whipping around, but as I got better at DR, it was just so much more satisfying.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This and WRC series as so different that I think they can co-exist, they sort of occupy different gameplay niches (for... people who are really into rally games lol). It seems to look fantastic visually too, but I don't know what the framerate is

wrc-8-in-game-screenshot.jpg

Btw Jamesways are you in the Era league? You should get up on it, be good to have you on board

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i think wrc 8 looks better than dirt 2.0, but its pretty inconsistent - some looks amazing, some of it looks rather ho hum. i'm most excited for all the locations and the wrc license. just hope the handling is up to snuff

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Did you guys play WRC 6 or 7?
The handling got progressively better since 5 and it is a blast to whip the cars around more aggressively. But the visuals were inconsistent, sometimes quite dark and muddy.

Like said, I used to prefer the series to DR but DR is so damn crisp and clear, especially from the in car view. And nothing beats the feel.

But honestly who am I kidding, I get WRC every year and probably will this year too.
The extra stages are great, I really like Mexico, Argentina, and Spain. It'll be interesting to compare them to DR2 now.

And no, I'm not part of the ERA league. Too shitty online. Ha!

Edit- holy shit does Wales look so good with this lighting engine. Wow!

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I played 7 - it was pretty good, and the handling is more friendly for kind of a more relaxed experienced compared to DRs constant... dread? lol. 30fps kind of does hamper it a bit though compared to DR

You should join though - you literally can't be worse than me!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Wow - that's a huge visual update for Wales. Am I crazy or is there waaaaay more sun tho?

Oct 29, 2017
So I jumped back into this game after a long hiatus after launch and Im digging it but I have a few issues.

-Does it seem like the pace notes are just off on certain courses? Just played one last night on the AI weekly challenge and I forgot what course it was but there was a large jump and a 3 right after it but the pace notes didnt mention this until I was literally launching off the jump. I crashed of course and never got back on track. There was another section on the same course where it called out a standard left 3 but it was tight with a tree right off the course on the outside....no mention of any of this, resulting in yet another crash.

-The lighting system seems to glitch out a bit occasionally. I was racing in New Zealand at sundown and there was a weird effect i noticed a couple times where the lighting would drastically change. It almost seemed like a LOD issue as the lighting would pop into a higher definition version. Is this common? Im playing on PS4 Pro.

I bought the Deluxe edition as well last night and did a race in Sweden....good lord, this is so much better than DR1. Sweden in DR1 was almost unplayable for me which was always a bummer since its one of my favorite countries in most rally games.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
So I jumped back into this game after a long hiatus after launch and Im digging it but I have a few issues.

-Does it seem like the pace notes are just off on certain courses? Just played one last night on the AI weekly challenge and I forgot what course it was but there was a large jump and a 3 right after it but the pace notes didnt mention this until I was literally launching off the jump. I crashed of course and never got back on track. There was another section on the same course where it called out a standard left 3 but it was tight with a tree right off the course on the outside....no mention of any of this, resulting in yet another crash.

-The lighting system seems to glitch out a bit occasionally. I was racing in New Zealand at sundown and there was a weird effect i noticed a couple times where the lighting would drastically change. It almost seemed like a LOD issue as the lighting would pop into a higher definition version. Is this common? Im playing on PS4 Pro.

I bought the Deluxe edition as well last night and did a race in Sweden....good lord, this is so much better than DR1. Sweden in DR1 was almost unplayable for me which was always a bummer since its one of my favorite countries in most rally games.

ive definitely noticed some oddities with some of the call outs, but i imagine thats a difficult thing to do because everyones opinion on particular call outs would differ. ive also just gotten used to taking caution with any turn following a crest, especially in poland. i know germany has a LOT of issues including corners where there is NO call out, but these were apparently addressed in a recent patch. you can (and should) adjust the call outs though - i think i was pretty pleased with just one notch earlier.

and i too have seen the lighting/shadow lod issue on x1x. i dunno if i'm just looking further down the road now, but it seems to have become more common

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
is it just me or are the rally cross events almost never featured in the daily/weekly/monthlies now? i wonder if codies data showed significantly less player investment in those?

Oct 29, 2017
is it just me or are the rally cross events almost never featured in the daily/weekly/monthlies now? i wonder if codies data showed significantly less player investment in those?

I kinda forgot that Rallycross was in this game until yesterday.

Which I have a question about. I finally played the first Rallycross event in the Career mode. I won every heat I was in but didnt qualify for the final and ended up in like 15th place.....wtf? How does this work?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda forgot that Rallycross was in this game until yesterday.

Which I have a question about. I finally played the first Rallycross event in the Career mode. I won every heat I was in but didnt qualify for the final and ended up in like 15th place.....wtf? How does this work?
think about it like a bracket tournament. each heat qualifies the top drivers for the next round. finishing near/at the top gives you better starting position in the next round. if you didnt qualify for the final than you were in the bottom of the group in the semi finals. i'm not sure how big each group for each heat is, but 15th doesn't sound to far off. ?

btw, championship is over. is there interest in another round?

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
think about it like a bracket tournament. each heat qualifies the top drivers for the next round. finishing near/at the top gives you better starting position in the next round. if you didnt qualify for the final than you were in the bottom of the group in the semi finals. i'm not sure how big each group for each heat is, but 15th doesn't sound to far off. ?

btw, championship is over. is there interest in another round?

will be in. how about a special wales event?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
cool. unless i hear otherwise (people that want to participate missing DLC) i was thinking, in no particular order; wales, germany, montecarlo/sweden (determined by coin flip)

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe no mandatory RWD? I absolutely fucking suck at RWD, I just cannot seem to wrap my head around it lol

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Just got this on the Xbox may have to join the leagues.....ill be the guy in last place lol.

Its a Shame the F1 2019 hasn't got a league going on here....doesn't seem to get much love

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Gotta love it when you hit the Peds standing on the side of the road. Did that twice in Germany so far smh.

Lmao already a minute behind Pellaidh
Good racing man 🙏

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we could earn credits with these league races ;_;

i get that they don't want people to farm but given the actual career is so impenetrably difficult, there's really nothing I've done with the credits aside from upgrading my team to drop the cost of resets and repairs

Really thought they'd get the career right in this one after DR1's being so lackluster. The DiRT games have always had super strong careers.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
some pretty close stages in this event!

i had a big scare in the final stage. about half way through i thought i got a puncture. the car wasn't quite handling the same i heard the telltale sign of it... but it never blew. i cautiously raced the final half, avoiding sliding wherever i could and praying i wouldnt have to limp through the remainder or take a 30 sec penalty to change it. still not sure if thats what it was - i wish these races would have driver notes at the end like the career mode where you can see what was damaged and effecting teams.

i get that they don't want people to farm but given the actual career is so impenetrably difficult, there's really nothing I've done with the credits aside from upgrading my team to drop the cost of resets and repairs

Really thought they'd get the career right in this one after DR1's being so lackluster. The DiRT games have always had super strong careers.

you can earn a TON of credits doing the dailies/weeklies/monthlies. anytime i log in i try to run 3 dailies which should net you about 100,000

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
ok my times are up. is it me or the penalties for reset pretty stiff in this rally? went off road in the ?third stage and cost me 25 seconds 😖 Oh well - man, Germany is a fun rally - just all tarmac, right angles and rocks... hair raising stuff lol

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
ok my times are up. is it me or the penalties for reset pretty stiff in this rally? went off road in the ?third stage and cost me 25 seconds 😖 Oh well - man, Germany is a fun rally - just all tarmac, right angles and rocks... hair raising stuff lol

did you hit spectators/marshals? the penalty is significantly harsher if you do

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That last event was a bit of a downer for me so I'm gonna actually do some practice runs I think for the first time before I actually compete in one of these. Lol I'm in training

tenor.gif

By the way
The Sweden Event is live
Drive safe

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
copy paste table of results

NICE

EDIT: removed table, doesnt seem to display correctly (though it does in preview weirdly). urban over vsmic by half a sec in stage 1!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
damn, now 3 drivers separated by 0.6 sec - pellaidh taking the lead by a tenth of a second stage one. crazy close,competitive stage!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
ok, sweden got me sweating! this is by far the closest event we've done. barely squeaked out winning stage 3 by 0.066 seconds! great racing pellaidh!

EDIT: and 0.045 sec on stage 4!

Last edited: