• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Debating on getting this game for $31.99 , deluxe edition. Still have no idea how much I'll enjoy it as a casual
Fuck it man, just dive in. I think it could be fun on a casual level. Trick might be to find the car you enjoy driving most and you can just set up custom events and not bother with the campaign (like I did). Also it's fun playing dailies.

On that note you should get the deluxe cause simply put, half the game is locked away with it at this point. And there's some good content there too, I ended up maining the Citroen in the class 2000scc and it's a DLC car.

It's kinda shitty but yeah if you got the base game, there's so much content locked away. So I say dive in with the deluxe cause it's a great game.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Cool stuff, appreciate the feedback fellas. How do the dailies work? Is it like some new event per day to complete in a certain time?

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Cool stuff, appreciate the feedback fellas. How do the dailies work? Is it like some new event per day to complete in a certain time?
Yeah and there's no do overs so you got one chance at it. Has leaderboards. There's several a day. Also there's weeklies that have multiple stages and monthly's that have multiple events.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and there's no do overs so you got one chance at it. Has leaderboards. There's several a day. Also there's weeklies that have multiple stages and monthly's that have multiple events.

That's pretty awesome actually. Hmm I think I'm going to bite. $31 isn't expensive and it seems like a good time.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
we also do (did?) our own community events.

still interest here? - its been silent on that front since our last

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Wales looks so good in DR2.0, it's a massive upgrade from the first DR. Just took a few shots

e9r2GG6.png

jhuNPZm.png

Xqto027.png

M3JhrgQ.png

Mar 27, 2019
How's the track deformation in this game? I really loved the implementation in Sega Rally Revo and everything else has paled in comparison. Forza Horizon 4 has a very basic implementation but it doesn't seem to really affect gameplay at all.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It´s up on PSN at least, €25 for the S3/S4 pass and €50 for the S1/S2/S3/S4 bundled together.

huh, can't seem to find it on NA PSN. I'm only interested in S3, but I assume you can't buy them separately

How's the track deformation in this game? I really loved the implementation in Sega Rally Revo and everything else has paled in comparison. Forza Horizon 4 has a very basic implementation but it doesn't seem to really affect gameplay at all.

I have to say I haven't really noticed it from a gameplay perspective - it's certainly nothing as dramatic as Revo. It's definitely visually there, but mileage may vary on whether it has any implications for cornering etc.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

i dont believe its real time, the stages seem to just load at predetermined levels of degradation. whats there is good though. easy to see and has a pretty significant impact on driving.

EDIT: i should add there likely IS some sort of visuals for tire marks. i wouldnt know playing first person and not racing directly against other cars. my response above was focused on the much toted degradation system

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

Taken from the latest roadbook

Authentic
  • Provides track degradation similar to real life. The change in degradation between any two places in the running order is quite slight, but accumulates with each place.
  • In a Custom Event of 20 entrants, you therefore only get to see the early stages of degradation.
  • By contrast in a Career Event, where there may be 150 entrants across multiple Classes, those running late in the order would see much more degradation.

Full
  • Provides the full range of track degradation regardless of how many entrants there are. It allocates the full range of effects, proportionally, to the number of entrants in the running order.
  • This means that in a Custom Event of 20 entrants, the entrant running first experiences the untouched track, and the entrant running last experiences the most complete track degradation. For the latter, it's as if 150 entrants had raced the Stage ahead of them instead of 19.
  • This is unrealistic given the number of entrants; but it means that running order has a more pronounced effect on the race result than with the Authentic setting.

Optimum
  • Ensures all entrants experience the same track degradation, similar to running 6th in the Authentic setting.
  • This is considered the best for racing performance, for most players. This is the "sweet spot" after the road has been swept of loose material and before ruts and bumps have started to form on the racing line.
  • This setting is great if you want a level playing field; everyone gets the same, yet authentic, experience.

Off
  • Disables the degradation effects altogether. All players get the same experience, regardless of where they are in the running order.
  • This also provides a level playing field, like "Optimum", but it's as if no-one has raced along the track.
  • Pace may not be as good as with the Optimum setting, depending on the track.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the deluxe edition and goddamn, this game must have the ugliest icon on the PS4. I usually put my new games in folders in the front, but nope, not this time. This ugly thing stays hidden lol.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
This game is fun. Started off with the slow cars and now I'm enjoying it. Getting used to it. It's hard sometimes with a controller and I like playing this in first person.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
again though, i dont think its real time as the poster implied with sega rally. i'd love to be proven wrong though - i just havent noticed

Can´t say for sure how it works. Just mentioned the Codies page because it has the full details coming from them. If it's really how it works i´m not sure.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This game is fun. Started off with the slow cars and now I'm enjoying it. Getting used to it. It's hard sometimes with a controller and I like playing this in first person.
Nice! I'd also recommend spending some time outside the car while you're getting to grips with it so you can see how the cars behave on different surfaces

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
huh - second season pass was 39.99 CAD and no option to buy just season 3... I think I might be out for this :|

First one was 25 CAD above the MSRP

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
i hope DR2.0 has been successful for them and we get a next gen 3.0 as their next project
Seems like season 3 and 4 are an encouraging sign. I think their games never blow the doors of sales wise but they do a ton of sales constantly so I'm sure they all have legs.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I find the more I play the worse I get. I fear I'll never be good at this without a wheel.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So I seem to start a championship on my PS4 pro and then when I switch to my PS4 slim in my bedroom, it says local and racenet saves aren't matching so it's resetting my championship. No idea what to do?

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Well that was odd. I am in my late 40s and have been playing the Dirt games all my adult life starting with the original Colin Mcrae. Today I received an email from Codemasters asking me to take part in a survey to help them shape their future off-road games ('your opinions matter to us'). I figured I would take part since I have a genuine love for the games and have some views about how they could improve. The first question asked me for my age bracket so I selected the late 40s one. The response was quite shocking: "Sorry, you did not qualify for this survey". Codemasters is based 15 miles from me and I have always supported their driving games at full price even though I know a sale will follow very quickly. If this ageism is genuine then no more.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If this ageism is genuine then no more.

That might just mean they've completed data collection for your demographic bracket. Some surveys cap at certain numbers and mandate specific demographic contributions.

So I seem to start a championship on my PS4 pro and then when I switch to my PS4 slim in my bedroom, it says local and racenet saves aren't matching so it's resetting my championship. No idea what to do?

Don't have experience with that issue but racenet was a mess at launch. I'm not surprised it messed up with cloud saves and multiple consoles. I would look on the CM forums

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
That might just mean they've completed data collection for your demographic bracket. Some surveys cap at certain numbers and mandate specific demographic contributions.

The survey was issued to my inbox at 8.00 this morning and I replied to it almost instantly. I find it hard to believe that there was a rush of over 45s completing the survey this morning. It seems likely to me that Dirt 2.0 hasn't really achieved the sales that Codemaster's wanted and they want to see what their younger demographic would like out of their games. When configuring their survey they could have been more respectful to people who have been supporting their games all these years. I hope they are succesful in their endeavour since this old fogie will no longer be buying their games

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Doesn't make any sense to me. The over 40 guys feel disrespected and it's free data about your customers You could always just toss the data later without anyone knowing. Sure, you stole someone's time then, but they will never know it was wasted.
Very weird.

Would you like to tell us, what changes and direction you would have advocated?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The survey was issued to my inbox at 8.00 this morning and I replied to it almost instantly. I find it hard to believe that there was a rush of over 45s completing the survey this morning. It seems likely to me that Dirt 2.0 hasn't really achieved the sales that Codemaster's wanted and they want to see what their younger demographic would like out of their games. When configuring their survey they could have been more respectful to people who have been supporting their games all these years. I hope they are succesful in their endeavour since this old fogie will no longer be buying their games

I mean surveys can come out in waves. But whatever, if you're upset, fair enough. But let CM know them.

never tried them. should i? honestly not that into sim racers. I love these games and gt sport somehow managed to scratch that itch. maybe i should give it a shot.

They're really well reviewed - eurogamer's take here. I tried one once and couldn't get into it because, as with f1, seemed like there's a lot of stuff to do outside of just racing. But f1 fans are apparently in heaven right now - the reviews read like these are the best f1 games ever.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game (f1 2019) but I am not feeling it as much as I thought I would. Too bad can't refund on PS4.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Doesn't make any sense to me. The over 40 guys feel disrespected and it's free data about your customers You could always just toss the data later without anyone knowing. Sure, you stole someone's time then, but they will never know it was wasted.
Very weird.

Would you like to tell us, what changes and direction you would have advocated?

A decent career structure is one thing that I would add. Maybe not to the level that seems to coming to Grid but something that is a little more involving that what was on offer in Dirt Rally 2.0

I am not sure of the value of the Rallycross licence, indeed the entire format of that series bores me to tears. Would prefer to the see the investment on Rallycross directed towards special stages. The absence of special stages has always felt quite heavy on the Dirt Rally games.

Favour daytime for most of the stages and add more times of day when the stages are held. Night stages should not be as frequent as they currently are.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
back on topic, think i might just grab the individual greece and finland tracks from season 3, as opposed to the whole package. Anybody know what individual tracks have cost in this game as they've released them?

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys like F1 games by codemaster?

I've played them a bit, and on paper I think they do a lot of things right. the way they force you to practice on a track before a race makes sure you actually know how to tackle each track, and the AI feels much better to race against than other sim games I've tried. And the driving model also seems fine.

But I just find them so exhausting to play. Between practice, qualifying, and lengthy races, each event takes at least an hour or two, or even more if you want to play with longer race times (which I feel like I should because shorter races don't feel right to me). And that's a huge time commitment. Granted you don't have to do all of that in a single play session, but if I don't then I'll forget what I've learned in practice by the time I play qualifications and the actual race.