• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I've played them a bit, and on paper I think they do a lot of things right. the way they force you to practice on a track before a race makes sure you actually know how to tackle each track, and the AI feels much better to race against than other sim games I've tried. And the driving model also seems fine.

But I just find them so exhausting to play. Between practice, qualifying, and lengthy races, each event takes at least an hour or two, or even more if you want to play with longer race times (which I feel like I should because shorter races don't feel right to me). And that's a huge time commitment. Granted you don't have to do all of that in a single play session, but if I don't then I'll forget what I've learned in practice by the time I play qualifications and the actual race.

I think that's how I feel. Like short race doesn't feel right and I went with Alfa Romeo so it's kind of hard to be top dog so quickly, so it almost doesn't feel satisfying either

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A decent career structure is one thing that I would add. Maybe not to the level that seems to coming to Grid but something that is a little more involving that what was on offer in Dirt Rally 2.0

I am not sure of the value of the Rallycross licence, indeed the entire format of that series bores me to tears. Would prefer to the see the investment on Rallycross directed towards special stages. The absence of special stages has always felt quite heavy on the Dirt Rally games.

Favour daytime for most of the stages and add more times of day when the stages are held. Night stages should not be as frequent as they currently are.
I don't know anyone who plays the Rallycross stuff in the DR games, people try them once, then go back to normal rally.
Could it be that the amount of night stages increases with difficulty in the campaign? At least pretty sure that's how it was in DR1.

About the career, I'm on and off about wanting a career in sim games... IF, then one like in the Madden games. Codemasters seem to be getting close to that with the F1 games. Not sure I'd want that in a DR game though. Maybe in Forza or Project CARS or GT... no wait, wow, can you imagine the amount of cringe Polyphony would come up in a story mode? :D Now I kinda wanna see that.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So the career I've completed once, got clubman, so it's the same tracks now? Confused

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
So the career I've completed once, got clubman, so it's the same tracks now? Confused

You move up to a higher difficulty - I believe to professional - and there will be a random assortment of locations. I have never been able to be successful in pro in DR2, despite being ok at it in DR1 so let us know how you fare

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
You move up to a higher difficulty - I believe to professional - and there will be a random assortment of locations. I have never been able to be successful in pro in DR2, despite being ok at it in DR1 so let us know how you fare

Gotcha. Yeah I was about to start clubman and saw it was the same locations so I wasn't entirely sure what was happening.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm okay playing the dailies and weeklies from here on out rather than anything else.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think I'm okay playing the dailies and weeklies from here on out rather than anything else.
That's basically all I play these days. That and some customs events for stages I like. Playing the dailies and whatnot is a good steady source to earn credits in the game as well.

Also op_ivy lets get another championship going sometime soon. A September Event if you will. 🙏

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
That's basically all I play these days. That and some customs events for stages I like. Playing the dailies and whatnot is a good steady source to earn credits in the game as well.

Also op_ivy lets get another championship going sometime soon. A September Event if you will. 🙏

Schools back in, been busy. I'll try to throw something up soon and we can see if the interest is still there. Or, someone else is free to set up something

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
wrc 8 is out in a few days, anyone picking it up? i'm VERY interested, primarily for the wrc licence, wrc locations (and they look GREAT), and the career and team management aspects. a few reviews out already, but none really providing much beyond press sheet info and surface level impressions.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
How is the handling in wrc

Much more forgiving - they are the accessible rally games whereas the DR games are the sims. Driveclub to Gran Turismo would probably be an accurate comparison.
wrc 8 is out in a few days, anyone picking it up? i'm VERY interested, primarily for the wrc licence, wrc locations (and they look GREAT), and the career and team management aspects. a few reviews out already, but none really providing much beyond press sheet info and surface level impressions.

I'm definitely interested, but WRC games go on sale so rapidly and so aggressively that picking it up at launch would rapidly look like you've spent too much on it. I am optimistic about it quality-wise... weirdly those games barely even seem to get reviewed, so might be hard to know outside of forums. I'd be happy to be wrong this time.

The original WRC games for PS2 were still the best IMO - Evolution studios in their infancy.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Alan from Team VVV seems to be really into WRC 8, lots of coverage on their website and channel. Last time I saw him covering one title that much was when Project CARS 1 was fresh and mixing things up on the consoles.

Billy Strange from former Inside Sim Racing liked WRC 7 more than DR1 and found both games to not be super "sim", but WRC 7 closer than DR1 (and that guy drove dirt oval Sprint Cars in real life for a few years and gave input on the handling for iRacing's dirt content).

Personally, I agree that WRC7 is quite a bit easier than the DR games, but I don't think either are particularly realistic.
But on the idea of "it's easier, so it's less realisitc": I remember a WRC dev (I think it was Kylotonn already) said that they got many replies from testers that the breaking distances seemed way too short and it was too easy even for a more arcady rally game. Those distances matched the telemetry data they had from WRC teams though, but they still changed the braking distances and made them longer, because they just can't explain to every casual customer out there, who might have a weird feeling about the braking like the testers had, that "no, these are realistic".

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah I was def interested in checking out WRC8 but tbh I got too many games to play at the moment and probably won't pick it up anytime soon.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I find the handling in DR and WRC pretty similar once the controllers are dialled in a similar way. What makes DR harder is not the handling, it's the damage system.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I agree that WRC7 is quite a bit easier than the DR games, but I don't think either are particularly realistic.
But on the idea of "it's easier, so it's less realisitc": I remember a WRC dev (I think it was Kylotonn already) said that they got many replies from testers that the breaking distances seemed way too short and it was too easy even for a more arcady rally game. Those distances matched the telemetry data they had from WRC teams though, but they still changed the braking distances and made them longer, because they just can't explain to every casual customer out there, who might have a weird feeling about the braking like the testers had, that "no, these are realistic".

Huh - that's really interesting. The WRC7 handling model definitely just seemed less... nuanced? Maybe it is more accurate though. Definitely found that to be an overall lower quality game than DR, but still fun. Their track design is great.

I find the handling in DR and WRC pretty similar once the controllers are dialled in a similar way. What makes DR harder is not the handling, it's the damage system.

I still feel like most players playing them back to back would immediately identify DR as a more demanding game handling wise, but I haven't spent a ton of time messing with the adjustments to the steering sensitivity

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

Doesn't surprise me at all. So many gamers waving their "I play real sims" cocks at each other in the racing genre. God it's tiresome. "I never use assists, they are for noobs".

Meanwhile real world GT racing drivers enjoying real tracks with their real ABS and real traction control.

It was like this 20 years ago, nothing has changed much.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I still feel like most players playing them back to back would immediately identify DR as a more demanding game handling wise, but I haven't spent a ton of time messing with the adjustments to the steering sensitivity

I would have agreed until recently. But I spent some time adjusting the various sliders in DR to the point where the game became 100x easier for me. And it made me realise a lot of the initial difficulty for me was playing the controller rather than the game. With the way I have DR now set it feels quite similar to WRC. Not the same. But close.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just saw in the notes of the last DR2 update:
- The issues of audio cutting out mid-Stage are expected to be resolved in a future update.
...maybe I misread before, but didn't they fix it already... twice?!

Now it's not even "we fixed it" any more, now it's down to "it's gonna be fixed... someday".

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
at least they arent claiming its fixed again!

fyi, at least on xbox, a quick fix is to hit the guide button to go to the dash then immediately re-enter the game. it interupts the flow of a stage but at least doesn't mean you either retire or drive the remainder of the stage without callouts.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
at least they arent claiming its fixed again!

fyi, at least on xbox, a quick fix is to hit the guide button to go to the dash then immediately re-enter the game. it interupts the flow of a stage but at least doesn't mean you either retire or drive the remainder of the stage without callouts.
I don't think, I've tried ALT+TABbing before when it happened, maybe that's the PC equivalent to going to the dashboard, thanks.

Oct 29, 2017
So Greese is out and Im watching some videos on Youtube......are these just the same tracks from DR1? If so....wow, thats a pass from me. I really liked Greese in DR1 but I've already bought those tracks before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well if I'm not mistaken, all the locations from the previous game have been the same tracks, just remastered.

Also wow Codemasters not gonna cut a trailer or nothing for this release? Okay

Oct 29, 2017
Well if I'm not mistaken, all the locations from the previous game have been the same tracks, just remastered.

Also wow Codemasters not gonna cut a trailer or nothing for this release? Okay

Really? I bought Sweden and it seems better than DR1 but that could just be because the controls are better and I hardly played Sweden in DR1 because it was flipping impossible.

That really sucks if true...I wont be buying any more season passes then.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I never played prior release games so I am thinking aobut buying but it kind of feels dirty.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
As I said before I don't have a problem with them releasing prior tracks/locations for the game. This game is shaping up to be the definitive dirt rally game ever. Putting everything in is completely fine to me. It's just a bummer more of this wasn't in the 60 dollar package and folks are missing out if they buy the standard edition. I still haven't bought season 3 yet but once I get back into the game I probably will.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I never played prior release games so I am thinking aobut buying but it kind of feels dirty.

They're definitely worth it if you haven't played them before, and arguably even if you have as they've made substantial visual improvements. They're definitely the same tracks tho, CM never presented them as otherwise.

Now that it comes down to it, dunno how I feel about dropping 5 bucks on a single track, and I think I'm out for the 40 dollar season pass :|

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
The situation with the DLC means i won't be buying any Dirt Rally (or Codemasters in general) game ever again full price. The "year one" pass costs €50... that's almost as much as a normal game. Yet it contains the same tracks as in Dirt Rally with some graphical improvements and some rally cross tracks nobody cares about. Some of the laziest DLC for the steepest prices. At this point, the game actually costs around €120 if you want all the content. It's clearly another test to see how far they can go with this. If i had known, i would have waited on a deep discount on both the base game and the individual tracks from Dirt Rally (and generally, i always buy my games day one to support the developers).

Dirt Rally felt like a breath of fresh air and a passion project. This feels completely the opposite.

Oct 29, 2017
Dirt Rally felt like a breath of fresh air and a passion project. This feels completely the opposite.

Eh, I mean I realize that Rally games arent exactly huge sellers but yeah...recycling tracks from DR1 feels like fleecing the fan base a bit. If it goes super cheap I might bite in the future but its a bit disappointing that their big season plans are just the old tracks again. Its especially disappointing when a game like Hitman 2 gives you all the Hitman 1 levels with new challenges/graphical upgrades/etc. for FREE.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The situation with the DLC means i won't be buying any Dirt Rally (or Codemasters in general) game ever again full price. The "year one" pass costs €50... that's almost as much as a normal game. Yet it contains the same tracks as in Dirt Rally with some graphical improvements and some rally cross tracks nobody cares about. Some of the laziest DLC for the steepest prices. At this point, the game actually costs around €120 if you want all the content. It's clearly another test to see how far they can go with this. If i had known, i would have waited on a deep discount on both the base game and the individual tracks from Dirt Rally (and generally, i always buy my games day one to support the developers).

The SP (season 1 and 2) at launch was only 20 additional CDN over the list price, and I wasn't overly dissatisfied with the track offering at launch in DR2.0 (which was the same # DR shipped with), though that was a common complaint. I also knew what I was buying with the SP, so... not sure how I could feel fleeced.

DiRT and DR games go on sale fast and frequently though so you shouldn't have a problem with this policy. I just don't know if it's as anti consumer as you're making it out to be.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind paying for season passes if it was pure rally, but the inclusion of rallycross stuff, which I have zero interest in, just puts me off paying for it at all.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
the way i look at it is if it takes this pricing model to justify the existence of dirt rally as a series going forward, i'm all for it.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I am mixed on the DLC costs, on the one hand, I'm more than happy to support them so we can get a future DR. On the other, it is expensive, but I wanted the DR tracks remastered in this lighting so bad of course I would pay. All I wanted out of this game is some new tracks, all the old DR rally locations, and the inclusion of some of my favorite cars from the first as well. Essentially, give me no reason to fire up DR anymore. And I've got it. Love this game.

But I understand how fans could feel slighted, I get the argument that the old content should have been offered for free or discounted. I'm just glad we got it.

I should really try the career in this, I never do in these, just stick to custom and classic rallies. And I need to give the rallycross a shake too, I think I've only played one race of it since release.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably wait for a discount. I have no reason to rush it. I am just building up cash and trying to buy the cars and get my research for each car.