• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Out on October 15th on Steam and GOG.com! https://store.steampowered.com/app/63... https://www.gog.com/game/disco_elysium https://www.discoelysium.com "Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world role playing game. You're a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being."

The game had an incredible demo at PAX a couple years ago. It's a game you really should be keeping an eye on if you aren't already.

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
hell yeah. The end of the year is packed, but I'm going to try to make room for this for sure

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It's got a chance to be the best rpg ever. Can't wait, but probably won't play it day one since most rpgs are a mess at launch.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That's soon! I figured this wasn't coming until next year at the earliest.

Definitely going to find the time to play this as I've been waiting for a while.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I will 100% rename it to No Truce with the Furies in my library

But this looks really great, though how can it be 60 hours long with a crazy amount of reactivity? That doesn't really gel.

Oct 27, 2017
Not that it's an easy task to make a trailer for a CRPG where you only interact through dialogues, but this trailer with the sleepy voice definitely wasn't the answer to that.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Not that it's an easy task to make a trailer for a CRPG where you only interact through dialogues, but this trailer with the sleepy voice definitely wasn't the answer to that.

Yeah, the voiceover was awful. The concept really intrigues me though! I've always leaned towards dialogue-focused approaches in RPGs, so an RPG that relies heavily on that sounds a treat. I'll keep an eye out for heavy previews/reviews.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh wow I wasn't expecting it that soon. I was thinking next year or something. I think there's room in my schedule for it (and if there isn't, I'll make room).

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even intend this, but I'm taking a mental-health staycation that week.

I guess I know what I'll be doing.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was a chance I could but looking at that 60+ hour playtime I'm not too sure. This year is unstoppable.

yeah, it's going to be hard to find the time, but this looks so goddamn cool that I will at least try to find a solution. Maybe leave it to December, since that's one month I don't think there is anything appealing to me (so far at least)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Perhaps one of my most anticipated games. Loved their GDC talk from last year. I think they're the only devs I know of from Estonia.

Anyway, this game definitely has the most unique art style of and dialogue driver of any game thus far insofar as isometric games are concerned:

disco-elysium-d.jpg

disco-elysium-c.jpg

It's like oil painting come to life (which makes sense given the folks who are responsible for the aesthetic are classically trained oil painters).

Last edited:

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
This is really looking good. Ugh, I have so much I want to play right now. I still haven't put down Fire Emblem and I haven't even touched Astral Chain yet. Then there is DQ11S about to come out as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Not a great trailer, but very excited for this. Some of my favourites of all time are CRPGs, but I haven't found any interesting enough to really fully capture my attention (and free time budget...) in like, an age. Everything about this looks fascinating, at least from afar.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Easily one of my most anticipated games in years. I have no idea how I'm going to find the time to play it, but I'm still in Day 1.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you create a character or the male detective is a premade one?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Perhaps one of my most anticipated games. Loved their GDC talk from last year. I think they're the only devs I know of from Estonia.

Anyway, this game definitely has the most unique art style of and dialogue driver of any game thus far insofar as isometric games are concerned:

It's like oil painting come to life (which makes sense given the folks who are responsible for the aesthetic are classically trained oil painters).

can you link me their GDC talk? :)

yeah, this game is beaty.

no word on pricing? this is something i want day one.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Speechcraft is generally how I play most RPGs, but man, isometric...eh.
I mean, what are your options these days if you're skipping isometric RPGs?

Bioware and Bethesda are awol and have completely abandoned the speechcraft mechanics. Even The Witcher 3 didn't actually have speechcraft mechanics. There's Elex and GreedFall but they're not for everyone, and The Outer Worlds incoming, and that's probably it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what are your options these days if you're skipping isometric RPGs?

Bioware and Bethesda are awol and have completely abandoned the speechcraft mechanics. Even The Witcher 3 didn't actually have speechcraft mechanics. There's Elex and GreedFall but they're not for everyone, and The Outer Worlds incoming, and that's probably it.

Right now? Basically nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
But we've been living through the second golden age of CRPGs?
The peak of, say, Black Isle's output produced amongst the best games I've ever played, but there's a huge and sudden drop off in my attention curve as you move ever so slightly down the quality scale from there... I'm much, much more into great writing, unique settings, and highly reactive branching narratives than I am into, say, combat mechanics. Most of the CRPGs I've seen recommended over the past few years have struck me as terribly ordinary in their world and general aesthetics, or seemingly more geared towards delivering interesting moment to moment gameplay than presenting a memorable narrative. There's been a few exceptions amongst those recommendations, but none that have been well reviewed enough to help me overcome my fear of dropping 10 hours into something only to realise I don't really like it all that much.

TLDR; I'm too picky and I haven't really tried many RPGs lately because of it, haha. All too happy to hear your, say, top 3 of recent note, though!

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Finally! Was worried EGS was gonna money hat this. I'll buy this day one even though I don't really have the time for it right now.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
All too happy to hear your, say, top 3 of recent note, though!

This isn't directed at me and none of these games are really similar to anything Black Isle did, but my top 3 CRPGs from recent years would be

Underrail
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Age of Decadence

Of the three I'd say AoD would the closest one to the spirit of Black Isle and Troika though there's nothing quite like it.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh my gosh yessssss. Cannot wait. Unbelievable. This is gonna be very cool.

EDIT: I must be the only one who thought the voiceover was great. Such a weird atmosphere. I love it.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't directed at me and none of these games are really similar to anything Black Isle did, but my top 3 CRPGs from recent years would be

Underrail
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Age of Decadence

Of the three I'd say AoD would the closest one to the spirit of Black Isle and Troika though there's nothing quite like it.
Age of Decadence was top of my list of CRPGs I almost bought and started playing before I chickened out at the last minute, so it's good to have some extra vetting around it! I'll see about picking it up on Steam. Underrail has come up a few times, too.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
The peak of, say, Black Isle's output produced amongst the best games I've ever played, but there's a huge and sudden drop off in my attention curve as you move ever so slightly down the quality scale from there... I'm much, much more into great writing, unique settings, and highly reactive branching narratives than I am into, say, combat mechanics. Most of the CRPGs I've seen recommended over the past few years have struck me as terribly ordinary in their world and general aesthetics, or seemingly more geared towards delivering interesting moment to moment gameplay than presenting a memorable narrative. There's been a few exceptions amongst those recommendations, but none that have been well reviewed enough to help me overcome my fear of dropping 10 hours into something only to realise I don't really like it all that much.

TLDR; I'm too picky and I haven't really tried many RPGs lately because of it, haha. All too happy to hear your, say, top 3 of recent note, though!
Based on what you've said:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong

I'd argue both have narratives (and sentence-to-sentence writing) that is better than anything else out there save Planescape: Torment. And I think they rival PS:T. The Pillars of Eternity games are more conventional, but they're at least as good as the Baldur's Gate games in the aspects you prize. The Banner Saga also has a more thoughtful setting and better choice-and-consequence than just about anything else ever made. Also, The Witcher 3 may legitimately be the best AAA third-person RPG ever made.

There are a host of other games that carry the mantle, though, with different levels of jank and polish: Underrail, Tyranny, Pathfinder: Kingmaker (the true Baldur's Gate III), ATOM RPG, Age of Decadence, Wasteland II... And I'm not even mentioning the ones that depend on their combat mechanics: Original Sin and its sequel, Druidstone, etc.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Age of Decadence was top of my list of CRPGs I almost bought and started playing before I chickened out at the last minute, so it's good to have some extra vetting around it! I'll see about picking it up on Steam. Underrail has come up a few times, too.

Underrail is imo the best combat / exploration driven CRPG there is, beyond compare. That said, if you're not interested in those two facets of gameplay being the focal point with very little in the way of Fallout-style decision-making, resolution through speech or whathaveyou it's probably not going to hit the right notes. There's some of that stuff for sure, but it's spiritually closer to an open world dungeon crawl I think overall.

I find a lot of people seem to compare it to Fallout which really sets people up for disappointment due to the huge difference in focus, but if you like building characters, tactical combat, an XP system that rewards exploration rather than simply murdering everything and a fairly interesting post-post-apocalyptic setting with some lovecraftian elements it's a hell of a ride.

I dunno how it slipped my mind but I'd also throw in ATOM RPG if you're okay with it being basically a carbon copy of Fallout 2 only Russian, for better or worse. Pretty much all the games Shake Appeal mentioned are great recommendations.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Good question. I'd eyeball it at $20-25 for an indie, but it is a bit hard to tell with this specific game.
I think it could potentially be as high as $40. It seems like a deep, fleshed-out RPG with more content than I was expecting. (They're saying 60 hours, and I thought it would be more like 12-15 with replayability.)

Status
Not open for further replies.