• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
FAhRO4u.gif

Fucking Chapo Trap House is in the game, the devs are prolly more to the left than most of ERA.

I had to google who chapo trap hourse are. Thank you for endowing me with this info that most definitely lends credence to their claim.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Speaking of voice acting, I hope the dude from the Thought Cabinet trailer is in the game lol, fucking love this guy's voice.

e: also hope that the VA is of similar recording quality, I love it when dialogue sounds like it's been recorded with a really high quality mic from like millimeters away
mikee from sikth (mad as you like prog/math-metal band from the UK) is (or at least was) the voice director for the game so i assume he's in it a bit, in fact that might be him actually. here's some of his stuff -

also i cannot believe that disco elysium, god's second child, is only £35. i've spent more on kicks to the dick.

mikkraisk

Jun 20, 2018
Pretty sure the boys are just VA-ing some disgruntled workers.

They have big roles in the game and were absolutely killer in the booth. I'm looking forward to the moment when people recognize them in game.

mikee from sikth (mad as you like prog/math-metal band from the UK) is (or at least was) the voice director for the game so i assume he's in it a bit, in fact that might be him actually. here's some of his stuff -
also i cannot believe that disco elysium, god's second child, is only £35. i've spent more on kicks to the dick.

Can confirm, Mikee is the voice of Ancient Reptilian Brain among many others. Mark from Periphery also lent his voice to the game.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They were giving them out at shows back in 2018. My only regret, prior to this misplacement, was not grabbing more when I was offered.

This is why we need a really nice physical collector's edition, sign some shit, print a few copies of the PnP system, make the OST vinyl and throw an art book in there and I'll bite.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely love the idea that I don't know what my character will become. Most every other RPG is a matter of planning from moment one that you're going to be all strength, or persuasion, or if you'll favor lock picking or tech...and then you just keep improving whatever skills you pick until the point that you succeed at every successive skill check. Here, even if I was clear on what I wanted to pick, there's twists and turns and downsides to everything so I can't just assume that at hour 30 I'm success checking my way through everything like I would in a Bioware or Bethesda game. Oh shit, I'm perfect at talking and lockpicking and now I won't shut up and I habitually steal from every person I see(made up example).

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They have big roles in the game and were absolutely killer in the booth. I'm looking forward to the moment when people recognize them in game.

Can confirm, Mikee is the voice of Ancient Reptilian Brain among many others. Mark from Periphery also lent his voice to the game.

Are you all planning to release the cast list before the game? Would be interesting seeing who all does some voicework in it, did you mostly hir elocal people/bands?

I know it'd be a pipe dream but the world just feels perfect to have someone like Tom Waits voice a character, some down on his luck drunkard that turns out to be more then meets the eye at first.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, is the main character fixed or is there some sort of character creation? I've seen the same dude in the marketing material and was just wondering about that.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Quick question, is the main character fixed or is there some sort of character creation? I've seen the same dude in the marketing material and was just wondering about that.
you can't choose how the guy looks or his name but you can make him wear clothes and put actual metaphysical concepts inside of his brain to shape his entire personality.
short answer - fixed character.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Jump Dash Roll had a biiiiig old chat with the team about the game's development - check it out!

www.jumpdashroll.com/article/disco-elysium-is-this-generations-planescape-torment
Devs give a lengthy answer regarding themes and politics in their game
Does Kurvitz think that the studio's Estonian roots had a part to play in making the protagonist someone who isn't fully in control? "For me, definitely," he nods. "The global culture is an empire culture. This is a culture made by winners on boats who sailed to new worlds and then committed genocide. I come from a lineage of serfs — which is a nicer word for slaves — who were freed ten years before the American slaves. My experience of western capitalism comes after the fall of the Soviet Union, which was a really, really bad time for people in eastern Europe in the 90s, whichever way you slice it. So, I never felt like a piece that fit into the western scene, I felt like I was more of a Soviet person for some reason. So naturally, I wasn't going to make a game where I stepped into ceramic armour with a FAL automatic rifle and win. I was going to make one where you're heartbroken and fighting against yourself and the world." This is a feeling which resonates with everyone in the studio, and Tuulik agrees. "The story of the underdog has always been more interesting than the 'Chosen One'."
"I can't write without writing political jokes," Kurvitz comments. "Politics is so alive with tension and language. As a writer, I'm drawn to interesting worlds and people interacting with each other, and there was no other way than to make it political. The game is set in a modern world. If you have telephones in the world, someone has manufactured them, someone has the patent, someone put it together, someone has to pay for it, someone isn't going to get a telephone for forty years, and so on. A world without politics is a hollow world. But my suggestion to video game developers would be to not do it. You get into shit with politics; there's almost no upside. I would have liked not to talk about these things head-on because they take so much playtesting and writing not to fuck it up. If you go into it and you don't know what you're doing, you're not going to come out well."

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
didn't realize the game was going to have voice acting at all, I figured it would all just be silent text boxes.

is the game fully voiced? or is it the old-school style where only important lines are voiced?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually much prefer limited VO in a game like this. I appreciate the effort that goes into full VO in games like Divinity Original Sin but in practice it's kinda awkward. I read the lines much faster than the actors do, and then once I'm done I sort of don't know what to look at while they finish, but at the same time I feel bad just skipping and cutting them off.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely gonna be limited, considering the supposedly massive script.

I don't have any particular preferences as to how much of it is voiced, but if the quality is close to the Thought Cabinet trailer's voice over, the more voiced dialogue the better lol.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
After watching the trailer, this is now on my radar. I love the look of the game, but will wait for some reviews.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Ah... Character choices are so hard. There are loads of builds I want to try. I coming around to giving an Int/Fys build a go first, just accept that they'll have no subtlety whatsoever.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
OlCJmbb.jpg

Too early to tell at this point, but based on the game's stated goals of allowing the player to be an imperfect being capable of a wide range of motives, strengths and weaknesses...I'd wager that it's absolutely not ironic.

And perhaps, just perhaps, the game has the emotional nuance to pull it off in spectacular fashion.
Yeah, it's possible it either allows you to be antifeminist/misogynist (in a pointed, self-incriminating way??) or proactively feminist (in which case, the "inexplicable" part of the name better be ironic?), but boy it could be an unpleasant can of worms if they handle this stuff clumsily. They're pulling several simultaneous high-wire acts with this one. Rooting for them, and I know their backgrounds are thoughtfully leftist, but hmmm.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's possible it either allows you to be antifeminist/misogynist (in a pointed, self-incriminating way??) or proactively feminist (in which case, the "inexplicable" part of the name better be ironic?), but boy it could be an unpleasant can of worms if they handle this stuff clumsily. They're pulling several simultaneous high-wire acts with this one. Rooting for them, and I know their backgrounds are thoughtfully leftist, but hmmm.
Walking a very thin line here
One situation requires you to break into a harbour, but the gates are guarded by a towering figure who has been terrifying the local striking dock workers.

"When you finally go talk to him you understand why they're afraid to go past him – not only is he giant, he's very black, and has very weird theories about race," Kurvitz explains. "He's basically what we call a Semanese supremacist. He wouldn't call himself a racist, he would call himself a race theorist. And if you internalise his philosophy he may let you in."

Adopting such radical lines of thought is, as we know from the real world, an incredibly dangerous path to walk. But this is where one of Disco Elysium's most fascinating mechanics come into play. Akin to the 'mind palace' of Sherlock Holmes, your detective has a 'thought cabinet', which is "a kind of inventory we have for thoughts," Kurvitz explains. "You go around and do other things and then it pops up ready and gives you the answer."

...Referring back to the Semanese guard, Kurvitz explains that one way past him would be to use the results of the thought cabinet to go along with his race theory. "He will grant you passage for that, but you will never get that thought out of your head," he says. "You have accepted his way of thinking." It seems even choices confined to your own mind will have far-reaching consequences in Disco Elysium.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My only worry about this game, is that it might be way too smart for me. Still very much looking forward to it though, love everything I've seen and heard so far.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This about to be some white shit isnt it

I don't get that read at all. The game isn't trying to be all "but actually!" and instead is allowing players to make bad decisions that will ultimately affect not only how their character sees the world, but how the world also reacts to them. It's mentioned multiple times that the actions do have consequences with what is/isn't available to you in the world in terms of access, both people and dialog, based on how you've chosen to progress the mentality of the character. It doesn't even seem like it will be "both sides-ing" any of these issues.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get that read at all. The game isn't trying to be all "but actually!" and instead is allowing players to make bad decisions that will ultimately affect not only how their character sees the world, but how the world also reacts to them. It's mentioned multiple times that the actions do have consequences with what is/isn't available to you in the world in terms of access, both people and dialog, based on how you've chosen to progress the mentality of the character. It doesn't even seem like it will be "both sides-ing" any of these issues.
the way this is worded just comes off as "look at the big scary black man"
" not only is he giant, he's very black, "
The optics here are terrible with that wording.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
the way this is worded just comes off as "look at the big scary black man"
" not only is he giant, he's very black, "
The optics here are terrible with that wording.
Yeah, "you understand why they're afraid to go past him" suggests that being more afraid of physically imposing men when they're black is a natural or at least comprehensible position to take.

But it's one off-the-cuff line in an interview, so maybe it's handled more thoughtfully in the game. A lot remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.