• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Maybe it was going to be the Thought Cabinet, but they went on Monday instead.

Last edited:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, "you understand why they're afraid to go past him" suggests that being more afraid of physically imposing men when they're black is a natural or at least comprehensible position to take.

But it's one off-the-cuff line in an interview, so maybe it's handled more thoughtfully in the game. A lot remains to be seen.

I think the second part of the quote is important to the context: the character is not simply black, but a black supremacist. His race is important insofar as it plays into his beliefs, and thus the way the PC can interact with him.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Have they talked about console ports? I'll get it on PC if not but my old rig isn't in the best of shape so I'd rather play this on more recent hardware.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I both do and don't want more info. I just really want to read impressions of the first hour. Maybe a video that's a deep-dive video that I can use to sell friends on the game. But nothing too spoiler-y! Gah...I haven't been this excited for a game for a long time.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Although it looks very boring to play for me personally, I really like how it looks. It gives me Bladerunner vibes.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I always assumed my low end computer couldn't run this but I finally looked at the system requirements and I think it'll actually work, so now I'm even more excited for the release.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
hello this is Seniór Editor of GameReview.Website, i appear to have misplaced my review copy and need a new one posthaste. thank you.

Dear Seniór Editor of GameReview.Website,

I would like to oblige your request, but unfortunately, I am Random Punter X, who happened to see this on twitter. I suggest you take your request to the Disco Elysium press team.

Regards,

Random Punter X

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the price? I went to steam to put this on my favourites but didnt see a price for it.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Apparently the preview version is for the first in-game day and some people are sharing some info on it. Sounds really good, reactive and varied from what I've seen.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I've been sold on the setting, writing, esoteric approach for a while. The early impressions have given me hope that they stuck the landing in terms of choices and RPG-ness

My concern is the story and characterizations. That will elevate or annihilate this game. They have to do compelling mysteries, they have to flesh out a noir-ish city, they have to walk a super thin line along political/societal themes. Too much in one direction and it becomes overwrought or insensitive or questionable, too much in the other and it becomes hollow and pretentious...

Most games can barely manage a singular linear intimate narrative, and fewer still attempt mystery thrillers

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore the sound of this, but I'm just not sure I'll sit at a laptop (assuming my laptop would run it) for the time necessary.

Maybe reviews will push me over the edge eventually.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been sold on the setting, writing, esoteric approach for a while. The early impressions have given me hope that they stuck the landing in terms of choices and RPG-ness

My concern is the story and characterizations. That will elevate or annihilate this game. They have to do compelling mysteries, they have to flesh out a noir-ish city, they have to walk a super thin line along political/societal themes. Too much in one direction and it becomes overwrought or insensitive or questionable, too much in the other and it becomes hollow and pretentious...

Most games can barely manage a singular linear intimate narrative, and fewer still attempt mystery thrillers
Now that I think about it, they have been surprisingly coy about the main story. Presumably it's more than just making it through the week as a down and out shitty detective.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I'm assuming it'll be solving that murder. I'm not sure they need anything grand, standard detective fiction doesn't require a big conspiracy, just a tangled web of lies.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not particularly concerned about main storyline, though then again, that stuff is hardly ever the main focus with CRPGs for me. I don't even remember what happens in the main stories of Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 2 and the like, it's all about the side quests and the world and the characters and dialogue for me.

That said, I'll certainly enjoy a good story if there is one and I love a good mystery.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm assuming it'll be solving that murder. I'm not sure they need anything grand, standard detective fiction doesn't require a big conspiracy, just a tangled web of lies.
I was under the impression that there's a number of cases. They may be related, but I don't think it's just one murder.

If we go from the Planescape: Torment inspiration, I'd think the story would be more introspective and about the main character rather than the specific case(s).

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed.

Honestly, the stars may really need to align in a special way in order to pull this one off. It just seems so ambitious.

I'm already seeing rumblings about how even the possibility of letting the player roleplay as a wretched character is somehow politically incorrect. And casual viewers not understanding the (admittedly purported) nuance the game is striving for can easily paint a target on the production, deeming it "insensitive" and not fit for viewing. I can only imagine how easily the game can get dragged by reactionary types unwilling to consider how skillful nuance works in media.

I'm hyped beyond belief for Disco, but at the same time I'm trying to temper my expectations. Is it enough to celebrate the game for what it's trying to do, the avenues it's trying to explore, even if it falls short of expectations? I honestly can't think of many (quite frankly any) games tackling the diverse internal mechanisms of the individual at this level of granularity. Everything so often plays in shades of black & white, esp. in this medium. I'm already viewing the mere attempt found in Disco as a success regardless of "boots on the ground success" ratio.

In this sense I don't think the game necessarily needs to be a grand slam in order to sit well with me. As long as I get an impression that it's coming from a place of genuine effort and intellectual honesty, I'm not sure what else I can ask for.

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see how a bunch of dudes in Estonia can perfectly nail all the racial and political themes they're weaving into the story here. I assume there will be some tin eared stuff.
They're a bunch of dudes (at least two of the writers are women) who have been in London for the better part of the development, to be more accurate.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually do have a question for mikkraisk that is both related and unrelated to the PC game.

In numerous interviews, it has been stated that this was born out of a homebrew tabletop system. Is there any chance that we may ever see that in print/pdf form?

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Definitely not watching any more footage, I'm sold.

And no offense meant to Estonians. It's been my experience that developers in any one country often struggle giving depth to cultures (or fictional analogues of cultures) outside their own. But we'll see!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Only skimmed through the opening archetype (your "class") selection, designating stat points and selecting skills

Can I just say how gorgeous the UI is? What a refreshing visual style compared the usual CRPG menu appearances

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I just watched the stat selection and then skimmed through a bit near the end of the video just to actually see uncut footage of the game for once with full audio. Speaking of audio the game really sounds fantastic, it makes it feel very lively despite reading a text box most of the time.

Regarding stat selection, I'm a little confused how it works. It looks like you choose how much points to put into your 4 base stats, and then each skill under that stat has that amount. So 3 in Motorics means you get +3 to start with every single skill under that stat. I thought maybe you had an allotment of points to put into whatever skills you want limited categorically by your stats, i.e. 3 in Motorics gives you 18 points to divide how you want across those six stats. Maybe you can still do that and the player in the video just didn't? I kind of hope so - I like the idea of being really good at perception but having shit hand-eye coordination for instance. But perhaps that's giving too much decision power to the player from the get go with not enough room to grow.

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I just watched the stat selection and then skimmed through a bit near the end of the video just to actually see uncut footage of the game for once with full audio. Speaking of audio the game really sounds fantastic, it makes it feels very lively despite reading a text box most of the time.

Regarding stat selection, I'm a little confused how it works. It looks like you choose how much points to put into your 4 base stats, and then each skill under that stat has that amount. So 3 in Motorics means you get +3 to start with every single skill under that stat (or is it just +3 for the cap and everything except your signature skill is actually at 0?). I thought maybe you had an allotment of points to put into whatever skills you want limited categorically by your stats, i.e. 3 in Motorics gives you 18 points to divide how you want across those six stats. Maybe you can still do that and the player in the video just didn't? I kind of hope so - I like the idea of being really good at perception but having shit hand-eye coordination for instance. But perhaps that's giving too much decision power to the player from the get go with not enough room to grow.
From the looks of it you choose your attributes and on the skill side just choose a "signature skill" at the start and level up skills as you gain and spend XP through the game.

The way the skill checks work, you add both the relevant attribute as well as the skill ranks (plus and misc modifiers) to the roll.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just watched the stat selection and then skimmed through a bit near the end of the video just to actually see uncut footage of the game for once with full audio. Speaking of audio the game really sounds fantastic, it makes it feels very lively despite reading a text box most of the time.

Regarding stat selection, I'm a little confused how it works. It looks like you choose how much points to put into your 4 base stats, and then each skill under that stat has that amount. So 3 in Motorics means you get +3 to start with every single skill under that stat. I thought maybe you had an allotment of points to put into whatever skills you want limited categorically by your stats, i.e. 3 in Motorics gives you 18 points to divide how you want across those six stats. Maybe you can still do that and the player in the video just didn't? I kind of hope so - I like the idea of being really good at perception but having shit hand-eye coordination for instance. But perhaps that's giving too much decision power to the player from the get go with not enough room to grow.

It doesn't look like you get to invest points in the individual skills in a category that way. At least, going by what is present in those UI screens there doesn't seem to be that option. It makes sense to me with how they've categorized the skills underneath the attributes.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't look like you get to invest points in the individual skills in a category that way. At least, going by what is present in those UI screens there doesn't seem to be that option. It makes sense to me with how they've categorized the skills underneath the attributes.
Going by the release trailer snapshot you will be able to invest individual points when leveling up at least.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
From the looks of it you choose your attributes and on the skill side just choose a "signature skill" at the start and level up skills as you gain and spend XP through the game.

The way the skill checks work, you add both the relevant attribute as well as the skill ranks (plus and misc modifiers) to the roll.
That's what I figured from looking at the UI (unless those colored plus signs on the left let you micromanage the point distribution). That definitely changes how I perceive character creation but it's no biggy.

Going by the release trailer snapshot you will be able to invest individual points when leveling up at least.
Yeah that much I know.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Agreed.

Honestly, the stars may really need to align in a special way in order to pull this one off. It just seems so ambitious.

I'm already seeing rumblings about how even the possibility of letting the player roleplay as a wretched character is somehow politically incorrect. And casual viewers not understanding the (admittedly purported) nuance the game is striving for can easily paint a target on the production, deeming it "insensitive" and not fit for viewing. I can only imagine how easily the game can get dragged by reactionary types unwilling to consider how skillful nuance works in media.

I'm hyped beyond belief for Disco, but at the same time I'm trying to temper my expectations. Is it enough to celebrate the game for what it's trying to do, the avenues it's trying to explore, even if it falls short of expectations? I honestly can't think of many (quite frankly any) games tackling the diverse internal mechanisms of the individual at this level of granularity. Everything so often plays in shades of black & white, esp. in this medium. I'm already viewing the mere attempt found in Disco as a success regardless of "boots on the ground success" ratio.

In this sense I don't think the game necessarily needs to be a grand slam in order to sit well with me. As long as I get an impression that it's coming from a place of genuine effort and intellectual honesty, I'm not sure what else I can ask for.
Very well said! Yes --- the space that Disco Elysium breaks open, the possibilities that its design reveals; these are already worth more to me than the entire genre itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.