• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Where you at, DocSeuss ? Any other tidbits or impressions you could share to sate our desperate desire for the game?

I don't want to spoil much!!!! I played the first act or so and I didn't want to play ANYTHING ELSE as I did it

I skimmed through the gameplay video and they didn't even show any combat, all they did was talk all the time? What the fuck????????

This is why I made the comparison to Sanitarium! It's like that a lot, except the dialogue choices are the gameplay, and there is SO MUCH DEPTH to it. Like... if you ever wanted to see if someone could make a game entirely out of dialogue... they did. This is it. This is what RPGs can be. So much more than DnD.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
mOt2ObG.gif

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I skimmed through the gameplay video and they didn't even show any combat, all they did was talk all the time? What the fuck????????

There IS combat in the game but it's handled much like a traditional table top rpg with your character build and choices and then die rolls that determine the success of your choice during the combat. It's not pew pew *bam* twitch style combat like many newer rpgs.

You can still say "pew pew" when it happens, but you have to use your

2lpEAQJ.gif

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
There IS combat in the game but it's handled much like a traditional table top rpg with your character build and choices and then die rolls that determine the success of your choice during the combat. It's not pew pew *bam* twitch style combat like many newer rpgs.

You can still say "pew pew" when it happens, but you have to use your

2lpEAQJ.gif
This is the kind of shitty hot take garbage I come to Era for.
They're joking.

New official video up:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I made the comparison to Sanitarium! It's like that a lot, except the dialogue choices are the gameplay, and there is SO MUCH DEPTH to it. Like... if you ever wanted to see if someone could make a game entirely out of dialogue... they did. This is it. This is what RPGs can be. So much more than DnD.

I'm frankly incredibly excited to see just how wild things are going to get. My previous comments were definitely tongue-in-cheek and combat is rarely a big focus of top-down CRPGs for me, so I can't wait to see how a game essentially completely devoid of it (at least in the traditional sense) is going to play.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to spoil much!!!! I played the first act or so and I didn't want to play ANYTHING ELSE as I did it

Sort of off topic but is Sanitarium playable today if I were to go back to it? I loved it in the day but I'm wondering if the controls or something would ruin my memory of it.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's plenty of games with just dialogue, some even try to include choice & consequence. The innovation here is keeping the RPG part intact with the stats being relevant and you being able to fail without the whole story collapsing.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
after all this time, after reading countless interviews, watching demos and gameplay bits, reading previews, hearing from the devs... i just, man. this is the game ive been waiting for. this is what i want them to be.

i don't think my laptop can run it, but after how long ive been waiting i cant NOT buy it at release, even if its just to support this team and this work.

cant wait for A Sacred and Terrible Air to finally drop, too.

(no truce with the furies is still a better title tho)

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
after all this time, after reading countless interviews, watching demos and gameplay bits, reading previews, hearing from the devs... i just, man. this is the game ive been waiting for. this is what i want them to be.

i don't think my laptop can run it, but after how long ive been waiting i cant NOT buy it at release, even if its just to support this team and this work.

cant wait for A Sacred and Terrible Air to finally drop, too.

(no truce with the furies is still a better title tho)
Did you check the system requirements? They're pretty minimal.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Truth.

Has there been any news about Sacred and Terrible Air?
From the RPS interview:
Disco Elysium is set in the same fictional world as his novel, which is set in the same fictional world as a very long running custom Dungeons & Dragons game. Nerd shit indeed, my friends. The novel is going to be polished and republished in English about six months or so after the game is released on the 15th of October. "I want to plug it. This is called plugging, right? It's called Sacred And Terrible Air," says Kurvitz, laughing.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sort of off topic but is Sanitarium playable today if I were to go back to it? I loved it in the day but I'm wondering if the controls or something would ruin my memory of it.

Yes, it runs on Windows 10 and is on both steam and gog, also it controls pretty much like most point and click adventure games do, with your mouse clicking where you want to go/what you want to interact with and plenty of pixel hunting and puzzle solving.

The story is still great and holds up, the only part that was a little letdown (to me at least) was the Aztez/hive parts.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it runs on Windows 10 and is on both steam and gog, also it controls pretty much like most point and click adventure games do, with your mouse clicking where you want to go/what you want to interact with and plenty of pixel hunting and puzzle solving.

The story is still great and holds up, the only part that was a little letdown (to me at least) was the Aztez/hive parts.
I will have to go back at some point. Strange that it still stands out as a pretty unique type of adventure game all these years later, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I will have to go back at some point. Strange that it still stands out as a pretty unique type of adventure game all these years later, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

IMO it's the atmosphere, it was just so well done for the most part, like a worm that itches its way into the back of your mind and stays there. I can still recall first playing it back in 98 or so, getting to that pumpkin town, it was just so damn creepy and surreal, like seeing someone's fever dream. Few games came close to it, even back then when it came to that aspect.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This game has been at the top of my Steam wishlist for a long time now. The more I read the posts in this thread, the more excited I get about it!

Quick question: I know Steam Proton has been amazing for gaming on Linux, but has there been any word about how Disco Elysium runs on Linux via Proton?

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
I watched some parts from the 90-minute video that was posted here earlier.

No story spoilers below, but a couple of things stood out:

The game is incredibly funny. I can barely believe it; the potential actions that your internal psyche throws at you are amazing and so varied. Their framing -- the way they word vague suppositions -- is just... they're entirely unfiltered, given to you with reckless abandon. I laughed harder and much more often than I have at any game since Undertale.

The game occasionally uses drone ambient music during conversations, which 1) that's incredible and I can't believe we've finally got a game that capitalizes on this genre's grand background-music potential, and 2) I might be mistaken, but it seems they add layers to the drone to change its emotional energy as the mood of the conversation changes, which is fantastic because drone is so well-suited to that.

I can't wait for this game to come out. It's doing incredible things.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of games with just dialogue, some even try to include choice & consequence. The innovation here is keeping the RPG part intact with the stats being relevant and you being able to fail without the whole story collapsing.

You're right, half my writer friends are big into IF and that's literally all that genre is, haha. I meant an RPG entirely out of dialogue.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I love Cohh, but no way I'm watching past the first building. I'll see what he did after I've played it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did this very short PC Gamer article from a few days ago already end up getting posted? I'm lazy cop right now, operating on a few hours of sleep and a full day of work, so here it is, maybe again, for people to read.

https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-lets-you-be-sherlock-in-flares/

Best part is him taking about doing the opening multiple times with different builds and it feeling very different.

Is it next Tuesday yet? Why don't I have this right now? I'm very disheartened by the current state of affairs being me not actively playing at this very moment.

mikkraisk

Jun 20, 2018
I love Cohh, but no way I'm watching past the first building. I'll see what he did after I've played it.
Same here, it is good to get as much of the game out there as possible, as it is much easier to show than to tell.
I won't watch, but I'm glad they're getting someone as popular as cohh to stream it.

Don't worry, we got you covered with stuff to do right up until launch - https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1181260632131325953

Which is the best way to purchase the game so that the Devs get most of my money?

To be honest it's all the same nowadays, please choose whichever platform is most comfortable for you. Thanks for the support!

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Found this article when looking for pricing info, which has been notably absent in communication and store-fronts so far. 40USD.

Contains information about the Thought Cabinet and some of the things in it. Some would probably consider those spoilers.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Did this very short PC Gamer article from a few days ago already end up getting posted? I'm lazy cop right now, operating on a few hours of sleep and a full day of work, so here it is, maybe again, for people to read.

https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-lets-you-be-sherlock-in-flares/

Best part is him taking about doing the opening multiple times with different builds and it feeling very different.

Is it next Tuesday yet? Why don't I have this right now? I'm very disheartened by the current state of affairs being me not actively playing at this very moment.
Damn, that preview makes it sounds like they nailed...everything. If it maintains the strength of those opening hours, this will be a milestone

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite the list. Honestly, I wish more games came with a "if you like this, check out these works" part. I love it when tabletop roleplaying games have a whole page of recommended inspirational works.

Thrash metal band Anthrax basically started my life-long love affair with Stephen King way back in '87.

Their 3rd album, Among the Living featured a cover song and album art based on The Stand. In the liner notes they credited King saying something to the effect of, "Hey kids, we're big Stephen King fans. If you like our music you should def. check him out."

And since I was a huge Anthrax fanboy, that's exactly what I did. Cruising the K isle in the library I zeroed in on The Stand. The thickest King book there. Woof. I was almost put off by the size of the novel, but I checked it out anyway. 20 pages in I was in love and have been a huge fan ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.