• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
You guys worry too much about reviews. Reviewers should write whatever they feel like best represent the game they've played, and there will be multiple reviewers to give you different angles and thoughts on the game.

Since there's no embargo (?), is there a date on when reviews are coming out?

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Most people playing are only going to play it once so a reviewer doing the same gets across the same general experience, especially when there's a time sensitivity. For a game like this, that's the benefit of different reviews because everyone will have a different experience to write about and get across a fuller picture.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, yeah, but I think making the player uncomfortable is a valid approach that videogames don't use enough. And part of the discomfort is having Victorian-era race theory being appropriated in a way that is knowing, pointed, and darkly funny. But it can also be all those things and kinda fucked up and interpreted many different ways by different people who have different experiences. A black kid from Chicago who grew up reading Malcolm X and Robert F. Williams is going to understand that scene differently from a Sudanese immigrant to Italy or some ham sandwich RPGCodex white supremacist who thinks political correctness is ruining games. Art is hard! ZA/UM have opened their game up to interesting discussions (and potentially interesting criticisms) just because it tackles stuff basically nothing else does—and with a remarkable level of sophistication.

I don't trust them to deliver a perfectly thoughtful, considerate, inclusive game at every turn or to just, like, never fuck up, because that's an impossibility in the jagged, complex world we live in. The corollary of that is that it's incumbent on us, the players, to respond in thoughtful, considered ways and treat their project with respect rather than "cancelling" the game because something in it was clumsy or badly measured.

I completely acknowledge that discomfort could be the intended purpose, or at the least a part of it. My point is that while the execution seems to fit the game in terms of consistency in writing, that same complexity can muddy the waters on the effect hitting it's intended mark, if that's indeed the intended mark. With that being the case, I don't see anything wrong with not giving the benefit of the doubt out of hand and at the same time I don't feel it's appropriate to write the game or the devs off either. It's a real issue and there just isn't enough information and context to say that any person's reaction to this news is missing the point or inaccurate.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, RPS confirmed that there's a journal at least.
disco-elysium-superstar-cop-blur.jpg

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of people at PC Gamer consider it their (potential) GOTY.

Andy K: Having just sunk 16 hours into a preview build, I think Disco Elysium definitely has a shot at being the, or at least one of, the year's best games. It's one of the most impossibly deep RPGs I've ever played, and the writing is fantastic—if a little indulgent at times. What makes it special is the sheer number of skill checks in every interaction and conversation, with more permutations than I think any single human could ever realistically see. It's a role-playing game in the truest sense, allowing you to shape your alcoholic detective in a terrifyingly dense variety of ways. I'll hold off on proclaiming it GOTY until I get my hands on the review code, but for now, it's a very strong contender indeed.

On a personal level, the amazing thing here isn't that the game is potential GOTY material. It's that it's GOTY material utilizing systems that truly matter to me.

Narrative first and foremost. Emotional complexity and nuance. True player choice and agency. Grounded, authentic characterizations. Ambiguity in morality. It's all like a dream come true.

And that's before even getting to the drop dead gorgeous visuals, UI, etc. This is MY kinda GOTY fantasy.

Put it this way, we all want to see industry success stories. It elevates the craft and makes it a healthier platform. But the field is diverse enough at this point where tastes are gonna vary greatly.

So when the press and community sings in unison that God of War 2018 is GOTY, I just kinda nod my head and say, "Yeah I can see it." But the game/genre doesn't speak to me. Like at all. No shade, it's just not my jam.

Enter Disco with similar GOTY buzz. Except now it's a genre & focus that I'm actually passionate about. That's what makes this feel like such a special production in my orbit.

So good.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the trailer. Got major Shadowrun vibe from it. If folks are liking it, I may pick it up since I've been craving to get some type of similar fix.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
It's quite difficult to pin down a good analogy for what it is. I'd probably go with something like Planescape Torment by way of China Mieville with Murakami-style magical realism.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
China Mieville definitely comes to mind, and I've only read half of The City and The City. I didn't really care for the book that much but the writing was very evocative, and what I got out of it is pretty close to how I'm currently perceiving DE.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Seems to be Windows only out of the gate, but have the devs discussed the possibility of ports in the future? My brother showed me this and I'm super into it, but I would need a Mac version or something.

Will keep my eyes peeled. 👀

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Also a short preview from RPS
Disco Elysium is a very dense RPG, where you play an amnesiac alcoholic detective trying to solve a) a murder and b) his identity. As part of the latter quest, the game takes note of your words and actions, and uses them to build an outline of your personality traits. Then it suggests a "copotype" that you roughly adhere to. Until quite recently it suggested I was a "Boring Cop". I was, as you can imagine, livid at this.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China Mieville definitely comes to mind, and I've only read half of The City and The City. I didn't really care for the book that much but the writing was very evocative, and what I got out of it is pretty close to how I'm currently perceiving DE.

Definitely got that vibe here too! Like you, I'm not a super fan of his stories per se, but he creates really fun worlds visually and conceptually, totally the kind of place I'd love to play a game set in.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Already thinking about my starting build. Gonna go with something similar to the Physical archetype, maybe 2 INT, 2 PSY, 4 FYS, 4 MOT with my signature skill set as Empathy. I kind of want to do 1 PSY 5 FYS but it'll be hard to stomach "Terrible" empathy and authority starting scores for the character I'm envisioning.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
ah yes, the most time-consuming, heart-wrenching part of ANY RPG: statting and building your character.

i have ZERO idea who or what im going to play, and i hope i have some revelation before the 15th

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
ah yes, the most time-consuming, heart-wrenching part of ANY RPG: statting and building your character.

i have ZERO idea who or what im going to play, and i hope i have some revelation before the 15th
This one is particularly bad because almost every skill sounds awesome. I'm leaning Psyche-heavy. Definitely want to push Inland Empire (the Lynchian skill).

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Trying to decide if I'll take Inland Empire because it sounds like something that might intensely change the game and dialogue like being a malkalvian in Vampire the Masquerade. Might be better suited for a second playthrough(years from now with that length lol)

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
This one is particularly bad because almost every skill sounds awesome. I'm leaning Psyche-heavy. Definitely want to push Inland Empire (the Lynchian skill).

oh god, tell me about it. at first i was thinking of going full dumb brute cop but between cool Psyche-skills like Inland Empire or the super meta Esprit de Corps, i dont know wtf im gonna do

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017

I do think they made the initial building process really streamlined and approachable though. You're only allocating 12 points among 4 stats, and then picking your signature skill, and then that's it.

However if you haven't read up about each of the skills individually then yeah you could be there for a while. Especially because skills are more complex than their name suggests. For example Endurance isn't just your health points, it's your gut feeling, your machismo, your tolerance to drugs, etc..

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So how does stat distribution and perk choice when you create your character? Haven't been following

From earlier in the thread
Going through the articles, I think I want to focus on Visual Calculus, Inland Empire, Empathy, Suggestion, Pain Threshold, Reaction Speed, and Savoir Faire.

A hyper-aware silver-tongued show-off with the brawn to take a punch and keep getting back up. Not that good at actually ending fights though, but a good punching bag once his stamina and agility falters. Probably not the sharpest tool in the shed either: good at lying his ass off and manipulating people to get results, not so good at proper detective work

Now let's see if the game can make that characterization a reality

That kind of build seems like low Intellect, high Psyche, high Physique, low-mid Motorics

I assume more points in a stat lets you choose more skills in those categories at the start

I do think they made the initial building process really streamlined and approachable though. You're only allocating 12 points among 4 stats, and then picking your signature skill, and then that's it.

However if you haven't read up about each of the skills individually then yeah you could be there for a while. Especially because skills are more complex than their name suggests. For example Endurance isn't just your health points, it's your gut feeling, your machismo, your tolerance to drugs, etc..
Oh, you only choose one skill (ie Empathy, Pain Threshold, etc)?

Oct 26, 2017
UK

(its actually reallllly good)

Yeah, I think anybody concerned about the character should give it a watch. It seems like a pretty good critique of race science right to the idea of people following others preaching it because they sound smart when in reality it's convoluted nonsense. Plus It's done in a way that wouldn't be attractive to actual white supremacists.

Though obviously the context will be important.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So how does stat distribution and perk choice when you create your character? Haven't been following

From earlier in the thread

That kind of build seems like low Intellect, high Psyche, high Physique, low-mid Motorics

I assume more points in a stat lets you choose more skills in those categories at the start

Oh, you only choose one skill (ie Empathy, Pain Threshold, etc)?
Yeah. Someone explained it to me in a post earlier, here's how it works:

Put your 12 points into 4 different stats. The values of those stats gives you both the starting value and the cap of each skill categorized under that stat. So 4 in Physique would give you 4 Endurance, 4 Pain Threshold, 4 Physical Instrument, etc.. That would also cap each of those at double the value at 8 (because you get 4 and you can gain 4) . Then you choose a signature skill which gets a +1 bonus and raises the cap of that entire category. So if I chose Pain Threshold as my skill, it would start at 5 and the cap of it and every other skill in Physique would be raised to 9.

Raising points individually comes through level ups, equipment, and thought cabinet projects. You can also raise skill caps with thoughts and equipment, they aren't "hard" caps. There's a lot of room to grow.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Shivers gang represent! Maybe with Shivers and Esprit de Corps you can actually get someone else to do your work for you.
I feel like shivers and esprit are going to have some crazy shit buried in there but they're going to be very rare and require very high rolls to witness them.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like shivers and espirit are going to have some crazy shit buried in there but they're going to be very rare and require very high rolls to witness them.
There was some talk about a Shivers-only quest at some point.

Also 3 3 3 3 for the ideal starter build, change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.