• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't seem like a professional review, just someone with a blog. I associate these guys with Dark Souls and Sekiro walkthroughs and Wiki data, I didn't even know they had a news space let alone did reviews. It really just reads like a preview though, honestly, most of the review is spent explaining how the game is played and then offering up some examples. The only thing he notes here as a criticism seems to be the music,

…and the voiced dialog, which he thought was amazing and wants more of it.

(which is a silly request for a small development studio to provide for a million lines of dialog, so maybe the reviewer is new to writing about video games).

Which brings me to my own point, why did he score the game an 8.5 when the only things he didn't seem to enjoy were the music wasn't as good as it could have been and he liked the voice work so much he demands more of it? Were there bugs, did he have problems figuring out where to go? I don't mind an 8.5, it's a great score for a game of this size, but I can't figure out why it didn't get higher given his lack of (meaningful) concerns? He scores the Gameplay an 8 - again, not a bad score or anything, but what brought it down two full points? Did the reviewer run into issues with the gameplay?

I posted this on the review site as well as a comment, but it hasn't shown up yet so it seems they curate their comments.
Dont know answers about the review score myself. But I would agree exactly with those things they pointed out.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
this looks like my kind of game because I love dialogue in rpgs when you can influence the story and the world with it and rarely enjoy the combat. But I do think a good balance of combat and dialogue makes for enjoyable motivating pacing so I am not entirely sure about this.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this looks like my kind of game because I love dialogue in rpgs when you can influence the story and the world with it and rarely enjoy the combat. But I do think a good balance of combat and dialogue makes for enjoyable motivating pacing so I am not entirely sure about this.
Ya thats one thing about this. it doesn't have combat separate at all. Its checks in the narrative. I had to make that clear in my video cause I can see people thinking it has like turn based battle which it doesnt.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
There is "combat" but it's done through the same interface as the dialogue: skill checks and actions based on items, stats, etc

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I usually end up turning voice acting off completely in 90% of games, so the lack of full voice is meaningless to me.

Oct 26, 2017
The common theme of Disco Elysium is taking modern day geopolitical issues, things that have become mainstays in just about every form of media there is, including gaming, and poking fun at them. It's a game that takes something quite serious, a murder, and makes light of it and the events surrounding it until you can't help but laugh. If you are looking for a "serious" RPG, this isn't it.

That quote surprised me, I didn't follow in detail the game to avoid spoilers / because it seemed totally be my thing, but I thought it was going to be a 'serious' RPG.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I usually end up turning voice acting off completely in 90% of games, so the lack of full voice is meaningless to me.

I normally do this (and music) as well so I can play while I have something like a movie or TV streaming while I play, but with so much reading to be done I won't be able to with this one, I'm thinking. Plus the voice work I've heard has been pretty good.

That said, I don't want full voice work - give me enough to get the gist of how the character sounds so I can skip through the dialog as fast as I can read it, rather than how fast it's being read to me. It's one of my favorite things about Pillars of Eternity 1. I can "hear" the rest of the dialog in that voice if you just give me a little bit to start.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the "combat" sounds like exactly what I'd want in something like this so that is a plus to me. Super excited for this BUT I have so much shit to play.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Ten years ago this would have been the greatest thing ever but ever since then I have lost all of my tolerance for satire.

I'm going to make a boring character who tries his best to kill every joke in the room and see how far you can go like that.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just heard about this game and it's everything I've ever wanted in a game holy shit.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this excerpt from the ACG podcast posted on another forum
"It makes Planescape: Torment look boring — it is that crazy."

"Planescape: Torment is one of my favorite ever games, and I still maintain it's the best written video game ever made."

"I might think this one is better, 'cause I would agree with you prior to playing this."

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's good to hear. Given all the weird possibilities and the glimpses of the writing, I was thinking the whole game would be comedic
No. Basically its a freakishly dire world and how you interact with it also levels out how much humour you get from it. You can play it straight. Strange shit will STILL happen for sure. But it will be less. With the skills basically being alive and talking to you its hard to play it down the line. Cause after awhile it just becomes so interesting to dive in.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
That said, I don't want full voice work - give me enough to get the gist of how the character sounds so I can skip through the dialog as fast as I can read it, rather than how fast it's being read to me. It's one of my favorite things about Pillars of Eternity 1. I can "hear" the rest of the dialog in that voice if you just give me a little bit to start.

Exactly.

Dinging this sort of text-heavy game for not being "fully voiced" is a bit like complaining that your gold-leafed chocolate dessert didn't come with a 20g gold bar.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm thinking of going Physique 6, Motorics 3, Intellect 2, Psyche 1.
A drunk cop who punches and occasionally gives art critiques.
That should work right?
Wondering what to set as a Signature Skill, though.
Physique is already high, so, should you set it in one of the lower attributes?
If you want art critic stuff, obviously pick Conceptualisation.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I've had Disco Elysium on the back burner of my brain for years. I've always wondered how a game can be an RPG with "battles" but not battles lol. I watched a 10 minute review and I am sold!

is it only on Steam at release? I'm gonna prepurchase today if possible so it can be ready to go as soon as it goes live (assuming tomorrow sometime not like a midnight release).

This looks like a possible GOTY to me! And the name Disco Elysium is just too fuckin cool.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait; I already bought some Steam cards at the supermarket to add to my Wallet for this game. I've read that RPS article and watched the trailer on Steam, but have otherwise been on a media blackout for this game. I'm tempted to look at that character build guide posted earlier, but I want to go in blind.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017

I agree with you, I don't like it when games mix large text boxes with fully-voiced dialogue. Pillars of Eternity 2 voiced every single line, and while it was well-acted eventually it became an annoyance, as I always read the dialogue much faster than it was spoken.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I for sure want full voicework. Just let someone turn it off if they want. Best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.