• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusky

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying the game so far, easily a GOTY contender already and I'm only on day 2.

I'm not stuck as such but there's definitely a challenge that I'd rather not take the easy route with...

Is there any way to get past Measurehead without bowing down to his ideology? I see there's also an option to confront him physically but I don't have the stats to do that.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying the game so far, easily a GOTY contender already and I'm only on day 2.

I'm not stuck as such but there's definitely a challenge that I'd rather not take the easy route with...

Is there any way to get past Measurehead without bowing down to his ideology? I see there's also an option to confront him physically but I don't have the stats to do that.

You can kick his ass if you're physical. If you're motorics you can sneak in through the shack by the body.

If you're an all around physical wimp you gotta submit to his ideology bit you can actually avoid adopting it, just see it as lying to appease him.

Discussing his ideology opens up the only route to becoming sober so it's worth it

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been stuck looking around for a couple hours, so maybe someone knows?

I was told to try and find what happened to the bug in the trap and to talk to the local kids about it. Pretty sure I've talked to like every kid I can remember and haven't been able to find anything.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
started over a few times but am finally getting farther in

i really can't see anything topping this for me this year. probably my favorite game to come out in the past few years.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
This is running smoother on my laptop with a 1060 than on my desktop with a 1080ti (lots of stutter in outdoor areas there). Unity gonna Unity, I guess

Other than that I'm absolutely loving all of this

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the negotiator's quest, because I'm not sure if the game has bugged out:

Investigating the drug trafficking. After scaring the racist driver I can now examine one particular truck cab, but I can't open it and it doesn't open up any new leads. I also talked to the female driver nearby and concluded that I can't get anywhere with her.

Should I have any other options at this point?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this. It was an incredible experience that lives up to the hype in every way. The writing delivered, the game had me laughing, it had me engrossed on the minutiae of hours of conversations. It built a great world that they really set up well for a sequel.

I'm looking forward to seeing more spoiler talk to find out how divergent things actually get. It's difficult to tell how railroaded the last stretch is.

It took me 16 hours and I was pretty thorough, so the 15-20 hour range for the game's length that's been going around is accurate.

I'm assuming it will take me somewhat longer, but that is a much more appealing playtime, huh. Trying to fit in a lot of different things during an increasingly busy time and I was already very interested, but if it's actually anywhere near that short I'll be much more likely to get to it in the next week or two. Good to know!

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you abused savefiles, yet?
I did it twice. First with the bookshop owner after solving the quest, because i through i could back out with an option, which was wrong. Still had the same outcome in the end.
Second was beating up the muscle racist, because i actually risked it and tried to punch him (with help of items), the screen went green and the game bugged out (It tried to load both outcomes, the animations frezzed, but the menu still worked). So i tried three times, to get my succsesful outcome back.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to rebind keys? I know there aren't many but I'd love to have it so that instead of Tab I just hit middle mouse to highlight objects. Then I could play the game 100% with my mouse!

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this. It was an incredible experience that lives up to the hype in every way. The writing delivered, the game had me laughing, it had me engrossed on the minutiae of hours of conversations. It built a great world that they really set up well for a sequel.

I'm looking forward to seeing more spoiler talk to find out how divergent things actually get. It's difficult to tell how railroaded the last stretch is.

It took me 16 hours and I was pretty thorough, so the 15-20 hour range for the game's length that's been going around is accurate.
Oh wow, 20 hours is much easier to swallow than the 60 that was mentioned prerelease. I may actually finish this before the next fall release I'm excited for

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Day 5 and had mostly been avoiding all discussion, to the point that I finally got stuck on something and only now realized holding down Tab highlights all interactable objects.

I am no longer stuck.

This game is great, the writing is great. I've hit a few patches where I clearly did things in an order the game wasn't expecting, but for the most part it's all hanging together pretty well.

I've been stuck looking around for a couple hours, so maybe someone knows?

I was told to try and find what happened to the bug in the trap and to talk to the local kids about it. Pretty sure I've talked to like every kid I can remember and haven't been able to find anything.

You need to talk to
Cuno about; you should get a dialogue option to talk about locusts.

Question for the negotiator's quest, because I'm not sure if the game has bugged out:

Investigating the drug trafficking. After scaring the racist driver I can now examine one particular truck cab, but I can't open it and it doesn't open up any new leads. I also talked to the female driver nearby and concluded that I can't get anywhere with her.

Should I have any other options at this point?

There are
three drivers you can talk to; the racist, the old woman, and a third driver.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Day 5 and had mostly been avoiding all discussion, to the point that I finally got stuck on something and only now realized holding down Tab highlights all interactable objects.

I am no longer stuck.

This game is great, the writing is great. I've hit a few patches where I clearly did things in an order the game wasn't expecting, but for the most part it's all hanging together pretty well.

You need to talk to
Cuno about; you should get a dialogue option to talk about locusts.

I talked to him about it, They called it lame and now I don't have any other options to talk about it with them.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game.
thelaw.png

Oct 25, 2017
I talked to him about it, They called it lame and now I don't have any other options to talk about it with them.

Did you get a prompt to go check his hideout? Talk to him, check the hideout, you might have to talk to him again after (I think inspecting the thing in his hideout gave me new conversation with him but am not 100%), and then you should be able to go back to the old couple.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did you get a prompt to go check his hideout? Talk to him, check the hideout, you might have to talk to him again after (I think inspecting the thing in his hideout gave me new conversation with him but am not 100%), and then you should be able to go back to the old couple.
Cool, that did it. I dont think I got a prompt to go check his hideout out, but it's possible I missed it. Thanks for the help!

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure everyone will agree Cuno is an awfully voiced character, but I would also argue that he is poorly written too.

The fact that he
can end up replacing Kim
had me save scumming, but only because I failed two 73% chances and then a 93%

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Going slower than most people here it seems but I just finished day 1 after nearly 10 hours play.

The character development with Kim is just sublime and I think he is probably my favourite new character in any game I have played this year. I think what really sells it is the slow burn with learning his interests and his own character very occasionally chiming in or otherwise opening up from left field. I think the balcony chat at the end of the first day was brilliant.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does opting into some thoughts or out of others have disadvantages? I decided NOT to start down the Communist path but kinda feel like I missed out.

If I had done it, would that close other doors later?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
You can kick his ass if you're physical. If you're motorics you can sneak in through the shack by the body.

If you're an all around physical wimp you gotta submit to his ideology bit you can actually avoid adopting it, just see it as lying to appease him.

Discussing his ideology opens up the only route to becoming sober so it's worth it
I only had 2 in motorics but I was able to get in the shack because getting a task from Cuno to go to his apartment raised the chance on it.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Well, just beat the game at 27 hours.
Did a 3/1/5/3 character. Shivers is pretty good, but I probably could've done without most of Physique.
Well, except for spin-kicking Measurehead.
Definately want to do a more INT-based character and kind of wish I pumped more points into actual skills instead of unlocking all Though Cabinet slots and forgetting a bunch of Thoughts, too.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
stuck with measurehead, failed the physical thing, did his ideology bollocks, went back did the convo but it went nowhere?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If there's an issue with the VO, it's that the sound-quality is inconsistent. Some don't sound like they were recorded in a proper environment and have some echo/reverb. It's more noticeable with louder characters (like Cuno) but it's a fairly minor blemish.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Damn, wish it had controller support. I have a Steam controller though. Has anyone tested it yet?

Steam controller works great (I generally don't use it unless I have to) and is how I have played most of the game so far. I uploaded a configuration to try on steam (I think there are only currently 2 community sourced ones) I have tweaked it further since uploading but it might be a good place to start off.

Sep 21, 2019
Well, just beat the game at 27 hours.
Did a 3/1/5/3 character. Shivers is pretty good, but I probably could've done without most of Physique.
Well, except for spin-kicking Measurehead.
Definately want to do a more INT-based character and kind of wish I pumped more points into actual skills instead of unlocking all Though Cabinet slots and forgetting a bunch of Thoughts, too.

I am using the Controller Companion app from Steam and a Xbox One controller to great effect. There just aren't a lot of keys to press in this game, so it is very easy to map the few commands it does have to a standard controller and play that way. Works a treat. With a Steam controller I'm sure that is an even easier thing to accomplish.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to hear more about how people are liking their different builds. I went like...5/3/2/2 with signature Conceptualization, full Art Cop, and I'm loving it. I also keep flubbing, like, 72% Logic checks but somehow hitting 26% Suggestion checks, so I don't even feel like I'm actually getting the real Int experience.

getting dim senses of other possible routes makes me super interested in trying, maybe, a combo Psyche/Motorics playthrough. not feeling nearly as interested in a Physique-heavy playthrough, except that it might be sort of interesting to do for a fash run

Sep 21, 2019
Going slower than most people here it seems but I just finished day 1 after nearly 10 hours play.

The character development with Kim is just sublime and I think he is probably my favourite new character in any game I have played this year. I think what really sells it is the slow burn with learning his interests and his own character very occasionally chiming in or otherwise opening up from left field. I think the balcony chat at the end of the first day was brilliant.

Playing at the same pace as you. 11 hours in and just starting the second day. Chat on balcony was brilliant writing. Love Kim and the layers of his character after just one day. And I loved the night segment once you go to sleep. Game is dark as fuck and just dripping with heavy, palpable sadness. This detective is one fucked up dude, but there might be some hope for redemption out there for him yet. I'm certainly going to try. But just the drip-feed of his back story is very well-handled as well. What an immersive game. It is like an interactive choose-your-own-adventure.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
Did you abused savefiles, yet?
Only place I have so far was in talking to the Union boss, but I feel like I was forced into it, since
you can't leave without finishing your talk with him to get the keycard, and due to whatever build I had at the time, talking to him always meant death in his chair.

Save scummed repeatedly to find a way out or through, but unfortunately there isn't one, and had to revert to an old save before I entered the area altogether.

Only place I've found that had that kind of design problem so far, but still disappointing to encounter.

pbrand

Jun 13, 2018
Been playing this obsessively the past couple days -- it truly does fill the gap I've had in my soul ever since JRPGs and computer RPGs declined (arbitrarily going to say the zenith was 1995-2005). Za/um really knocked it out of the park here, and I look forward to whatever else they make. Ideally it would take fewer than 5 years to make it, but I can wait.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat it and feel a little hollow as I haven't been into a game like this in a long time, and there's nothing else quite like it to fill the void. I give it a 9/10, even though I had quite a lot of negative things they were all very small and paled in comparison to the good stuff. The ending was a tad underwhelming, for sure.. which is the only real heartbreaker.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Steam controller works great (I generally don't use it unless I have to) and is how I have played most of the game so far. I uploaded a configuration to try on steam (I think there are only currently 2 community sourced ones) I have tweaked it further since uploading but it might be a good place to start off.
This is great to hear!! Thanks a lot for uploading your config. I'll let you know how I like them once I give it a try this weekend.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, thinking about it are the postcards and Van Eyck(sp?) posters do anything or are they just collectible things?

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Are there multiple endings?

I have only seen *my* ending, but the way it was presented leads me to believe that your actions throughout the entire game ultimately lead to one of two endings - albeit with a hundred little caveats along the way made up by your own personal playthrough.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
How easy is it to play with a controller? Does it have official support? Or a steam gamepad config?

For reference, i played the entirety of Torment tides of numenera with a controller. Comfy couch!

Last edited:

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to hear more about how people are liking their different builds. I went like...5/3/2/2 with signature Conceptualization, full Art Cop, and I'm loving it. I also keep flubbing, like, 72% Logic checks but somehow hitting 26% Suggestion checks, so I don't even feel like I'm actually getting the real Int experience.

getting dim senses of other possible routes makes me super interested in trying, maybe, a combo Psyche/Motorics playthrough. not feeling nearly as interested in a Physique-heavy playthrough, except that it might be sort of interesting to do for a fash run

2/4/4/2 with signature Composure. I wanted to be unflappable and was pleasantly surprised that this basically let me do that.

I think every parameter is subtly doing work without you ever noticing because if you switch your parameters around then some dialogue options will just not be there at all while others will be. I assume high Physique must affect this just as much as everything else does.

In my experience you mainly "feel" the impact of low Encyclopedia and low Visual Calculus in a low-Int run, as you keep failing checks of what words like "billion" mean and failing to recreate crime scenes to gain information you can't get anywhere else. But I feel like stuff that Logic misses in conversations, something like Empathy will generally cover for?

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
2/4/4/2 with signature Composure. I wanted to be unflappable and was pleasantly surprised that this basically let me do that.

I think every parameter is subtly doing work without you ever noticing because if you switch your parameters around then some dialogue options will just not be there at all while others will be. I assume high Physique must affect this just as much as everything else does.

In my experience you mainly "feel" the impact of low Encyclopedia and low Visual Calculus in a low-Int run, as you keep failing checks of what words like "billion" mean and failing to recreate crime scenes to gain information you can't get anywhere else. But I feel like stuff that Logic misses in conversations, something like Empathy will generally cover for?

Yeah, my cop is a bit sensitive and before I upgraded my Logic I was basically holding on Empathy.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Quoting myself because I just want to make sure this is intended before I continue:
Is time supposed to (late night of day 1 spoilers)
stop passing at 2am? The clock hasn't ticked past 2 so I'm still running around getting a lot done. Is the idea just that you *have* to sleep in order to get back to the daylight hours?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Time mainly passes when you talk to people. So once everyone has gone to sleep there are far fewer ways to make time pass!
That's true, but I went to the pawn shop for the first time, talked to someone at the lorry pileup for the first time, and did some other stuff once the clock hit 2am and it hasn't gone past it at all. Is that supposed to happen?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is there any way to rebind keys? I know there aren't many but I'd love to have it so that instead of Tab I just hit middle mouse to highlight objects. Then I could play the game 100% with my mouse!
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. The keyboard is only useful for the tab-ing for me anyway.

How easy is it to play with a controller? Does it have official support? Or a steam gamepad config?
No controller support, and no community config yet so far. You can try, but you need to make your own config.

Since there's not that many buttons to press anyway, I made my own config on Steam and it kind works.

KS5lJBw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.