• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I turned off the VA and it feels like things are more tonally even now, even if some good bits are lost.
Could someone put in spoiler tags where I can find a garbage bag?

It's really early on

Just head left out the hotel door, there's a guy standing by the water and the bag is below his foot. It's yellow. You can just take it, he doesn't really speak to you.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Only place I have so far was in talking to the Union boss, but I feel like I was forced into it, since
you can't leave without finishing your talk with him to get the keycard, and due to whatever build I had at the time, talking to him always meant death in his chair.

Save scummed repeatedly to find a way out or through, but unfortunately there isn't one, and had to revert to an old save before I entered the area altogether.

Only place I've found that had that kind of design problem so far, but still disappointing to encounter.

I got stuck at the same spot and had to save scum for 20 minutes to get through it. I chose 4/4/2/2 for my character and it actually has NOT been going well so far. I may restart the game and try something else. Feels like I'm missing something with my build and I'm not sure what :/

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Taking me a bit of time to adjust to not trying to click through every dialogue line.

So used to other CRPGs where you're supposed to make sure to go through every line.

Here it seems detrimental since it uses up time and can make people upset at you. But correct me if I'm wrong.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Taking me a bit of time to adjust to not trying to click through every dialogue line.

So used to other CRPGs where you're supposed to make sure to go through every line.

Here it seems detrimental since it uses up time and can make people upset at you. But correct me if I'm wrong.

What you say (or don't say) will have a very direct effect on your ending - in some cases even if you wouldn't think it possible.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm 5/4/2/2 and haven't gotten stuck anywhere. I don't think it's really possible to screw yourself over with a build

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the end of day 2 and I think my game might have bugged—can someone let me know if I should restart it?

I was doing the "get the whole story from Titus" task after talking to Klaasje about the tape and then going back to him. During the conversation with him, the camera slid over to the barkeep guy (during the "get us 20 beers" thing) and then, for some reason, never slid back. i finished the whole conversation and the camera snapped back to me, but there was no one around me—no hardie boys. I got a task to talk to Klaasje about Titus's "whole story", but when I went through her apartment, she wasn't there or on the balcony.

It's 11:30 PM. am I missing something? did my game break somehow?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

You don't need to be this obsessive. Worrying about time should not deter you from reading all the dialogue you want.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I'm at the end of day 2 and I think my game might have bugged—can someone let me know if I should restart it?

I was doing the "get the whole story from Titus" task after talking to Klaasje about the tape and then going back to him. During the conversation with him, the camera slid over to the barkeep guy (during the "get us 20 beers" thing) and then, for some reason, never slid back. i finished the whole conversation and the camera snapped back to me, but there was no one around me—no hardie boys. I got a task to talk to Klaasje about Titus's "whole story", but when I went through her apartment, she wasn't there or on the balcony.

It's 11:30 PM. am I missing something? did my game break somehow?
She does disappear at a certain time late night, I don't know if 11:30 is past the cuttoff point. I'd keep playing until the next day and see if she reappears.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to be this obsessive. Worrying about time should not deter you from reading all the dialogue you want.
This is DEFINITELY a game in which you don't just want to blithely click on every dialogue option you haven't explored, though. A lot of them can profoundly damage your relationship for zero gain. You have to think about what you're doing.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
For anyone who wants to scratch a similar itch after this, check out Pathologic 2.
And depending on your tolerance for actively and intentionally offputting gameplay, I highly recommend Pathologic 1. I love that game to bits, even if it doesn't love me.

The complex, nested dialogue trees and highly developed world of Disco Elysium really remind me of Pathologic, as I've said earlier in this thread. If you need more, look there.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
This is DEFINITELY a game in which you don't just want to blithely click on every dialogue option you haven't explored, though. A lot of them can profoundly damage your relationship for zero gain. You have to think about what you're doing.
Yeah, certain options will blow up on you. I was more addressing the time concerns. I wouldn't recommend playing the game fretting over time limits.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Only place I have so far was in talking to the Union boss, but I feel like I was forced into it, since
you can't leave without finishing your talk with him to get the keycard, and due to whatever build I had at the time, talking to him always meant death in his chair.

Save scummed repeatedly to find a way out or through, but unfortunately there isn't one, and had to revert to an old save before I entered the area altogether.

Only place I've found that had that kind of design problem so far, but still disappointing to encounter.
I got to that area without Kim at night and I recall
finding a card on my own without talking to him (he wasn't even there) and making my way out so I could get to sleep. I don't remember where it was, unfortunately. Later I talked to him with Kim and got another card, lol.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, I finished it, took me 36h. Not going to write a huge novel here, overall I think it's an amazing experience and a great game with a few issues, most minor and fixable, but a few bigger ones as well. This being any studio's first game is crazy and I hope they'll keep making amazing games.

My biggest takeaway is that this new, narrative-based crpg works and I'm amazed no one tried it before. Furthermore both the writing and art are amazing, just the main menu blows me away every time I see it.

EDIT: I really hope someone makes a spoiler thread for this.

Just one fun tidbit:
I never did find my gun.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
And depending on your tolerance for actively and intentionally offputting gameplay, I highly recommend Pathologic 1. I love that game to bits, even if it doesn't love me.

The complex, nested dialogue trees and highly developed world of Disco Elysium really remind me of Pathologic, as I've said earlier in this thread. If you need more, look there.

The Void could work too, although it is much bleaker.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do I use the thought cabinet?

My intelligence is 1 so there's a good chance my character is too stupid to use it, but there's also a chance that I personally am too stupid to realize what I need to do.

Edit: Looks my real life intelligence is close to 1. You click internalize and it shows how long it will take to figure out in game as well as the bonus (or adverse effect).

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any pants I can find besides the starting ones and the jeans in the coal vent? I don't wanna run around pantsless but I hate these stats.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
In addition to this question, can someone explain, with minimal spoilers, what the "opting-in/opting-out" thoughts are?
They give you access to thoughts based on ideologies like communism and what all. I don't think opting in actually does anything except giving you the thought to internalize if you want to.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
How do I use the thought cabinet?

My intelligence is 1 so there's a good chance my character is too stupid to use it, but there's also a chance that I personally am too stupid to realize what I need to do.

Edit: Looks my real life intelligence is close to 1. You click internalize and it shows how long it will take to figure out in game as well as the bonus (or adverse effect).
That's fine, we all have such days, sometimes I wake up a 1111, the next day will be better.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I'm the best at Communism
wNUNsVR.jpg

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Man the level of possible responses and permutations is insane. At the end of the first day Kim's debrief was startlingly accurate. He even commented on the new shoes I had, on the fact I ran everywhere, and then put those two facts together to say that it must have been difficult to run in my new shoes. He also commented on stuff we failed to do. Just really amazing reactivity, I feel like this game is going to have insane replay value.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
What is the "old fish market?" The fishermen shacks or something at the Martinaise waterfront?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, this game is amazing so far. I didn't know what character to make so I just randomized it and winged it. So far my character is a smart ass who tries his best with pretty mediocre results.

Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished. I played through with 5/4/1/2, and while there are a couple of spots that the low physical made awkward I think I was able to get by largely because I didn't invest much in Thoughts and just used skill points to meet important skill checks.

I ended up pretty hard walled at one point and had to use a beer to raise stat caps so I could make one check that I couldn't figure out any other way to handle; I hit a *really* lucky roll early on which ended up costing me access to a thought that would have made the physical skill stuff significantly easier, I think, and without it the low cap on physical instruments made one side quest a problem.

That said, I am really curious about ending spreads. Specifically I'm curious if the game railroads you in a couple of spots:

- Is it possible to have a deathless tribunal? I lost half the Hardie boys and two or three of the mercy; the game couldn't make up its mind on six or seven dead. I can't figure out what I could have done to lower the body count, but it seems like there should have been a better way.

- I intervened and managed to head off a war between the union and the corporation; if you don't, is there actual chaos in the streets? Or does everything still empty out?

- Are you scripted to encounter the phasmid? It doesn't seem to be mandatory to end the plot, but it is pretty significant.

*Really* satisfying game; I'm currently weighing between doing another play through now with a wildly different build, or waiting a bit to put some distance between the story and I.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
So I just finished. I played through with 5/4/1/2, and while there are a couple of spots that the low physical made awkward I think I was able to get by largely because I didn't invest much in Thoughts and just used skill points to meet important skill checks.

I ended up pretty hard walled at one point and had to use a beer to raise stat caps so I could make one check that I couldn't figure out any other way to handle; I hit a *really* lucky roll early on which ended up costing me access to a thought that would have made the physical skill stuff significantly easier, I think, and without it the low cap on physical instruments made one side quest a problem.

That said, I am really curious about ending spreads. Specifically I'm curious if the game railroads you in a couple of spots:

- Is it possible to have a deathless tribunal? I lost half the Hardie boys and two or three of the mercy; the game couldn't make up its mind on six or seven dead. I can't figure out what I could have done to lower the body count, but it seems like there should have been a better way.

- I intervened and managed to head off a war between the union and the corporation; if you don't, is there actual chaos in the streets? Or does everything still empty out?

- Are you scripted to encounter the phasmid? It doesn't seem to be mandatory to end the plot, but it is pretty significant.

*Really* satisfying game; I'm currently weighing between doing another play through now with a wildly different build, or waiting a bit to put some distance between the story and I.

Having read a bunch of impressions of the end game, I think it's fairly railroaded.
You always get into a firefight and people always die. I think 3 Hardie boys and the mercs will always die. There's never a war. You always encounter the Phasmid, though without the right thoughts you can't communicate with it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help myself as a min maxer in RPGs, but I save scum if my chance to succeed is over 50-60%. I do let failure happen if it is like a 17% chance or so, sometimes to hilarious results. I'm also doing hardcore drugs and switching out gear to maximize success.

I got 3 of the armor pieces so far and no quest completed. Is there 1 or 2 more pieces to go? Is leg armor even attainable? I'm still rocking my moral pants.

Oct 25, 2017
Having read a bunch of impressions of the end game, I think it's fairly railroaded.
You always get into a firefight and people always die. I think 3 Hardie boys and the mercs will always die. There's never a war. You always encounter the Phasmid, though without the right thoughts you can't communicate with it.

Thanks, that makes sense but I'm slightly disappointed that
the war never happens--getting the harbour handed over the dock workers felt like it should have been big enough to actually change how things play out.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
18 hours in, I'm on the 3rd day now and I guess I'm halfway there in the main case progression. But there are still so much to do an uncover. I'm going to complete as many tasks as possible.

I don't want the game to end.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone unable to buy the boombox in the pawn shop? He told me the price and I have enough but the only options are to ask to play a tape for free and to exit.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so objects that highlight in green are standard interactive objects, and presumably objects that highlight yellow are ones I can interact with because I've passed a hidden Perception check. There are also objects that highlight in white that I can click on but can't actually do anything with. What are these? Do they become available later?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone unable to buy the boombox in the pawn shop? He told me the price and I have enough but the only options are to ask to play a tape for free and to exit.

You have to actually click the section of the shop where the boomboxes are sold.

Okay, so objects that highlight in green are standard interactive objects, and presumably objects that highlight yellow are ones I can interact with because I've passed a hidden Perception check. There are also objects that highlight in white that I can click on but can't actually do anything with. What are these? Do they become available later?

White are either locked behind a key, a quest, or an item (such as chaincutters or a pry bar).

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this is bad. I think I locked myself out of completing the negotiator sidequest because much earlier I passed up an opportunity to press Tommy about some topic.

Is this really the only way to complete it?

Did you also talk to the
vendor/driver who doesn't think of himself as a driver? He's way south by the drawbridge.

I never pushed Tommy past the breaking point on anything, so I wouldn't think you're locked out.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Did you also talk to the
vendor/driver who doesn't think of himself as a driver? He's way south by the drawbridge.

I never pushed Tommy past the breaking point on anything, so I wouldn't think you're locked out.

Yes,

I have talked to all four drivers about everything they have to talk about. There are no new dialogue options and I still can't get into the green lorry.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to actually click the section of the shop where the boomboxes are sold.

White are either locked behind a key, a quest, or an item (such as chaincutters or a pry bar).

The big stack of them above the pawn shop owner, right? I tried clicking that, it doesn't work. It just makes me ask if I can do it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.