• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2018
I really loved that whole daily summary thing but was really disappointed that you can't repeat it on subsequent nights unless I am missing something

not really. I don't think I ever pawned anything other than
the spinners Kim lets you sell for the first night

Collecting all the garbage gives you like $3
They're way more rare than that in the first areas, just gotta get creative finding it

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to ask - Is this a game you can get a lot out of through replayability? As I mentioned before, my plan was to play a massive piece of shit for my first playthough and then a good person for the second. But I'm hearing some stuff that's making me think maybe I should have gone good and tried to get the best ending on my first try. I'm just afraid of really ruining my experience somehow.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to ask - Is this a game you can get a lot out of through replayability? As I mentioned before, my plan was to play a massive piece of shit for my first playthough and then a good person for the second. But I'm hearing some stuff that's making me think maybe I should have gone good and tried to get the best ending on my first try. I'm just afraid of really ruining my experience somehow.

I played through it twice and will probably play through again. You'll be doing the same things over again but the details change quite a bit based on stats/rolls. So if you're into all the dialog/story it's still worth it imo. There are also a few side quests that can be missed entirely your first playthrough

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished my third playthrough, and itching to try more for a chance at those successful dice rolls. My steam time says around 90 hours (Actual time at the pc was a bit less than that though); but I think without using save-scumming, it could easily take hundreds of hours (100-150?) to experience every little thing and conversation in the game.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao of course the most important time I need to use MY LITERALLY BEST SKILLS is when I roll snake eyes and 3's.

This always happens to me when I roll dice.

Edit: Just beat the game, how do you get into the bunker? I never tried due to the insane difficulty.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I've put in 8 hours over the past 2 days and I'm completely hooked. Lost my shit when my cop shot-put a petanque boule into the ocean.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I just finished the game in 31 hours. Absolutely loved every second of it, even when it was slightly frustrating with the white checks. A work of art, and it's actually helped me get some closure with a real-life problem. Easy GOTY, this, and something I'll get back to again very soon. The ending was fantastic as well imo

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it tonight, couple of things I was bummed I didn't get to wrap up but ultimately I had to go with the flow of the narrative

Didn't: get my gun back
sing karaoke
make the most hardcore beat

Everything else I was pretty happy with. Surprised to see quite a number of people here dislike or be surprised by the ending. It was pretty clear to me how and when it was wrapping up.

Might be my GotY and I got the platinum in Sekiro.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Interested in this, but only have my potato laptop with a Intel HD 540. I see the min specs are HD 640; is the performance margin so thin that it will still run?

I know I can always refund, but if I can get confirmation, I'd appreciate it. I've heard great things about this and want to go in as blind as possible.

thanks in advance!

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it today, I believe this game could have some serious any% speedrun potential. The only gating mechanics can be bypassed by reading books, and the possibility of failing certain checks could make for some interesting situations.

Oct 27, 2017
Question for people who are pretty far through or have finished the game, is there a way to get your

gun back without doing all the runaround quests for the union boss?

Anyway nearly finished my first play through. What a game.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
My friend is sharing this with me through steam.

Performance seems crazy to me. I have it maxxed out but I'm getting like 45+ fps outside but 120+ inside of buildings. Is this normal? It's very jarring and when I use the inventory, look at skills or anything, it seems crazy slow.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So I managed to die within the first 15 minutes of the game after I had a heart attack jumping through the air flipping a guy off with both hands.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game, it really is magnificent. The ending is a little bit abrupt I thought.

I'll have to wait a long time before playing it again. And I think I'd have to play a totally different character, like a complete meathead or something.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
MW is insufferable, The Outer Worlds crashes constantly, so now I'm back on this. Started a new game. I'm kind of in the mood for reading a lot of text rather than roleplaying, so I cheated blatantly and gave myself a bunch of attribute points in the beginning. Maybe I'll do a 1-1-1-1 run someday as a sort of counterweight to this one.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty early in the game, reaching the end of my first day, and I have six skill points, none of which I have spent.

I'm not trying to min-max the game, but I'm also not sure how I should even be thinking about assigning new skills. Should I be emphasizing what I'm already good at? Covering for some of my lower checks? Something different?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still pretty early in the game, reaching the end of my first day, and I have six skill points, none of which I have spent.

I'm not trying to min-max the game, but I'm also not sure how I should even be thinking about assigning new skills. Should I be emphasizing what I'm already good at? Covering for some of my lower checks? Something different?
Ultimately it comes down to how you want to roleplay, just put points into skills that you want to come up more frequently and define your character. To do this you basically want them at 4 or higher. This will make them succeed passive Medium checks which come up frequently. Otherwise yeah, just beef up stuff you really want to emphasize. Aim for 8 or 9 for stuff you really want to make an impact. You'll get some diminishing returns after that, but you can also see some very rare, unique things with the skills using passive checks beyond that point. Or easily nail really big white/red checks. ...If none of that makes any sense right now then just go by my first sentence. You'll get a lot of skill points over the course of the game so don't sweat it too much.

I would always try to keep one skill point banked most of the time so they can help you out with a critical Red or White check that you really want to pass or even keep you from dying in a pinch.

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Would you call the writing in Disco Elysium "diegetic"? It's the word that's coming to mind for me, but I may be defining it wrong.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Sorry guys, picked this one up yesterday and put 4 solid hours in, walked away with mixed emotions, slept on it then ultimately decided to refund.

The writing is fantastic, I will certainly give it that, but the gameplay is as dull as you can imagine. It's not far off a point and click adventure, and most of the time rather than figuring stuff out like a detective, you're mostly just narrowing down dialogue choices until you get to the one or two that you need to progress, then a dice roll based on your stats will either succeed or fail. This is just about the only "action" you will see in this game.

This is more a personal thing, but I also found the general art style to be quite grating on the eyes. It is clearly an intentional art direction, but I feel it will be hit or miss for most people.

Overall the quality of the writing stands above most other games, but the gameplay can be very boring and slow when it wants to be. Definitely an acquired taste, this game.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely an acquired taste, this game.
Are you sure?

xkqtIkm.png

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the game is very much about the writing and the role-playing, and it's fair to say that if you're looking for something more than that in the gameplay you're probably going to have a hard time.

They gave it a fair shake. It's fine not to like things.
Oh, 100%. But I think "acquired taste" suggests that it's something you kind of have to work to like (drink it a bunch of times before it becomes pleasant), and that doesn't seem to be most people's experience.

Deleted member 58961

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I'm surprised there's a contingent so 'gameplay' focused that they find it lacking.

I only got round to trying it today (well, yesterday, started before midnight) because I'm a broke fuck, and albeit I'm definitely the artsy wanker type, I still came to it with ridiculously overinflated expectations and still found it blew them away. The voice acting isn't perfect, but the writing and world design feel like they set a new standard for these elements, and even just the skills you can learn feels so fresh after so many RPGs where everything is so practical, where maybe you only get one or two novelty skills like Black Widow in Fallout.

I guess it's fair if you only play games to let off steam and want something more action orientated, but I find it weird that anyone that cares about games enough to be posting here would walk away with a negative opinion after experiencing it. Maybe I make assumptions too far in 'enthusiasts' (don't make me say the 'G' word) having shared interests in ludology and gamedev.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
This is easily my GOTY, with Hypnospace Outlaw in close second. I have not stopped thinking about this game since I started playing it. It will definitely warrant at least one more playthrough.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if anyone can help I've got a question I asked awhile ago which I never got an answer to:

I've got two questions that I'd appreciate simple yes or no answers to (to avoid spoilers):
For RP purposes I've been avoiding accepting the free room the old lady offers to you around the fishing village. Is there any other way to get into that room without accepting her offer? Secondly, is it necessary to get in there to continue to progress the main story? I'm pursuing Ruby right now and it feels like I'm running out of options short of going in that shack. Thanks for the help!

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Question. I didn't know how healing works until I checked online when my character got a heart attack. I also didn't know that I can unlock slots in the thought catalog when I level up until later. Were those explained in the tutorial? Maybe I just missed it? Thanks.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, I'm currently at this point in Disco Elysium

I've just found Ruby and it's Day 5

How much of the main questline remains?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Man game is really something else.

I feel a bit bad at save-scumming, but failing a 97% check or so is just dumb.

Does internalizing thoughts change / offer new dialog or are they always unlocked? I need to know if that's necessary to become the superstar cop I'm destined to be.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Question. I didn't know how healing works until I checked online when my character got a heart attack. I also didn't know that I can unlock slots in the thought catalog when I level up until later. Were those explained in the tutorial? Maybe I just missed it? Thanks.

Is there even a tutorial because I must have missed it!

I learned to heal myself by myself. Just clicked on something next to my character profile, but above it .

Just noticed some people on this thread having avatars from this game.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, both are explained, IIRC. I guess you must have skipped the screens.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I just finished it. Best RPG made in the last 20 years. Absolutely a joy to play from beginning to end. And leaves more than enough possibilities for multiple replays to be totally different. The game is short enough to be practical for replays annually, the world building is deep enough to continue to appreciate over and over, and the satisfaction from true role playing is top tier. Amazing feat of game design and writing.

sur le web

Nov 8, 2017

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to wait for this to come to console but I think I might just get it on PC. Couple of questions:

-How long is it?
-Is there any DLC planned?
-Can we/when can we expect a sequel? Or is there anything else out like this?

It seems to be exactly what I want-- dialogue, choices, and playing a mystery game where you are (presumably) micro managing a bunch of information.

Can you get things "wrong" in this game? Is it open ended like that, or does it lead you to a narrative conclusion? Id love some game where I can actually get information wrong based on my detective work, which results in important consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.