• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to wait for this to come to console but I think I might just get it on PC. Couple of questions:

-How long is it?
-Is there any DLC planned?
-Can we/when can we expect a sequel? Or is there anything else out like this?

It seems to be exactly what I want-- dialogue, choices, and playing a mystery game where you are (presumably) micro managing a bunch of information.

Can you get things "wrong" in this game? Is it open ended like that, or does it lead you to a narrative conclusion? Id love some game where I can actually get information wrong based on my detective work, which results in important consequences.

- Partially depends on your reading speed. My playthrough took me about 28 hours.

- They have expressed an interest in developing DLC, but are not working on anything until the console releases are done.

- They have ideas for a sequel. The world is easily rich enough to support an entire ecosystem of games and novels.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
- Partially depends on your reading speed. My playthrough took me about 28 hours.

- They have expressed an interest in developing DLC, but are not working on anything until the console releases are done.

- They have ideas for a sequel. The world is easily rich enough to support an entire ecosystem of games and novels.
Thanks.

Are there other games like it though? I guess this is a tabletop game?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Is it possible before the ending sequences to
go to the island? Visual Calculus tells you that it's a viable spot, you get it added to your task list but I got the impression that it's always a post-tribunal thing so you can't drag the guy up to the tribunal and try to get a good outcome that way?

I ended up failing a lot of critical skill rolls in the Ruby and tribunal sequences despite having fairly high listed percentages. Especially Pain Threshold just failed me every. single. time. Really didn't like the reveal from The Deserter, felt like the investigation was kinda pointless with that guy just popping up at the last minute and revealing everything.

Personally I found Reaction Speed a fairly useful skill since it spots details in dialog lines, minor inconsistencies and such. Though I used the default INT-build, the Encyclopedia skill really didn't feel useful at all. Any time you try to get info out of it that's actually useful it just goes "no idea". Like that Innocences trivia book, Encyclopedia tries to help you with that but gets absolutely nothing right. It can tell you what company made the crane and its fate but fails on useful concepts like the Fade.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible before the ending sequences to
go to the island? Visual Calculus tells you that it's a viable spot, you get it added to your task list but I got the impression that it's always a post-tribunal thing so you can't drag the guy up to the tribunal and try to get a good outcome that way?

I ended up failing a lot of critical skill rolls in the Ruby and tribunal sequences despite having fairly high listed percentages. Especially Pain Threshold just failed me every. single. time. Really didn't like the reveal from The Deserter, felt like the investigation was kinda pointless with that guy just popping up at the last minute and revealing everything.

Personally I found Reaction Speed a fairly useful skill since it spots details in dialog lines, minor inconsistencies and such. Though I used the default INT-build, the Encyclopedia skill really didn't feel useful at all. Any time you try to get info out of it that's actually useful it just goes "no idea". Like that Innocences trivia book, Encyclopedia tries to help you with that but gets absolutely nothing right. It can tell you what company made the crane and its fate but fails on useful concepts like the Fade.
High Encyclopedia lets you hit constant passive checks that are super helpful for opening different conversational options or getting bonuses on active checks.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I am considering a physically challenged character: 1 in both physical stats. Has anyone tried this? Is it as insane as all the descriptions seem to suggest?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I am considering a physically challenged character: 1 in both physical stats. Has anyone tried this? Is it as insane as all the descriptions seem to suggest?
I mean, you get pretty bad FYS or MOT in the two default INT or PSY builds and they're viable. Just keep in mind that a lot of the checks for the skills in those categories aren't actual physical activity, e.g. Composure also lets you read the body language of other people and of course Perception shows you a lot of additional interactables (anything outlined in yellow). I think there's a lot of cash you can only find with high Perception.

High Encyclopedia lets you hit constant passive checks that are super helpful for opening different conversational options or getting bonuses on active checks.
Okay, most of the passive checks it gave me didn't seem particularly useful, just letting me point out the specific name of something which didn't feel like it made a big difference to the info I got out of people, didn't even notice the modifiers it gave.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine. Remember to add 1 point to endurance to get 2HP instead of one, so you're not 1-shot by the slightest physical challenge.
Like everything, you'll miss some stuff, but you'll also get access to more conversations with your other skills so it's perfectly doable.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you get pretty bad FYS or MOT in the two default INT or PSY builds and they're viable. Just keep in mind that a lot of the checks for the skills in those categories aren't actual physical activity, e.g. Composure also lets you read the body language of other people and of course Perception shows you a lot of additional interactables (anything outlined in yellow). I think there's a lot of cash you can only find with high Perception.

Okay, most of the passive checks it gave me didn't seem particularly useful, just letting me point out the specific name of something which didn't feel like it made a big difference to the info I got out of people, didn't even notice the modifiers it gave.

Yeah it is one of the sort-of-but-not-really-negatives of the way the skill system is set up: tons of nuance.

Like, I wanted to make a highly intuitive empath, but this requires some deep investment in pretty much all the lines. So I had to actually better define the sort of things my character would naturally intuit, and the sort of thing he could not.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the game with what I assume is the best ending I could have gotten. I'm glad I kept the main character on the straight and narrow with substance abuse! It's fince to finally have another modern cRPG to love sincee I've been unimpressed with most renassaince offerings.

A few notes, I was not a big fan of the Thought Tree's implementation, it felt oddly superfluous at times. There are some straight typos, which is natural in a game with such dense text though it was enough to be notable. The voice acting was really bad for the most part. I understand I was never going to get blockbuster talent in it, but the performances are really stale and it felt out-of-place, even for the dark at times nihilistic atmopshere.

Overall, I had a fantastic experience with it. It's humorous, thoughtful and dense while also being engaging. This is something I fail to see from various Obsidian offerings (especially in more recent RPGs) despite their greater penchant for punch-for-punch writing compared to your traditional high budget title.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
I wanted to wait for this to come to console but I think I might just get it on PC. Couple of questions:

-How long is it?
-Is there any DLC planned?
-Can we/when can we expect a sequel? Or is there anything else out like this?

It seems to be exactly what I want-- dialogue, choices, and playing a mystery game where you are (presumably) micro managing a bunch of information.

Can you get things "wrong" in this game? Is it open ended like that, or does it lead you to a narrative conclusion? Id love some game where I can actually get information wrong based on my detective work, which results in important consequences.

- I haven't finished yet but I heard about 30-40 hours without maxing
- Yes... expansion and a sequel are planned, no info other than that

IMO you can't really get anything "wrong" per se. You can die, although I have yet to have it happen to me. Sometimes, getting things wrong is actually a better outcome depending on how you want to play. Failing a check doesn't mean you necessarily lose out on something important. Sometimes the failures themselves are just as insightful, funny, or beneficial.

My advise, just play it and let it wash over you - save the min/maxing and save-scumming for subsequent playthroughs

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Disco Elysium will probably take most players in the 15-20 hour range on a first playthrough.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Should've been nominated for goty instead of Outer Worlds tbh.
I agree with you, but I don't think there wasn't much of a chance unfortunately. Limited audience on PC definitely hurts this game. That said, I do think it has a pretty good chance of winning Best Narrative and Best RPG.

I have to think that best indie game and fresh indie game are split between Goose Game and Outer Wilds.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, but I don't think there wasn't much of a chance unfortunately. Limited audience on PC definitely hurts this game. That said, I do think it has a pretty good chance of winning Best Narrative and Best RPG.

I have to think that best indie game and fresh indie game are split between Goose Game and Outer Wilds.
Yeah you're right of course, still a bummer.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The voice acting was really bad for the most part. I understand I was never going to get blockbuster talent in it, but the performances are really stale and it felt out-of-place, even for the dark at times nihilistic atmopshere.

I actually really liked the voice acting and thought they did a terrific job for what I'm assuming was quite a low budget. Not quite on the level of Naughty Dog or the like but certainly better than I was expecting. And I think the actors really suited the characters as well.

I'm playing through Outer Worlds right now and it's got nothing on Disco Elysium. I mean it's not a bad game but just doesn't really excel at anything? I don't know but I was equally as disappointed when I read that it wasn't part of the GOTY vote. Hopefully it wins in some of the other categories. Better not lose out to that silly goose thing.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well I just put in my votes for the game awards. Not sure how it's gonna go seeing as they're up against Outer Wilds and that damn goose thing. More people probably played those games so I feel they're in for a tough fight. Make sure y'all put in your votes!

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's been one week since I finished this game and I'm still thinking daily about it, what an adventure. It's been a while since we had a game which featured a solid system of c&c and had the writing to back it up. The themes covered by the game and the quality of the writing really elevate Disco Elysium to another level in the pantheon of video games for me. And yeah the game is freaking funny.

I recall so many great moments in the game but perhaps my favourite is the side-quest in the church with the researcher and my anodic dance posse. Such a great way to reveal one of the most important pieces of lore in the game.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. I liked Outer Worlds well enough, but I had to force myself to finish it at the end. And then, right at the end, I ran into a game breaking bug where my game would crash every time when I walked through a door. So that was the end of that.
Disco was way more engrossing.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The music's improved radically when I got past the waterlock. Before it a lot of it was pretty forgettable (the bookstore song being the exception - love that one), here in the western parts of the map I feel like every song has been amazing. I'm just sitting in the cabin the old woman lends you right now, listening to the beautifully melancholy music.

They can't release the soundtrack soon enough. Really, really hope it hits Spotify, too.

e: even the fucking "anodic music" song is amazing lol

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game earlier today and posted some thoughts in the RPG Community thread, might as well post them here, too:

Actually finished my first blitz game, Disco Elysium.

And what a game it was. Honestly, usually words just pop to my mind when I write closing thoughts and it's all smooth sailing, but with this one, it's.. not. DE's closer to incredibly smart literature, and I'm not equipped to write about that sort of stuff in any meaningful depth.

But I can throw praise at it, at least. Disco Elysium might be the best written game I've ever played. The thing about this game is that it seems to do pretty much everything incredibly well. The story is an intriguing, complex web of different characters, motivations, factions, events and causes and effects. The characters are distinct, fully realized, interesting, fun, sad, frustrating, lovable, hilarious, varied and sometimes, painfully believable. The world building is absolutely spectacular - the best I've come across. The dialogue, internal and external, is an absolute treat, and the sheer range of different conversations and most of all dialogue choices you'll be coming across in the game is immense. It's very well paced, and aside from maybe some Encyclopedia deep dives, it never feels dragged out.

And best of all, it all flows perfectly. There's SO MUCH variety here, and it always feels cohesive and solid and meaningful and part of the whole. The game can effortlessly go from tragic to hilarious to creepy to intriguing to heartwarming to philosophical to introspective to critical to thoughtful.. And anything in-between. All of this while utilizing one of the most unique RPG and narrative systems I've ever seen, the skills and thought cabinet, AND being one of the more reactive CRPGs I've seen. It's frankly just mindblowing to me that it works this fucking well.

Now, as far as being a GAME goes, it's solid, but there's a fair amount of room for improvement. There's a lot of QoL improvements they could implement - most of the frustration I felt stemmed from the painfully slow and lumbering movement of the main character and the way the camera is 100% locked on to him at all times. The skill system wasn't the most intuitive around either, and it was easy to find myself saving up skillpoints in case I ran across hard dialogue choices, or ones that I wanted to try multiple times. It also wasn't particularly clear to me what, if any, other effects the thought cabinet thoughts had after internalizing. I think some of them unlock completely new dialogue choices? It was never very obvious what and where.

But in short: GOTY, and one of the best CRPGs/narrative games I've ever played.

Oh, and I just fucking adore a lot of the soundtrack. I've had this song: https://youtu.be/hjUORWa-k-w?t=2935 (48:55) on loop for the past hour or so. But since there's no official OST release yet, I actually booted the game up again and ran to the shack where it plays.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This game is a motherfucking, shitkicking masterpiece. I just finished it; basically spent the entire day completely engrossed.

One thing does bother me, though. That guy in the Whirling that says, "It's all about money, you know" whenever you try to interact with him. He is, to my knowledge, the only interactive NPC in the game that doesn't have a dialogue tree. What the fuck is his deal? Do you need specific stats to talk to him? Is he a developer cameo? The fact that he's the only one I couldn't start a conversation with is messing with my mind.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, I feel like this has ruined narrative-heavy games for me for a while. Everything feels so boring and gray and lame and lacking in imagination and humanity after DE. I guess I'll stick to CoD: MW and next week's Halo Reach for my gaming needs for now.

Or start a complete insanity run, where I make the dumbest, craziest, most nonsensical choices whenever possible.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of the thoughts give you new dialog choices but some do give special bonuses on specific tests, like the "pull your shit together" thought

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
I still can't stop thinking about this game. I started playing Control, which on its own seems like a pretty great game, but I'm just longing for more DE. When I finish it I'm gonna go back and re-roll with opposite stats/styles of my first playthrough. Utterly perfect game

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.

So I went to the island with Cuno/Kuuno because Kitsuragi got shot during the tribunal for me. It was kind of an interesting way for things to play out in a passing of the torch sort of way (I was able to convince the task force that he should be brought on as a junior trainee) but not getting to have Kitsuragi around *at all* for the last few hours was a huge bummer.

Bricky

Oct 26, 2017
I'm stuck unable to decide at character creation. While I'd love to have an intellect focused playstyle it just seems like you'd miss out on so much fun and flavor unique skills like Inland Empire and Shivers add.

Does a focus on the latter actually prevent you from playing this as a more straightforward detective game? It sounds like they'd subtly (though confusingly) guide you instead of letting you piece together everything for yourself.

At the very least it seems like knowing all outcomes would be rather detrimental to the Sherlock experience on an eventual second playthrough. Going bonkers is always a good time.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm stuck unable to decide at character creation. While I'd love to have an intellect focused playstyle it just seems like you'd miss out on so much fun and flavor unique skills like Inland Empire and Shivers add.

Does a focus on the latter actually prevent you from playing this as a more straightforward detective game? It sounds like they'd subtly (though confusingly) guide you instead of letting you piece together everything for yourself.

At the very least it seems like knowing all outcomes would be rather detrimental to the Sherlock experience on an eventual second playthrough. Going bonkers is always a good time.

Let me just say that Intellect, while useful, is not the straight-laced know-everything skillset you might think it is. Psyche and Physique have their own areas of expertise that Intellect may be blind to. Psyche, for example, has a lot of skills needed to read people whereas Intellect's social skills are more self-centred and focused on how you present yourself to others.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Been playing this game for like 10 hours and I'm just blown away. What a fucking masterpiece. Jesus!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rolling a 3 / 5 / 2 / 2 character for my first go.

Would you suggest a signature skill to boost one of the Intellect skills to 4, or take one of the Psyche skills to 6?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm rolling a 3 / 5 / 2 / 2 character for my first go.

Would you suggest a signature skill to boost one of the Intellect skills to 4, or take one of the Psyche skills to 6?

Personally I find the extremes are interesting, so if it were me I'd boost up the Psyche skills. But boosting Intellect to 4 will give you a more consistent and reliable mental skillset.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I find the extremes are interesting, so if it were me I'd boost up the Psyche skills.
I chose to Drama as I saw it being able to bolster my Psych focus. If I get into this game I'll likely replay with high levels to see how they pan out... There's so much choice it's almost crippling, I've been agonizing over this for an hour now... I need to just play I think.

EDIT: no, I maxed out Inland Empire and now I'm done, lol, let's actually play...

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I chose to Drama as I saw it being able to bolster my Psych focus. If I get into this game I'll likely replay with high levels to see how they pan out...

There's so much choice it's almost crippling, I've been agonizing over this for an hour now... I need to just play I think.

I mean a Psyche level of 5 is nothing to sniff at in any case, and there is a degree of diminishing returns as you level them up higher and higher.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone explain how health and morale charges work? For example, I've got four points of morale and also the number 3 in the icon above it, and when I hover over it says "charges: 3". What does that mean? I expected this to maybe act like a buffer, but I still took damage.

Edit: I realized what it was right after I posted by clicking on them. Those are the number of health/morale recovery items I've got. I couldn't find them in my inventory after I had picked them up, so I assumed they were consumed upon pickup.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Could someone explain how health and morale charges work? For example, I've got four points of morale and also the number 3 in the icon above it, and when I hover over it says "charges: 3". What does that mean? I expected this to maybe act like a buffer, but I still took damage.

The charges are your healing items: Nosaphed for Health, Magnesium for Morale. If you click the button, it will use 1 charge and heal a bar of health/morale.

One thing the game doesn't outright tell you is that you can use these at any time, even as you're taking damage mid-conversation.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The charges are your healing items: Nosaphed for Health, Magnesium for Morale. If you click the button, it will use 1 charge and heal a bar of health/morale.

One thing the game doesn't outright tell you is that you can use these at any time, even as you're taking damage mid-conversation.

Oh, you can use them in conversations too? That's great to know. Thanks.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh, you can use them in conversations too? That's great to know. Thanks.

It's the only way to survive a "hit" if you've only got 1 of either health/morale, so it's mildly annoying that the game doesn't at least tell you about it. But maybe we're too used to games that don't let you use items during dialogues.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Those rare moments of incredible warmth amidst the general melancholy vibe really hit like a truck. Man, this game...

I really appreciate how understated most characters' personalities are. You get a good sense of who they are, but they're not caricatures unless it's specifically used to this effect. Even those that only have small part feel like there's more to them then what you see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.