• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Should've been nominated for goty instead of Outer Worlds tbh.

Yeah its a much better game. Sadly I have heard several critics unironically calling the writing in Disco Elysium bad/childish while at the same time praising the writing in Outer worlds....baffles the mind.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So, in terms of spending skill points...

Should I be levelling the skills I want to focus on as I obtain the points? Or should I be saving them to put into places I need as I progress (like, say, refreshing a specific white check)?

I've unlocked an extra thought slot, would you recommend unlocking these as soon as I gain new thoughts?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its a much better game. Sadly I have heard several critics unironically calling the writing in Disco Elysium bad/childish while at the same time praising the writing in Outer worlds....baffles the mind.

Very odd indeed. I can see preferring one style of game over the other, but saying this is badly written or even childish makes no sense to me.

Should I be levelling the skills I want to focus on as I obtain the points? Or should I be saving them to put into places I need as I progress (like, say, refreshing a specific white check)?

I've unlocked an extra thought slot, would you recommend unlocking these as soon as I gain new thoughts?

I've been putting some points into stats that often do passive checks, like perception and encyclopedia as well as the more common active ones like conceptualization and visual calculus (around 1/3). But I'm also saving up points to use on-demand like you described (about 2/3). As for thoughts, I've internalized every one I've found so far, but they all seemed fun or interesting. I think I'll pass if a radical one comes up in this run at least. In any case, they can be removed at the cost of one skill point.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017

I personally found almost every Thought to be useless in terms of practicality, but they are really hilarious. I ended up maybe internalizing 6-7 thoughts but by mid game I stopped all together to focus on skill points.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Very odd indeed. I can see preferring one style of game over the other, but saying this is badly written or even childish makes no sense to me.

Well they even claimed it allowed for you to be racist and was neutral about racism, so clearly anything slightly deeper than Pepper Pig would be flying over their heads...

I am not going to name names though. If people are consuming their stuff they would already have heard it :)
Its rare that I feel like yelling at my headphones but this was very close hehe.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I personally found almost every Thought to be useless in terms of practicality, but they are really hilarious. I ended up maybe internalizing 6-7 thoughts but by mid game I stopped all together to focus on skill points.

I've been putting some points into stats that often do passive checks, like perception and encyclopedia as well as the more common active ones like conceptualization and visual calculus (around 1/3). But I'm also saving up points to use on-demand like you described (about 2/3). As for thoughts, I've internalized every one I've found so far, but they all seemed fun or interesting. I think I'll pass if a radical one comes up in this run at least. In any case, they can be removed at the cost of one skill point.

Thanks, both of you. I've got a build I'm leaning into so I guess I'll carry on focusing on this and holding back a few skills points just in case a specific check needs them.

This game is so good... I already have other focused builds in mind that I can't wait to try.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh okay, thanks! I know other sites sell games that activate on Steam generally so that is mostly what I meant.
I was apprehensive about spending £30 on this... I generally wait for sales for most games.

This is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. If you're a CRPG fan, it's an absolute must play. Sale price is a steal.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game as demanding as the system requirements suggest?

I'm playing it on my main rig but I really wanna play it on my laptop. Laptop is running on a 960m, but this is an entirely dialogue-focused game with mostly 2D graphics.

Is anybody running this on low-spec machines?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Well they even claimed it allowed for you to be racist and was neutral about racism, so clearly anything slightly deeper than Pepper Pig would be flying over their heads...

I am not going to name names though. If people are consuming their stuff they would already have heard it :)
Its rare that I feel like yelling at my headphones but this was very close hehe.

I am not opposed to Disco Elysium being subject to criticism, and the part I've bolded is true, right? I would disagree that it's necessarily an endorsement of said ideologies, but I'm not about to dismiss any arguments against that opinion either.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does allow you to be racist, but it paints it in a very negative light. I don't think you can say the game is even trying to be "neutral" about racism. It engages starkly with the subject and stares into its ugly face. The game doesn't prevent you from choosing to align with it, but it's pretty clear it disapproves strongly of your actions.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It does allow you to be racist, but it paints it in a very negative light. I don't think you can say the game is even trying to be "neutral" about racism. It engages starkly with the subject and stares into its ugly face. The game doesn't prevent you from choosing to align with it, but it's pretty clear it disapproves strongly of your actions.
I agree. I realise Lyng's post mentions the game was neutral about racism, which I absolutely disagree with. I thought he was saying the game allows you to be racist/neutral towards racism, which is true.

Still don't think it's quite worth yelling about though, haha.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Is this game as demanding as the system requirements suggest?

I'm playing it on my main rig but I really wanna play it on my laptop. Laptop is running on a 960m, but this is an entirely dialogue-focused game with mostly 2D graphics.

Is anybody running this on low-spec machines?

I'm running it on a laptop that is lower spec than yours. I turned most of the settings down or off, but kept the resolution at 1080p. I'm sure it could look better, but I think that the art style does the majority of the work and it still looks good overall. My framerate doesn't hold super steady while I'm outside, but it's not terrible and has been solid while inside. So far, it doesn't seem like the frame dips would be gameplay relevant at all, though I am only about 2 hours in.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

How could anyone do Kim dirty like that anyway. My character would catch a bullet for that beautiful man.

I was howling from laughter at that meathead genetic superiority ultra racist. I don't know if it was meant that way, but the surreal absurdity of it was pure comedy. I'm sure there are people in the world that are off their rocker and subscribe to a similar line of thought, but I think they played it off in a way that really worked well and only serves to challenge actual believers.

I didn't end up having my character adopt that thought, but I am interested in seeing how it works out. Can't see Kim having your back anymore, considering how he told off the more underhanded/micro-aggression racist at the magazine stand.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't end up having my character adopt that thought, but I am interested in seeing how it works out. Can't see Kim having your back anymore, considering how he told off the more underhanded/micro-aggression racist at the magazine stand.
I did my best to play super-racist on my second playthrough, but eventually it became too difficult to withstand Kim's judgemental silence and I ended up shifting to
inexplicable feminist agenda and also stop drinking
, which was harder than I thought.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. Want to give it a bit of a think but overall I thought it was very good but with some fairly grating flaws. The big ones that jump out are the clunky movement and the lack of fast travel feeling like transparent padding, the actively annoying skill system (and related to that the poorly structured "roadblocks") and a very weak final act. Still one of the best games I've played this year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I need a little hint. I'm on day 4, looking for
Ruby, and the game is telling me the old Washerwoman is hiding something, and I should maybe try to get into her shack. She gave me the key to her shack, I didn't find anything in there. Idk if there's another shack, but I haven't found it. I have no more dialogue options to exhaust with her either. I've been carrying on doing other stuff, but nothing seems to be looping back around to finding Ruby. Is there anything obvious I'm missing in this step?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand thinking this game needs a fast travel system. It takes all of, what, three minutes to go from one side of the map to the other?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand thinking this game needs a fast travel system. It takes all of, what, three minutes to go from one side of the map to the other?

That would perhaps be ok if you didnt have to run back and forth between the same locations so often. If you enjoy wasting your time with artificial padding thats cool. I'm just not a fan of it. Three minutes to run back and forth from the Church to the Whirling several times is tedious as fuck. Just like its tedious as fuck to shuttle back and forth between Tidus and Kaljee (and the six loading screens that takes). Running back and forth doesnt add anything to the experience (and in my opinion actively harms it by killing narrative momentum). Its a clunky waste of time. Hopefully that explains why I think it should have fast travel and you can now understand why I think it should have it.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
That would perhaps be ok if you didnt have to run back and forth between the same locations so often. If you enjoy wasting your time with artificial padding thats cool. I'm just not a fan of it. Three minutes to run back and forth from the Church to the Whirling several times is tedious as fuck. Just like its tedious as fuck to shuttle back and forth between Tidus and Kaljee (and the six loading screens that takes). Running back and forth doesnt add anything to the experience (and in my opinion actively harms it by killing narrative momentum). Its a clunky waste of time. Hopefully that explains why I think it should have fast travel and you can now understand why I think it should have it.
Why did you have to run back and forth? I think I traveled between Church and Whirling all of three times across three days, and that was enough for a 'good' ending.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did you have to run back and forth? I think I traveled between Church and Whirling all of three times across three days, and that was enough for a 'good' ending.

Evidently you got through
the Feld sign "roadbloack" a lot quicker than I did
as I spent quite a bit of time running from the general Lands End/Church area back to the plaza area looking for side-quests to get bonuses. Whether that was dealing with the Church, or the Crypto's or what have you. The church run was also simply an example, there are plenty of others, such as the other one I mentioned, or really any of various long runs where you have to visit a location several times. In short, the movement system was clunky and awkward and quite often killed the narrative momentum for me. It felt like artificial padding. If you don't agree that's cool, I don't expect people to like or dislike the same things I do. But I assure you it negatively affected my experience with the game. I've now explained it twice so I have to imagine you can understand my position and we'll agree to disagree.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
The only issue I had with the movement was double-click to run. That was kind of obnoxious. Other than that I don't think they purposefully made you walk more to add filler or padding - there was SO much "content" in this game so I don't see why they would do that.

Either way, small complaints in an otherwise brilliant master class in RPG design.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I had with the movement was double-click to run. That was kind of obnoxious. Other than that I don't think they purposefully made you walk more to add filler or padding - there was SO much "content" in this game so I don't see why they would do that.

Either way, small complaints in an otherwise brilliant master class in RPG design.

I thought the game was a solid length, about fifteen hours, I don't know if I'd necessarily agree it was packed with content but I certainly found the content engaging and sufficient. But it certainly felt like the movement was padding (as was stuff like halting the main narrative behind a single skill check) . Or perhaps it was just an oversight, the game could really do with some options e.g. key remapping, making TAB a toggle, etc.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
I thought the game was a solid length, about fifteen hours, I don't know if I'd necessarily agree it was packed with content but I certainly found the content engaging and sufficient. But it certainly felt like the movement was padding (as was stuff like halting the main narrative behind a single skill check) . Or perhaps it was just an oversight, the game could really do with some options e.g. key remapping, making TAB a toggle, etc.

I spent about 25 hours on the campaign, and upon rerolling it seems they are not joking about there being literally a million words of dialog. I rolled totally different specs and there's so much stuff I'm reading for the first time.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Oh my. I must be really savoring this, because I spent about 12 hours only on day 1. And I didn't even exhaust all available dialog.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, my playthrough took much, much longer than fifteen hours too. I played at 2x speed (cheat engine speedhack) all the time because of the slow movement and still clocked 30+ hours or something.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent about 25 hours on the campaign, and upon rerolling it seems they are not joking about there being literally a million words of dialog. I rolled totally different specs and there's so much stuff I'm reading for the first time.

I finished my first playthrough last week and it took around fifteen to sixteen hours (or maybe it took me longer and I miscounted). I did a second playthrough (which I finished a day or two ago) with a different build, and guides to make sure I didnt miss anything. I honestly didnt find a different skill build to make much of a difference, my first run I got a lot of mileage out of Inland Empire as my speciality but Visual Calculus didnt add a lot to my second playthrough. The second playthrough took a bit over twenty hours so I can certainly see a more robust initial playthrough taking twenty five hours. I've seen a few people say it took them 30 to 40 hours and I just dont see how. Perhaps they read a lot slower? (Also during long sessions I would just read the dialogue as opposed to waiting for the VA which probably sped things up)

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I think I need a little hint. I'm on day 4, looking for
Ruby, and the game is telling me the old Washerwoman is hiding something, and I should maybe try to get into her shack. She gave me the key to her shack, I didn't find anything in there. Idk if there's another shack, but I haven't found it. I have no more dialogue options to exhaust with her either. I've been carrying on doing other stuff, but nothing seems to be looping back around to finding Ruby. Is there anything obvious I'm missing in this step?

Check the floorboards. If you can't, your perception might not be high enough.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I bought this game on release and wasn't in the right mood/headset and dropped it immediately again.

Now I am and damn, this is incredible. The layers and mechanics in conversations are amazing and the writing itself feels unreal it's that good. I feel like this game moves the medium forward like nothing has in probably decades. Sadly I also know that we probably won't ever see a game like this ever again.
And I am only like 4 hours in and still in the very first area basically on the first "screen".

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll see at least a few Disco Elyisum clones. But the dialogue is so well written in this it's going to be hard to match that. I suppose they could focus on other elements, make it more "gamey", or focus more on narrative rather than character, etc. There are ways to make a game inspired by DE feel distinct but something trying to ape it more closely has a high bar to get over.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Can I run this game with a gtx 960M? I know its below the requirements but I'm not looking for a 60 fps experience here. I just wanna play the game.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I think we'll see at least a few Disco Elyisum clones. But the dialogue is so well written in this it's going to be hard to match that. I suppose they could focus on other elements, make it more "gamey", or focus more on narrative rather than character, etc. There are ways to make a game inspired by DE feel distinct but something trying to ape it more closely has a high bar to get over.
The aspect of DE that devs should try and copy is having your skills and attributes talk with distinct personalities, influencing your inner psyche and the conversation paths available. That's a golden idea that deserves to be explored further by other creatives and wouldn't require building a DE clone to work.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The aspect of DE that devs should try and copy is having your skills and attributes talk with distinct personalities, influencing your inner psyche and the conversation paths available. That's a golden idea that deserves to be explored further by other creatives and wouldn't require building a DE clone to work.
Well maybe not exactly the same system but at least something more interesting than the typical willpower, constitution, strength, dexterity stats you see.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the best structural idea is to not have a separate combat engine. Many RPGs are let down by that.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I decided to look too deep inside a dead mans mouth and I had a heart attack and died. Granted it is hilarious, but I was not expecting that harsh of a punishment and lost like 30 min minimum of progress and just feel demoralized enough to not want to play. Help me summon the desire with maybe some early game advice to help with my efficiency maybe?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to look too deep inside a dead mans mouth and I had a heart attack and died. Granted it is hilarious, but I was not expecting that harsh of a punishment and lost like 30 min minimum of progress and just feel demoralized enough to not want to play. Help me summon the desire with maybe some early game advice to help with my efficiency maybe?

Keep your health and morale at 2 points minimum to avoid dying from unexpected damage. Raise total health through endurance or morale through volition if you only have 1 point of either. Clicking on those red or blue buttons above health/morale will restore them. You can also do this mid-conversation.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I initially died three times before making it out of the first building. Quicksave is your friend as I learned after that.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So this game just won every category it was nominated for at the game awards xD

ALL eyes will be on ZA/UM's next game.

Last edited:

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really glad this won all those awards.

It's kind of a shame there is no thread in gaming about it.

On my second playthrough of the game now, and MAN it's really cool seeing all the different stuff with a different build, especially the passive checks.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
So this game just won every category it was nominated for at the game xD

ALL eyes will be on ZA/UM's next game.

I believe it won the most awards out of all the games. I still feel like it was a massive oversight that it wasn't nominated for best game, but at least it was sort of made up for by them winning for what it was nominated for. It had some massive competition in all 4 categories too.

Disco Elysium wins big at The Game Awards

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to Disco Elysium! (Best Narrative, Best RPG, Fresh Indie Game, Best Indie Game at VGAs 2019)

It was an awesome surprise this year and one of the few titles from the cRPG renaissance to live up. Much thanks to the developers!

Status
Not open for further replies.