• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So that youtuber/streamer Joseph Anderson just said on Twitch that he thinks it's inconsistent of the game to say words like "fuck" and "shit" but censor homophobic slurs (and his chat implied that he should be able to say the n-word as well if in context). He will continue the stream by actually saying the f***** word when the game censors it.

I don't know what to feel about that, aside from wanting to not support his channel anymore. I feel like censoring the words but having the characters saying them is a great way of actually showing who the characters are in a real world context. It's a great point.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Fuck and shit are "value neutral" swear words. They really aren't comparable to homophobic slurs. The way the game handles it is good, as you say you know the character is the kind of person who would say X but you don't have to propagate the slurs. For a clearly adult story I don't mind if racial and homophobic slurs are uncensored, after all that is they way some people talk. But I can't see any reason to object to them being censored. You don't really "lose" much.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So that youtuber/streamer Joseph Anderson just said on Twitch that he thinks it's inconsistent of the game to say words like "fuck" and "shit" but censor homophobic slurs (and his chat implied that he should be able to say the n-word as well if in context). He will continue the stream by actually saying the f***** word when the game censors it.

I don't know what to feel about that, aside from wanting to not support his channel anymore. I feel like censoring the words but having the characters saying them is a great way of actually showing who the characters are in a real world context. It's a great point.
I really hate this argument. I thought censoring it was cool because it adds just the tiniest buffer between the fictional and real worlds. I thought it was a really interesting creative choice. It was clearly a choice, and something that had a lot of thought put into it.

Continuing to say the word whenever the game doesn't is some real edgy humor too. Not a fan at all. Thanks for the info.

benj

Oct 27, 2017

You know, when I first saw Joseph Anderson's stuff a couple years ago—around when his Darkest Dungeon video went up, I think—I was pretty into the granularity and focus he brought to his critiques of games, even though I didn't always agree with what he was saying. Since then, though, it seems like his success has emboldened him to gradually turn up the knob on all the worst aspects of his work, while totally losing the valuable stuff he did in the weeds.

Everything he's made in the last year or two has been, frankly, tragic—these hours-long grocery lists of bugs he encountered in the game and quibbles that arose during play, usually situated as being an overwhelming and unnecessary amount of evidence for some point that really isn't germane to a game's quality or success. It feels like he's absolutely lost the forest for the trees; specifically, it increasingly feels like he's incapable of differentiating from "means by which a game tries to lead players into playing it a certain way" from "arbitrary and capricious punishment that the game visits on players." It's not even that he can't differentiate between intentionality and accident, it's that he can't tell what intentionality is doing in the context of the game's he's critiquing. It's like YouTube Film Critics whinging about "plot holes", but for game design.

All this to say that him identifying DE's censoring pejorative & bigoted slurs as "inconsistency", as being somehow hypocritical, is ridiculously on-the-nose. A perfect little synecdochic example of him failing to differentiate between two different things, then finding some flaw in others' successfully parsing the difference out (or concretizing it in a gameplay context).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I've screwed myself over and gotten stuck.

My authority is too low to progress with Titus, my physical instrument is way too low to open the ice cream machine to progress the nightclub quest even with the special tool, and I can't progress the petition quest for the union boss. I don't have any options with Joyce and I don't think there's anything that will get me enough experience to level up any of my skills that I need to even get the chance to attempt most of these skill tests. I can't get the key for the hostel's secret door because I don't get the skill check for the window anymore. I think I've completed all the side quests (cryptozoologist, library card, etc.) My only hope at this point is if I wait a couple days and let the ice cream machine defrost, but it's already been unplugged for several days...

It's a shame, I was enjoying the game a lot but it's ground to a halt and looking at walkthroughs it seems like I'm completely screwed.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stack your clothes if you can to give you a slightly better chance and then save scum through one of the checks. Even if stacking gear wont improve your chances there is a base chance of rolling double six (or load an earlier save and rejig things if thats possible?)

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Why can't I get into my room even though I have the key? 😅 Seems dumb that I have to do the 'quest' with the manager to get in.. or maybe there are several locks on the door, one that can only be locked by the manager's key? Is that a thing?

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Why can't I get into my room even though I have the key? 😅 Seems dumb that I have to do the 'quest' with the manager to get in.. or maybe there are several locks on the door, one that can only be locked by the manager's key? Is that a thing?
Pretty sure they had to have the door replaced.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, it was actually explained like 5 minutes after I posted hehe, he had an electronic lock or something on it. 😆

I'm finally starting to really enjoy this game. First day done and I can officially say I think it's pretty damn great. Turning off the voice-overs helped a lot for me.

And it just took a while for me to gel with the writing style. The voice of the Writer is pretty overpowering at times, but the characters started opening up. I kinda wished there were more options except talking. I felt closed in and hampered in my style until I started talking and reading more attentively.

Looking forward to continuing tomorrow ☺

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I think the writing opens up more and more as you go along. I've loved the game so far (closing in on the end of the second day now............ based on my wallet looks like I'm not gonna be able to afford my room though), but the game really clicks into place as a huge THING when you have the conversation with Joyce about the nature of reality and the world. There's so so so much world building and ruminating and it really started to blow me away.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I just punched a 12 year old
I tried to punch a 12-year old but whiffed and almost died
I whiffed and died there
Hell I died after turning on the lights on my fan
I even died trying to talk to the union boss.

I'm on my 5th character and I just can't stay alive worth a shit.

But it's a blast, having restarted the game like 5-6 times now I'm discovering more and more what to do and what not to do (like never talk to that union boss because his chair is instant death)

After leaving the hostel I immediately learn to be a racist from the bouncer at the gate before doing anything else so by the time I'm done talking to everyone else that's powered up and I can get through the door. (But then that door locks and I can't get back out, anyway to unequip the racist dialouge tree once it does what I need?)

I know it's easier to get through the side gate but even with higher perception (70+ chance) I keep failing the check and leveling up takes awhile.

Any beginner tips, especially for that union boss?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I whiffed and died there
Hell I died after turning on the lights on my fan
I even died trying to talk to the union boss.

I'm on my 5th character and I just can't stay alive worth a shit.

But it's a blast, having restarted the game like 5-6 times now I'm discovering more and more what to do and what not to do (like never talk to that union boss because his chair is instant death)

After leaving the hostel I immediately learn to be a racist from the bouncer at the gate before doing anything else so by the time I'm done talking to everyone else that's powered up and I can get through the door. (But then that door locks and I can't get back out, anyway to unequip the racist dialouge tree once it does what I need?)

I know it's easier to get through the side gate but even with higher perception (70+ chance) I keep failing the check and leveling up takes awhile.

Any beginner tips, especially for that union boss?

buy some meds at Frittte and learn to heal. Click the Red Cross icon to stabilize, if you have meds available. Ditto for certain drugs and morale damage. You can get through a low endurance playthrough with enough painkillers.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
buy some meds at Frittte and learn to heal. Click the Red Cross icon to stabilize, if you have meds available. Ditto for certain drugs and morale damage. You can get through a low endurance playthrough with enough painkillers.
I woke up this morning to try again, clicking the health worked!!! What a relief

The most amazing thing, after so many failed attempts with the morality check (chance of success I think was actually below 10%) I actually passed it! I think that was the greatest feeling of the whole game so far 😂

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Finally had time to get back into this game and it feels so, so good. I'm on day 2, batting about .400 with 80% or higher checks, yet I have succeeded at TWO 3% checks. (Most recently to talk my way into the locked cargo container.)

This game really captures the feel of tabletop roleplaying games and failing at basic tasks all day, then trying some really dumb shit and rolling a nat 20. (Or double 6's in this case, even more difficult to do!)

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I've screwed myself over and gotten stuck.

My authority is too low to progress with Titus, my physical instrument is way too low to open the ice cream machine to progress the nightclub quest even with the special tool, and I can't progress the petition quest for the union boss. I don't have any options with Joyce and I don't think there's anything that will get me enough experience to level up any of my skills that I need to even get the chance to attempt most of these skill tests. I can't get the key for the hostel's secret door because I don't get the skill check for the window anymore. I think I've completed all the side quests (cryptozoologist, library card, etc.) My only hope at this point is if I wait a couple days and let the ice cream machine defrost, but it's already been unplugged for several days...

It's a shame, I was enjoying the game a lot but it's ground to a halt and looking at walkthroughs it seems like I'm completely screwed.

Most of these are side quests but
The freezer definitely gets easier if you wait
You don't need authority to progress with Titus -- IIRC you can go to the boss
Petition has a few ways to solve
Weird about the window, but you're not missing much

If you're really stuck just save scum but I doubt you actually can't advance

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished this.

I'm already confident in saying it's one of my favourite games ever. I don't even care if I look up some alternate scenes or replay it in the future and it turns out not to be as robust in its reactivity as it first appears, the experience of this first playthrough was so joyous that I don't think anything can dampen how favourably I view it. It had me belly laughing regularly throughout my 50 hour playthrough but there's so much else to love too; strong writing, memorable characters, the 24 companions in the form of your clashing personalities (probably the most interesting method of character creation I've seen) and the haunting soundtrack. I loved it.

The Insulindian Phasmid reveal and following conversation is genuinely one of the most touching moments I've played in a game.

I already miss Harry and Kim.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this.

I'm already confident in saying it's one of my favourite games ever. I don't even care if I look up some alternate scenes or replay it in the future and it turns out not to be as robust in its reactivity as it first appears, the experience of this first playthrough was so joyous that I don't think anything can dampen how favourably I view it. It had me belly laughing regularly throughout my 50 hour playthrough but there's so much else to love too; strong writing, memorable characters, the 24 companions in the form of your clashing personalities (probably the most interesting method of character creation I've seen) and the haunting soundtrack. I loved it.

The Insulindian Phasmid reveal and following conversation is genuinely one of the most touching moments I've played in a game.

I already miss Harry and Kim.

It's a real masterpiece, and there are whole pieces of it I haven't even touched yet. Cannot wait to do another playthrough.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well. I think I almost cried listening to that.
The music of the game didn't leave a strong impression on me except for a couple of track, but listening to it again, it's hauntingly beautiful.
(Though it doesn't have the karaoke songs, which is probably for the best because it would have broken me for good).

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Well. I think I almost cried listening to that.
The music of the game didn't leave a strong impression on me except for a couple of track, but listening to it again, it's hauntingly beautiful.
(Though it doesn't have the karaoke songs, which is probably for the best because it would have broken me for good).

Is the artbook in question likely to be the one they print physically? Is it any good?

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything to do main story wise on day 2? Im looking up things and it all points to wait till day 3. Im doing a full communism playthrough btw

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Without getting into spoilers I've had tons of main story stuff happen on Day 1 and Day 2, there isn't enough time to fit it all in.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an "art booklet" of 30 pages. It's more studies for the places, some fantastic paintings and sketches of the characters and the location, but it doesn't have the skill icons for example.
It also has 3 wallpapers in 4k, two with paintings, one with the thought cabinet illustration.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an "art booklet" of 30 pages. It's more studies for the places, some fantastic paintings and sketches of the characters and the location, but it doesn't have the skill icons for example.
It also has 3 wallpapers in 4k, two with paintings, one with the thought cabinet illustration.

aaaaaa I love the skill icons.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
im honestly just stuck. I dont know where to forge evarts signarutres
you don't need to do that! you aren't stuck—just try different angles and approaches to the problems in front of you! this game is enormously receptive to players carving their own path and creating their own stories, and i think you'd do yourself a real disservice by following someone else's path

Oct 25, 2017
you don't need to do that! you aren't stuck—just try different angles and approaches to the problems in front of you! this game is enormously receptive to players carving their own path and creating their own stories, and i think you'd do yourself a real disservice by following someone else's path
The game is telling me to do two things

Forge signatures or get them legit

I dont wanna get them legit cause evart can eat my dick I want my gun back :)

Finalow

Oct 28, 2017
honestly, I'm almost shocked.

didn't know this game existed until yesterday, still have no idea who developed it (ZA/UM who) besides knowing that one guy is a (relatively) young Estonian novelist, and yet it's a freaking brilliant game and possibly the best crpg / most well-written game since Planescape.

w0t the fuk indeed

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Just finished the game. WOW, this came out of nowhere. Can't remember how much I've enjoyed the writing in a game, definitely been awhile.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just started this, the writing is leagues ahead of anything else I've played this year. Do you have to complete every objective in your journal to beat the game btw? And is there a lot of aimless wandering around or does it keep you on track?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just started this, the writing is leagues ahead of anything else I've played this year. Do you have to complete every objective in your journal to beat the game btw? And is there a lot of aimless wandering around or does it keep you on track?
Don't need to complete almost any of them. There is a lot of wandering around unless you know where to go.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is a lot of wandering, but the quest journal should help you keep your aims in mind. And no, you do not have to complete all the objectives. Failing to accomplish several items has been a secondary motivator in my wanting to do another playthrough.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished, amazing game with great writing and hilarious to boot.

It gets rougher around the edges and feels a bit rushed towards the end, from major things like a certain skill check to the tiniest of things like more spelling errors.
Seems they were running out of time.

Can't wait to see more from them though, deserves all the praise.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
has anyone messed around with cheatengine, i'm sure i remember some people on here doing so.
is there anyway to get the stat (phys, motor etc) increases to stick or is there a hard cap of 12 that you can't get past?

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Okay, I need some help here.

How do I resolve the standoff on day 4 without bloodshed.

I do not have my gun.

I did not arrest Klaasje.

Status
Not open for further replies.