• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah.

But I think it's also important to note that the game isn't as flatly "goofy" or flippant or cynical as some previews seemed to indicate. Maybe it's just the character I've built (lots of Psyche, Inland Empire), but it's ... tender. It feels kinda hurt and vulnerable, and it has a lot of human sympathy even for the shittier characters I've met so far.
There's definitely a wounded humanity underneath the absurdness. It feels like a really well-rendered black comedy in that respect, and I hope it's willing to go deep into more emotional territory later on. It's really nice playing a "wacky comedy" game that's actually surprising and funny, not just a bunch of memes and shouting.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's 9:36 on Day 2 and the game is STILL humoring my inclination to call myself Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau

Let's see how long this ride will last :)

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Can you actually sell items? They show a price when I hover my mouse over them I havent found a way to sell them to a shopkeeper.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Currently rolling 5/2/1/4 with Conceptualization. I think that's a decent approximation of my real self. It'd probably be a bit more accurate to go 5/3/1/3 but I felt like I wanted one stat at 4. I I've died a lot so far. This game is sick.

It also runs terribly on my computer. I feel like I'm trying to play Mario 64 on a toaster. I should really go buy a graphics card.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
2 hours in, I couldn't save. Lost all my progress :(

Apparently, there is a bug that doesn't let you save sometimes. On Windows the game has to be 'Run as Administrator', that seems to fix the problem.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aw shit, just starting out. This starting build seem flexible for someone who's very strong and quick, with an emphasis on perception over intellect in investigations?:

4c03aed3043596408ae4fca5e3b4b77b.png

My signature is Perception.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I aimed my partner's gun at the girl after I first had convinced him to shoot down the body (he missed) and then to let me have a shot at it. I was too afraid to actually fire the gun at the body / belt though and just gave it back like an idiot. Then I kept on rambling about the end of the world.
I actually shot him down. Don't remember what exactly the check was, but I started with 5 motorics.

Also I'm RP'ing a commie-cop, but if certain capitalists want to continue to give me money I won't be too upset lol

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking of either Columbo or a Cumberbatch'esque Sherlock. The latter seems like maybe a 5, 4, 1, 2? Actually, emotionally intelligent doesn't really sound like good ol Sherlock. Maybe 5,2,1,4. Guess that would work for either of them. Already defeated by the character creation, every time.
I'm going with 5 2 1 4 for my Columbo character. Being terrible in Physical should be interesting.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I just did the realest-ass police work.

Massive spoiler (day 1 crime scene):
Pulled the damn bullet out of the dude's brain right as the sun set.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
shit I wanna play this. no controller support sucks cos my pc is hooked up to a tv.

how good is VMware running games on a Mac?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I know I commented on the sound design before from an early video, but being in-game...wow. So many ambient touches, like the light turning of pages when you're in the journal screen, the clicking (jiggling of dice?) when you're in the character sheet. It's a feast for the ears.
Aw shit, just starting out. This starting build seem flexible for someone who's very strong and quick, with an emphasis on perception over intellect in investigations?:

4c03aed3043596408ae4fca5e3b4b77b.png

My signature is Perception.
This is what I ended up going with except signature skill is Empathy. I wouldn't say 3 in Motorics makes you very quick though, 3 is "Average". Maybe think about 2-2-4-4, or just focus points into reaction speed or savoir faire later.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Just wondering what your specs are?

hey, sorry for the wait. hope its not too late!

its a Toshiba Satellite, bought it in 2015.
Intel Core i5 5200U / 2.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, integrated GC (Intel HD Graphics 5500). everything else can be found here.

to give you a comparison, it can play Banner Saga 3 pretty dang well, with minimal chug during larger battles or set pieces later on, while Disco Elysium plays like its 1995 and im playing [insert hot new game here] on my Gateway desktop. unfortunate!

i still havent decided what im going to do. i could really use the money if i cant run it well, but i dont want to take a sale away from ZA/UM. my fiancee's laptop might run it a little better, but we'll see.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, at first I thought this was just a funny conversation:

e0d2aa01f1c745d438c5110705749443.png

NOPE IT'S A THING

WRaGgy.jpg

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hey, sorry for the wait. hope its not too late!

its a Toshiba Satellite, bought it in 2015.
Intel Core i5 5200U / 2.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, integrated GC (Intel HD Graphics 5500). everything else can be found here.

to give you a comparison, it can play Banner Saga 3 pretty dang well, with minimal chug during larger battles or set pieces later on, while Disco Elysium plays like its 1995 and im playing [insert hot new game here] on my Gateway desktop. unfortunate!

i still havent decided what im going to do. i could really use the money if i cant run it well, but i dont want to take a sale away from ZA/UM. my fiancee's laptop might run it a little better, but we'll see.

Ah thanks - that is on the older side but still surprising since the game doesn't look too graphically intensive. Not too late though -I bought it anyway! Game looks really special. It's just that I have a desktop and a laptop but I'd rather play in bed, on the couch, wheever than strictly at my desk. Laptop has an MX150 GPU which isn't anything too muscly but hopefully enough to run it!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love that the Thought Cabinet describes these inane and ridiculous thoughts like you're an absolute genius for thinking of them.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Also should I just internalize all thoughts that I happen to have (like the first one you get "guillaume") or are you supposes to be picky with them?

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Pick the ones you want your character to pursue. Do everything for roleplaying reasons. Everything.
Thats what I figured thanks.

Did anyone else get a weird feeling about the two racists in the first area? I honestly felt kinda disturbed by them. Especially about the big dude with the chicks. Talking to him was literally like reading /pol.. and you can actually internalize that ingame..?

Edit. Has anyone found any of the Chapo dudes in the game so far?

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Radioing in to the department after I've lost my badge and gun was fucking hilarious.

kkJFBUz.png

Then their utter disbelief as I requested some financial aid afterwards 😂

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Making my character now! Does it make sense to make your signature skill come from your SECOND highest attribute? The skill descriptions keep warning you about leveling them up too high, so maybe I'd rather have 5 in my highest attribute, 3 in my second, and the signature skill bumps the cap to 4. Instead of say, 5+1 and then 3.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, already had a Columbo type moment with the first NPC (lady smoking a cigarette) and did a "Oh wait, just one more thing..." as she was about to leave.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eeesh laptop performance is disastrouss.... on an MX150, even at 1366 x 768 and all low settings it runs at like 20 FPS, while my laptop sounds like it's going to lift off.

To my desk I go....

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Eeesh laptop performance is disastrouss.... on an MX150, even at 1366 x 768 and all low settings it runs at like 20 FPS, while my laptop sounds like it's going to lift off.

To my desk I go....
Oof guess I'm waiting for an upgrade

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Thats what I figured thanks.

Did anyone else get a weird feeling about the two racists in the first area? I honestly felt kinda disturbed by them. Especially about the big dude with the chicks. Talking to him was literally like reading /pol.. and you can actually internalize that ingame..?
the big dude's 'theories' are really quite ridiculous if you let him carry on. you can internalise that logic but there's no way the game gives it any real-world weight.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does the thought thing work with "researching". It looks like you can research multiple at once, is there any penalty to researching them or multiple at a time?

Is the portrait you can get at the mirror permanent? The interaction makes it seems like it might be or just a joke about how ugly you are.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, if I jumped off the roof to the shipyard, is there a way out that doesn't involve talking to the guy with the chair and losing all my morale? I seem to be stuck.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017

To my desk I go....

lol yup sounds about right. sorry it didnt work on your laptop, but at least you have the tower to hit up!

im gonna try my fiancees more recent laptop later, and if it doesnt work, well... maybe its time i treat myself to a gaming PC. i did want to jump back into FFXIV anyway...

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
How does the thought thing work with "researching". It looks like you can research multiple at once, is there any penalty to researching them or multiple at a time?

Is the portrait you can get at the mirror permanent? The interaction makes it seems like it might be or just a joke about how ugly you are.
you can research multiple, but keep in mind you only start with three 'research slots'. you use a skill point to unlock more. once something's researched you can keep it or drop it immediately, if you want to free a space up after it's kept, that costs a point as well.

i think the portrait is permanent. you're a fugly mug.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you can research multiple, but keep in mind you only start with three 'research slots'. you use a skill point to unlock more. once something's researched you can keep it or drop it immediately, if you want to free a space up after it's kept, that costs a point as well.

i think the portrait is permanent. you're a fugly mug.

Yeah, I just though I remembered seeing different portaits but looking at more footage and screenshots, it looks like it's just the one (and one version that looks similar that is probably just an older build).

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely some wonderful writing in here, and also quite a number of typos. Can't catch em all, I guess!

Loving the game.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Oh btw I wasnt in insuating that the devs are somehow "pro" this kind of thing.
No they're actually super left. From what I've seen and read about this game, there's a little bit for everyone. And I wouldn't be surprised if you decide to role play as a racist shit bag the game will make you pay it somehow. Same with being ultra feminist or commie

Status
Not open for further replies.