• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Qh5PUdE.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Mac, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch, Stadia
Release Date:
PC: October 15th, 2019​
Mac: April 27th, 2020​
PlayStation: March 2021​
Xbox/Switch/Stadia: Summer 2021​
Genre: CRPG
Price: 39.99 USD / 39.99 EUR / 34.99 GBP
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer/Publisher: ZA/UM
Size: 11GB

generalfaq5tkez.png

What is Disco Elysium?
Disco Elysium is a Computer Role Playing Game where you play as a detective with free reign to go about your tasks. You control your detective from an isometric perspective as they try to piece themselves back together after waking in a destroyed hotel room with nothing but discarded bottles, clothing and an amnesia causing headache.

How do I build my character?
You start off the game picking from one of three archetypes, each with their own strengths in the 4 main stats: Intellect, Psyche, Physique and Motorics. You can also create your own character by putting points into the 4 categories and adding a Signature Skill (the skill that will get a +1 bonus and raise the cap on).

"Voices In My Head"? How do skills work?
Those 4 stats above have 6 skills each, which manifest in the game as different personas that you can interact with in conversations. Listening to these voices and following through on the actions they suggest will change game elements like interactions with NPCs, quests and the tone of the narrative. Putting points into the skills will also impact the success and options of those actions.

How do I grow my skills?
The stats you choose at the start of the game will set the base value of the 6 skills within and how far they are able to grow during your game, but those limits can also be raised by completing specific "Thoughts".

"Thoughts"?
These act as your perks, things that will impact the actions you can take and offer skill bonuses and penalties. Once you get a Thought it won't manifest until in-game time has passed and you have internalised it; only then can you understand the Thought's impact on your character and equip or discard it from your limited pool of Thoughts, the Thought Cabinet.

That's a lot to take in. Are there any resources to help with building a character?

Any general starting guides?
www.pcgamer.com

Things I wish I knew before playing Disco Elysium

Tips to get the most out of this superb new detective RPG.

Is there combat in Disco Elysium?
There is… in a way. It's all handled via dialogue and actions based on your stats and rolls. There is no real "combat phase" to the game like you'd see in the majority of other CRPGs.

No combat? Can I die then?
Yes. You have a health and moral meter; if those empty out it's game over. Both can be refilled through in-game actions.

Is the game voiced?
The game has partial voice work, it's not fully voiced.

Can I change the look of my character?
You can change your outfits and other cosmetic elements but the base character model is the same for all players.

Where does the game take place?
"...in the early fifties of a world very different to our own"

Wasn't this called No Truce with the Furies?
It was but the name changed to Disco Elysium a while back.

Is the game coming to other platforms?
Yes, the enhanced Disco Elysium: The Final Cut is coming to PlayStation, Xbox, Switch and Stadia as well as the original platforms for Disco Elysium.

How long is the game?
The developers point to a range of 30 (rushing) to 90 (savoring every detail) hours so it will depend on your personal playstyle.

Can I play with a controller?
No.

Can I save whenever?
Yes.

Is there 21:9 support?
Yes.

Mac and Linux support?
Coming later but no specific date has been announced.

medias7jr0.png

ss_4f5fdc3cf42feca8dafb1f7d2910ef96e62708a2.600x338.jpg
ss_ab38615b3a1d0d4309f06772db4bd9db5c250ef7.600x338.jpg

ss_81ea48324fbac48a00e482781be56cd57d796620.600x338.jpg
ss_0813f92720c59a5d21ed2d3291b8156bb4cb0fc8.600x338.jpg

DE-Hit-Doomed-Areas-Door-gif.gif
DE-Gym-gif.gif

reviewp7kw3.png

Metacritic | Opencritic

HaasGaming - 9/10

Rock Paper Shotgun
But those are the complaints of a pedant next to my larger criticisms, and those larger criticisms don't take away the good things Disco Elysium has achieved. It does deserve to be compared to yer Planescapes, yer Fallouts, even if it hasn't stepped totally out from their long shadows. It's a great, bleak rumination on the failings of humanity on a macro and micro level. But not without hope. A masterpiece, but flawed, and proof positive that if ZA/UM can do flawed masterpiece for their first outing, they might already be chipping away the flaws in time for their next.

ACG - "Buy"

linksdwj4o.png

Official Site
Official FAQ
Review Thread
Spoiler Thread

Thanks to ara for the thread title.

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I've put around ten hours or so into Disco and I've got to say, it might end up being GOTY for me. Disco Elysium is my dream game I never knew existed until last week or so. Every conversation in the game is dictated by tons of unique skills.

My favourite part of any RPG is dialogue choices and "upgrading" my character to get better ones. Disco is all about that. I love it. Honestly, buy it.

ALSO, I'm not even into RPG's (that much) but Disco feels different to the ones I've played before. I'm in the middle of cooking so I can't go into too much detail, basically the game is wicked.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Snazzy OT as expected. Keen to hear what the press have to say about it. I'm almost certainly in regardless.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Been looking forward to this forever, but I'm knee deep in Destiny and FFXIV at the moment so that playtime is giving me pause. But it looks good enough that I may set them aside for a bit to dive in. Been mostly dark on it but what I've heard sounds fantastic

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Here for a legendary thread and a hopefully legendary game. The Thought Cabinet looks like an amazing mechanic and it seems like this will be great for replays.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looks my kind of game, but lately i don't have that much time to play anymore, let alone delve into a dozens of hours long rpg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Planescape Torment for the first time a few years ago, wishing I could remove all the combat slog from the awesome world and interactions

So to say that a noir hardboiled detective Planescape Torment, that eschews traditional combat for a dialogue/skill check-focused design, that also happens to be set in a China Mieville-esque weird alternate reality, is a dream game come true...might be an understatement

Tomorrow can't come soon enough

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If all goes well I will be able to finally play this over the weekend. Though I will probably play it sooner than that, but that will be me not doing what I am supposed to. I have a paper to write first and really shouldn't be playing it until I turned in my first draft for review. But I probably will. My willpower is only so strong.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Nice OT!
This is going to be my first PC-game after I took a break from keyboard-gaming and I can`t wait!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
So to say that a noir hardboiled detective Planescape Torment, that eschews traditional combat for a dialogue/skill check-focused design, that also happens to be set in a China Mieville-esque weird alternate reality, is a dream game come true...might be an understatement

There is something fitting about working on the OT for this game side-by-side with the one for the new Planescape port.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
This and Sunless Skies in the same year. Hopefully a few more reviews pop up tonight before release, but it looks incredible.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to dig into this once I get home tomorrow.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Been following this game for a long time now, glad to see it all came together.

But it doesn't unlock on Steam for another 19 hours???

giphy.gif

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Feels kinda wild that this is finally coming out after following it for so long.

Unfortunately it's not looking likely that I'll be able to play it tomorrow due to crappy download speeds, but I'm holding out hope.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rated it a Buy. It does have some issues but it is simply hilariously out there, great narrative, love the skills system. Just insane.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm knee deep in Pillars of Eternity rn but I'll give this a shot later. Hopefully my PC can handle it.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed that I have to wait till mid day tomorrow for this, but excited beyond belief

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Rated it a Buy. It does have some issues but it is simply hilariously out there, great narrative, love the skills system. Just insane.
Overall, would you say the narrative sticks the landing, comes together in a satisfying way? To be fair, I don't even know what the story is besides "solve murder", so hard to imagine where the plot goes. They've been remarkably close to the vest regarding the story

Jan 15, 2018
I'm so ready for this game, been fascinated with the concept since the game was revealed. Hoping it ends up being really influential since it would be cool to see more CRPGs that are less combat focused.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man...I'm getting the sniffles. Hate to be getting sick this week. That really sucks. May have to call in. Don't want to get others sick since I work in an open office environment. Better to not risk it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man...I'm getting the sniffles. Hate to be getting sick this week. That really sucks. May have to call in. Don't want to get others sick since I work in an open office environment. Better to not risk it.

You too? Something must be going around... best to stay home and partake in light activity.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of having a high INT, average PSYCHE, low PHYS and MOTOR, with Drama as my starting skill. Basically a physical wreck and terrible investigator who survives through bluffing, lying, and fast-talking around trouble. Suggestion and Reaction Speed should be good complementary skills

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have this wishlisted. I'm not sure when I'll play it, but I'm looking forward to it.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I shouldn't get this because I'm gonna dive headfirst into Outer Worlds in two weeks and that'll take most of my time. But...this looks so good and I want it. :(

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Their twitter confirmed it's up at 10am pacific time. 6pm tomorrow here, meaning I won't play till the 16th. I hate digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.