• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It feels like we need a full spoiler thread to discuss the game and leave the OT for more general discussion and impressions.

I finished the game in 36h with a 1 5 3 3 build and managed to most of the things, but not everything. I loved the experience, the writing, art and would building are amazing and something for future developers to learn from. On the other hand, I feel that there are some issues well, especially with the narrative pacing.

I feel the game was at it's very best on the 3rd day when you question Klaasje and the Hardie Boys and figure out what happened there, the dynamic is great. Everything after the tribunal feels like a fever dream epilogue, disconnected from the previous part. There are still quests you can do, but they are sparse and not as well integrated with the rest of the narrative as the earlier quests. The lone communard gunman on the flak tower was an ok solution to the story, but it does feel like a bit of an afterthought. I feel that the cryptid should have probably only been interactable with at all if you had a high Inland Empire, it's not really going to make sense for every playstyle.

Beyond that I was a bit annoyed at some dialogue options when it was obvious that the writers felt that they had to present you with apocalypse/superstar/sorry/whatever cop or communist/facist/ultraliberal/moralist options. They had fun with it in some places, but it often felt totally out of place in an otherwise great conversation.

I can't really comment too much on the reactivity, I think they did a lot with it, but it did dry up noticeably toward the end. I was pretty impressed that I could never find my gun and just rely on my BFF Kim and my talking tie teaching me to make molotov cocktails. On the other hand, the final conversation with the Precinct 41 people, felt pretty empty, I didn't see any options to even not rejoin them. I just wanted to quit go join Precinct 57 with my boi Kim. I think it could really use like a few ending slides or something as well.

Finally, I mostly played as a "sorry cop", I guess. I tried my best to solve the case, and stay clean and not sound like a crazy person. I feel that it would be pretty hard for me to play as just a fun crazy dude, who likes disco and communism or whatever. After you talk to your precinct on the radio and figure out how fucked up you are, I just feel like trash every time I'm picking the wacky dialogue options in any serious situation.

PS. Is it possible to get any actual closure with the ex-whatever (Dora)? Best I could do was to promise to try to get over her at the end.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I somehow didn't get around to really solving the Hardy/Klassje stuff until the 5th day or so.
Did end up getting like 6 different positive skill modifiers when finally talking to the Hardies, though.
Also, never found my gun, but also never got molotovs.
Decided to just completely ignore Everett after the first quest for him. Never learned what Cuno's deal was.

Did you call your ex-girlfriend?
Not sure if the right options bring closure, since you can't recall her and after a certain amount of choices the call ends.

Aside from that my character ended up as 3/1/5/3.
With no clothes the skills were:
1-1-3-3-6-5
4-1-1-1-1-1
5-6-10-6-7-5
2-9-7-4-3-6

Kinda want to do another run through with high INT/PSY.

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Huh, I somehow didn't get around to really solving the Hardy/Klassje stuff until the 5th day or so.
Did end up getting like 6 different positive skill modifiers when finally talking to the Hardies, though.
Also, never found my gun, but also never got molotovs.
Decided to just completely ignore Everett after the first quest for him. Never learned what Cuno's deal was.

Did you call your ex-girlfriend?
Not sure if the right options bring closure, since you can't recall her and after a certain amount of choices the call ends.

Aside from that my character ended up as 3/1/5/3.
With no clothes the skills were:
1-1-3-3-6-5
4-1-1-1-1-1
5-6-10-6-7-5
2-9-7-4-3-6

Kinda want to do another run through with high INT/PSY.
I think having high empathy and suggestion really helps you figure out the Klaasje and Hardie Boys stuff, probably why I was able to do it earlier. I did the same as you with Everett. For the molotov, you need the blue medicinal alcohol from the bums by the village and your tie, that part's pretty great from start to finish.

Yup, I called her as well, I feel like I got all the background on her, just not sure if there was a way to make any choices regarding her definitively. I think if it happens, it's during the dream sequence in the flak tower. It is pretty fun how having high Psyche actually fucks you over with her and Klaasje a bit.

For everyone doing second+ runs, make sure you take Shivers and Esprit de Corps if you didn't there's some amazing stuff there.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My only problem was that finding my gun required me rereading my ledger to advance time because I had nothing else to do on the day before finding Ruby. I had already read every other book or talking through every possible optional tree. They make you wait until 22:00 for a meeting, and I had all my other quests wrapped up(I really made sure of this), so I had an entire day of nothing but rereading.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to say that the conversation at the end of the game with the plasmid, after an entire play through of dutifully becoming a cryptozoologist was such a strong ending that I felt completely satisfied. I would've been super bummed out if I had failed the checks to talk to it.

I am kinda sad though that apparently it appears for everyone? Seems like you should need a high enough perception + inland empire to make it happen.

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My only problem was that finding my gun required me rereading my ledger to advance time because I had nothing else to do on the day before finding Ruby. I had already read every other book or talking through every possible optional tree. They make you wait until 22:00 for a meeting, and I had all my other quests wrapped up(I really made sure of this), so I had an entire day of nothing but rereading.
I had to advance a day post-tribunal, because Kim just vanished for a day. I presume it had something to do with the hotfixes they've been uploading, luckily he was back the next day.

Just out of curiosity, where is the gun, is Everett just holding it?
I've been wanting to say that the conversation at the end of the game with the plasmid, after an entire play through of dutifully becoming a cryptozoologist was such a strong ending that I felt completely satisfied. I would've been super bummed out if I had failed the checks to talk to it.

I am kinda sad though that apparently it appears for everyone? Seems like you should need a high enough perception + inland empire to make it happen.
That is the impression I'm getting, from reading around a bit. I agree with your suggestion, it doesn't really fit every playthrough to go have a heart-to-heart with a giant stick insect. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had to advance a day post-tribunal, because Kim just vanished for a day. I presume it had something to do with the hotfixes they've been uploading, luckily he was back the next day.

Just out of curiosity, where is the gun, is Everett just holding it?
I did the two jobs for Everett, and he set up a meeting with "Pigs". She is a mentally ill homeless woman who is obsessed with police officers. You meet her on the docks and have to get the gun from her somehow. It's a pretty great standoff situation.

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I did the two jobs for Everett, and he set up a meeting with "Pigs". She is a mentally ill homeless woman who is obsessed with police officers. You meet her on the docks and have to get the gun from her somehow. It's a pretty great standoff situation.
Cool, I never even met her.

Anyone figure out what the deal is with "Palerider"?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the pale? Did the church quest fully, but got through the logic part with double sixes, so I feel I must have missed something I was supposed to do for it?

It's a great game, but it definitely ends in a bit of a whimper imo. The actual killer, the meetup with the precinct all feels like it falls a little flat. It's only shortly after the tribunal though which is sooo good, so I can forgive it as a bit of a weird epilogue. Doing my cheat/super star run to get everything I missed now, and hoping that can shed some light.

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you go through the end of the whole Church quest and understand the Pale fully you can talk to her about her "riding" the Pale.
Nice, I'll probably do that when I do another playthrough. I was a bit challenged in the INT department for the first one.

What exactly is the pale? Did the church quest fully, but got through the logic part with double sixes, so I feel j must have missed something I was supposed to do for it?

It's a great game, but it definitely ends in a bit of a whimper imo. The actual killer, the meetup with the precinct all feels like it falls a little flat. It's only shortly after the tribunal though which is sooo good, so I can forgive it as a bit of a weird epilogue. Doing my cheat/super star run to get everything I missed now, and hoping that can shed some light.
The best I can tell from the stick insect is that it's like a slowly increasing area of "storm" that appeared when humans did. It basically fucks up everything it touches and is generally bad.

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Huh, I missed the ability to contact your ex. How do you unlock that?
There's a lonely phonebooth near the boardwalk (between the church and the electricity building), you can keep inserting money to call random people. If you do it enough you get an Interfacing prompt to call your ex and be extra sad. Later when you sleep in the Flak Tower, you have a dream about her (not sure if there's any requirements for that).

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Just got done with the game, amazing.
I really liked the ending, altho the deserter could've been introduced a bit earlier into the story.
Were some good twist'n'turns the murder took and the writing just shows how big a room for improvement there is for most videogames, every single line was a pleasure to read.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
In the end I left the quest to find a motive for the murder incomplete, and just had to give the political motivation as something that made sense. I feel like I must have been missing something from earlier in the game that would have led to the real motive?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I just gave a woman an extremely long hug, closed my eyes, and told her it was to help the working class. Love it.

In the end I left the quest to find a motive for the murder incomplete, and just had to give the political motivation as something that made sense. I feel like I must have been missing something from earlier in the game that would have led to the real motive?

I got that just by talking to the Deserter; not sure what prior things needed to be completed for it. He wanted to be with Klassje. Even though he hated everything she stood for (vanity, frivolity, middle-class desire for fascism), she was like the symbol of everything he had lost because of his commitment to his ideals. I kind of like that he offered this outsider's view of capitalism and corruption and had this longing to be part of it but couldn't go against his revolutionary principles. How he hated the elderly fascist soldier but never brought himself to kill him because he also cared about him in a weird, roundabout way -- maybe as something that gave his principles meaning. He had a million things he could have done to fight back against the Coalition but he didn't because in a way he needed them to be there to remind him that his isolation wasn't meaningless, and the one thing that caused him to crack was seeing that he could never get his youth and beauty back.

EDIT: And the cryptid as seen below. He also had severe delusions of grandeur of being a kind of caretaker of the village in that he could see all the people, and got off on having the power to end their lives if he chose. An outsider like Lely was not part of the village, so he presented a good opportunity to "punish" Klassje for her actions.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
so many questions haha especially with the void, dolores dei, the 2mm hole and the doomed commercial area. i'm sure of that stuff's all connected, just never put it together. already seeing some stuff i never encountered in my playthru like molotovs and drug trafficking? never did end up opening that shipping container or finishing the race theory stuff as well.

after going with a heartbroken harry/plus supportive of the old couple, that ending hit the exact right spots. especially when dude kept calling me a drunk when i didn't drink or do any drugs the entire game.

should be a pretty different experience knowing what to expect. maybe tequila sunset will live on in this run.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
He was poisoned by long exposure the cryptid and it messed with his head. You need to get deeper into conversing with the bug to find this out.

Last edited:

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
He was poison by long exposure the cryptid and it messed with his head. You need to get deeper into conversing with the bug to find this out.

The thing is... I knew that, and it was acknowledged in dialogue, but the motive quest remained incomplete and the final debriefing still had us give his motive as to start a war.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The thing is... I knew that, and it was acknowledged in dialogue, but the motive quest remained incomplete and the final debriefing still had us give his motive as to start a war.
Sounds like a bug, I was able to talk about the bug poison in the debriefing.

What happens if you arrest Klassje? I chickened out at the last minute and didn't go through with it and missed my chance. I should have listened to my man volition, she lies to you about every single thing other than not being the killer. She even gives you 3 fake names!

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He was poisoned by long exposure the cryptid and it messed with his head. You need to get deeper into conversing with the bug to find this out.
I think I exhausted both the Deserter and cryptid dialogues. It was a cleverly layered puzzle, but the main element for him was Klaasje if you dig deep enough. The cryptid pheromones (or whatever) seem to have mostly just fucked him up and gave him neurological damage with a side order of memory holes.
What happens if you arrest Klassje? I chickened out at the last minute and didn't go through with it and missed my chance. I should have listened to my man volition, she lies to you about every single thing other than not being the killer. She even gives you 3 fake names!
I did that, thanks to my high Volition I figured out that it was lies upon lies and that she was manipulating me (through Empathy and Suggestion), so I arrested her just to be safe. Kim takes her away and just before the end you get a Shivers (or Esprit de Corps) vision of two RCM people approaching her cell and her feeling that this is it.

There's also a pretty cool Shivers scene at the end with some foreshadowing. I mostly just remember a man without eyelids knowing that now was his time or smth like that.

Last edited:

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I think I exhausted both the Deserter and cryptid dialogues. It was a cleverly layered puzzle, but the main element for him was Klaasje if you dig deep enough. The cryptid pheromones (or whatever) seem to have mostly just fucked him up and gave him neurological damage with a side order of memory holes.
It was both. The poison spurred him on sexually which is why he became so obsessed.

I did that, thanks to my high Volition I figured out that it was lies upon lies and that she was manipulating me (through Empathy and Suggestion), so I arrested her just to be safe. Kim takes her away and just before the end you get a Shivers (or Esprit de Corps) vision of two RCM people approaching her cell and her feeling that this is it.

There's also a pretty cool Shivers scene at the end with some foreshadowing. I mostly just remember a man without eyelids knowing that now was his time or smth like that.
I knew not to trust her, but I fell into the trap of thinking I could arrest her later.

I got a scene at end of your precinct captain going over a list of names and saying that Du Bois will come through for the people, like they were plotting some sort of insurrection.

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Weren't those just references to old cases you can talk to Kim about (like the "square bullet hole" case)?
That one was, but the case file is damaged so we never know if that one was successfully solved or not. I understood that as shit still happening that needs to be taken care of. Also I think Shivers pretty exclusevly gives you scenes of stuff that's happening in parallel with what you're doing.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The Tribunal is an absolutely awesome climax and I admit I gave a little fist pump when I nailed that asshole in the face and Kim shot the other one in the eye. Still lost four of the Hardie Boys (is it possible to save them all?) but at least I was able to warn my boy when the third one was sneaking up on him.

I was kind of disappointed that Ruby just skipped town and didn't come to help her squad. Her comical death when you try to reassure her that you have lady problems too seems like the better option now.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
If you wondered why the ending seemed a bit... Not final?
They're hoping for a sequel (and by all accounts this game is selling well enough to get one) so be on the lookout for that :)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...rs-are-in-a-bloody-battle-for-the-human-mind/

An end goal of theirs is for the sequel to have a second main protagonist. Rather than Disco Elysium's middle aged male cop, players could choose to be a pregnant woman, about five months along, which Kurvitz says would be an "incredible writing challenge" within Disco Elysium's very weird, very internalised system of skills and thoughts. "It would be unbelievable to use our skill system to speak about the bodily sensations of having another organism inside of you, while you're in the setting and talking to another person." I call that quite a spicy meatball.
Also mentioned somewhere on the official discord that they'd allow you to transfer saves

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
The Tribunal is an absolutely awesome climax and I admit I gave a little fist pump when I nailed that asshole in the face and Kim shot the other one in the eye. Still lost four of the Hardie Boys (is it possible to save them all?) but at least I was able to warn my boy when the third one was sneaking up on him.

If you did that well then I think you should have only lost three of them? I've only figured out that you can change if the gardener/lawyer, and Titus, get shot or not.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
If you did that well then I think you should have only lost three of them? I've only figured out that you can change if the gardener/lawyer, and Titus, get shot or not.

Hmm I'm not sure what happened to the lawyer. She didn't get shot, and neither did Titus, but she's not there at the hostel afterward. I know Angus died, and I lost Shanky and Glen, but I'm fuzzy on the others. Will have to replay to check it out.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're on the topic:

Can I confirm that failing the Suggestion check gets you a bonus on shooting the leader, and succeeding gets you nothing?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I didn't get a very great ending lol. Let Klaasje and Ruby get away, had seven people die in the tribunal.

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Does everyone meet the cryptid, or is that gated by sidequests and choices?

I loved the resolution to the murder itself. It was poignant and unexpected and yet interwove with everything perfectly. I was extremely frustrated that I couldn't reach the island before the tribunal, though. I looked everywhere for a way to do it once I failed the door check. That was the only part that felt like that game was cheating.

Also, I restarted with a high-FYS character and I am hugely, hugely missing all the Inland Empire, Empathy, and Esprit de Corps prompts from my first run. They tell you so much of what's happening beneath the surface.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Does everyone meet the cryptid, or is that gated by sidequests and choices?

I loved the resolution to the murder itself. It was poignant and unexpected and yet interwove with everything perfectly. I was extremely frustrated that I couldn't reach the island before the tribunal, though. I looked everywhere for a way to do it once I failed the door check. That was the only part that felt like that game was cheating.

Also, I restarted with a high-FYS character and I am hugely, hugely missing all the Inland Empire, Empathy, and Esprit de Corps prompts from my first run. They tell you so much of what's happening beneath the surface.
I failed the Cryptid check at the end even with a 6/6 roll I think I needed to take the pheromone from the guy. Also I was thinking of trying a high FYS character that's interesting to know.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I failed the Cryptid check at the end even with a 6/6 roll I think I needed to take the pheromone from the guy. Also I was thinking of trying a high FYS character that's interesting to know.
I mean, I now get access to high-level Shivers and plenty of options and dialogue I didn't have before, but the game feels ... colder without the Psyche skills piping up all the time. You lose all the subjectivity and the richness of the minds around you.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I now get access to high-level Shivers and plenty of options and dialogue I didn't have before, but the game feels ... colder without the Psyche skills piping up all the time. You lose all the subjectivity and the richness of the minds around you.
Yes I didn't think it was a bad thing just interesting how different it can make the experience.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone find the cocaine skull? I assume it has something to do with the locked door on the coast with a red impossible check attached to it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
How many days did the game take people? I found Ruby on the end of day 3(Wednesday), and that seems like it's what kicked off the tribunal. And then after waking up on Friday I was able to go and finish the game. Feels like I missed out on my chance to finish some extra things. But I'm not if that's how it always goes or not.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
How many days did the game take people? I found Ruby on the end of day 3(Wednesday), and that seems like it's what kicked off the tribunal. And then after waking up on Friday I was able to go and finish the game. Feels like I missed out on my chance to finish some extra things. But I'm not if that's how it always goes or not.
I think I found Ruby on the evening of Day 5. The tribunal is scripted to take place immediately following that. While there are certain events that take place on certain days (the water lock isn't fixed until the morning of Day 3), I think most things are cued by task completion than by actual time or days passed. I'm curious about something like Rene's death, which I suspect is always the morning after you resolve tasks with him and/or exhaust his dialogue. On the other hand, I still had a locked check with him when he died, I think? So maybe he always dies during the same night?

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
I think I found Ruby on the evening of Day 5. The tribunal is scripted to take place immediately following that. While there are certain events that take place on certain days (the water lock isn't fixed until the morning of Day 3), I think most things are cued by task completion than by actual time or days passed. I'm curious about something like Rene's death, which I suspect is always the morning after you resolve tasks with him and/or exhaust his dialogue. On the other hand, I still had a locked check with him when he died, I think? So maybe he always dies during the same night?

I think all the big changes happen with the point of no return like you said. After all when he dies you can ask if it was caused by the fighting in the streets.

The point of no return can lock you out of a lot more stuff than they explicitly talk about - in the church you can unlock a new quest that leads back to the Union, which will be DOA if you've already triggered the tribunal.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to be really thorough too heh. I was walking back to go see the smoker guy on his balcony when I ran in to the tribunal.

Also had Rene die for me.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think all the big changes happen with the point of no return like you said. After all when he dies you can ask if it was caused by the fighting in the streets.

The point of no return can lock you out of a lot more stuff than they explicitly talk about - in the church you can unlock a new quest that leads back to the Union, which will be DOA if you've already triggered the tribunal.
I definitely found out Rene was dead before I even confronted Ruby, so it's not tied to the point of no return. I think it is tied to dialogue choices.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
Did anyone find the cocaine skull? I assume it has something to do with the locked door on the coast with a red impossible check attached to it.

Who was Cocaine Skull? I think that door was totally unopenable. It was there just to add one more thought to your thought cabinet.

---

By the way, how should I dance in the church? I've completed every side quest for Egghead, Acele and the other guys and have maximized my composure level, wore clothes that give composure bonus and have used amphetamine to boost my motorics but the chance of succeeding is still %3. I have one negative point for getting shot in the hip.

---
I just found out that you can take Cuno with you as a party member for the final day. As much as I love Kim, I wish I had taken Cuno instead. And it turns out that you have the option to recruit Cuno as a police officer in the future. Now I have to play the game one more time!