• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The store is not closing. They are just enabling developers to add it to the community.

Edit: OK. Yes. It's replacing store with the Nitro subscription thing.

Last edited:

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
The store is not closing. They are just enabling developers to add it to the community.

"we've decided to replace the store tab with our Nitro games catalogue"

I can't go into a typical store front anymore. Sounds like a form of closure to me.

If I have to hunt down official channels now to buy their respective games, that turns me off of buying games through Discord more than I already was.

Interesting premise though. Hope it works out for them.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
After Twitch's store died, this was going to happen sooner or later.
The only stores that are alive are those that provide keys for other stores (GMG, humble), and the stores that are associated with developers, or are developers themselves (Steam, GOG, Uplay, Origin, Epic)

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
So no more storefront? So another store that won't even attempt to improve discovery. This makes discovery extra challenging.

The added channel features seem pretty neat at first glance. I hope they add MP features in the future.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I only see the Nitro tab without the option to buy specific games, just Nitro

Soo... seems like OP is accurate?

Probably didn't expect EGS to enter the ring

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, yeah the Discord Store as a "Steam competitor" is dead.

On the other hand, the replacement is a very interesting idea. Allowing official Discord servers to sell games directly does lean into Discord's pre-existing strengths. For example, I do know that No More Robots heavily relies on official Discord servers to develop a community to promote their games, and this should fit hand-in-glove with that.

With that said, a) this absolutely won't wash with devs that don't want to maintain such a community, b) this won't improve anyone's discoverability and c) this is basically the same idea as the Twitch store, and that failed miserably.

So yeah, we shall see. Its certainly something different (and hopefully also indicates the end of timed exclusives on the platform).

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
You know, this is actually a great idea to change their store model to community-based model, or whatever this called. This is like Steam community, but instead of forums there are chat channels, and I think this idea can work out pretty good. As long as they won't try to push exclusivity crap (I don't mind if some devs would decide to sell games only through Discord servers on their own, without those strict deals), I welcome this change.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not much of a surprise. Nobody uses the store and, in addition to that, half of the games on the platform are part of the Discord Nitro subscription. Can't even be bought separately.