• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And opens up Discord Game Store for all devs too. Which I'm really excited about.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
already giving up their curation lol, that sure lasted long.

Guess they want all the devs that want to but cant get on the epic store

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
From the link in the OP for folk without Twitter embeds.

TL;DR — In 2019, the Discord store will allow all developers to self-publish games with a 90/10 revenue split.

https://blog.discordapp.com/why-not-90-10-3761ebef4eab

So, we asked ourselves a few more questions. Why does it cost 30% to distribute games? Is this the only reason developers are building their own stores and launchers to distribute games?

Turns out, it does not cost 30% to distribute games in 2018. After doing some research, we discovered that we can build amazing developer tools, run them, and give developers the majority of the revenue share.

So, starting in 2019, we are going to extend access to the Discord store and our extremely efficient game patcher by releasing a self-serve game publishing platform. No matter what size, from AAA to single person teams, developers will be able to self publish on the Discord store with 90% revenue share going to the developer. The remaining 10% covers our operating costs, and we'll explore lowering it by optimizing our tech and making things more efficient.

We will also empower developers to communicate with their players by improving Verified Servers, extending their ability to add great content to the Activity Feed, and more. We believe if we iterate and work with developers, we can reverse platform fragmentation in the game industry while connecting developers and players closer together.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve is in a weird situation.
They take 30%, sure, but for sales on their stores. Steam Key sales take 0%.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few more features and i'd be happy to use the Discord store as my main store/launcher. I already use it for everything social and always have it running.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They also have plans to lower it even further.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Oh look, another reason not to use the Epic store.

Still hard to beat Steam's 0% take, but at least other's are trying to catch up to Valve.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expected it after the disaster that was their launch . Nobody gave a single shit about it.
Nice to see them having a better split and finally giving up curation. Might actually buy something there, as long as they stop with their timed exclusivity shit

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve is in a weird situation.
They take 30%, sure, but for sales on their stores. Steam Key sales take 0%

True, and they don't get enough credit for how they handle keys. But I'd be genuinely surprised if, for most developers, key sales make up enough of their total game sales to offset the amount that a 90/10 split would have earned. I don't see why Steam couldn't offer both, of course.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
How low can we go?! 2019 is going to be interesting.

Wait, is Tencent an invester in Discord too?

Edit: Of course they are. Multiple rounds of financing. This reminds me of PubG vs Epic lawsuit.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
It sure doesn't cost 30% to distribute games, we all know that by now. However that is pretty much all Discord and Epic games store are doing. Steam (and console platforms) on the other hand offer quite a bit more than just distribution both for developers and customers.

In any case this is good news as long as they stop buying exclusivity. If some people want to support Discord and developers by using the Discord store, by all means.