• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Everything is competing with each other. Stores with other stores. Games with other games. All that's happening here is Steam won't be quite so absurdly rich, and more devs will have more of the revenue from their game sales, which means more devs, more content, etc. And that means more competition. I seriously doubt that's going to stop now.

Could also lead to fewer discounts which leads to less sales, which leads to less revenue, which leads to less devs, which leads to less games.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Steam is not a monopoly. We have GOG. Itch. Humble. GMG. CDKeys.net. G2A. These are all competing for YOUR money. If you buy a game on GOG, you're not giving cash to steam. It's not that hard to understand.

Underlined stores are not platforms, but key sellers that mostly sell Steam codes. Heck, G2A is not even a legitimate seller, but a second hand market between users that doesn't care whether the codes actually work or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
oh piss off
The discourse on PC gaming in this forum is reaching new lows now

I mean, it's true? STEAM did harbor hate groups in their forums for years and they didn't care and didn't do anything about it. It's not until places like Motherboard made articles about it that they began to do something about it.

It's true. It's documented. Why are you trying to pretend it isn't true?

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Interesting development. I kinda forgot already that they had a store, I feel there's been very little fanfare about it. I guess they're already struggling to stay relevant. Though this is of course a great move to the devs, so no arguments against it.
Alright lets not jump the gun lol, there's a shitload of moderation that goes on it's sorta ridiculous.
To be fair, the moderation was the responsibility of the devs for a longest time. But it changed and Valve will moderate too unless the devs wish otherwise and want to do it just themselves. https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/...ard-comments-content-moderation-review-change

Sorry to bring up Steam again after the modpost, just that I felt any misinformation should be corrected.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I mean, it's true? STEAM did harbor hate groups in their forums for years and they didn't care and didn't do anything about it. It's not until places like Motherboard made articles about it that they began to do something about it.

It's true. It's documented. Why are you trying to pretend it isn't true?

Kind of what happens when you let it be free and the fact that devs are suppose to moderate their forums within steam, at least assign some moderators.

But then look at this site.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Why not make it 80/10/10, and give the consumers something too? A storefront where the developer still gets a bigger share than Steam takes but all games are also cheaper from Day One for the customer, that's an interesting proposition to me.

Because as a consumer, personally, I don't really care where I buy stuff. I care about how much it costs, and if the value is worth my time. If I saved £5 on every new release on Discord over Steam, that's competition because I'd be saving hundreds throughout the year. If they're just the same price, I'm sorry but I'm going to just keep using what I already have. I'm happy to see developers get a bigger cut and it's about time, but I, the customer, do not feel obligated to jump through additional hoops for no personal benefit.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry for the bump but I just learned about this, and I'm wondering why this isn't getting more discussion on Era. Is it because it doesn't fit the narrative of evil developers selling their souls to Epic?

As a dev, this is absolutely fantastic news. Most people don't realize that indie game development is often done at a loss even before taking the 30% hit from stores, plus the 30% hit from publishers if you want to have any visibility. Even a 5% can mean the difference between an indie studio continuing to survive or having to close down. A 20% is huge.

Why not make it 80/10/10, and give the consumers something too? A storefront where the developer still gets a bigger share than Steam takes but all games are also cheaper from Day One for the customer, that's an interesting proposition to me.

Because as a consumer, personally, I don't really care where I buy stuff. I care about how much it costs, and if the value is worth my time. If I saved £5 on every new release on Discord over Steam, that's competition because I'd be saving hundreds throughout the year. If they're just the same price, I'm sorry but I'm going to just keep using what I already have. I'm happy to see developers get a bigger cut and it's about time, but I, the customer, do not feel obligated to jump through additional hoops for no personal benefit.

Devs can price their game differently on different stores, so they can already do this, if they want; and in fact you raise a valid point that it might be in their best interest to price their games lower on stores that take a smaller cut, to encourage people to buy it there (but as with everything else, you risk enraging customers that may perceive it as unfair and an attempt to force them to do something they don't want). However, if you force this split on devs as store policy, they'll simply price their games 10% higher on the Discord store to compensate, so you'd be back on square one.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Devs can price their game differently on different stores, so they can already do this, if they want; and in fact you raise a valid point that it might be in their best interest to price their games lower on stores that take a smaller cut, to encourage people to buy it there (but as with everything else, you risk enraging customers that may perceive it as unfair and an attempt to force them to do something they don't want). However, if you force this split on devs as store policy, they'll simply price their games 10% higher on the Discord store to compensate, so you'd be back on square one.
Very well put and yeah you are absolutely right, forcing it wouldn't work. I suppose my comment was more an ill-thought out take on the competition between storefronts and the new marketing narrative surrounding it becoming "the devs make more money", rather than offering the consumer something tangible which is what I would expect from a competitive storefront.

Don't have much more to add to the discussion unfortunately except, despite my post perhaps alluding to something else, I do wish Discord all the best and they should be commended for this very generous split of revenue. They're the top platform that has popped up recently I'd actually consider buying games from.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Very well put and yeah you are absolutely right, forcing it wouldn't work. I suppose my comment was more an ill-thought out take on the competition between storefronts and the new marketing narrative surrounding it becoming "the devs make more money", rather than offering the consumer something tangible which is what I would expect from a competitive storefront.

Don't have much more to add to the discussion unfortunately except, despite my post perhaps alluding to something else, I do wish Discord all the best and they should be commended for this very generous split of revenue. They're the top platform that has popped up recently I'd actually consider buying games from.

I wish people realized how hard it is to make money making indie games, so that rather than "devs making more money" we could talk about the far more realistic "devs lose less money"... :/