• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The demon of hatred felt like a relic from when the game was earlier in development and probably very different. Which made even more sense after reading somewhere that they didn't design the bosses in order.

Demon of Hatred played much more like he belongs in Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne and feels very incongruous with how Sekiro is designed to be played.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The demon of hatred felt like a relic from when the game was earlier in development and probably very different. Which made even more sense after reading somewhere that they didn't design the bosses in order.

Demon of Hatred played much more like he belongs in Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne and feels very incongruous with how Sekiro is designed to be played.

In constrast the Corrupted Monk feels like a showcase of the game's mechanics which is probably why she's the first boss they showed. She has a big, imposing weapon which is also very readable unlike spears, she uses thrusts, sweeps, a 'super move' a la Dancer of the Boreal Valley that is fun and rewarding to deflect and even incorporated stealth.

Also probably the most fun boss to fight, at least for me.

SushiMassage

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
- Camera
- Overused enemies
- Not very creative bosses, compared to other From games
- Environments throughout the whole game all look the same

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so hard I've never even played it yet. The difficulty crossed over to the real world and has me fearing playing it.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Of course before I get into it I would say that I enjoyed Sekiro very much and consider it to be a great game. But it has its fair share of shortcomings (for me personally):

*Combat is restrictive and one note. The better you get at Sekiro, the more limited you feel because you eventually realize the optimum way to play.. VERY quickly into the game. The execution level is not that high either so it's all a matter of learning enemy patterns because Parry timing is almost mashable with how easy it is. Because execution level is low and combat is restrictive... that means that while the combat has a high skill floor, it has a low skill ceiling. Eventually anyone who is decent or good at Sekiro will all just play the same to each other. There is nothing to improve on in the game aside from parrying every enemy/boss attack consistently.

*The Consumables + Combat Art /Ninjutsu+ Prosthetic trifecta of tools sharing a SINGULAR resource pool of Spirit Emblem further restricts your options and in general is very poorly balanced. It would have been quite fun in combat if you had a separate meter for combat arts and for Prosthetic Arms but because they are shared, you just want to use the best thing out of them which usually just means using the best Prosthetic and a free but powerful Combat art like Double Ichimonji. The best set up in the game is Double Ichimonji plus Long Spark Firecracker, tools which you can get very early on in the game and can carry you through 90% of the game INCLUDING the very final boss. Many of the combat arts in the game are straight up trash and consume too many Emblems to ever be good. Many of the Prosthetic Tools are at least situationally good but the resource limits how much you can use. Rarely if ever you are going to be using 3 different Arms in a fight.

*Tons and tons of mini boss reuse. Many of them you fight 2-3 times, some even 4+ times like the Longswordsman, the Headless and the Shaman. The mechanic of using Divine Confetti of turning the spirit minibosses into a joke is just simply lame. They also reuse some bosses as well. The double Guardian Ape boss fight is tedious and lazy as all hell. And to be honest, there are only a handful of very good bosses in the game that are also unique. Lady Butterfly, samurai on a horse. first Guardian Ape, Genishiro, final boss... maybe Corrupted Monk if it weren't for stealth insta kills. Demon of Hatred I despite because its like a Dark Midir fight in Sekiro which is a poor fit for the game. Lots of hitting and running around against a tank of an enemy who can just random two shot you and has terrible hit boxes.

*There's quite a lot of backtracking/reuse of areas as well. There are 3 times where you go through Ashina Castle and getting the bonfires again. Two times where you go through Hirata Estate.

*Bonfire placement is far too generous and feels like you are always a couple of minutes away from the next one. There is very little interconnection within levels so you aren't really unlocking short cuts, you are just going through the level in a linear fashion with very little branching paths. I appreciate that the world is at least interconnected some what.

*Stealth mechanics are half baked as fuck. The enemy AI ranges from "I can't see this guy killing my partners right in front of me" to "I can see this guy hiding behind a building 10 stories above me". It's very pedestrian PS1 era stealth mechanics (yes you read this right, we had games like Tenchu and MGS1 in PS1 that did Stealth better than Sekiro) and its embarrassing to see in a Souls game. Luckily the combat feels good enough to carry the game because if this was a dedicated stealth game I would have dropped it around the Hirata Estate portion of the game. Stealth is generally just a mechanic for players to mitigate the difficulty of the levels and minibosses somewhat.

*Weird difficulty curve and spikes, the hardest part of the game is the first few hours when you are learning the mechanics and your stats are poor. Once you get past the first 3rd of the game and beat Genichiro... the game for me was a coast until I got to Owl and then the final two bosses (one of which was optional). Some of the miniboss encounters in this game are harder than some of the bosses.

*NG+ in Sekiro is in general a waste of time and is easier than your first walkthrough. You need to ring the demon bell and not have the Kuro charm to get a proper new difficulty experience and that means that you will be taking damage even if you just block. But it doesn't teach you anything you didn't know before, it just punishes you more. Like no shit you have to parry everything, enemies/bosses still die efficiently to the same strategies (ie. Double Ichimonji plus Firecracker spam). I learned this in the first 2 hours of the game... I don't need to be doing this for the next 20 hours. There is no original content in NG+ either, no changing of enemy positions or patterns. You can just go for a different ending to fight the different boss... and that's it. A far cry from the other Souls games IMO.

*Story is fairly weak, Sekiro's main protagonist is bland as they come and the dialogue is nothing home to write about. No one should experience this game on English VA, it's low tier anime dub status. The story and plot generally put me to sleep. There was a lack of intrigue, atmosphere or mystique in the story and lore, things were fairly straightforward but not presented or told in an interesting manner.

*The music and atmosphere of the game was surprisingly not memorable for me. Not that it was bad, but I don't remember any track in Sekiro except for the one that blares when you get spotted in the first few areas since you listened to it so much. And MAYBE the menu music.

*Camera turns to shit if an enemy jumps over you or if you are in a confined space or near a corner. The Longswordsman fight in Ashina Reservoir is the prime example of this.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
In constrast the Corrupted Monk feels like a showcase of the game's mechanics which is probably why she's the first boss they showed. She has a big, imposing weapon which is also very readable unlike spears, she uses thrusts, sweeps, a 'super move' a la Dancer of the Boreal Valley that is fun and rewarding to deflect and even incorporated stealth.

Also probably the most fun boss to fight, at least for me.

I did enjoy the corrupted monk even if he last phase is kind of weak compared to the first two.

My favorite was either Owl or the final boss in the good ending

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, to be fair, they were dedicated stealth games...
Sure but if your game consists of large chunks of section that can be gone through with stealth, you need to polish it up more. It's like rightfully criticizing the combat in an Assassin's Creed game, its not a dedicated action/combat game but you spend enough time in the combat that its worth bringing up as criticism.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but if your game consists of large chunks of section that can be gone through with stealth, you need to polish it up more. It's like rightfully criticizing the combat in an Assassin's Creed game, its not a dedicated action/combat game but you spend enough time in the combat that its worth bringing up as criticism.

Perhaps it was my expectations, but I found the stealth perfectly servicable since it was described as a light stealth game. Not perfect by any means, but not bad at all

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Fair point but I agree with Res, it was goofy at times, but still serviceable enough, where as early AC games had really, really, really bad combat haha.

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Sekiro but definitely have some complaints that I'd like FromSoft to change for further titles.
-Lack of build variety: this was an issue in Bloodborne and it's even worse here. It may make the game easier to balance, but even if stats aren't included give players some other weapons or expand the moveset of the katana.
-Reused content: Don't make me fight the same boss or go through the same area with minor changes multiple times.
-Spirit emblems: Having limited resources for core mechanics is terrible. It was one of the worst things about Bloodborne and it's annoying here as well.
-Combat arts: Make combat arts feel more useful outside of a couple and let players equip more than one at a time.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm fine with the combat; it's restrictive but I like that the game wants you to play it one way, I think learning how the game wants me to play it is a worthwhile experience. I recognize this will understandably turn a lot of people off.

What disappointed me was more so the relative lack of interesting lore, I'm not done with the game but am in the late game and Ashina really feels like it wasn't fleshed out enough to me. When you come down to it, pure volume wise the world is quite large but due to the way traversal works the game world feels really quite small.

Oct 26, 2017
  • SE are dumb. Either have them respawn at checkpoints and balance bosses/areas around a full set, or just ya know design a better system
    • PTs suffer because of this
    • Skills suffer because of this
  • No option to turn hand holding off (like imagine if fighting games/NG had big "this attack is a grab" alerts)
  • Bosses are too easy to control, most bosses you just spam R1, deflect a few times, repeat etc
  • Skill ceiling is very low
  • extremely little room for creativity.
  • Just terrible balance all around

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Said fuck it and I'll post what I just put in the OT:

"
Okay, I'm not gonna lie
I'm getting fatigued with the frequency of bosses. Like I just got to Guardian Ape and tedium is sure as shit setting in as I realize, again, I'm gonna to be stuck for a little while dissecting this fight.... just to finish it, move on for like 20 mins and then I'm onto another one

Sometimes I legit hate the pacing in this game. :(
"

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Dark Souls 3 was the first of the series that I only finished twice. I did not even complete the DLC.

Sekiro might be their first game that I drop at one playthrough.

I think I'm just done with their formula until Bloodborne 2 happens.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree with most of the comments in this thread.

The combat gets pretty stale halfway through the game. Boss fights turn into nothing more than pattern memorization and R1 spamming. Also, the reuse so many bosses. The boss variety is really bad.

In the end, it was a fun game and I still enjoyed, but it's probably my least favorite souls game. I REALLY missed the RPG mechanics and build variety.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
I don't mind 20 spirit emblems. You shouldn't be using your prosthetic as a crutch. It's situational, meant to be used occasionally. Personally, I like using the fireworks when I heal, since many bosses use your healing to strike at you.

I do think Sekiro is unequivocally FromSoftware's easiest game, and also the shortest. Possibly my least favorite overall, though I still love it (just shows how much I loved Dark Souls and Bloodborne). Boss variety wasn't too good and the world was kind of dull.

There's definitely 3 or 4 really good boss fights though.

The combat is fun as hell though.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind 20 spirit emblems. You shouldn't be using your prosthetic as a crutch. It's situational, meant to be used occasionally. Personally, I like using the fireworks when I heal, since many bosses use your healing to strike at you.

I do think Sekiro is unequivocally FromSoftware's easiest game, and also the shortest. Possibly my least favorite overall, though I still love it (just shows how much I loved Dark Souls and Bloodborne). Boss variety wasn't too good and the world was kind of dull.

There's definitely 3 or 4 really good boss fights though.

The combat is fun as hell though.
20 Emblems for JUST Prosthetic Arms is fine.

20 Emblems for Consumable Items + Prosthetic Arms + Ninjutsu + Combat Arts is a terrible system that just undermines the various options in the game. It makes the combat arts that use up emblems much worse.

This is not THAT bad of an issue for when you are dealing with multiple enemies but it's a big issue against bosses where things like these matter the most.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Everything is mentioned but something which I haven't seen is the lack of sense of mystery of the world compared to other From games, I don't know how to explain it but there is a feeling you get from exploring Soulsborne games that isn't present here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest I think is From's fear of making skills useful, like they were deathly afraid of it.

Playing it straight after DMC5 wasn't helping either. Nero's air taunt alone in that game has more utility than all of Sekiro's combat skills combined.

For a From game the combat is solid enough but at the same time they want you to play the game a very specific way and trying to deviate from that or to be creative is often a very bad idea.

Other than that the enemy AI is super braindead stealth-wise so all enemies outside of mini-bosses/bosses are a joke.

And the problem that arises from stuff like crappy skills, lack of stuff to use money on eventually etc. is that you lose motivation to deal with normal enemies and might as well just run by them. I know for a fact that if I ever do a full second playthrough I will be running past enemies a heck of a lot and just going for the goal.

Last edited:

runlikehell

Oct 26, 2017
Camera issues and random toggle lock-on are my only problems with the game, I can tolerate all my other little niggles because it's the most satisfying game I've played all year.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Of course before I get into it I would say that I enjoyed Sekiro very much and consider it to be a great game. But it has its fair share of shortcomings (for me personally):

*Combat is restrictive and one note. The better you get at Sekiro, the more limited you feel because you eventually realize the optimum way to play.. VERY quickly into the game. The execution level is not that high either so it's all a matter of learning enemy patterns because Parry timing is almost mashable with how easy it is. Because execution level is low and combat is restrictive... that means that while the combat has a high skill floor, it has a low skill ceiling. Eventually anyone who is decent or good at Sekiro will all just play the same to each other. There is nothing to improve on in the game aside from parrying every enemy/boss attack consistently.

*The Consumables + Combat Art /Ninjutsu+ Prosthetic trifecta of tools sharing a SINGULAR resource pool of Spirit Emblem further restricts your options and in general is very poorly balanced. It would have been quite fun in combat if you had a separate meter for combat arts and for Prosthetic Arms but because they are shared, you just want to use the best thing out of them which usually just means using the best Prosthetic and a free but powerful Combat art like Double Ichimonji. The best set up in the game is Double Ichimonji plus Long Spark Firecracker, tools which you can get very early on in the game and can carry you through 90% of the game INCLUDING the very final boss. Many of the combat arts in the game are straight up trash and consume too many Emblems to ever be good. Many of the Prosthetic Tools are at least situationally good but the resource limits how much you can use. Rarely if ever you are going to be using 3 different Arms in a fight.

*Tons and tons of mini boss reuse. Many of them you fight 2-3 times, some even 4+ times like the Longswordsman, the Headless and the Shaman. The mechanic of using Divine Confetti of turning the spirit minibosses into a joke is just simply lame. They also reuse some bosses as well. The double Guardian Ape boss fight is tedious and lazy as all hell. And to be honest, there are only a handful of very good bosses in the game that are also unique. Lady Butterfly, samurai on a horse. first Guardian Ape, Genishiro, final boss... maybe Corrupted Monk if it weren't for stealth insta kills. Demon of Hatred I despite because its like a Dark Midir fight in Sekiro which is a poor fit for the game. Lots of hitting and running around against a tank of an enemy who can just random two shot you and has terrible hit boxes.

*There's quite a lot of backtracking/reuse of areas as well. There are 3 times where you go through Ashina Castle and getting the bonfires again. Two times where you go through Hirata Estate.

*Bonfire placement is far too generous and feels like you are always a couple of minutes away from the next one. There is very little interconnection within levels so you aren't really unlocking short cuts, you are just going through the level in a linear fashion with very little branching paths. I appreciate that the world is at least interconnected some what.

*Stealth mechanics are half baked as fuck. The enemy AI ranges from "I can't see this guy killing my partners right in front of me" to "I can see this guy hiding behind a building 10 stories above me". It's very pedestrian PS1 era stealth mechanics (yes you read this right, we had games like Tenchu and MGS1 in PS1 that did Stealth better than Sekiro) and its embarrassing to see in a Souls game. Luckily the combat feels good enough to carry the game because if this was a dedicated stealth game I would have dropped it around the Hirata Estate portion of the game. Stealth is generally just a mechanic for players to mitigate the difficulty of the levels and minibosses somewhat.

*Weird difficulty curve and spikes, the hardest part of the game is the first few hours when you are learning the mechanics and your stats are poor. Once you get past the first 3rd of the game and beat Genichiro... the game for me was a coast until I got to Owl and then the final two bosses (one of which was optional). Some of the miniboss encounters in this game are harder than some of the bosses.

*NG+ in Sekiro is in general a waste of time and is easier than your first walkthrough. You need to ring the demon bell and not have the Kuro charm to get a proper new difficulty experience and that means that you will be taking damage even if you just block. But it doesn't teach you anything you didn't know before, it just punishes you more. Like no shit you have to parry everything, enemies/bosses still die efficiently to the same strategies (ie. Double Ichimonji plus Firecracker spam). I learned this in the first 2 hours of the game... I don't need to be doing this for the next 20 hours. There is no original content in NG+ either, no changing of enemy positions or patterns. You can just go for a different ending to fight the different boss... and that's it. A far cry from the other Souls games IMO.

*Story is fairly weak, Sekiro's main protagonist is bland as they come and the dialogue is nothing home to write about. No one should experience this game on English VA, it's low tier anime dub status. The story and plot generally put me to sleep. There was a lack of intrigue, atmosphere or mystique in the story and lore, things were fairly straightforward but not presented or told in an interesting manner.

*The music and atmosphere of the game was surprisingly not memorable for me. Not that it was bad, but I don't remember any track in Sekiro except for the one that blares when you get spotted in the first few areas since you listened to it so much. And MAYBE the menu music.

*Camera turns to shit if an enemy jumps over you or if you are in a confined space or near a corner. The Longswordsman fight in Ashina Reservoir is the prime example of this.

All of this and the fact that the game has zero customization in your character's look. This is a big deal for me because I've always enjoyed the fashion aspect of previous games by From Software and this completely devoid of it disappoints for me. Also I know I'm probably in the minority, I felt like Sekiro is not 'fair', at least psychologically. Like against those mini bosses with long polearms with shit ton of health, while you're stuck as a squishy sword wielding guy who dies in 2 hits. It doesn't feel like a fair fight. Compared to say Bloodborne, I can equip my hunter with weapons and stuffs that make him look like he stand a chance against his foes. It's a mind block thing for me.

maxresdefault.jpg

I felt more empowered going into battles like above, than

DmusKlqUYAAgwoZ.0.jpg

Last edited:

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Don't have a problem with reused bosses in general, but some things about the Sekiro bosses seemed off.
Like why do they make you fight Ape/monk again (with a twist) after such a short period of time?
Why is there no story explanation for why you take them on again?
How did the Ape even get to his second spot?

For me Genichiro and Butterfly were the only "roadblocks". All the other bosses were fairly easy to beat. OTH some mini bosses took me a ton of tries.

Oh and yeah the Spirit emblem economy is super annoying.

Oct 26, 2017
Combat options are too limited.

Skill point / ninja tool upgrading grind is excessive, but I guess that is balanced out by most of them being too weak to be useful.

Not enough spacing between boss fights most of the time.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
My biggest issues with the game are that it got old after a while(the first half was immensely more fun than the second), certain enemies were not very fun to fight(not hard, just not fun) and the parry system, fun as it was, got old after a while.

Prosthetics/combat arts were all fun gimmicks, but they were just gimmicks. They weren't really helpful for the most part. Like yeah there were times a prosthetic just hard countered a boss, but in terms of overall utility they just weren't there. Plus making the moves use consumables meant that you were limited to just sword attacks for the most part. Like, ninja tool/skills take so much grinding and they aren't useful enough to compensate. Plus the costs weren't balanced at all, Puppeteer was the best ninja skill and it was somehow the cheapest one too.

You only had one weapon, so it had even less variety than Bloodborne, and the game REALLY wanted you to play one specific style. Even Bloodborne let you have some variety at times, even if that was just choosing a strength or a dex build.

It's weird because I started out REALLY loving the game and thinking it would be my favorite From game and then it just kind of stopped being as fun for me. Don't think I'll replay it at any point. Really good game, but I honestly think it could've been like 5 hours shorter and much more solid for that.

Good game, but it's not exactly gonna leave a lasting impression on me.

Also fuck you Cleric Beast why are your reskins on fire always so hard to fight

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good points, one of the best games I've played this year but a lot of your gripes are what I felt as well.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My main issues are the reused bosses and the mostly useless skills which made me just run through the areas until I reached the next (mini-)boss.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
TatteredHat yup.

In all the From games I played before, the difficulty would ramp up towards a boss and after you beat him, the game would give you a breather.
Like an easy area where you can explore.

Sekiro has a mini boss waiting for around every corner it seems. Some of them right before an actual boss, after a tricky encounter.

Examples:
Ogre -> Mini Boss -> Headless or Snake

Snake (Poison) -> Snake Eyes Mini Boss -> Ape x2 -> Headless

Bull -> Gyobu -> Mini Boss

Either the number of bosses is too high or the maps are too small. Something feels off.
Makes it even more curious why they put so many duplicate bosses in the game.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In all the From games I played before, the difficulty would ramp up towards a boss and after you beat him, the game would give you a breather.
Like an easy area where you can explore.

Sekiro has a mini boss waiting for around every corner it seems. Some of them right before an actual boss, after a tricky encounter.

Makes it even more curious why they put so many duplicate bosses in the game.

Mentioned this previously but it honestly feels like they made an easy stealth game and then remembered that Souls is known for its 'prepare to die' shtick and then just turned up the dials/numbers on the mini-bosses/bosses and called it a day.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Actually OP, High Monk is the secret MVP of unlockable moves, together with Ichimonji Double of course.

If you use High Monk as soon as you see a sweep attack coming in, you do an absolutely insane amount of posture damage, enough to almost instantly take down most minibosses.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I love the game to bits, but I was surprised that for the first time in a From game the world didn't draw me in, like it did in DeS/DS/BB. I just did not get hooked by the story or lore and for me, that's really frustrating for a From game.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
While it was a still great game and I had a lot of fun with it and I would heavily consider it for my goty, there were a lot of stuff that I didn't like:
  • Reused Bosses/mini bosses.
  • Some backtracking, sometimes 3 times for one area.
  • The soundtrack had some moments but mostly forgettable.
  • The main story is meh. If they are going for direct approach in storytelling they need better writing and plot.
  • While many environments were great, Some were somewhat bland and lacked the great atmosphere From is known for.
  • Many bosses weren't great.
  • The game doesn't encourage to use the prosthetic tools, I don't even know what half of them actually do.
  • Most of the skills were meh and not needed or discouraged from using.
  • Stealth was really not that great and rudimentary at best. Still created some fun moments.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the fights, there's so little that's unique. There's 5 Headless fights, 2 Great Ape fights, 3 fat drunkards, 3 chained ogres, 2 corrupted monks, 2 long arm centipede dudes and a million spear/sword minibosses of the same design. Not to mention making you go through Ashina castle 3 separate times and turning off the waypoints each time

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

*Combat is restrictive and one note.

Basically all of this, I'm on NG++ because I wanted to do the last ending, and I thought replaying and killing everything would be a good way to earn enough exp to level all my skills but nope, not only the exp sucks, it's also so god damn boring because little has changed.

The high is really high in Sekiro but it lost a lot of steam during the second half of the game, there were a few maps that were good but it's also padded with reused enemies and assets, which weren't really that bad on the first playthrough but not fun anymore on a replay, not to mention the two gimmick "bosses" that were boring the first time :P

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Good points, one of the best games I've played this year but a lot of your gripes are what I felt as well.

Agreed. Best game I've played since RDR2.

Mentioned this previously but it honestly feels like they made an easy stealth game and then remembered that Souls is known for its 'prepare to die' shtick and then just turned up the dials/numbers on the mini-bosses/bosses and called it a day.

Yeah, makes sense.
I also think the 4 prayer beads/1 memory mechanism didn't help in that regard.
Kinda forces you to put a shit ton of bosses in there.....

Once I found out that most mini bosses exist 2,3 or 4 times I was a little bummed out.
Some of the encounters were truly memorable:

- purple Ninja at the Pagoda
- Snake Eyes at the Sunken Valley
- Drunkard at the Estate

But then the game goes ahead and devalues those fights smh

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the fence about buying this game, thank you all for convincing me not to get it.

I genuinely mean this. I've dabbled in Bloodborne and Demon Souls, but never really had the time to dedicate to them, and they never got their hooks in me. I convinced myself that Sekiro would be different, but it sounds like it's the same.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
lol, definitely different strokes. DoH was one of favorite bosses in Sekiro and one of my favorites in From in general.

Yup, DoH and Owl are some of my favourite From bosses.

I was disappointed how Dragonrot works in the final version of the game. It's nothing basically.
I do loved using different prosthetic tools, but most of the unlockable skills as many of you guys mentioned are kinda lackluster/pointless.

edit almost forgot about the replay value - it is much, much lower compared to their previous games. Obviously lack of co-op/customization hurts it, but i expected at least remixed enemy placement and we didn't got that either. DSII still remains with the best NG+ of all From games.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, he was being serious? I don't know if people blame the game, but I am definitely too old for this. My hands hurt real bad this week, and I'm not even kidding, it's primarily because of Sekiro.
I can't see into his head, of course, but I some times do the same; jokingly blaming the game for what I know are my problems. Think it's just the classic problem of text losing a lot of the verbal queues we use to convey jokes.

Sucks to hear about your hands homie

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I found the progression to be lacking, the boss quality to be inconsistent, and the focus on parry spam to be a playstyle I didn't enjoy. The emphasis on only OK stealth meant there were large sections of overworld progression I didn't like, the grappling hook didn't come into play as much as I wanted, and the game was lacking in any real mystery or discovery. There's no sudden twist like in Bloodborne or battle scenarios as thrilling as Dark Souls 1. The performance on PS4 was bad, but no shit it's From so I expected that.

It's a good game, but also was the game that made me realise maybe I should abandon From Software's games in favour of something that doesn't feel like a tedious waste of time at its worst moments. Rather than give my usual immediate NG+ I give FS games, I decided to replay DMCV. Getting SSS ranks felt like a level of mastering the mechanics for cathartic victories that I didn't get in any of Sekiro.

Again I will reiterate I liked it. I'd give it a 7/10 - but in the "every point in the scale" way where 8+ means one of my favourite games of the year.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
20 Emblems for JUST Prosthetic Arms is fine.

20 Emblems for Consumable Items + Prosthetic Arms + Ninjutsu + Combat Arts is a terrible system that just undermines the various options in the game. It makes the combat arts that use up emblems much worse.

This is not THAT bad of an issue for when you are dealing with multiple enemies but it's a big issue against bosses where things like these matter the most.

Oh yeah, I never even bothered to try other combat arts once I got the double ichimonji (which didn't use spirit emblems, thankfully).

Can't speak to consumables like the spiritfalls either. I stocked up tons of them and never used them :/

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Problem with Spirit emblems is the same problem I had with Blood vials in BB tbh
They encourage grinding.

You can't really design your play style around them because you run out of them when you need them the most.

The firecrackers are super helpful against the Ape for example. But I ran out quickly and found it easier to just beat him without them instead of going on a farm run.

Would have loved a spirit emblem mechanic where you get 5, 6, 7..... of them after every Rest.
Maybe tie the number to the Prayer bead necklace number or stg idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.