• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a couple episodes in now and I'm enjoying it more than I thought it would. Not every joke lands but there's been some good ones and the characters are enjoyable.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I just finished the show and thought it was average. But, I am still excited for the next part.

PS: Luci is my spirit animal

Zapperino

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the first 2 episodes, the writing feels really tired so far, and reminds me way too much of the modern simpsons.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
The wife and I watched the first 4 episodes, it started slow but got better. It's a lot like his other shows. The earlier episodes were slow and not nearly as funny. We both agree though that it needs more lead characters.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the first episode now and enjoying it. I like that the animation looks more hand-drawn than a lot of modern cartoons. The background art is great too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of episodes in, it seems kinda lame and not really clever in any way.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I really loved the first episode. I haven't really watched any cartoons though in the past few years (Bojack here and there) so maybe I just need to watch some more? Either way I look forward to watching the remaining episodes.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Finished Part 1. I enjoyed it. It's not as humorous as his other shows, and I think the relationship between the three main characters don't gel as well as they wanted.

It's pretty obvious what the initial idea was for Elfo and Luci were. But they never really go hard with Elfo being the voice of reason. So at the beginning the dynamic is lopsided and it's kind of annoying they kept pressing the "personal demon" shtick. It gave Bean less agency. Thankfully they drop it after 2 or 3 episodes, but they don't flesh him out as much as say, Bender, another lovable asshole.

But I like the setting and the world building. And hearing John DiMaggio, Billy West, and Maurice LaMarche is always great. The story ends up being predictable, but it's interesting enough that I want to see where it goes.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Watched the first episode.... it was.... pretty boring

the humor was really bland and on the nose, the comedic timing wasn't good, the pacing was really weird with "action" scene that served no real purpose, and the characters don't work well togheter at all for now, no interaction stood out for me...

Is it better after the first episode?

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first episode. Demon is great, the elf is solid but the main girl is just ok. Kind of like Fry except not as fun to watch.

First episode had some decently funny moments. Art is good overall. The action sequences where people are hitting eachother seem to lack impact and weight.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. It's not amazing but I just love the world all the random stuff. The voice acting is perfect.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Watched the first episode and enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it's not great but passes the time. I don't usually like many American animated shows.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the show. I didn't enjoy the first half of the series. The humor was dated, and the characters felt like rehashes of ideas from Futurama. The second half was much better and shift to focus on a defined plot was surprising and appreciated. I'm looking forward to next season.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Not sure how I'm going to feel about this. I didn't like the first season of Futurama, especially the first couple episodes.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

the humor was really bland and on the nose, the comedic timing wasn't good, the pacing was really weird with "action" scene that served no real purpose, and the characters don't work well togheter at all for now, no interaction stood out for me...

Yes. I didn't care for the first ep at all but it starts getting better immediately after.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
The comedic timing and the way it cuts after every terrible joke is absolutely horrendous. I hate it when things do this...

It goes like this in EVERY scene: Someone tells joke that isn't funny, cut to next scene to make sure no one noticed and not marinate on how unfunny it was.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So disheartened that this show is getting really divided opinions. The trailer showed so much promise.

Does this show have a more serialized format a-la Avatar or is it more sitcom where the status quo is rarely challenged like on The Simpsons?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 episodes in, this feels very.....cozy. Things are pretty low-stakes, most of the focus in on the characters instead of throwing out a joke every second, and no one seems outright villainous so far.

I like it. Feels almost like a slice of life comedy.

"An elf with a human girl? That ain't right."

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Just finished the first episode and this is my exact takeaway.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The show wasn't funny to me with one scene and it was a delivery of one of Elfo's lines. However I like the setting and plot and the plot and story do improve as the episodes go on.

The "twist" was predictable but still really enjoyable to watch unfold. I'll keep watching this.

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
4th episode and I haven't laughed yet. They need better writers...cuz thus far it's like seeing the Simpsons

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Senses of humor vary but there are a lot of little one off jokes that get a chuckle out of me like the "Live Prude GIrls" sign at the convent

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah watched the pilot and I was very underwhelmed with the humor. The elf was unbearable and annoying. Echoing whoever said everything felt quiet - there were just times when things were happening and the audio cues sucked. The cuts and camerawork were just terrible.

Such a shame because the talent is there, and mothersbaugh on score is cool in theory. I might give another episode a try but I'm just not feeling it.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Two episodes in, feel underwhelmed.

Feels like the first few episodes of Futurama where it took time for things to really pick up. Hopefully they find their legs because there is a lot of talent on board and I like the idea

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The show is alright. Story has some organized progression. Jokes are entertaining but not hilarious. If they make a season 2 I'll watch, but the biggest improvement would be adding a couple of good comedy writers to the staff.

Deleted member 10063

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For all the people taking about missing Futurama - did you completely black out be terrible movies and unfunny second run on Comedy Central out of your brains?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the 10 episodes. Yeah, this is great, I really like it actually. Episode 6 was kinda weak, but that's it. I do agree that it's a sort of cozy show, but I fail to see how that's a bad thing. I really hope they keep the show going for a few seasons at least, I need this kind of show in my life. Futurma left too big a void and to me this fills it nicely.

For all the people taking about missing Futurama - did you completely black out be terrible movies and unfunny second run on Comedy Central out of your brains?
No, they might not have been top-tier Futurama (the movies just didn't work as movies), but "terrible"? Hyperbole much? The second run was great, not every episode was gold, but it held many favorite episodes. The final stretch of episodes was especially great. In the end I think they did all they could with the show and it shouldn't have continued, but I'm glad it came back.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching all episodes in Part 1, and yeah...that was mediocre.

I chuckled like 3 times during the entire run.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm currently at episode 4, the first episode was pretty unremarkable in every way, but it has improved since.
The only character who makes me laugh is the King

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Elfo is my favorite of the main three. Luci is too Bender (i was never really a Bender fan anyway when he was just being mean for means sake). I think the three mains play off each other well though.

Watched the first three episodes and really enjoy it.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the show begins with a sort of fake out; in as much implying we are getting a Fantasy Adventure
Takes a detour and settles into a cozy slice of life comedy
Then WHAM!!! mega twist outta nowhere.

Eh, I can dig that. It does make for some confused watching though

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the whole season to get a full idea of the show and yeah...I probably won't watch season two. Even with the last episodes that shook things up I don't really care to see what happens next. Jokes were mostly miss and felt like first drafts. Got a laugh here and there but the jokes felt...uninspired? Futurama's writing staff was full of sci-fi fans and mathematicians and it showed in the characters and episodes. Conversely, it's hard to imagine there being a single historian or fantasy book fan on Disenchantment's staff. Where are the references to fantasy classics or clever satire of medieval age history? Instead we get hooker fairies and walrus sirens. Pretty weak use of the setting.

I do appreciate that the story seems to have an overarching narrative (as Simpsons and Futurama are much more self-contained) but it's hard to tell where the writers are going with it. The relationship between the three main characters is one of the most uninteresting I've ever seen. They feel less like friends and more like destructive bar crawlers dragging each other down. Elfo started out as a possible angel to Luci's bad influence (which I felt would've worked well) but then quickly became creepy "nice guy" bestie. Speaking of which...am I really supposed to be cheering for Elfo/Bean like it's Fry/Leela? Really?! As a result of this...there's really no conflict or interesting dynamics in the group. It's just Luci corrupting Bean while Elfo pines in the distance. Boring. I don't even know why the three are in lame ass Dreamland. Bean doesn't want the princess life, Elfo doesn't want to lose blood, and Luci can give Bean bad advice anywhere. I can't help but feel a traditional fantasy adventure with the three coming across different tropes to satirize and potential allies to join the group would have served the show better.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a lot of trouble making it through the first episode. I haven't laughed once. There's just nothing there. It's just not enjoyable. I'm about 3/4 through the episode and thinking of giving up...

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't it feel kinda dull and tired? It lacks the electric energy and wildness of FUTURAMA
On episode 8 and yeah, the show feels tranquilized. Jokes come out slow and uninspired or unoriginal, and the medieval fantasy setting doesn't feel well utilized most of the time. I'll try and finish the season up but I probably won't be back for part 2.

Oh well, I'll always have season 1 of HarmonQuest.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Mr. Berry's voice and delivery is truly wonderful stuff. Just make a new new show with him and the old crew.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Fry was an excellent character in Futurama as you learnt about the future via him in the early episodes - his questions, judgements etc.

I've watched this whole series and couldn't tell you a thing about the town. There are throwaway references to a plague? At times it seems like a generic Middle-aged town, then there's stuff like giants, fairies and magic.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fry was an excellent character in Futurama as you learnt about the future via him in the early episodes - his questions, judgements etc.

I've watched this whole series and couldn't tell you a thing about the town. There are throwaway references to a plague? At times it seems like a generic Middle-aged town, then there's stuff like giants, fairies and magic.
To be fair, they do make a joke about exactly that with the Vikings parking their ship.

Oct 29, 2017
On episode 8 and yeah, the show feels tranquilized. Jokes come out slow and uninspired or unoriginal, and the medieval fantasy setting doesn't feel well utilized most of the time. I'll try and finish the season up but I probably won't be back for part 2.

Oh well, I'll always have season 1 of HarmonQuest.
Still early stages, but we are getting a BBC adaptation of Ankh-Morpork setting from the Discworld.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I finished watching it and I generally enjoyed it. It isn't the funniest show around but the cast is good, particular the side characters, and I'm really interested to see where the story goes now. Hopefully they can tighten it up for the next season as it has the right elements to be great.