• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
NISA did it again

"The following network items are not available on the Steam version of Disgaea 5 Complete:

• Data Shop - Everybody's NW, Someone's Records
  • Netherworld Edit Shop - Netherworld Network, User Netherworld
  • Map Edit Shop - Facility Removed
  • Settings - User Netherworld, User News
  • Strategy Assembly - Spread News to Everyone!, Give Item to a Friend!
  • Netherworld Hub - Map Edit Shop NPC"
Basically what happened was they decided to remove all network features at the start of development but not tell anyone or mention it on the store page.
By the way these aren't useless items, these are actually somewhat important to lessen the grind or make it more fun. It's so odd to me that they just said "nah, let's not", by the way, the are called "shops" but they are all in-game stuff, for those unaware
The game was delayed about 4 months and they still couldn't implement it. The statement came in too late and now a friend of mine can't issue a refund. Why can't NISA seem to make a PC port for the life of them?

Twitter responses are pretty on point:
923eb242e7a9da8bcbcb2c19867eb6e3.png

let me know if there's already a thread and I'll delete it

Last edited:

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NISA is a really shitty company. I always pray they are not localizing a game I'm interested in.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
At this point I feel like NISA is doing things on purpose to fuck with fans. How can they be so inept otherwise.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
By the way these aren't useless items, these are actually somewhat important to lessen the grind or make it more fun. It's so odd to me that they just said "nah, let's not".
They are actually somewhat important gameplay-wise, by the way, the are called "shops" but they are all in-game, for those unaware
Ehhhh, not really. I get it sucks they removed something, but they really did remove nothing of importance.

OP
OP
gordofredito

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Ehhhh, not really. I get it sucks they removed something, but they really did remove nothing of importance.
the endgame grind is a lot more fun. And not being able to edit the map is bad news imo, I really liked those features on both PS4 and Switch.
Sure it isn't pivotal by any means, but it's still scummy

May 18, 2018
Not really big into Disgaea 5 (have it on the switch. Was going to get it on PC but the demo fiasco....) so how important are these features? Not telling your potential buyers about something you knew about is garbage but these features don't seem like a necessity.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I don't see why they didn't plan to include them in the first place.

I don't know much but from the sounds of it I guess that these network features needed you to be "online" and since NISA wanted to cheap out on the PC version of D5C they decided to get rid of those features since NISA didn't want to host any online servers or anything like that for the PC version of this game. I am not sure if that is true or not since I don't know how those features functioned in the first place. I think that up to this point all of NISA PC stuff has been offline only (single player stuff) so they have no need to set up online stuff for the stuff that they release on Steam. In which case what I said would make some sense, based off some things that I looked up on ESRB it does not look like NISA submits all of their PC stuff on there unless it's "bundled" with other version of the game I guess in order to save on cost.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like some of this stuff could have been implemented with the Steam workshop but I guess it's easier just to completely remove.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
The statement came in too late and now a friend of mine can't issue a refund. Why can't NISA seem to make a PC port for the life of them?
Tell your friend to still request a refund.
The 14 days/ 2 hours rule is for automatic refunds, if you are over that the request will be looked at by someone and can still be granted.
He should mention how missing features were only made public hours after launch. That's definitely deliberately scummy and misleading, so the request should be honored. Unless he put in dozens of hours in the meantime, I guess, but even than there would be a chance.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
It's almost impressive how bad they are at this. Like, at some point, you'd think they'd just... I dunno, stop? Get better? Do something differently, at least.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people who bought it from a store like Humble could also be issued a refund.

That's pretty scummy.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Not really big into Disgaea 5 (have it on the switch. Was going to get it on PC but the demo fiasco....) so how important are these features? Not telling your potential buyers about something you knew about is garbage but these features don't seem like a necessity.
The map editor/downloading user maps is something pretty much everyone did to speed up the class mastery/skill mastery grind. Doing it the 'normal' way sucks.
I've put dozens of hours into the ps4 release and don't recall ever using network assembly/news features once.
Losing 'everyone's stats' is a tiny bummer, it was neat seeing the grind everyone else was putting into the game.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Awful then...

Shame as I thought I remember the Switch port actually being pretty good when I played it?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Their switch ports are generally handled by NIS, the parent company, as they release in the Japanese market. Whereas PC ports are western release only and thus handled by NISA.
Fair enough.

I thought these PC releases do get put on Steam with yen prices though? I mean why wouldn't they when the translation is already there.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
NISA is a really shitty company. I always pray they are not localizing a game I'm interested in.

Not much of a choice considering NISA is NIS American branch and disgaea is a NIS property

But ya even though it's features I don't really care that much , it's still shitty practice to leave out features like this , so no point in buying the game at full price or anytime soon, gonna wait for a sale

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Doesn't seem like anything really important is missing, but calling it a Complete Edition and only mentioning how they removed certain elements from the game 24 hours after the release is a bit scammy imo.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Classic Nisa but i guess informing the public about the missing features hours after it launched is new low.

Hope everyone still get its refunds which should be possible since NISA straight up lied.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I get really frustrated with certain Japanese developers stealth removing network features from their PC ports and acting like nobody should care or just buy it on PS4

It just makes no sense to me

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just makes NISA look like a particularly unappealing mix of incompetent and deceptive. It's clearly unacceptable to announce that features are missing from the game six hours AFTER launch. Especially as calling something a "Complete" edition causes some kind of meltdown in the minds of certain gamers when it doesnt have absolutely everything included.

At least lower the price if we're not getting all of the features.

They did lower the price it's €30 for what was a €60 game on console with ~€30+ worth of DLC rolled into it.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I've been playing it and I actually like it.
Can't get through Majorita on Chapter 15 though, soooo many corpses!

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
That really sucks for PC gamers. I'm a fan of the Disgaea series and I hate it's getting negativity like this but NIS gonna NIS.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't started my copy yet, since I'm playing Red Dead 2. However, while really manipulative and shitty of NISA, I dont think I care about the network features and am getting the game at around half price of what many console players paid.

Unless I'm missing something much bigger than I think, I think I'll be able to play my copy happily (with the other flexibility PC provides)

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't started my copy yet, since I'm playing Red Dead 2. However, while really manipulative and shitty of NISA, I dont think I care about the network features and am getting the game at around half price of what many console players paid.

Unless I'm missing something much bigger than I think, I think I'll be able to play my copy happily (with the other flexibility PC provides)

Yeah, this is a TERRIBLY SHADY move by NISA...but otherwise the port runs well and I have been waiting forever for 4K60 Disgaea.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

Given how some others described it, I would rather it be my goddamn choice on whether this could make or break anything, not NISA failing that disclose anything until after launch

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
At this point I feel like NISA is doing things on purpose to fuck with fans. How can they be so inept otherwise.

Small overall company, not enough oversight from the parent branch in Japan, inexperienced U.S. staff. I can think of a few possibilities.

Might just be better for them to change the title of the game at this point, or simply remove "Complete" from the title.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I ended up refunding it once I learned about the map editors not being included mainly because it wasn't communicated beforehand. I really wouldn't have cared overall, but to only inform customers after the fact is garbage. It's lousy all around, but oh well.