• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
What are your thoughts on Disgaea 5 on the Switch. I love turn based strategy games and this one seems right up my alley. It did review very well but sometimes launch games get a free pass.
Is it still worth it or should I wait for a price drop? It says complete edition but what's added?

I really enjoy Fire Emblem, XCOM, Advance Wars and most recently Steamworld Heist. I'm a little bit iffy on the anime style but I'll get over it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering this myself, very interested to see what owners think of it.

Then again, I recently finished Xenoblade 2 and really don't want to sink my teeth into another 100+ hr game but maybe at some point later this year.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone I have talked to who has played D5C says it's a very good version of a very good turn-based strategy game. Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I believe "complete" refers to it containing all of the DLC for free.

As for the actual game, I dunno. I liked N1 back on the PS2 days, but after that they seemed to have hit a creative rut since. Every new Disgaea game seems to be heralded as "no this one is as good as the first, really!" But I don't know how accurate that is.

Oct 25, 2017
It's got the most streamlined, fun and content-filled version of the 'Disgaea formula.' The cast may not be the best in Disgaea history, but it's better than 3 and 4. Story is pretty straightforward and not as good as 1's, but as a videogame it's by far the best Disgaea.

Source: I platinumed the game on PS4 and did Carnage Void Dark.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Play it. It looks beautiful. It has all the DLC. It's fun to play and the rewards for grinding are ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
It's complex. Really complex. Like, I played through it and I feel like I have used like 1/4 of the features this game offers. That said, it can be played fine without any indepth knowledge. But its a huge timesink if you want to work through all it has to offer.

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I own Disgaea 5 on the Switch. It plays very well and is feature rich. The turn based battles are quite good, and there is a decent amount of strategy to it. The story and characters are quite silly, for some that is a bone of contention. If you don't mind the absurdity that is Disgaea lore, there is a good strategy RPG to play, with a lot of depth, and because it's on the Switch it is portable which is why I bought it in the first place. I give it a hearty recommend!

marcod

Oct 27, 2017
It's really good. The grindey nature of the game is a perfect fit for the switch since it's a portable. Sunk around 85 hours into it.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most accessible Disgaea for sure, some stuff were a chore to do in earlier game got way easier in this. I don't think you need to grind to finish the story, even if you feel like grinding, the cheat shop is an amazing feature.
I plated it on PS4 and might pick up the Switch version sometime.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I've sunk about 6 hours into the PS4 version and absolutely love it. The last Disgaea game I played was the first one on ps2.

It's a very deep absorbing, relaxing and addictive game especially if you start getting into all it's features and the way you can customise all your characters and level them up is outstanding. Yes very rewarding. Fab game but be prepared to spend hours on it. It's not a simple pick up and play game if you play it occasionally you'll just forget a lot of the mechanics.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Disgaea 5 is absolutely insane in either the best possible way or the worst, depending on what your tastes are.

Like, imagine Gurren Lagann as an SRPG. And there's like a million different mechanics.

More broadly though, D5C is very content-dense and the price tag is justified. You could spend hundreds of hours in the game if you dig what it offers.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's got the most streamlined, fun and content-filled version of the 'Disgaea formula.' The cast may not be the best in Disgaea history, but it's better than 3 and 4. Story is pretty straightforward and not as good as 1's, but as a videogame it's by far the best Disgaea.

Source: I platinumed the game on PS4 and did Carnage Void Dark.

So, you really like Disgaea 1 and 2 then LOL

To the OP, it sounds like you might have a computer, if so, I would get the much cheaper Disgaea 1 or 2 first to see if you'll like the gameplay. It is a very hardcore SRPG.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Probably my favorite game on the switch. At the least it's my most played game, and I'm probably not even 1/3 into the main story. I've spent a bit too much time in the item world so I'm massively over leveled, but you can balance that using sliders.

It's a terrific game. I would buy it at full price. I have two copies of it, I got it on PS4 first and played maybe 5 hours. Didn't play it much. Then I bought it on the switch and play it a ton because it's portable.

Oct 31, 2017
I was disappointed because I wanted a more classic turn based RPG on Switch. Once I'm done with Persona and XC2 I'm excited to try it again, because you REALLY get your money's worth from it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disgaea 5 is absolutely insane in either the best possible way or the worst, depending on what your tastes are.

Like, imagine Gurren Lagann as an SRPG. And there's like a million different mechanics.

More broadly though, D5C is very content-dense and the price tag is justified. You could spend hundreds of hours in the game if you dig what it offers.
If only the character designs or artstyle were as slick and rad as Gurenn's. I can't get passed that protagonist design, awful.

Soluzar

Dec 25, 2017
If you haven't played any Disgaea before, then it's likely to be a massive departure from any game you know. The developer do release a bunch of other games with somewhat similar gameplay, but those are all rather lesser-known and I'd assume you haven't tried those before. Superficially it may seem the same as a Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics, but the core of the game is very, very different. I just want to make sure you're prepared for what you're getting into.

First of all, the game script is trying for funny. The humour may or may not land for you, but that's the type of story they're telling. Second of all, the narrative in this series is... not entirely the main attraction. I always have fun playing the story part of these games, but the bulk of the content is not narrative, and only opens up once you clear the story. The focus here is on powering up your characters to a ludicrous degree. During the story, in addition to main maps, there will also be procedurally-generated dungeons available to you. These dungeons will help you improve your characters, and your gear. Once the story is over, you have the option to continue pursuing these procgen dungeons at an ever higher level. The better the gear you have, the higher the level of the enemies you'll face. Sort of.

In addition to these dungeons, and as a sort of an end goal for doing them, you will also have access to a number of optional boss battles. To clear these will require characters and gear far better than is required to beat the story. You will need to spend a lot of time powering up in order to face these challenges. Fortunately, the game offers many intricate and complex systems designed to help you power up faster and more efficiently. To some extent, at this stage of the game, it's an optimisation puzzle as much as it is anything else.

If any of this sounds interesting to you, then maybe you want to play Disgaea. If it sounds off-putting, then I wouldn't want to suggest that you should not play, but you might not find that you get full value for money out of it.

If you have specific questions, please ask. I could talk about Disgaea for hours, and I'm sure that plenty of other members could as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent game

Graphics wise, I put the ps4 ver and docked switch in two different inputs to do a comparison--after switching back and forth a couple times, I lost track of which one was which. They looked equal to me.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
My first Disgaea and I loved it. If you are into turn based strategy RPG's with a super quirky sense of humor and bananas story, this is probably for you.

Just don't get scared of by the 8 million super dense systems in place. You truly can pick and chose what parts you want to engage with and still progress in the game just fine. I mostly just went from mission to mission, ignoring things like the item world and other mechanics and got by just fine.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I honestly hated it and wish I hadn't bought it.

The combat mechanics and the characters are insufferable.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Ever play a clicker game? Disgaea is like the clicker game of SRPGs. In a good way.

Do you like huge numbers, ridiculous attacks, and unconventional strategies? Disgaea should be right up your alley.

If it's anything like previous entries in the series, there is several hundred hours worth of content here if you wish to delve that deep into it.

It also helps that the game is super fast compared to most SRPGs. The interface is quick, movement is quick, and battles can move very quickly, especially if you turn animations off. It makes most SRPGs feel sluggish in comparison.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
If you haven't played any Disgaea before, then it's likely to be a massive departure from any game you know. The developer do release a bunch of other games with somewhat similar gameplay, but those are all rather lesser-known and I'd assume you haven't tried those before. Superficially it may seem the same as a Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics, but the core of the game is very, very different. I just want to make sure you're prepared for what you're getting into.

First of all, the game script is trying for funny. The humour may or may not land for you, but that's the type of story they're telling. Second of all, the narrative in this series is... not entirely the main attraction. I always have fun playing the story part of these games, but the bulk of the content is not narrative, and only opens up once you clear the story. The focus here is on powering up your characters to a ludicrous degree. During the story, in addition to main maps, there will also be procedurally-generated dungeons available to you. These dungeons will help you improve your characters, and your gear. Once the story is over, you have the option to continue pursuing these procgen dungeons at an ever higher level. The better the gear you have, the higher the level of the enemies you'll face. Sort of.

In addition to these dungeons, and as a sort of an end goal for doing them, you will also have access to a number of optional boss battles. To clear these will require characters and gear far better than is required to beat the story. You will need to spend a lot of time powering up in order to face these challenges. Fortunately, the game offers many intricate and complex systems designed to help you power up faster and more efficiently. To some extent, at this stage of the game, it's an optimisation puzzle as much as it is anything else.

If any of this sounds interesting to you, then maybe you want to play Disgaea. If it sounds off-putting, then I wouldn't want to suggest that you should not play, but you might not find that you get full value for money out of it.

If you have specific questions, please ask. I could talk about Disgaea for hours, and I'm sure that plenty of other members could as well.
I have a problem, got 20+ levels over the monsters and very decent equipment yet my characters barely do damage to the enemies on the chapter on
luezes homeworld

So eventually i lost interest :/

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

As for the actual game, I dunno. I liked N1 back on the PS2 days, but after that they seemed to have hit a creative rut since. Every new Disgaea game seems to be heralded as "no this one is as good as the first, really!" But I don't know how accurate that is.
I heard late entries are much better than the first gameplay wise but the characters aren't as charming D5 seems to be well recieved overall

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I played it on PS4 but it's great, really enjoyed my time with it.

You can increase enemy levels using the cheat shop.
Huh you mean to level up? I already use that.i mean my main characters can do decent damage but everybody else is useless and they have the latest equipment and like 20 levels over the monsters its kind of annoying

Oct 27, 2017
Huh you mean to level up? I already use that.i mean my main characters can do decent damage but everybody else is useless and they have the latest equipment and like 20 levels over the monsters its kind of annoying

Sorry I misread your post, and deleted above.

And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that pesky alert system.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017

I actually think this is actually true for Disgaea 5.

4(Although I like Valvatorez even in spite of his overused quips) and 3 were awful, 2 wasn't as good as 1.

I think 5 is actually better than the first, but I guess my opinion isn't so reliable since I dislike Laharl.

Oct 25, 2017
So, you really like Disgaea 1 and 2 then LOL

To the OP, it sounds like you might have a computer, if so, I would get the much cheaper Disgaea 1 or 2 first to see if you'll like the gameplay. It is a very hardcore SRPG.
Correct. That being said, gameplay is better iteratively so 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1. Story: 1 > 2 > 5 > 4 > 3. Characters: 2 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 3

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely the best version of the game. Plays and runs exactly the same, and goddamn does the portability benefit this game massively. I'd say it's probably the most any game benefits from it, because the grinding and just all the stuff that goes on in the game fits perfectly with a 'play whenever and wherever' style.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Generally each entry is an improvement over the previous (some people really don't like 3) and 5 continues that trend, at least in terms of mechanics and design. In terms of characters, story, etc. I still think Laharl and co. are the best, but ymmv

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The cursor feels too fast and squirly on the joycon sticks and they tie the cursor speed option to your walking speed at your base.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
First of all, the game script is trying for funny. The humour may or may not land for you, but that's the type of story they're telling.

Yeah, about that. I have Disgaea 3 on PS3 and found the "bad is good heheh" humor very cheesy and completely overdone. The bad voice acting quality made it just worse. Is it the same in 5? Because the gameplay looked really interesting.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked it. Only played through the story portion of the game. Took me 55 hours. Also, the game had some difficult sections if you didn`t grind, which i didn`t.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's the best Disgaea in gameplay terms. Except maybe not my favourite character world. Story/character wise maybe it goes 1>4>5>2>3

If you get super into it, it can keep you going hundreds of hours. Never managed to platinum any of the games though on the ps3/4 tho.

Also great fit for the Switch

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
my first time playing a Disgea game and I've really enjoyed what I've played. I hear it gets ridiculous towards the end and that sounds exciting.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, about that. I have Disgaea 3 on PS3 and found the "bad is good heheh" humor very cheesy and completely overdone. The bad voice acting quality made it just worse. Is it the same in 5? Because the gameplay looked really interesting.
No it's not.
While not award winning quality, the plot is far more grounded with far less "anime wackiness" than the 3rd and 4th installments.

The humor isn't nearly as try hard, and fourth wall is almost never broken as opposed to every minutes.

One of the characters has a quirk where she says 'Plip' during her sentences and another has tends to shoot people whenever they upset her.

The former is overall a calm and quite likeable character, while the former is the only bad character in the game.

I enjoyed the plot even though I previously was extremely turned off by those from the past entries in series.

I'm pretty sure the dub is bad, but you can change the voices to Japanese which are quite good.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

This

And this

Do you like huge numbers, ridiculous attacks, and unconventional strategies? Disgaea should be right up your alley.

And definitely this.

Disgaea is its own weird world of gaming fun. Don't jump in expecting to mainline the story though because that's like a 20 hour tutorial to the "real" Disgaea which is doing whatever the hell you want with the many systems in the game.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Correct. That being said, gameplay is better iteratively so 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1. Story: 1 > 2 > 5 > 4 > 3. Characters: 2 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 3

Yup LOL...just noticed you must have some experience based on how specific your initial post was lol. I'm not really a fan of the Disgaea 1 cast or D3 had the weird school element. I'm holding out for Disgaea 6 especially since I can't stand the characters in D5.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
It's very good

story has some nice moments and the cast aint bad

The gameplay is my favorite of the series

It's very good

Soluzar

Dec 25, 2017
Hmmmmmm. I think the plot is better, but it is still noticeably the same kind of writing. If you don't like one Disgaea game's story I'm not convinced that you'll like any of them. There are common elements between all the games. You might like this one better, but I'd hate to be the one to say that, and risk you being disappointed.

With regards to the voice acting, was that the English voices? I make no judgement as to which is better, but I've always played these games with Japanese voices and didn't find them that bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup LOL...just noticed you must have some experience based on how specific your initial post was lol. I'm not really a fan of the Disgaea 1 cast or D3 had the weird school element. I'm holding out for Disgaea 6 especially since I can't stand the characters in D5.
I think I actually prefer 2 to 1, overall. It doesn't have as good of a story as 1 does, but I think the Adell/Rozalin dynamic is much more interesting.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best version of the best Disgaea game, so take that for what you will.

If you've never played Disgaea, I second the recommendations to get your feet wet on the first one - easily picked up on PC, PS3 or Vita. But if you just want to play one there's no downside to starting with 5.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
What are your thoughts on Disgaea 5 on the Switch. I love turn based strategy games and this one seems right up my alley. It did review very well but sometimes launch games get a free pass.
Is it still worth it or should I wait for a price drop? It says complete edition but what's added?

I really enjoy Fire Emblem, XCOM, Advance Wars and most recently Steamworld Heist. I'm a little bit iffy on the anime style but I'll get over it

Same, which is why I bought Disgaea. I knew going into it that it was systems on systems ad nauseam and it proved to be a bit much. I breezed through the beginning of the game and then all of the sudden I hit a very steep difficulty curve, and with the deluge of releases on Switch, I ultimately couldn't be bothered to learn more of the systems to get me past whatever wall I hit. I wouldn't recommend it. If you like Xcom etc you should really check out Mario x Rabbids, and the upcoming Wargroove (trailer)