• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So NIS just released a video message celebrating the 5 million copies mark for the series:

They're currently running sales on Steam for the past games, and Disgaea merch on the NISA store.

NIS president Sohei Niikawa also did an interview with Gamesindustry.biz where they talk about the series. Including this tidbit about Disgaea 6.

While the first follow-ups didn't quite live up to that initial game's performance, Niikawa said Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten returned the series to that level of success, with Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance -- particularly the Switch release -- becoming "a huge success" in North America and Europe and Disgaea 6 on track to join the shortlist of most successful entries in the franchise.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Disgaea's focus on "the road most niche"

The very first Disgaea game in 2003 was subtitled "Hour of Darkness," but Nippon Ichi Software's strategy RPG series ca…

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Is this the game that is exclusive for the Switch in US and EU while also on the PS4 in Japan? Incredible that is selling that well

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was not expecting that. Every word I heard on Disgaea 6 was about how much it sucked and had some pretty glaring budget cuts.

Well, what the hey. I'm for anything that gets NIS' back catalogue out of the graveyard.

(go buy Soul Nomad)

Is this the game that is exclusive for the Switch in US and EU while also on the PS4 in Japan? Incredible that is selling that well
Yeah.

Apparently Disgaea 5 sold really well on Switch.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I though Disgaea 5 sold so good because it was a launch game/close to launch on switch.
But it seems that the fan base really is on switch now!

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I think it's important to note this from the video

Please Look Forward to the Next Disgaea

We just released Disgaea 6, but I'm sure some of you are already wondering what's next for the series. Of course, we're planning to keep it going. Though I can't really talk about when that may be, or what it's going to be like yet, we would like to take into account all of the feedback we've received about Disgaea 6 from players in America, Europe, Japan, Asia, and everywhere else, so that we can make sure everyone will enjoy the next one even more.

And this quote from the article
"We've gotten a lot of feedback with the release of 6," he says, "so we believe the best way forward for the series is for us to develop 7 with that feedback reflected."

Disgaea 6 was... very questionable. So I'm glad that they're listening to feedback proper

OP
OP
Oregano

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was not expecting that. Every word I heard on Disgaea 6 was about how much it sucked and had some pretty glaring budget cuts.

Well, what the hey. I'm for anything that gets NIS' back catalogue out of the graveyard.

(go buy Soul Nomad)

Yeah.

It's less budget cuts and more deliberate decisions to cut stuff paired with the switch to 3D meaning it has to be built from scratch asset wise.

It's kind of a reset point that will be built on in the future IMO.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Glad the series is still kicking. I hope to be able to play D6 if it comes to other platforms in NA sometime down the line.

Disgaea 6 was... very questionable. So I'm glad that they're listening to feedback proper

I haven't kept up with anything D6 related since the Switch only in NA stuff. What are the issues with it?

Is the main character better than Mao at least?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like the Switch saved this company right?

I remember there were some murmurs about them not doing too well.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've also had many issues with D6 but it was a necessary stepping stone for future entries, and I still liked it. I'm optimistic about the future.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
NIS made the right call supporting Switch early. Disgaea 5 was a launch window game and established the fanbase.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Neat.

As someone who has barely touched the series, where should I start if I want to get into it? As I understand it, they are all standalone so I might as well go with 6 right away? As I would assume that it's the one with the best gameplay.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Heard nothing but bad things about 6, so surprised it did well at all honestly.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

(go buy Soul Nomad)

Yeah.

What budget cuts? It got pretty decent review.

OP
OP
Oregano

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Neat.

As someone who has barely touched the series, where should I start if I want to get into it? As I understand it, they are all standalone so I might as well go with 6 right away? As I would assume that it's the one with the best gameplay.

That's debateable. Disgaea 5 (Complete) is the most fully featured gameplay wise, but Disgaea 6 is probably more accessible to a newcomer.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Huge fan of the IP, recently I replayed all the ones that were available on Switch, so yes very happy about this and can't wait to see what the future hold for Disgaea <3
And I agree with above, Disgaea 6 is the one to jump into if you never played those games, and if you like what you play then consider 5 Complete, which has more (and complex) features.

If you replay the old games after 6, like I'm doing right now, you're going to miss the amazing QoLs this on added, haha.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Switch is pretty much the perfect type of console for these kinds of games. Some other Japanese devs/publishers need to take advantage of this

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat.

Yeah they're all standalone games (except for Disgaea D2 which is a direct sequel to the first game and stars the main trio again) and the latest release is the benchmark.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Glad the series is still kicking. I hope to be able to play D6 if it comes to other platforms in NA sometime down the line.

I haven't kept up with anything D6 related since the Switch only in NA stuff. What are the issues with it?

Is the main character better than Mao at least?
Honestly, I couldn't even stomach the demo on Switch. I'm just waiting for 'em to release it somewhere else.

But there are a few obvious issues, like cutting classes in half, getting rid of weapon abilities and auto mode trivializing post game (Just leave the game running overnight lol)... also post game being a shadow of it's former self.

Also, you better like Zombie jokes

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
Hope one day it will launch on Xbox to be available on XCloud

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Is it one of the most successful based on sales alone or because it was cheaper to develop. 6 is missing a lot of content compared to 5.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Is it one of the most successful based on sales alone or because it was cheaper to develop. 6 is missing a lot of content compared to 5.
Sales, of course.

The series was dying on PS platforms. The company almost went under due to the mobile game flopping hard.

OP
OP
Oregano

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I very much doubt it was cheaper to develop. The cheap route would have been to build on the last game like the last few did rather than create all new assets like they did with Disgaea 6.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt it was cheaper to develop. The cheap route would have been to build on the last game like the last few did rather than create all new assets like they did with Disgaea 6.
Yeah I saw it much more as a Make or Break kind of thing for NIS. Like they put this effort in for D6 to hit a new height or they shut down.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Having put the most time on these games on the vita ports of D3 and D4, the handheld market seemed just right especially to the Nintendo only crowd. Still wack that D6 has a ps4 port and a localization but not out overseas, guess Nintendo really helped out with bringing it over.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
"on track to be one of the most successful entries"... makes it sound like its not a success right now at this very moment? Kinda weird wording, though it seems like it did well enough for them. Can't say I care much for how this whole release went though

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
"on track to be one of the most successful entries"... makes it sound like its not a success right now at this very moment? Kinda weird wording, though it seems like it did well enough for them. Can't say I care much for how this whole release went though
What a weird reading of a very direct and simple statement.

OP
OP
Oregano

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw it much more as a Make or Break kind of thing for NIS. Like they put this effort in for D6 to hit a new height or they shut down.

It's probably the better move in the long run, but it at least appears it paid off straight away with D6.
Having put the most time on these games on the vita ports of D3 and D4, the handheld market seemed just right especially to the Nintendo only crowd. Still wack that D6 has a ps4 port and a localization but not out overseas, guess Nintendo really helped out with bringing it over.

Nintendo didn't do much other than give it some much needed marketing via Nintendo Direct.

Interestingly NISA just announced western released of two visual novels for Switch, one of which has a PS4 version that they're apparently not bothering with.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people would say that D6 doesn't get anywhere close to D5 though.
As in creating a new artstyle/engine/presentation/whatevs in service of future games.

I don't play Disgaea. Sometimes I think of buying the D1 remake but mostly I just simp for Soul Nomad.

OP
OP
Oregano

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Desma

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Disgaea 6 was made to be more accessible then I hope another publisher can pick it up and port to Xbox & Playstation platforms if NISA won't do it.

Seems like the perfect game to get a bigger audience with.

.... it's NIS's game, no other publisher will port it to another platform if NISA won't do it.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this comes to PS4 at some point but I'm not sure that's going to happen. Just doesn't feel right on my Switch for some reason.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I just recently picked up a Switch and realized most of these games are on there.

Amazing how well this series did there.

OP
OP
Oregano

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I should clarify and say I meant if NIS won't do it due to financial obstacles.

A company like an Atlus has published for them before in the past right?

A PS4 version already exists in Japan and in the Gamesindustry interview there's doubt cast on the possibility of Xbox releases.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
A PS4 version already exists in Japan and in the Gamesindustry interview there's doubt cast on the possibility of Xbox releases.
Yeah PS4 in Japan but I meant other territories like US & Europe, etc. I have all the Disgea games on PS4 and thought it was weird that 6 skipped PS4 but then again I don't follow the sales reports of these games.

NIS not having it on Xbox wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary but it just seems like a missed opportunity to bring the game to another platform. I get that they're struggling though so I'm not expecting unrealistic ports, just something I would be interested in. Interestingly Disgaea 5 is on PC Gamepass/Windows Store, would be cool if Microsoft dropped the bag on them to get D5 & 6 ported consoles.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah PS4 in Japan but I meant other territories like US & Europe, etc.

NIS not having it on Xbox wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary but it just seems like a missed opportunity to bring the game to another platform. I get that they're struggling though so I'm not expecting unrealistic ports, just something I would be interested in. Interestingly Disgaea 5 is on PC Gamepass/Windows Store, would be cool if Microsoft dropped the bag on them to get D5 & 6 ported consoles.
They aren't bringing it to the West on PS4 because the fifth entry flopped.