• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Figured it made sense to have a thread where all the info we know so far is collected in one post...(some info is translated, just a heads up)

Disintegration is from the mind of one Marcus Lehto, the legend behind the creation of Master Chief as well as apparently the Warthog! (still one of the best controlled vehicles in any game ever)

First screenshot.
Screenshot_2018.jpg

Announce trailer

Plot info.

Disintegration takes place on the Earth of the future after about 150 years. Humanity is on the verge of destruction by the pandemic virus. To avoid extinction, scientists invented a method of transplanting the human brain into a robotic environment, thereby hoping to reverse the process. The procedure was called "integration" and allowed the experimental subjects to live for more than 300 years.

However, this led to unrest and chaos caused by the feud between "integrated" and ordinary people. A civil war broke out in which the former easily prevailed. They created the Royon group, led by Black Shack, designed to destroy the remaining "natural" people in the entire United States.

Players will take control of Romer Sholl, who is rebelling against the "integrated" forces. Before the riots began, Sholl was known as the first integrated one and respected him for this (earlier integration was the prerogative of the rich).

Romer was the host of Top Gear-style gravity shows. After the start of the conflict, Black Shack gave him the task to modify the devices, equipping them with weapons. Romer was not happy about this and began to sell some graves on the black market to a rebel group called the Human Liberation Coalition or HLC for short.

Black Shack discovers this and catches Romer, but he escapes. Thus begins his story of uniting disparate gangs of rebels to battle Royonne and overthrow Shaka.

Gameplay info.

• Players will control gravcycles — flying combat vehicles of several classes — and give orders to four infantrymen controlled by AI.
  • Marcus Lehto compared the Disintegration player to a pilot whose right hand is a gravity bike and his left is foot soldiers.
  • Among the locations of the game are the west coast of the USA, including the Rocky Mountains and the Arizona desert, as well as Iceland.
  • The developers initially planned to make a story campaign for 4-6 hours, but as a result, passing 13 missions takes an average of 10-12 hours.
  • The game has several classes that differ in weight, mobility and equipment.
  • Each of the four classes has its own weapons and special ability, activated using the D-pad. Grenades, slowdowns, mortar strikes, ground traps - all this has its own reload timer.
  • Developers promise ample opportunity for tactical maneuvers. Sholl can fight off enemies, hiding behind a shelter, and then send infantry to the flank. Or do the opposite: hold the enemy, while the detachment, controlled by AI, retreats.
  • According to Lehto, the team tried to simplify the mechanics for interacting with a certain type of units at certain locations. The obsolete FPS cliché, where the enemy attacks and the lone hero gives him battle, has been replaced by a high-speed gravicile and team tactical work. However, the game sometimes works and feels like a shooter.
  • The scenery is completely destructible, adding to the game not only a beautifully recreated environment, but also great tactical flexibility: users can bypass the enemy behind the shelter, or punch a hole in it.
  • One of the abilities in Disintegration will be healing, and when it is recharged, users must rely on first-aid kits that appear after killing enemies. Medical kits will heal not only the character who picked them up, but also all the friendly forces nearby. With full health, the charge time of the ability decreases, which plays into the hands of characters at the epicenter of events. After the death of a partner, a capsule with a human brain pops out of his robotic body, which must be picked up in order not to fail the mission. However, no one canceled the respawn timer.
  • Lehto claims that despite the modest size of the team that creates the game, Disintegration turned out to be surprisingly large. It contains 13 missions, the passage of which the average player will take 10-12 hours. In this case, initially, the developers aimed at 4-6 hours.
  • Disintegration looks and feels like a Bungie game. The old adage about "30 seconds of fun" fits perfectly. Fights are quick and tactful. The need to move forward to recover or reduce the cooldown of an ability is based on Destiny's superpowers.
  • Lehto's new game is powered by Unreal Engine 4 technology, which, unlike the powerful but extremely cumbersome internal development of Bungie, provides a fairly quick iteration.
  • The game also has a fresh perspective – tactical battles with a high tempo and a multiplayer mode based on "heroic moments".
  • There is a hub called the 'Old Meg' where you'll return and be able to pick up missions from rescued characters.
  • All these characters want, ultimately, to become human again. That's the carrot hanging out on the end of the stick – but they're not sure that carrot actually exists. They're working hard to find their loved ones that might still be alive; they want to find and secure what's left of humanity. They're not like this tight-knit group of Navy SEALs. They're journalists, they're teachers, they're metal-shop workers and cops. They have different agendas, political agendas and cultural upbringings. They don't all get along great with each other. But they're survivors, and they're out there to help in the fight.

Gameplay will be at Gamescom.

Oct 27, 2017
Gravity bikes is too much of a mouthful. We should give them another name, something small and fast - like a bird perhaps? A swallow? A swift? How about sparrow?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So it's a bit like Supreme Commander or Total Annihilation, where you control a main unit with weapons and you give RTS style instructions to a small squad of AI units?

Need to see gameplay footage because it kinda sounds like something Cliffy B would come up with and then bomb it. Maybe there is some cool hook in the game that is super interesting but some indepth footage is needed for that.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm struggling to reconcile the descriptiosn of tactical gameplay and comments about the immediacy of it, like the "60 seconds of fun comment".

It makes me equal parts excited and cautious. Either way it certainly hs my attention.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So it's a bit like Supreme Commander or Total Annihilation, where you control a main unit with weapons and you give RTS style instructions to a small squad of AI units?

Need to see gameplay footage because it kinda sounds like something Cliffy B would come up with and then bomb it. Maybe there is some cool hook in the game that is super interesting but some indepth footage is needed for that.

Reminds me a bit of the old Brothers in Arms games on the PS3/360.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like a missed opportunity to make a protagonist without a body, then to just plop 'em in a car.

This could've been Space Station Silicon Valley 2!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Disintegration takes place on the Earth of the future after about 150 years. Humanity is on the verge of destruction by the pandemic virus. To avoid extinction, scientists invented a method of transplanting the human brain into a robotic environment, thereby hoping to reverse the process. The procedure was called "integration" and allowed the experimental subjects to live for more than 300 years.
Guys... I'm in.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The "redefines the sci-fi shooter" comes from this:
Marcus Lehto had this idea as a spiritual successor to Myth: The Fallen Lords (the Bungie realtime tactics game released in 1997) which was his first project at Bungie. Halo did end up being a successor to Myth but it became focused on action mainly. He wanted to add a FPS mechanic into that universe "and see what we could do to invent, essentially, gameplay mechanics that no-one else is doing right now".

From reading the EDGE feature, it definitely sounds like a squad shooter FPS in the vein of Republic Commando or Brothers In Arms. The squad are on the D-pad with each directional input being a character. The FPS view reminds me of the visor views you get when you're in mechs of FPS games like Wolfenstein, Titanfall, etc. Enemies and your squad have health bars above them. However, you're in a gravcycle with guns that can hover around, not boots on the ground, so it might feel a bit different. The healing system is like Doom Eternal or other games that encourage you to kill to heal, so you're not staying back and picking off enemies from a distance. There is a manual heal with a cooldown. The destruction figuring into the tactics sounds good. There is a screenshot of the protagonist on the gravcycle hovering in the air, pointing ahead, while his squad are around him that are all different types of classes.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I was about to say something about how if you asked me what game I thought that screenshot was from, I'd guess Destiny with little doubt. Then I got a sudden strong sense of deja vu. I'm fairly certain I made the same remark about the same screen some months ago.

Sounds intriguing mechanically at least.

Spectone

A weird cross between the modern Battlezone games and Warcraft 3.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The "redefines the sci-fi shooter" comes from this:
Marcus Lehto had this idea as a spiritual successor to Myth: The Fallen Lords (the Bungie realtime tactics game released in 1997) which was his first project at Bungie. Halo did end up being a successor to Myth but it became focused on action mainly. He wanted to add a FPS mechanic into that universe "and see what we could do to invent, essentially, gameplay mechanics that no-one else is doing right now".

From reading the EDGE feature, it definitely sounds like a squad shooter FPS in the vein of Republic Commando or Brothers In Arms. The squad are on the D-pad with each directional input being a character. The FPS view reminds me of the visor views you get when you're in mechs of FPS games like Wolfenstein, Titanfall, etc. Enemies and your squad have health bars above them. However, you're in a gravcycle with guns that can hover around, not boots on the ground, so it might feel a bit different. The healing system is like Doom Eternal or other games that encourage you to kill to heal, so you're not staying back and picking off enemies from a distance. There is a manual heal with a cooldown. The destruction figuring into the tactics sounds good. There is a screenshot of the protagonist on the gravcycle hovering in the air, pointing ahead, while his squad are around him that are all different types of classes.

Yeah, from the screens in the magazine, the player always seems to be above the action.

Will be nteresting to see this in action, could be a new take in the FPS template.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have been following this dev since they announced themselves and got a Twitter. The original Halo is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm willing to give this game a shot.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No official review thread yet, so I though I'd share this here! The game's campaign is... not great.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No official review thread yet, so I though I'd share this here! The game's campaign is... not great.

It doesn't seem to have had a particularly warm reception.

I think some of the ideas in it are interesting but honestly the marketing and messaging has been so mixed I'm still not 100% on exactly how the minute to minute gameplay works.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem to have had a particularly warm reception.

I think some of the ideas in it are interesting but honestly the marketing and messaging has been so mixed I'm still not 100% on exactly how the minute to minute gameplay works.

Minute to minute, you're on your Gravcycle shooting whilst commanding forces on the ground. That's the only gameplay, other than walking around your base between missions, which you don't do for very long.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

This does not sound too great.

As someone who'd only check this out for the sci-fi story, guess I'm waiting for a sale.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer. I haven't been too keen on the whole hoverbike thing from the start, but I figured that if I could play it for the most part like an RTS game and the story was interesting, I'd check it out.