• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
A recent survey shows the majority of Netflix customers have no interest in subscribing to the Disney Plus streaming service.
In a surprising twist, though, Market Realist reports that a survey by Piper Jaffray shows Netflix customers remain very loyal to the streaming service. Of those surveyed, 75% said they have no interest in subscribing to Disney Plus and/or Apple TV+ (both of which launch in November), even with their lower monthly cost.
This is also the latest survey to suggest that many consumers think there are already too many streaming services as is, and aren't pleased with the idea of having to pay for even more streamers just to get the content they actually want.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
the only reason i continue to subscribe to netflix month over month is because of my kid. Thats the amount of my loyalty, but i'm still subbing to Disney+

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is to Netflix what Nintendo is to Sony/Microsoft. It is not intended to be a direct competitor that replaces the service as your sole streaming product, it's intended to be an add-on, which is why it costs half the price. The premise of this article is stupid.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Disney+ doesn't have a threat. It's going to be massive with or without those loyal Netflix subscribers.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I log into Netflix, based off of what I've been watching for years, they can recommend me what I'd like, and are even making content for whatever categories I really like. Their recommendations algorithms are their bread and butter.

Disney+ isn't really like that.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I get not wanting more streaming services but I am getting a few and cutting cable forever.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would add - "I have tried to sign up for Disney plus on several different browsers, operating systems and devices and never got past the spinning circle."

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Disney+'s biggest failing is its lack of diverse entertainment. If you dont like cartoons, comic books or Star Wars, what do they got? Not much. Netflix simply has more interesting content. So does Amazon for that matter. But Disney's advantage is they also have Hulu, which has much more interesting content than D+.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mainly keep Netflix so that my siblings don't kill me.

But in all seriousness I like how they are pushing ahead with more Oscar films. The next two months are going to be splendid.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think "loyal" is the right word here in the sense that people are simply comfortable with what they have and don't want to add another streaming service on top of everything else.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
T-Moblie pays for (most of my) Netflix, so I wont' be cancelling that. I don't really have any interest in not watching the Mandalorian on day 1 though.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah I will stay on netflix ... and then in 2025 when all those new streamings finally come to south america I will probably stop paying all and go back to piracy because fuck having to pay for 72 streaming services

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Disney+ wasn't going to be available as a Hulu add-on I wouldn't get it.

I pay for Netflix and Hulu and thats it.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+'s biggest failing is its lack of diverse entertainment. If you dont like cartoons, comic books or Star Wars, what do they got? Not much. Netflix simply has more interesting content. So does Amazon for that matter. But Disney's advantage is they also have Hulu, which has much more interesting content than D+.

The service hasn't launched so I wouldn't call Disney+ as failing.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Disney+ is to Netflix what Nintendo is to Sony/Microsoft. It is not intended to be a direct competitor that replaces the service as your sole streaming product, it's intended to be an add-on, which is why it costs half the price. The premise of this article is stupid.

Really? Every thread about Disney+ tends to frame it as a direct competitor and threat to Netflix.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I am not "loyal" to Netflix but they have the most content I want to watch and Disney+ does not so there is no need to sub to something I wouldn't use.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This all seems premature. Most people aren't suddenly ready to drop Netflix for a service that isn't out yet nor that they're familiar with what it offers. Of course this is the response now; the bigger question is how will these numbers change a year from now? Two years from now?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The service hasn't launched so I wouldn't call Disney+ as failing.
You dont have to be failing to have failings.

source.gif

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of it depends on how you word these survey questions, especially since nobody really knows much about Disney+ or what it offers. imagine these two questions

1. would you subscribe to Disney+ and cancel your Netflix subscription?

2. Would you want to watch The Mandalorian, a new Star Wars TV show, and new TV shows with Scarlet Witch, She Hulk, Loki, and Jeff Goldblum traveling the world if you had to cancel your Netflix sub to watch it?

I suspect you'd get vastly different results. Once D+ is out and people understand what shows they have, and how it lines up to Netflix (which has a much, much, much, much, much bigger catalog) then you'll really start to get $$ decisions made.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I got Disney+ for 3yrs for $140.

I'll have to see in 3yrs if it's worth keeping.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Of those surveyed, 75% said they have no interest in subscribing to Disney Plus and/or Apple TV+ (both of which launch in November), even with their lower monthly cost.

So if I'm not interested in Disney+ it's because of my "Netflix loyalty" ?
Or maybe the offer is just not interesting at the moment, even for 5$ or less.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loyalty?!?! Fucking seriously? I genuinely do not understand how people can be loyal to a brand.
I don't give a shit about any of these streaming services apart from what they offer. If the content is lacking then why bother keeping the subscription active?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
To extent its a completely different market, Netflix has a huge amount of adult focused content whereas Disney+ is aimed towards a younger demographic.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Every thread about Disney+ tends to frame it as a direct competitor and threat to Netflix.

It will certainly eat some of Netflix's market share in certain scenarios like families with young children where Disney+ can serve as a "family friendly Netflix."

Netflix's biggest concern is their diminishing quality of original shows and their rapid loss of licensed shows and films like Friends and the Office or the MCU and Star Wars, which will indirectly benefit Disney+ and other services insofar as people will be less likely to stick around with Netflix anymore.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
imagine being loyal to a corporation you pay lol

imagine to not have enough money to subscribe to several streaming services
imagine to not have access to 90% of the streaming services because you are not living in the US and making Netflix the a) nearly only choice and b) be loyal to Netflix because they cared about the rest of the world
imagine to not jump to any new service just because they exist
imagine to not care about marvel and Star wars AT ALL

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix's biggest concern is their diminishing quality of original shows and their rapid loss of licensed shows and films like Friends and the Office or the MCU and Star Wars, which will indirectly benefit Disney+ and other services insofar as people will be less likely to stick around with Netflix anymore.

This is the thing that a vast majority of the people surveyed don't realize which is why I think this survey is premature and doesn't tell us anything. There's going to be a lot of content that Netflix is going to lose over the next few years because of license agreements expiring that won't get renewed and it's that point that people will realize they're losing content that they watch. We'll see then how it impacts who subscribes to Netflix when that content starts going away.