• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Well, I will at least not unsubscribe from Netflix. I will get both. I grew up on Disney stuff and I absolutely NEED to re-watch Quack Pack.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
In the 90s we just called this 'inertia.'

Not that people owe allegiance to their existing products, they just don't have the spare time to invest in anything very different, even it there are advantages to doing so.

See: The Browser Wars.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot more variables and actually deep thinking that go into decisions like this by the consumer than "oh, lol, loyal to a brand, common fool" comments you see on era.
Netflix was first and captured a massive audience. People who have been with netflix probably know what they're getting and like the way netflix handles their stuff. They're probably already hooked on a tv show that they want to continue watching The familiar feeling obviously takes part. And contrary to what Era's microcosm of geekiness may make you think, most people don't have the time or money to subscribe to multiple services. Being first has a lot of advantages, always have. Don't make a fool out of the typical consumer just because you see different. It's the same with consoles' "loyalty"

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
In the 90s we just called this 'inertia.'

Not that people owe allegiance to their existing products, they just don't have the spare time to invest in anything very different, even it there are advantages to doing so.

See: The Browser Wars.

Ya, everyone still uses Netscape and Internet Explorer....oh wait....

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Disney+'s biggest failing is its lack of diverse entertainment. If you dont like cartoons, comic books or Star Wars, what do they got? Not much. Netflix simply has more interesting content. So does Amazon for that matter. But Disney's advantage is they also have Hulu, which has much more interesting content than D+.

I'm really excited for Disney+.

But I'm honestly not a big fan of this split where family content goes to one service (Disney+) and all of their adult content goes to another service (Hulu). I don't like the idea that Marvel movies like Deadpool and Logan won't be available on Disney+. I don't like the idea that The Simpsons are on one service (Disney+) while all of the other Fox animated shows -- Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill, Futurama -- are on another service (Hulu).

Yeah, they have a bundle where you get Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+. But it isn't just about price, it's also about convenience. I don't think Disney really needs 3 different services. Just lump your content into one service to create the ultimate Netflix killer. I mean, that's what Warner Bros is essentially planning to do with HBO Max.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, everyone still uses Netscape and Internet Explorer....oh wait....
This doesn't follow at all from what I said, so...what?

The article is about adoption rates of a new media ecosystem, which surveys show is not a home run, and in this specific case it's not a choice between using one or the other, but using one or *both* and inertia clearly favors Netflix's position here. Maybe the browser wars comparison wasn't the best, but it's an example of customers looking past a cost/benefit analysis and just doing whatever takes the least amount of effort, which in this case means staying subscribed to netflix and not buying yet another media subscription.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm buying Disney+ for the three years, but currently my parents pay for Netflix and Amazon and my gf pays for Hulu (and I paid for HBO until Game of Thrones and Chernobyl ended), and we just swap around and use each other's accounts. So I'm not loyal to Netflix, but I still use their stuff. I wonder how many people are in the same boat.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why would one even need to choose? Those two cover entirely different things. What bollocks.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Between the four people in my house, we have a ton of shit on Netflix to watch, so I get my money's worth from subscribing. From what I have seen, Disney+ is not going to offer the same value to me, as we don't watch their movies, Star Wars, or TV shows from any era with any regularity. When their Marvel TV shows are available, I'll sub for a month to watch them.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is embedded in many millions of people's lives. They are subbed and paying regardless of how much they use it. It's like a gym membership. Disney's service is going to be huge, but this idea that it was going to be at the expense of Netflix always seemed like fanboy delusion.

Jan 29, 2018
I don't think it's loyalty so much as momentum.

I swap out HBO/CBS/Hulu/Amazon all time but I've had Netflix consistently for like 9 years. I'm used to having it available.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
It's not even about content or money: I simply don't have time for more than one streaming service.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

But personally, I'm honestly not a fan of this split where family content goes to one service (Disney+) and all of their adult content goes to another service (Hulu). I don't like the idea that Marvel movies like Deadpool and Logan won't be available on Disney+.

Disney basically wants people to be able to use Disney+ as a set it and forget it babysitter.

It'd be nice if you could have everything on it and just use parental controls, but there's no way they're risking the MY KID SAW DEADPOOL ON DISNEY+ AND NOW THE ONLY WORD THEY SAY IS FUCK stuff.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018

But I'm honestly not a big fan of this split where family content goes to one service (Disney+) and all of their adult content goes to another service (Hulu). I don't like the idea that Marvel movies like Deadpool and Logan won't be available on Disney+. I don't like the idea that The Simpsons are on one service (Disney+) while all of the other Fox animated shows -- Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill, Futurama -- are on another service (Hulu).

Yeah, they have a bundle where you get Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+. But it isn't just about price, it's also about convenience. I don't think Disney really needs 3 different services. Just lump your content into one service to create the ultimate Netflix killer. I mean, that's what Warner Bros is essentially planning to do with HBO Max.
That and the fact that the bundle you mentioned comes with advertisements on Hulu. That to me is a non-starter. The nice thing is that with Disney, the bulk of their content that I care about will first be in theaters and then on Apple/Google/Amazon etc etc. It's rare for that to happen with Netflix since most theater chains seem reluctant to even screen their movies.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix has a much more diverse/complete lineup. Don't get me wrong, I'll be subscribing to Disney plus, but it won't be on a perpetual basis like Netflix (or Prime) -- just a month or three here & there like Hulu and Premium networks. If they truly wanted to rival Netflix they should've dumped all the 'mature' Fox content, FX shows, etc .. on there as well.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine being loyal to a corporation you pay lol

I'm certainly loyal to the Netflix service as it currently exists and will continue to be loyal as long as the service exists in a way that satisfies me as a customer

then I won't be loyal

I'm also loyal to my own personal want of not subscribing to a lot of different paid services

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix has to continue to grow and if they've reached a cap on growth from new users then they have to achieve that growth through existing users. Hello increased rates and goodbye expensive (but popular) show licenses. Same thing happened with Prime, you pay more for less.

Disney+ has the advantage of being a new service and they always roll out the red carpet in the beginning. I think it's best to just hop between services. Watch what you want on the cheap and then cancel.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is to Netflix what Nintendo is to Sony/Microsoft. It is not intended to be a direct competitor that replaces the service as your sole streaming product, it's intended to be an add-on, which is why it costs half the price. The premise of this article is stupid.
This is what I was saying in the other thread. It's just Disney content, which is MOSTLY kid shit. No rated "R" content or even "edgy" PG-13 content. It's an add on.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I'm way more interested in Netflix shows than in disney (but Bojack is ending) , so yeah, I can relate.
It isnt about loyalty, its about content that interests me.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't follow at all from what I said, so...what?

The article is about adoption rates of a new media ecosystem, which surveys show is not a home run, and in this specific case it's not a choice between using one or the other, but using one or *both* and inertia clearly favors Netflix's position here. Maybe the browser wars comparison wasn't the best, but it's an example of customers looking past a cost/benefit analysis and just doing whatever takes the least amount of effort, which in this case means staying subscribed to netflix and not buying yet another media subscription.

I was pointing out that your browser war example isn't great because if that was the case, Chrome wouldn't be on top now. Inertia only goes so far and anyone thinking Disney would just come in and instantly kill Netflix wasn't being realistic. Netflix's large current install base will carry it for some time, but that's going to get eaten away at. Plus how can we really gauge this at this point when Disney+ isn't even on the market yet? A lot of people are just not aware and while many will stick what they're used to, mind share can easily shift away to something different and there's plenty of examples of that happening too.

What is the international rollout looking like for Hulu? And the originals slate? At this point it just doesn't seem available and there doesn't seem to be much on there. Hardly a Netflix competitor.

My speculation is Disney will push forward with Disney+ first and then start pushing on the expansion of Hulu. It's been pretty clear that Disney is looking at Disney+, Hulu and ESPN being their complete streaming strategy and that this stuff is happening in stages. So I don't know a timeline, but if they're pushing Disney+ worldwide, you can bet Hulu will follow in some form or another.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This entire discussion was derailed from the start with the bad article title.

Like, I'm "loyal" to Verizon in the sense that it's the best option for me and wouldn't be worth it to switch providers.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Company and brand loyalty is about the stupidest thing in this world... As a family we're constantly jumping between different services, enjoying the content we want when it's out and then moving on, and only coming back once enough stuff has been stockpiled.

Then again, it still baffles me that people will watch the same reruns of The Office and Friends over and over again.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I was saying in the other thread. It's just Disney content, which is MOSTLY kid shit. No rated "R" content or even "edgy" PG-13 content. It's an add on.

Disney+ is just half the picture though. Hulu is the other half. The combination of the two is what goes up against Netflix, not Disney+ alone.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This entire discussion was derailed from the start with the bad article title.

Like, I'm "loyal" to Verizon in the sense that it's the best option for me and wouldn't be worth it to switch providers.

yeah it's really just customer satisfaction

every fandom warrior thinks everyone else is a fandom warrior and that tends to be the lens for these things

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I like to imagine it's less about loyalty and more of Netflix having already proven itself and being less risky of an investment for families.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not saying this survey is biased BUT it was done by an investment firm that is super high on Netflix and is trying to find proof that Netflix is undervalued. I also can't find the details of the survey (what questions were asked, etc.) so if someone can, please post.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, Disney+ won't have R rated content? REALLY?

Hulu is not even available in my country but i guess Disney+ will for sure.

Disney has been investing in their infrastructure worldwide to roll out Disney+. Do you think they made that investment only to roll out half of their streaming strategy? Disney is going to have the other stuff coming to places where Hulu doesn't exist yet with a new service just like Disney+ is a new service worldwide.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I was pointing out that your browser war example isn't great because if that was the case, Chrome wouldn't be on top now. Inertia only goes so far and anyone thinking Disney would just come in and instantly kill Netflix wasn't being realistic. Netflix's large current install base will carry it for some time, but that's going to get eaten away at. Plus how can we really gauge this at this point when Disney+ isn't even on the market yet? A lot of people are just not aware and while many will stick what they're used to, mind share can easily shift away to something different and there's plenty of examples of that happening too.
I wasn't trying to make an argument for how inertia will keep Disney + down forever. Disney is the strongest and best funded marketing engines in the world and eventually Netflix will have to take drastic measures to stay on top. The Browser wars example was really more to do with how history played out. Netscape dominated because it was first. Then IE dominated because of changes to the dominant PC ecosystem. Then others dominated after regulatory intervention took over. Consumers just ignored arguments about 'better' and did whatever came easiest during times of transition. I was trying mostly to deal with the poor choice of 'loyalty' as the word in the article. This phenomenon has already been well observed over and over again in consumer behavior.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Company and brand loyalty is about the stupidest thing in this world... As a family we're constantly jumping between different services, enjoying the content we want when it's out and then moving on, and only coming back once enough stuff has been stockpiled.

Then again, it still baffles me that people will watch the same reruns of The Office and Friends over and over again.
I don't rewatch Friends (never watched) but I love rewatching comedy shows like The Office, Seinfeld, 30 Rock, and stuff, it's entertaining. Also Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul is fun to rewatch after a while too.