• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine staying loyal to a company you pay because they have a good ui and programming.

Can't wait for the watered down stuff on Disney Plus!

Oct 25, 2017
Considering little from Disney's catalog appeals to me I can understand why.

I really see no need to jump services at the moment.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is to Netflix what Nintendo is to Sony/Microsoft. It is not intended to be a direct competitor that replaces the service as your sole streaming product, it's intended to be an add-on, which is why it costs half the price. The premise of this article is stupid.

Lmao yeah Disney, the largest media empire on the planet, is shooting for 2nd place. And not banning Netflix ads on their own channels/services due to labeling them a direct competitor or anything. Get real. That's some pre-mature mental gymnastics if I've ever seen it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
For one, I won't be subbing to Disney+ until they make an Amazon FireTV app. But that aside, I would get that sub in addition to Netflix, because there isn't going to be much, if any overlap between those two products.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't rewatch Friends (never watched) but I love rewatching comedy shows like The Office, Seinfeld, 30 Rock, and stuff, it's entertaining. Also Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul is fun to rewatch after a while too.
If you're rewatching something you haven't seen in years, that's fine. I like replaying old games every few years. The ones I mean, are the ones who literally only watch those shows, and do so seemingly on repeat. It's apparently pretty common, and even my friends do it (they'll leave The Office on repeat in the background and get quiet when their "favorite parts" come on).

they have a good ui and programming.

You're not talking about Netflix on the good UI front are you? Because it's absolutely awful and only gotten worse. I don't need to see the same show 4 times with different thumbnails on my screen. Nor is it in any way shape or form fun to try and find all of something of a particular genre. At least on mobile phone (which I use to cast to my chromecast), it's easily the worst organized streaming service which is doubley frustrating since they have so much content.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The weird thing is that Netflix to my knowledge has no loyalty program... no "subscribe for a year and get a discount," none of that, so it's easy to drop and pick up later.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
imagine being loyal to a corporation you pay lol

Not only that, but Netflix has conditioned people to just accept the content that's given to them. Before Netlix, who would actually seek out and watch a movie like Bright? Yet because it's on Netflix and convenient, people just spend their time consuming garbage they would have never watched in any other scenario.

And instead of buying or renting, I don't know how many people I've heard (even on Era) say, "I'll just wait for it to come to Netflix". When the reality is, most content will never come to Netflix. Yet people are more than content to limit their home media consumption to whatever is on Netflix.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want Disney+ because the service lacks diverse content. Netflix built an insane library of varied content in the a decade and it's gonna take Disney+ a long time (and more effort into trying different things) before it's worth it even at that price.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're getting quoted all over but I don't think people are fans of Netflix the same way people are fans of Nintendo or Apple or even other digital entertainment providers like Steam.

Of course not. Has anyone ever met someone like "YEAAAAH NETFLIX! HULU SUCKS!!"

Go back and look at any Netflix price increase to see how many Netflix "fanboys" there are.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
imagine being loyal to a corporation you pay lol
You shouldn't have to imagine. Gaming side is right over there and there are no shortage of fanboys and girls for one console or another.

as for Netflix, honestly why would people be surprised? Netflix has a lot of great content. Certainly more than any normal subscriber could ever find enough hours in the day to work their way through. If you can't keep up with all the content on your first and primary streaming service, why add yet another service? And one that by nature feels like it's for kids?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is that Netflix to my knowledge has no loyalty program... no "subscribe for a year and get a discount," none of that, so it's easy to drop and pick up later.

Yeah, I've been subscribing since the disc service only days and they've never offered shit, heh.

I guess with success they don't need to.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only that, but Netflix has conditioned people to just accept the content that's given to them. Before Netlix, who would actually seek out and watch a movie like Bright? Yet because it's on Netflix and convenient, people just spend their time consuming garbage they would have never watched in any other scenario.

And instead of buying or renting, I don't know how many people I've heard (even on Era) say, "I'll just wait for it to come to Netflix". When the reality is, most content will never come to Netflix. Yet people are more than content to limit their home media consumption to whatever is on Netflix.

Yea. Watching the Aladin live action is definitely a step up over Bright.

Oct 27, 2017
Disney+ doesn't have much outside of their catalog and MCU + Star Wars. It's much more kid and family oriented.

Netflix actually has critically acclaimed original series and films and taps into every imaginable genre.

Not surprising. Disney+ is a threat in no shape or form.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
they would have never watched in any other scenario.
I mean, that was pretty much the entire MO of television even after 500 channels of cable came out.
The Disney+ and Hulu combined sub is still less than Netflix (which is something Disney will be offering at launch) so I'm not sure this is really true. Especially as fewer companies are going to be renewing their content for Netflix, at least exclusively. The big syndicated TV shows are all leaving in the next couple years for example.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

people really are in a bubble on here when choosing to spend less money on fewer services is talked about like some kind of weird occult shit lmao

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao yeah Disney, the largest media empire on the planet, is shooting for 2nd place. And not banning Netflix ads on their own channels/services due to labeling them a direct competitor or anything. Get real. That's some pre-mature mental gymnastics if I've ever seen it.

Disney has stated, in investor calls, that they don't believe Disney+ can or will completely supersede Netflix because the content they're offering is different enough and not nearly as numerous. It won't even be physically possible for Disney+ to supersede Netflix for years because Disney+ won't be available in as many countries as Netflix is. And of course they aren't showing Netflix ads because no matter how different your value proposition, it's still stupid to provide advertising for any product that can cut into your own.

As I said earlier, the biggest threat to Netflix right now is its own loss of content to other companies (including Disney). Disney doesn't have to directly attack Netflix to defeat them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The Disney+ and Hulu combined sub is still less than Netflix (which is something Disney will be offering at launch) so I'm not sure this is really true. Especially as fewer companies are going to be renewing their content for Netflix, at least exclusively. The big syndicated TV shows are all leaving in the next couple years for example.
I think that in the end Netflix is going to live or die by their exclusive content. Which the premium cable channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. have been doing forever.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
This is better defined as inertia. "Loyalty" is the result.

Netflix works for a majority of people who subscribe to Netflix (and has for a while), so they'd rather stick with it than sift through all the other options just to ultimately end up paying more.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You don't need to go to gaming to find plenty of corporation fanboys.
No doubt. But being a member of a gaming forum and feigning surprise about corporate fanboyism is like the very height of irony. 75% of any gaming-aligned forum is full of Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/Steam/whatever fanboys and/or apologists. It's part of the experience, whether people admit they are biased or not.

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix doesn't have loyalty deals because T-Mobile has them wrapped up in their only little money-saving phone plans. I won't abandon Netflix, but they need to look long and hard at their pricing compared to Disney's offerings. I pay 13/month because I'm too lazy to swap out The Office discs.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

While Disney is by no means guaranteed to win the streaming wars, I find this thinking to be even more bizarre. Disney is an absolute threat and should be taken seriously. You can bet the people at Netflix are treating them as such. Disney owns so many companies and IPs that they can leverage that go beyond just Star Wars and Marvel and to discount them as a threat is incredibly naive and not understanding how wide of a reach Disney has.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think that in the end Netflix is going to live or die by their exclusive content. Which the premium cable channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. have been doing forever.
Oh yeah, Netflix as a service isn't going to go anywhere. I'm just not sure that in a few years it'll be the top dog like it is, especially if they continue to be the highest charging streaming service.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
people really are in a bubble on here when choosing to spend less money on fewer services is talked about like some kind of weird occult shit lmao

It's not like you can get invested in a streaming ecosystem. Regardless if you subscribe for a month or for 5 years, the price is always the same. It IS strange to stay loyal to a single service indefinitely when you can switch between services and different media consumption habits at will and for around the same price point. No one has to have 20 subscriptions at the same time.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D+ is cheap enough that a lot of people can just do both, right? I mean at less than 10/month it's not really an either/or situation.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh yeah, Netflix as a service isn't going to go anywhere. I'm just not sure that in a few years it'll be the top dog like it is, especially if they continue to be the highest charging streaming service.
Considering their willingness to invest in their content, they probably will be. That will change on the day they begin to tighten the purse strings. They have to be willing to invest and get better.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Disney is perfectly happy being a 2nd or even 3rd option. They just want to be in that home.

I've seen user polls in Disney Plus communities asking if they are keeping or dropping Netflix etc, and large majority said keeping Netflix and Adding Disney Plus.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I would say something about wanting to restrict how much of my money goes directly to Disney, but I already have a Hulu subscription.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Considering their willingness to invest in their content, they probably will be. That will change on the day they begin to tighten the purse strings.
I think they already have been doing that to a certain extent. I can't remember where I read it, but there's an article discussing how so many shows on Netflix are being cancelled as a way of keeping costs down since contract extensions increase the cost to produce a show. They do this because they bank on throwing other new content at you that they hope the viewers will move on to during the gap between seasons and they keep doing this to move you on to other content to lessen the blow of cancelling shows. If that is true, I think that strategy is going to burn them in a long run as people grow tired of shows they like always getting cancelled especially if they're done in a premature way without a proper conclusion. Now clearly it's not done for every show such as the big hitters like Stranger Things, but it certainly seems reasonable with how many Netflix "originals" they keep trying to throw at you. I also feel like this churn of trying to pump a ton of content is also taking an impact on their quality. It feels like a lot of things are not hitting like it used to be in their earlier days.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think they already have been doing that to a certain extent. I can't remember where I read it, but there's an article discussing how so many shows on Netflix are being cancelled as a way of keeping costs down since contract extensions increase the cost to produce a show. They do this because they bank on throwing other new content at you that they hope the viewers will move on to during the gap between seasons and they keep doing this to move you on to other content to lessen the blow of cancelling shows. If that is true, I think that strategy is going to burn them in a long run as people grow tired of shows they like always getting cancelled especially if they're done in a premature way without a proper conclusion. Now clearly it's not done for every show such as the big hitters like Stranger Things, but it certainly seems reasonable with how many Netflix "originals" they keep trying to throw at you. I also feel like this churn of trying to pump a ton of content is also taking an impact on their quality. It feels like a lot of things are not hitting like it used to be in their earlier days.
Yea them cancelling good shows when it comes time to pay talent will be the reason they stall out. There are several shows that I really enjoyed that didn't get a proper ending, and many other shows that I worry will not get one in the future.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like you can get invested in a streaming ecosystem. Regardless if you subscribe for a month or for 5 years, the price is always the same. It IS strange to stay loyal to a single service indefinitely when you can switch between services and different media consumption habits at will and for around the same price point. No one has to have 20 subscriptions at the same time.

it's really not that strange even if only given the teensiest, tiniest amount of thought

but it is kind of funny that your walk back trades an increased financial investment for an increased time and energy investment. maybe people just want to sub to netflix and not have to deal with all that shit. maybe swapping between services is a hurdle that can be seen as unnecessary. maybe keeping up with what's where when is a hurdle that can be seen as unnecessary. you know, simple shit.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I mean, that was pretty much the entire MO of television even after 500 channels of cable came out.

Good luck selling people on advertisements in their streaming service.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

If they carefully plan shows to only last two or three seasons then I don't think it's a problem necessarily. I do think there are diminishing returns on long series as they inevitably not only become more expensive but they also lose steam, both creatively and in the burden it takes for someone new to catch on (unless there is just incredible buzz).

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I look at it as more Supply and Demand.

Netflix is supplying consistent releases of original content that has continued to interest me on a month to month basis over the last like 3 years. As of right now, all Disney+ has going for me is The Mandalorian at launch. I have no interesting in rewatching disney films or TV shows I've already seen, I have no interest in marathoning the Infinity Saga or Star Wars. I have mild interest in the MCU shows, but im taking a wait and see approach to those which i was pretty much what I did for Daredevil on Netflix. if it turns out that those shows are actually amazing, than I may jump on the bandwagon. Netflix has already proved to me they can release interesting and (sometimes) quality content.

If Disney+ can at least prove their content is at least interesting on a consistent basis, im sure Ill jump in.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix has a little bit of everything, that's why I'll keep subscribing. Disney+ is too focused on family friendly content for me to very interested. If I had kids it would be a different situation.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disney has stated, in investor calls, that they don't believe Disney+ can or will completely supersede Netflix because the content they're offering is different enough and not nearly as numerous. It won't even be physically possible for Disney+ to supersede Netflix for years because Disney+ won't be available in as many countries as Netflix is. And of course they aren't showing Netflix ads because no matter how different your value proposition, it's still stupid to provide advertising for any product that can cut into your own.

As I said earlier, the biggest threat to Netflix right now is its own loss of content to other companies (including Disney). Disney doesn't have to directly attack Netflix to defeat them.

Of course Disney+ isn't going to immediately overtake Netflix. Anyone with any business sense, which Disney obviously has plenty of, knows that. Netflix is far far too established. But they sure would love to with time. To label Disney as the "Nintendo" (who has even been cooperating with a direct competitor, Microsoft, as of late) of streaming wars is absolutely absurd. Disney+, especially with it's Hulu/ESPN affiliations, is going to be Netflix's single biggest direct competitor in the streaming market, which is why they are setting it up to be exactly that. They are here to win, not just to be another streaming service. Whether it's through direct attacks or indirect attacks is irrelevant.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. Watching the Aladin live action is definitely a step up over Bright.
Haha wow. I'm now wondering where Gemini Man will fall.

If you're rewatching something you haven't seen in years, that's fine. I like replaying old games every few years. The ones I mean, are the ones who literally only watch those shows, and do so seemingly on repeat. It's apparently pretty common, and even my friends do it (they'll leave The Office on repeat in the background and get quiet when their "favorite parts" come on).
For comedy I'm in the latter. Having a playlist with a type of shuffle feels like I have my own cable network of good shows in random order to jump in on.

For dramas with a important story to follow I wait until it's been a while and I'm suddenly interested in starting over, especially with someone that hasn't seen it yet.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
We're dropping Netflix after we finish a re-run of the Office. There isn't enough anymore to justify a monthly payment. Plus I'm a Disney fangirl so I'll be content with just Disney+.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Disney+'s biggest failing is its lack of diverse entertainment. If you dont like cartoons, comic books or Star Wars, what do they got? Not much. Netflix simply has more interesting content. So does Amazon for that matter. But Disney's advantage is they also have Hulu, which has much more interesting content than D+.
This is where I'm at. Disney+ content is ok, but not "another sub" ok. At least for me. However, I also sub to Hulu+ and I believe it's sort of being rolled into D+ somehow, so likely I'll end up with Netflix & D+ vs today in Netflix & Hulu+.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Disney+ has shown me nothing yet that I'd trade for Dolemite, El Camino, The Irishman, Klaus, Marriage Story, and 6 Underground. All coming out in the next couple of months on Netflix. And that list doesn't include their original series. I'm not loyal to the name. I'm loyal to that content, and the fact that every month they continue to drop trailers for stuff I had no idea existed but will be released soon.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix being the first isn't the only reason they're still dominant, in this age of streaming we now have multiple options... but there is 2 reasons why it's on top. The variety in the library is a big one (just because someone in ERA doesn't like the library doesn't mean it's not varied and large). Also... the quality of life features Netflix has, no one else even comes close and is a big reason why people chose to stay on Netflix... they make everything easier via QoL. I think people underestimate the impact of QoL and the impact on people sticking with a service. The amount of QoL for non-english content is (for the most) part really well done. It's rare that I find a movie that only has 1 native language and 1-2 subtitle options, and even if it is, I've seen them add multiple language options down the line (which is the definition of QoL).

A small example of a QoL feature I have seen in netflix sponsored anime. Ever try watching an English dub with English sub-titles? If you ever tried, you will get english sub-titles that don't match what's being spoken, this happens pretty much every streaming service I've ever subbed to. On Netflix however, you will sometimes see an option for "English" and "English SDH", which the second option will match what the dub says. Something fairly recently I saw (non-anime related), was separation of specific Spanish dubs. I saw a show where "Spanish" was not the only option... there was a clear distinction that said "Spanish - European" and "Spanish - South American", something that's not essential but a very nice QoL to have.

Why am I mentioning language options so much? It's a huge deal, the earth doesn't revolve on the english language, if you make things easier for non-english speakers to consume entertainment they way they want to do it... you're going to have a large established base where no one else can compete in terms of content.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yea them cancelling good shows when it comes time to pay talent will be the reason they stall out. There are several shows that I really enjoyed that didn't get a proper ending, and many other shows that I worry will not get one in the future.

I think Netflix has a real problem that's creeping up on them. If they have issues with paying for retaining talent on shows now when their monthly price is at a higher price point than the competition, where do they have left to go? Raising prices are going to anger people and drive people away. The more shows they cancel over time is going to eat at people's trust in being able to invest into a show and then eventually drive people away. Losing license content is going to drive people away.

While not having to pay for license content will certainly compensate a bit with their ability to spend more on their own content, I'm not quite sure it's sustainable. So you're in a situation where losing members means you get less money and yet in some ways they need to spend more to keep content going. It may not happen right away, but they need to figure out how to deal with it.

By no means am I suggesting Netflix is going to die or anything, but I really do think their dominance is at risk. Netflix always said they need to become HBO faster than HBO becomes Netflix and I'm not quite sure they are there yet while the competition who owns a significant amount of the content on their service is coming in fast.