• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SerTapTap

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff. The outrage party was clearly raised in bad faith (Daily Caller started it, probably saw him as an "SJW to take down")

OP
OP
Strafer

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Can a mod add that he's still doing SS2 in the thread title?

so not to confuse the posters

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder of what Gunn told Buzzfeed around a year before he was fired

"I protect myself by writing scenes where people shoot people in the face," Gunn said, chuckling. "And if I have to think around shooting someone in the face, it's harder, but I think it's more rewarding for me." He cleared his throat. "I felt like Guardians forced me into a much deeper way of thinking about, you know, my relationship to people, I suppose. I was a very nasty guy on Twitter. It was a lot fucking edgy, in-your-face, dirty stuff. I suddenly was working for Marvel and Disney, and that didn't seem like something I could do anymore. I thought that that would be a hindrance on my life. But the truth was it was a big, huge opening for me. I realized, a lot of that stuff is a way that I push away people. When I was forced into being this" — he moved his hand over his chest — "I felt more fully myself."

And what's "this"?

"Sensitive, I guess?" he said. "Positive. I mean, I really do love people. And by not having jokes to make about whatever was that offensive topic of the week, that forced me into just being who I really was, which was a pretty positive person. It felt like a relief."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy

That and the fact that he hadn't made those jokes in nearly a decade really showed how much he changed. Whenever people are actively showing you they're trying to be a better person then they shouldn't be punished for things they've said in the past. So it's good that Disney finally came around on this.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Huh.

My feeling was that his tweets were legit extremely bad at an age where he should be more accountable for them, but also fuck Cernovich. So I have slightly mixed feelings on this but I'm happy to see such people fail in the end.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they finally realized just how important GotG are for the next phase of Avengers, they cannot fuck it up.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Alan Horn: "Hey Dave, let's talk-"
Dave Bautista: "No, I've had enough. Fuck you. Fuck your wife. Fuck your kids. Fuck all a ya'll, I'm out. I never liked you anyway. I scratched your car outside by the way haha. Peace!"
Alan: "...I just wanted to say we've re-hired Gunn."
Dave: "..."
Alan: "..."

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Out of nowhere.
It's still a disgrace that Disney caved to an alt-right smear campaign, but at least they corrected themselves later. Hope this doesn't trouble the development of Guardians 3 too much.
Wonder what forced Disney to make this turnabout.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Hell yes!!

Fuck, I can't believe they did it. Man, can't wait.

It's the right thing to do. Amazing.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit.

I was holding out hope that the reason Suicide Squad 2 was starting production so soon despite being two years away was to create space for Gunn to come back on GOTG3, but still didn't actually expect this to happen. Great news.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I think he legit has no hard feelings and was ready to accept whatever came to him, because I believe he was genuinely remorseful and understood that actions have consequences, as do words.
That's true. I wonder if both the studios would allow him to work on competing comic properties simultaneously. Probably doesn't matter. It's not like this is the videogame industry lol

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I did not believe my homeboy's text that he was back but damn I'm elated it's true. Can't wait!

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THANK GOD

I was worried whoever they picked to replace him would lose Gunns sense of soul and love he clearly has for these characters

Great news

Oct 25, 2017
bde7147c7861dc75b3f524aedf73bb5cb64ec047_00.gif

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
So how do the people on Era that were glad he got fired feel about this?

Those were some trash tweets but it happened so long ago and he also apologised years ago, glad the executives caved.. Nearly a year later...

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This is really exciting news. I also can't deny being glad to see Cernovich so blatantly salty. Get bent, lmao.