• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
Suprised I got an email from change.org. I thought they closed it since nothing really happened then I saw this! Watching vol2 to celebrate.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Big Dave outside of Disney every night since Gunn was fired.
giphy.gif

TrainerLyra

Jun 21, 2018
Heck yeah!!! Words can't convey how excited I feel about this! I know it's just Disney movies. There are more important issues. But Gunn brought a unique flavor and heart to these stories, these characters that made the films something beautiful. That tiny victory is something some of us need right now. Heck I'm elated!! Here's to hoping Guardians 3 succeeds in building on the themes and arcs of it's predecessor!

It's nice to see the acknowledgement that people can change and be forgiven too.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The guy sincerely apologized for his tweets that were made over 10 years ago and has actually changed. If we do not accept the fact people make mistakes and are willingly changing themselves for the better, we as a society are fucked.
What's more, he had apologized and changed his ways long before the firing, not in response to it. Compare the right wingers who suddenly go "this was long ago, I'm sorry if YOU were offended" when they get caught.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man, it must feel good to be a superhero fan right now. DC is making some really good moves right now. Marvel is continuing to roll their massive momentum. Sony got their shit together for Spiderman in the best possible way. Fox is... umm.. getting aquired by Disney soon. Great times for all, and almost everyone in the industry looks to be good sports about it :)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The guy sincerely apologized for his tweets that were made over 10 years ago and has actually changed. If we do not accept the fact people make mistakes and are willingly changing themselves for the better, we as a society are fucked.
It was sad to see that their were, and still are, people who seem to believe that Gunn should not be forgiven for his jokes. I guess some just don't believe in the concept of forgiving, second chances or just that humans are capable of changing.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
This is excellent news. Guardians 2 is easily one of the best Marvel movies and it was such a bummer to hear 3 might suffer because of this.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not looking but let me guess

Alt-right shit: "Disney supports pedos everyone!!"
The same alt-right shit: "Excuse me, my anime girl is really 1000 years old"
Wasn't Cernovich one of the guys pestering Disney over Gunn's tweets, and he had a past of stanning for pedo shit himself? Yeah, don't be quick to see these alt-right guys as virtuous, immaculate pillars of rightness if they point out flaws with left-leaning folk, because the shit they've got hiding in their closets are likely 100x worse. It's the whole projecting thing, they all do it, just like their asshole-in-chief.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta imagine Disney upped his contract some because of all this shit and he had the public on his side, his whole cast, all other directors and he got the Suicide Squad gig. Everything worked out for the better.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow! Thank you Dave :)

This is a completely unexpected turn of events at this point, but it's seriously good that it happened for everyone involved. After setting one of the worst precedents in the industry, Disney somehow course corrected and sets a pretty good one with his re-hireing.

I'm looking forward to Gunns end to his trilogy and hopefully he's able to influence the cosmic side of the MCU going forward.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. What a pleasant surprise.

Firing him was a massive mistake, and I'm glad to see that even a corporation like Disney is capable of (i.e. can be pressured into) course correction.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thinking on this a bit more the whole situation was ridiculous. Sure James picked up another job with DC/WB but it's thrown out all of Marvel/Disney's plans they had going and set them back only to then get him back later on when they could have just kept him and stayed the course (where I think they would be currently filming GOTG3) and not reacted to a bunch of fake outrage in the first place.

Now they have to wait until he's finished doing whatever he signed up for in the period they got rid of him, making GOTG3 delayed from what the original plans were if they didn't react so stupidly about it all.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Oh shit, I thought hope was lost by now. I'm so glad Disney did the right thing after their absurd reactionary response to a professional troll's politically motivated attack on Gunn.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I searched his old twits. Gross. Even if he truly changed i think is bad to hire this dude again.
Do you have any decade old mistakes you'd like to reveal for us so that we can judge you and screw with your livelihood as though you're exactly the same person, and no amount of personal growth or sincere apologies matter at all? Grow up.

Oct 25, 2017
This is *probably* the right decision.

Alt-right hit job or not, the remarks he made were pretty abhorrent. I'd bet Fox News would be all over it had their parent company just not sold most everything to Disney. I hope no one has anything more lying in wait for this moment.

However, reading the Deadline report, his contrition was also very on point and very human. I sincerely hope this is the beginning of the end of outright cancel culture, and we'll lay the pitchforks down for a moment and understand most people who do stupid things in the past typically don't have the same level of stupidity in them in the present.
Like his comments were pretty well-known and he'd apologized for them multiple times in the past and obviously Disney knew about them when they hired him, so nothing about the whole deal ever felt like anything but the most transparently manufactured hit job in the world.

I mean obviously someone apologizing does not mean anyone has to forgive but idk.