• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I wonder how much they will tweak the script once the Fox characters come back in. Even an offhand mention of the Shi'ar or Silver Surfer's destroyed home planet.

This also leaves open the door for him to direct Thunderbolts. Thank god.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Do you have any decade old mistakes you'd like to reveal for us so that we can judge you and screw with your livelihood as though you're exactly the same person, and no amount of personal growth or sincere apologies matter at all? Grow up.
You're right. Admitting you've made a mistake and correcting is a pointless endeavor that only shows weakness--Weird how this sarcastic sentences applies to Gunn and Disney now.

Sure 🙄

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry, but until you reveal some of those past mistakes I can't tar and feather you as a terrible person and out you to your employer, omitting all the years of your life since.

Have you ever said a racist, sexist, homophobic, or small minded thing that you would never utter today? I'm going to need to know all about that stuff so I can berate you for it.

It would also help if you would insult a politician I like, so I have a good motive to get revenge. Um, I mean, the do the public a service by revealing your true self (from the past).

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
When did Bautista stopped pushing for Gunn again? Maybe that was the time it was decided to re-hire him internally.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
I wonder how much they will tweak the script once the Fox characters come back in. Even an offhand mention of the Shi'ar or Silver Surfer's destroyed home planet.

This also leaves open the door for him to direct Thunderbolts. Thank god.
I suspect his pitch might've been turned into Suicide Squad 2 given the similarity in the premise.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had a feeling this would happen. Being fired for making jokes in poor taste years ago was a silly reason to let go of a creative type, and Disney was rightly criticized for it. If they didn't set things right it would have possibly dissuaded others from working with them in the future (as well as being the company that fired a beloved director at the behest of alt-right trolls and those prone to be outraged by everything).

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao

I do wonder what prompted Disney to do this, though. Or maybe they'd already planned to hire him back once the "scandal" blew over?
Replacing him was always a doomed endeavor. No other MCU property is intrinsically linked to its director the way GOTG is to Gunn, they're his passion project and it shows, in the tone, style, humour, etc. Others like Thor had different directors, writers (and a wildly different take in its third film), Cap was reinvented in his second film and kind of taken ownership of by the Russos (though Markus/McFeely wrote his whole trilogy), and so on. If you dropped Peyton Reed from an Ant-Man 3, that wouldn't really be a problem even though he did a good job and all with the first two. Other directors leave their stamps on their MCU but GOTG was different. Especially Vol. 2, that film clearly had so much of Gunn's personal passion poured into it.

A third film with another director, trying probably to imitate Gunn's style, would be doomed from the beginning and everyone knew it. Even if they went ahead with it, they'd go through the motions knowing this won't be the complete trilogy it was shaping up to be and would inevitably be mixed in reception. It's not like Thor where you could lurch off into a brand new take in the third film either, after the first two were meddling and lacking a spark.

In short I imagine they always wanted to keep him, or bring him back later if the whole thing blew over enough.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
can't fucking wait!!

277.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wonder if Rocket will pick up a Switch for Groot while he's on Earth for when the whole thing's over with Endgame.