• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Not being pedophile its enough.

There is no evidence to suggest James Gunn is a child rapist. What there is evidence for is James Gunn making crass, gross jokes that leverage paedophilia for shock value. He is not alone in this behaviour nor exclusive, and we know this humour is generally leveraged by people attempting shock and appal their audience. It's a subset of humour. I've done it in the past. Many others have as well, utilising jokes where the punchline cites murder, rape, paedophilia, racism, or some other extremely controversial, counter-culture, politically incorrect trope or topic. I know a baby/fridge joke that I'd tell in my teens that I'm sure this version of Gunn would have found hilarious.

Gunn has since gone on record to discuss this brand of humour (again, let's identify that this style of humour is not exclusive to Gunn, did not originate with Gunn, is not propagated exclusively by Gunn), and how he has grown as a person since. Gunn's brand of humour dating back about a 8 - 10 years and his career trajectory revolved around deliberately gross, controversial jokes and punchlines aimed at unsettling people and stirring the pot. He openly discussed how he sees futility in this style of humour in his later years, the pointlessness of it all, and the obliviousness towards those who may be negatively impacted by it.

Not only recognising his actions and public image, he made several clear, conscious efforts to rectify his behaviour over the years. He has demonstrated himsefl as a person not only acknowledging and admitting of guilt to the humour he subjected people too and the potential ramifications of it, but growth as an individual to the betterment of his own audience.

The website you linked to is run by Mike Cernovich, a hard right nationalist and prominent supporter of Donald Trump and the Republican parties values (multiplied to extremetities). He actively opposes all forms of liberalism, feminism, and racial equality. He believes date rape does not exist (and is a rapist himself), and that there is an ongoing white race genocide that must be combated. He is a vocal mouthpiece for alt-right white nationalist values and ideologies.

Gunn has, for a very long time now, been an open advocate for the exact opposite values. He is pro equality, heavily liberal, and openly anti-Trump. It is not surprise that Cernovich penned a hit piece on Gunn, the latter representing the exact political opposition of ideologies he embodies.

Whether or not you or I or anybody else finds Gunn's decade old jokes funny or shocking is irrelevant to the claim that Gunn is a paedophile, of which Cernovich so brazingly parrots. Emotional outrage is not evidence. Ideologically fuelled hit pieces are not evidence. A fridge/baby joke cited years ago does not make me a paedophile. Doesn't make Gunn one either.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Time to get back on topic.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during the first day of shooting Guardians 3.

I imagine it will be an incredibly emotional day.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I linked because it hve it the twits from Gunn. Not because cernovich.
tenor.gif

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
There is no evidence to suggest James Gunn is a child rapist. What there is evidence for is James Gunn making crass, gross jokes that leverage paedophilia for shock value. He is not alone in this behaviour nor exclusive, and we know this humour is generally leveraged by people attempting shock and appal their audience. It's a subset of humour. I've done it in the past. Many others have as well, utilising jokes where the punchline cites murder, rape, paedophilia, racism, or some other extremely controversial, counter-culture, politically incorrect trope or topic. I know a baby/fridge joke that I'd tell in my teens that I'm sure this version of Gunn would have found hilarious.

Gunn has since gone on record to discuss this brand of humour (again, let's identify that this style of humour is not exclusive to Gunn, did not originate with Gunn, is not propagated exclusively by Gunn), and how he has grown as a person since. Gunn's brand of humour dating back about a 8 - 10 years and his career trajectory revolved around deliberately gross, controversial jokes and punchlines aimed at unsettling people and stirring the pot. He openly discussed how he sees futility in this style of humour in his later years, the pointlessness of it all, and the obliviousness towards those who may be negatively impacted by it.

Not only recognising his actions and public image, he made several clear, conscious efforts to rectify his behaviour over the years. He has demonstrated himsefl as a person not only acknowledging and admitting of guilt to the humour he subjected people too and the potential ramifications of it, but growth as an individual to the betterment of his own audience.

The website you linked to is run by Mike Cernovich, a hard right nationalist and prominent supporter of Donald Trump and the Republican parties values (multiplied to extremetities). He actively opposes all forms of liberalism, feminism, and racial equality. He believes date rape does not exist (and is a rapist himself), and that there is an ongoing white race genocide that must be combated. He is a vocal mouthpiece for alt-right white nationalist values and ideologies.

Gunn has, for a very long time now, been an open advocate for the exact opposite values. He is pro equality, heavily liberal, and openly anti-Trump. It is not surprise that Cernovich penned a hit piece on Gunn, the latter representing the exact political opposition of ideologies he embodies.

Whether or not you or I or anybody else finds Gunn's decade old jokes funny or shocking is irrelevant to the claim that Gunn is a paedophile, of which Cernovich so brazingly parrots. Emotional outrage is not evidence. Ideologically fuelled hit pieces are not evidence. A fridge/baby joke cited years ago does not make me a paedophile. Doesn't make Gunn one either.

Dang, you put in the effort. You shouldn't have had to, but thanks for going so far to explain the situation to those who haven't educated themselves.

To those who still haven't educated themselves: educate yourselves.

Bartalome

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Dang, you put in the effort. You shouldn't have had to, but thanks for going so far to explain the situation to those who haven't educated themselves.

Nah, it's far easier to join the club and be offended. Thank god for the ignore function. This place is in very bad state…

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

I figured the guy was trolling and just trying to stir shit, but I'd still rather confront it with the facts as they are.

I loathe this attitude online of 1) branding a person with accusations based on literally no actual evidence, just to incite hysteria and controversy, and 2) denying a person redemption and failing to recognise their ownership and growth.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
For people who have really active opening night crowds for these movies, I'm fully expecting a cheer from the audience once 'Directed by James Gunn' appears on-screen.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I figured the guy was trolling and just trying to stir shit, but I'd still rather confront it with the facts as they are.

I loathe this attitude online of 1) branding a person with accusations based on literally no actual evidence, just to incite hysteria and controversy, and 2) denying a person redemption and failing to recognise their ownership and growth.

To be fair, very few people in such a spotlight actually truly apologize. It's rare.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We all made bad jokes kn the past but thats before growing up. Seems like a good guy nowdays.

Happy that he is back for GotG 3.

The whole past posting thing of Twitter will soon disappear i guess

Nov 1, 2017
Whoa! The Mouse admitted it's mistake.

So, gunn is making both Suicide Squad and GOTG3. Nice!

My Satisfaction is immeasurable and my day is saved.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anyone watch Grace Randolph video about this? I'm aware for quite some time now that she really revel on stroking the flame war and like to keep controversy going.

She keep bringing up that Marvel never actually fire Gunn after all, dismiss the second chances narrative because according to her, Gunn was never fired. And start questioning about Disney core values etc, all while saying that it's okay because money and Disney is just luke any other studio

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone watch Grace Randolph video about this? I'm aware for quite some time now that she really revel on stroking the flame war and like to keep controversy going.

She keep bringing up that Marvel never actually fire Gunn after all, dismiss the second chances narrative because according to her, Gunn was never fired. And start questioning about Disney core values etc, all while saying that it's okay because money and Disney is just luke any other studio

She is a DC fangirl so its hard for her to take unbias stand in Marvel vs DC subjects matters. If Disney didn't fire Gunn he wouldn't be offered the SS2 gig anyway.

edit: I watched the video. She had a couple good points. Gunn is kind of like a Disney spy working for DCEU at this point. But OTOH the Suicide Squat brand is so damaged WB might as well let Gunn's talent and his media attention save SS.

Last edited:

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017

She is salty because Disney fired her and did not bother to invite her back.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
Awww yeah. This is awesome news.

I hope the third movie will be as good as the first two to make a perfect trilogy :D.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I appreciate you taking the time, it's nice to have a concise summary as a reminder of what exactly happened.
this is the most definite more masterful masterpiece

I can't believe I never saw this, that's amazing!