• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Seems Disney did but it and then had buyers remorse.
That's how it seems, which is what caused the upset against Disney as a reaction to his firing, though it's being reported that a replacement director was never even considered, so this may have just been an intentional way for Disney to step back from the situation temporarily.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong it was a good movie. But not better than the first in my opinion. Not even close.
I'm with you. Think the first one is much better. The second one had a really bad script. Not very funny and characters who just could not stop talking about how emotionally damaged they are. I get it, I don't need the film to continuously let me know how Rocket is a real softie beneath his irascible exterior or how Yondu is so much like Rocket, coming straight from the characters mouth themselves. That's just one example of the many character interactions in the film. I also didn't like the visuals in this that much. Ego's planet may have been deliberately designed to look like a garish painting but that doesn't change the fact that it looks garish.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get me wrong it was a good movie. But not better than the first in my opinion. Not even close.
Depends on how you approach the movie I guess. I followed GOTG from the initial announcement all the way to its final trailer, and I find the movie itself is just ok. From the trailers and premise, I expected something alot better than just a basic "how the team get together". Doesn't help that the fight sequence is wayyy inferior to Winter Soldier released a few months prior.

V2 is better to me because it nailed the strong character and emotional moment (for multiple characters even), something I wanted from the first movie. It even replaced the action of only consisting fight sequence with flashier set pieces, and it greatly helps hiding Gunn's weak spot.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
So wait, not only does James get to play around with the DC universe, but enough time will have passed that he'll also have access to Silver Surfer, Galactus, Annihilus, and whoever else is in the cosmic end of the marvel universe that was locked away because of Fox?

Literally best case scenario happened?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
In more positive things

This is arguably the best scene in both movies

Not a fan tbh. It turns a massacre into a cool scene. I mean I get it, it's an action comic book film and killing off the bad guys is par for the course but this scene is a bit too celebratory for my taste. I understand the appeal though, it's a likeable character showing off the extent of their powers.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm confused, why is everyone cheering his return? He gets a pass for his offensive Tweets but others don't? What am I missing here because obviously, I am missing something.

Edit:
I just reread those Tweets and they are awful! This forum pick and choose who to accept and forgive based on what?

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The character arcs are better defined and Vol 2 has a heavier emotional payoff. Seriously watch it again. Also the movie is straight beautiful with it's colors as opposed to Vol 1 with it's muted color palette at times.

I've watched it plenty of times. Its a good Marvel movie. Just not better than the first one in my opinion.

Agree to disagree.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Not a fan tbh. It turns a massacre into a cool scene. I mean I get it, it's an action comic book film and killing off the bad guys is par for the course but this scene is a bit too celebratory for my taste.
I mean, isn't that the whole premise of movies like John Wick?

Don't think the movie is at fault here.
I'm confused, why is everyone cheering his return? He gets a pass for his offensive Tweets but others don't? What am I missing here because obviously, I am missing something.
I dunno, his tweets were bad, but if people can't get the chance to change and redeem themselves (which he seemed to have done), why bother and calling them out on it, you know? At least that's how I feel.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I recall making a joke about they fire him to punish, but rehire a year later to say he's learned a lesson.

Same as before, Disney did what it needed to do. Disney once again did what it needed to do.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_oyo3bb8SNd1uwl6nzo1_500.gif

Good to hear.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
why did he get a pass for being a sick pervert again?

Okay, so I now know the tweets were old and he has since apologized and shown growth so I redact my comment.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
why did he get a pass for being a sick pervert again?

Because his tweets were made as tasteless jokes when he worked as a director for a company whose films were almost entirely about edgelord shock value. Does that excuse them? No. But they were years ago, and he didn't try hide them. In fact, he talked about why he kept them up, to show who he used to be versus the person he'd become. He never lashed out when any of this went down originally, and handled it with a great deal of maturity, not making excuses for himself or what he said in the past.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Maybe because he apologized for it about a decade ago, showed contrition, and his work reflected his growth.
Because his tweets were made as tasteless jokes when he worked as a director for a company whose films were almost entirely about edgelord shock value. Does that excuse them? No. But they were years ago, and he didn't try hide them. In fact, he talked about why he kept them up, to show who he used to be versus the person he'd become. He never lashed out when any of this went down originally, and handled it with a great deal of maturity, not making excuses for himself or what he said in the past.
Fair enough. I agree people should be given the chance to better themselves. If that's what has happened then good for him.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Because an edgy joke is not a reflection of his actual views and doesn't show him to be a "sick pervert". Just like the fact that I don't have a dead baby in my garage, despite once telling a joke to the contrary.
I get it. To be honest, I hadn't really followed much of the story other than hearing he made some pedo type jokes and said some homophobic stuff in a blog post. I probably shouldn't have jumped in with my "sick pervert" comment. I'll edit it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to you to lay out how people are supposed to move past this kind of behavior and grow? Do you even want them to or do you want to bolt them to the past as if they are stuck in time, unable to change?
Nigga was fucking 40 when he made those tweets. Like what kind of dude makes those types of sick joke.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017

This. Also, he actually backed up his proclaimed change with action. OVER YEARS. More than the crocodile tear army can say. And he still handled it all with aplomb when he was originally fired.

If people are going to poke holes in this and claim "HIVE MIND HYPOCRISY?!", at least use some nuance and know the actual details when trying to be obtuse af.

Also, this doesn't mean you have to personally like him anymore. Don't pretend to not understand the reason why, though.

And yes, depending on the offence and the person's actions thereafter *over years*, they should be offered a second chance. There are red lines based on damage done but yeah.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Nigga was fucking 40 when he made those tweets. Like what kind of dude makes those types of sick joke.
It was basically a decade ago. I've been following Gunn since the Troma days. I've seen him apologize and change his behavior and grow over a period of years, before this was dragged back up last year. His apologies have been about as good as you could write and his behavior after them has been completely consistent with those apologies.

I can only presume you don't believe anyone can ever change, ever. Because otherwise I'm not sure what more someone could ever do to convince you they had grown into a different person. Even in their forties.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019

Literally changes nothing about my post. You seem to think there is some age where people magically get it all together and become perfect, too bad that ain't how real life is. People can change and grow towards a better version of themselves at any age.