• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
People who continue to come in here and attack Gunn over a past he clearly regretted and then spent a decade making up for are pretty transparent. You're not fooling anyone.

We should have threadmarks for this shit.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder what happens with the actor contracts, my understanding is due to the delay all of them got released? Hopefully all of them get paid and sign up for another one.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder what happens with the actor contracts, my understanding is due to the delay all of them got released? Hopefully all of them get paid and sign up for another one.
No. Everybody's still under contract for at least one more solo movie, which is GotG3. Marvel Studios actors usually sign up for at least 3 solos and further cameo appearances. Dave Bautista really wanted out of his contract since he had signed up to do a trilogy with James Gunn. But his contract didn't have a clause to release him if the director got fired.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is no evidence to suggest James Gunn is a child rapist. What there is evidence for is James Gunn making crass, gross jokes that leverage paedophilia for shock value. He is not alone in this behaviour nor exclusive, and we know this humour is generally leveraged by people attempting shock and appal their audience. It's a subset of humour. I've done it in the past. Many others have as well, utilising jokes where the punchline cites murder, rape, paedophilia, racism, or some other extremely controversial, counter-culture, politically incorrect trope or topic. I know a baby/fridge joke that I'd tell in my teens that I'm sure this version of Gunn would have found hilarious.

Gunn has since gone on record to discuss this brand of humour (again, let's identify that this style of humour is not exclusive to Gunn, did not originate with Gunn, is not propagated exclusively by Gunn), and how he has grown as a person since. Gunn's brand of humour dating back about a 8 - 10 years and his career trajectory revolved around deliberately gross, controversial jokes and punchlines aimed at unsettling people and stirring the pot. He openly discussed how he sees futility in this style of humour in his later years, the pointlessness of it all, and the obliviousness towards those who may be negatively impacted by it.

Not only recognising his actions and public image, he made several clear, conscious efforts to rectify his behaviour over the years. He has demonstrated himsefl as a person not only acknowledging and admitting of guilt to the humour he subjected people too and the potential ramifications of it, but growth as an individual to the betterment of his own audience.

The website you linked to is run by Mike Cernovich, a hard right nationalist and prominent supporter of Donald Trump and the Republican parties values (multiplied to extremetities). He actively opposes all forms of liberalism, feminism, and racial equality. He believes date rape does not exist (and is a rapist himself), and that there is an ongoing white race genocide that must be combated. He is a vocal mouthpiece for alt-right white nationalist values and ideologies.

Gunn has, for a very long time now, been an open advocate for the exact opposite values. He is pro equality, heavily liberal, and openly anti-Trump. It is not surprise that Cernovich penned a hit piece on Gunn, the latter representing the exact political opposition of ideologies he embodies.

Whether or not you or I or anybody else finds Gunn's decade old jokes funny or shocking is irrelevant to the claim that Gunn is a paedophile, of which Cernovich so brazingly parrots. Emotional outrage is not evidence. Ideologically fuelled hit pieces are not evidence. A fridge/baby joke cited years ago does not make me a paedophile. Doesn't make Gunn one either.
EatChildren being the voice of reason again.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's some joke here about reattaching one's nose after cutting it off themselves. Glad he's back. They should have never paid attention to a rapist's smear-campaign.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
There is no evidence to suggest James Gunn is a child rapist. What there is evidence for is James Gunn making crass, gross jokes that leverage paedophilia for shock value. He is not alone in this behaviour nor exclusive, and we know this humour is generally leveraged by people attempting shock and appal their audience. It's a subset of humour. I've done it in the past. Many others have as well, utilising jokes where the punchline cites murder, rape, paedophilia, racism, or some other extremely controversial, counter-culture, politically incorrect trope or topic. I know a baby/fridge joke that I'd tell in my teens that I'm sure this version of Gunn would have found hilarious.

Gunn has since gone on record to discuss this brand of humour (again, let's identify that this style of humour is not exclusive to Gunn, did not originate with Gunn, is not propagated exclusively by Gunn), and how he has grown as a person since. Gunn's brand of humour dating back about a 8 - 10 years and his career trajectory revolved around deliberately gross, controversial jokes and punchlines aimed at unsettling people and stirring the pot. He openly discussed how he sees futility in this style of humour in his later years, the pointlessness of it all, and the obliviousness towards those who may be negatively impacted by it.

Not only recognising his actions and public image, he made several clear, conscious efforts to rectify his behaviour over the years. He has demonstrated himsefl as a person not only acknowledging and admitting of guilt to the humour he subjected people too and the potential ramifications of it, but growth as an individual to the betterment of his own audience.

The website you linked to is run by Mike Cernovich, a hard right nationalist and prominent supporter of Donald Trump and the Republican parties values (multiplied to extremetities). He actively opposes all forms of liberalism, feminism, and racial equality. He believes date rape does not exist (and is a rapist himself), and that there is an ongoing white race genocide that must be combated. He is a vocal mouthpiece for alt-right white nationalist values and ideologies.

Gunn has, for a very long time now, been an open advocate for the exact opposite values. He is pro equality, heavily liberal, and openly anti-Trump. It is not surprise that Cernovich penned a hit piece on Gunn, the latter representing the exact political opposition of ideologies he embodies.

Whether or not you or I or anybody else finds Gunn's decade old jokes funny or shocking is irrelevant to the claim that Gunn is a paedophile, of which Cernovich so brazingly parrots. Emotional outrage is not evidence. Ideologically fuelled hit pieces are not evidence. A fridge/baby joke cited years ago does not make me a paedophile. Doesn't make Gunn one either.
Fucking ethered, Jesus Christ lol

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I'm of two minds on this.

First off I NEVER cared that he was fired for those tweets. One of the first things I was told in College was to take care of your online image. Make FB shit private, don't post stupid shit with your name attached to it ... cause it can cost you job opportunities AND get you fired from ones you already have years in the future. These are true things, it happens all the time with normal people. My Supervisor was canned over this last year. So I don't really see why people think famous people should be held above this.

Plus there's the fact that he's a glory hog middle aged guy trying to make the most of his new found success even at the cost of stepping on younger, break out talent. Like, he wrote and directed GoTG 2 himself ... so in contrast to GoTG it seems clear to me why 1 was so much better than 2. I'm far more inclined to believe Nicole Perlman's accounts on what she gave to the work than Gunn's "I basically rewrote it from the ground up" BS. GoTG was grade A great and GoTG 2 ... suffers greatly from poor story structure and comes across as overly comical IMO (IIRC ... I forgot so much of that film). I find it far less memorable and was hoping to not have these problems arise in GoTG3 with a different team.

But at the end of the day Perlman seems to have been recognized for her skills by the industry seeing how she went on to write for CM and Detective Pikachu and Gunn IS a great director so the characters will be fun at least.

So over all it's what ever to me. Not a huge Gunn fan but happy for those who wanted this. I also see this as a stand against letting Right Wing trolls control culture sooo yay.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Looks at this fliths
NgtkD7q_d.jpg

You should write Disney and tell them about it

Oh come on. The man eats children! We can't trust a word he says!

Truly a man of the people, for the people

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I personally think the Guardians of the Galaxy films are the least interesting movies he directed, but glad he at least gets to finish the trilogy.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This issue sort of illuminates that the claims made that people exist who don't believe in folks becoming better people, and insist on judging folks by their worst regardless of atonement are real.

Sort of a "Just throw the whole person away" if people aren't flawless from jump. I find that really lame considering Im sure if we searched any of these folks personal histories we would find shit in their past they wouldnt like to be judged by. If your whole thing is "Fuck this person forever for being wrong once upon a time regardless of context" then that's pretty shitty of you. Just saying.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Man fuck James Gunn, I don't care if he makes movies people love, I don't get how "It was just jokes bro!" has become an acceptable defence for this guy. This guy made an article where he fantasized about fucking a 15 year old X-23, didn't he also make comments about Stark "fucking Batwoman straight"? I don't get the love, he seems vile and disgusting, maybe I'm just missing something.

Yes, you're missing something.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

First off I NEVER cared that he was fired for those tweets. One of the first things I was told in College was to take care of your online image. Make FB shit private, don't post stupid shit with your name attached to it ... cause it can cost you job opportunities AND get you fired from ones you already have years in the future. These are true things, it happens all the time with normal people. My Supervisor was canned over this last year. So I don't really see why people think famous people should be held above this.

Plus there's the fact that he's a glory hog middle aged guy trying to make the most of his new found success even at the cost of stepping on younger, break out talent. Like, he wrote and directed GoTG 2 himself ... so in contrast to GoTG it seems clear to me why 1 was so much better than 2. I'm far more inclined to believe Nicole Perlman's accounts on what she gave to the work than Gunn's "I basically rewrote it from the ground up" BS. GoTG was grade A great and GoTG 2 ... suffers greatly from poor story structure and comes across as overly comical IMO (IIRC ... I forgot so much of that film). I find it far less memorable and was hoping to not have these problems arise in GoTG3 with a different team.

But at the end of the day Perlman seems to have been recognized for her skills by the industry seeing how she went on to write for CM and Detective Pikachu and Gunn IS a great director so the characters will be fun at least.

So over all it's what ever to me. Not a huge Gunn fan but happy for those who wanted this. I also see this as a stand against letting Right Wing trolls control culture sooo yay.

Its so weird how people can have such different opinions, like it seems clear to me how much better GOT2 is to 1 for all the reasons you mention. I thought the GOTG 1 was way more comical(but it wasn't that funny) and had a poor story structure and lacked character development and had very little emotional impact, compared to GOT2. I'm not saying your wrong, its just weird.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
ZattMurdock redeemed?????

Didn't expect this at all. Good on them for making the right decision.
ZattMurdock died for this. I hope you're all happy.
I'm legit sad now that Zatt Murdock isn't here. Wonder what he's feeling right now.
lmfao zatt was right
Zatt, your boycott worked!
All you man.
Next week: "ZattMurdock back on Era"
#FreeZatt.

Also, I still hope he gets to do Suicide Squad.
Exclusive footage of Zatt to everyone who said he was wrong:
xJvpQel.gif
My guess? No other director wanted to touch GotG 3 after how Gunn was treated. Disney's hand was forced.

Someone unban Zatt.
Zack was like, "Era, it was the only way."
BRING ZATT BACK!!!!!
Can we get Zatt back as well
So all that drama for nothing. Disney fucked up and everybody knows it. The correct thing to have done at the time would have been something akin to Bob Iger's answer on Jimmy Kimmel and Joy Behar use of blackface, he simply said, "we dealt with it internally and we're leaving it at that".

Zatt Murdock is rolling over his grave right now.
Bring back Zatt Murdock!
Lol, Zatt won.
I did not expect this tbh.
Wait, where is ZattMurdock?
Did he get banned? Is he okay?
Well I'll be damned didn't think it was possible so thanks disney!
Also zatt murdock redeemed!
giphy.gif

MODS! Notify ZattMurdock pls!

I'm bumping this thread because I'd like to say a few things:

I see Era as my internet "home". It's not the place my real life friends post, but it's the place where I find people from all around the world that love the same things as I do. It's a place that allows me and all of us to grow and educate themselves to become better human beings as well. Sawing all these posts while I was banned warmed my heart a lot, even more so than seeing that Gunn was reinstated as the director of Vol. 3.

But I also wanna say that I take full responsibility on why I was banned, not only the last time, but the several other occasions before. I'm fully aware that the moderation and admin team - and Era, as a whole - didn't have any obligations of allowing me to come back. Posting on Era isn't a right, but a privilege, and a privilege I've abused. Sometimes, for my short temper, others for my impulsiveness and very few occasions with good - but yet misguided - intentions.

I've asked to the Era admin and moderation team one last shot to prove my worth to the community. I know that my temper got the best of me several times in the past, but I truly value Era and I see it as a place of personal growth, a place with people that allow me to grow and educate myself as an human being. If I walk out of the line, you all can be pretty sure that I won't ask for another chance. I've asked this shot to prove my worth, because Era matters one hell lot to me, and at the height of my 38 years on this Earth I'm not ashamed to acknowledge that. I'm aware that I need to restrain myself and control my temper, because truly in my heart of hearts I never intend to act like an asshole there, but I know that I need to learn to recompose myself and these 3 plus months have taught me that.

I want to thank the admin and mod teams on Era for this opportunity and for giving me this one shot.

I love all of you. I love Era. With every bit of my heart:

tumblr_nqq1w9ynzn1rqlhx5o1_500.gif

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

I fundamentally disagree in that I think GOTG2 was vastly, vastly superior to 1. It's much better written and emotionally complex. The first was just humorous, but the second one was humorous while also making a point about emotional abuse and growing past your parents. The first has a weak villain and not much else going for it beyond the novelty of the tone. I basically agree with Lindsay Ellis here:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I see Era as my internet "home". It's not the place my real life friends post, but it's the place where I find people from all around the world that love the same things as I do. It's a place that allows me and all of us to grow and educate themselves to become better human beings as well. Sawing all these posts while I was banned warmed my heart a lot, even more so than seeing that Gunn was reinstated as the director of Vol. 3.

But I also wanna say that I take full responsibility on why I was banned, not only the last time, but the several other occasions before. I'm fully aware that the moderation and admin team - and Era, as a whole - didn't have any obligations of allowing me to come back. Posting on Era isn't a right, but a privilege, and a privilege I've abused. Sometimes, for my short temper, others for my impulsiveness and very few occasions with good - but yet misguided - intentions.

I've asked to the Era admin and moderation team one last shot to prove my worth to the community. I know that my temper got the best of me several times in the past, but I truly value Era and I see it as a place of personal growth, a place with people that allow me to grow and educate myself as an human being. If I walk out of the line, you all can be pretty sure that I won't ask for another chance. I've asked this shot to prove my worth, because Era matters one hell lot to me, and at the height of my 38 years on this Earth I'm not ashamed to acknowledge that. I'm aware that I need to restrain myself and control my temper, because truly in my heart of hearts I never intend to act like an asshole there, but I know that I need to learn to recompose myself and these 3 plus months have taught me that.

I want to thank the admin and mod teams on Era for this opportunity and for giving me this one shot.

Welcome back, Zatt. :)

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I fundamentally disagree in that I think GOTG2 was vastly, vastly superior to 1. It's much better written and emotionally complex. The first was just humorous, but the second one was humorous while also making a point about emotional abuse and growing past your parents. The first has a weak villain and not much else going for it beyond the novelty of the tone. I basically agree with Lindsay Ellis here:

2 was way too self indulgent for me

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Not that Vol. 1 isn't good, but I'd argue that Vol. 2 is as good as The Winter Soldier compared to The First Avenger.

Also, Lindsay Ellis verbalizes everything I absolutely love about Vol. 2 and Guardians as whole.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Love that video and agree. That while GOTG is not, not amazing as first film entry. It's kind of safe by the numbers for the most part. Especially in terms of the villain. Although i can also see why folks may not really adore GOTG 2 given it's more open canvas take on humor and length. I kind of look at it from the perspective of my own none love for Ant-Man 1. Even though i really liked Ant-Man and the Wasp.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

300px-Rembrandt_Harmensz_van_Rijn_-_Return_of_the_Prodigal_Son_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
2's humor was awful. The whole movie was carried by the emotional weight of its scenes (which isn't a bad thing, mind).

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The first was just humorous, but the second one was humorous while also making a point about emotional abuse and growing past your parents. The first has a weak villain and not much else going for it beyond the novelty of the tone

Did we watch the same film?

ViciousIllegalDog-size_restricted.gif

I agree about the points on the second film but the first is much more than just humor.

I find the first film is more consistently great. The second one takes a while to get going but the last 40 minutes is amazing.

They're both great. Gunn hits all the right notes in his films.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something? What was wrong with the opening of Vol2? It was a really fun scene and also a way to show that the spectacle of a giant battle isn't the main takeaway from these movies and that its main focus is the characters.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2's humor was awful. The whole movie was carried by the emotional weight of its characters (which isn't a bad thing, mind).
I disagree maybe the film is a little heavy handed here and there in hindsight. But i thought Ant-man 1 had pretty overplayed humor and more bad beats. Compared to GOTG 2.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something? What was wrong with the opening of Vol2? It was a really fun scene and also a way to show that the spectacle of a giant battle isn't the main takeaway from these movies and that its main focus is the characters.
Yep, it was a fun way to open the movie. And it conveyed the message that their current jobs were essentially mercenaries for hire.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
2's humor was awful. The whole movie was carried by the emotional weight of its scenes (which isn't a bad thing, mind).
I HAVE FAMOUSLY HUGE TURDS
I have sensitive nipples...
Did you make a penis?

Yeah, 2's humor was really bad, most of the time. It's a shame because every other aspect of the movie was spectacular.