• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chapek is the reason Galaxy's Edge went from 3 rides and a fancy sitdown restaurant down to 2 rides (one which wasn't ready for another 7 months) and no sitdown restaurant.

This is gonna suck for all parks...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Eisner (and Wells) at least refocused and emphasized the Parks for a good chunk of time. It was after Wells death (and some Park failures) that Eisner moved into cheapo mode. Chapek won't even have that good period.
Yeah I meant more Bad Eisner. The Imagineering Story doc series was actually really clarifying in a lot of the good that Eisner did, which ends up being overshadowed by his penny pinching later on, which is how I'd always known him to be.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Still feel like Feige is being groomed to take over Disney eventually. His promotion at Marvel and the fact that he has a love for Disney in general (such as the parks) make me feel like he's an obvious eventual choice.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Does Disney have a rule since the 80's that the new CEO has to have some sort of name connection with the previous one?

Michael Eisner
Bob Iger (Iger sounds similar to Eisner)
Bob Chapek (Both named Bob)

Probably nothing, but Walt was such a weirdo that I'd believe it.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Iger knows there is no way he can make this year comparable to last so he is leaving ASAP.

Something big is coming.... And Iger needs a fall guy to take the blame, so he can come back as CEO and fix it, then be praised as Savior King of Disney.

Or like everyone else already said.... Going out in top, knowing that there's no more immediate major moves to make at this time.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't this always the plan?

That being said, this new guy is a penny pincher? And the reason some of the new shit sucks? Oh dear.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hm. This is fast. Weirdly fast.

Either he's announcing his candidacy for the Democratic Nomination, or there's something unsavoury that he wants to get out ahead of. Like, he wants his successor to be holding the bag or something.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does Disney have a rule since the 80's that the new CEO has to have some sort of name connection with the previous one?

Michael Eisner

No, but Eisner told everyone who listened that he was distantly related to Disney in some way because their ancestors both came from the same region of France.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
If it's like other Chairmen I've known, that's kinda the good life where you get to shit on ideas from the people below you via smartphone from the golf course or a duck blind.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, Iger's stepping down? I wonder who's replac-

"Bob Chapek"

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Worked as an Imagineer for a couple years, my boss had quarterly meetings with Chapek and wasn't a fan.

Mostly very conservative on money or creative ideas. Safe, narrow, rejected ideas often. That said, he was competent in many areas and not everyone shared this opinion, but he was very tight on purse strings and most creative risk, as discussed already.

'Frustrating' was a word often heard in regards to him while I was there.

Michael Eisner

Coincidence. We used to have meetings with "the three Bob's". (Iger, Chapek, and Weis)

Bob Weis is awesome, super nice and current President of Imagineering.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. This is fast. Weirdly fast.

Either he's announcing his candidacy for the Democratic Nomination, or there's something unsavoury that he wants to get out ahead of. Like, he wants his successor to be holding the bag or something.
He's going to be around for two years and had already been on the verge of retiring a couple years ago. He only stayed on to see Disney Plus through. Now it's through.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Mandalorian and other Disney+ shows will now take place mostly indoors and abandoned warehouses.
With AGENTS OF SHIELD budget

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, ruining the parks by cutting costs and raising prices at the same time, and he also botched Galaxy's Edge's launch and blamed it on another executive who got fired.

We call him "Cheapek."
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I didn't know this guy was responsible for this. What a bummer, I love visiting WDW, and Galaxy's Edge was a huge let down --- still really cool, but what could have been!

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
We've known for months he was leaving. I'm not sure why people are finding this shocking. That said, I'm worried about his successor.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this wont mean that the MCU is going to be Scott Buck production quality going forward...

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This guy sounds like another millionaire in a suit who was known to be a cheap fuck

416x416.jpg

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see him go, my gripes with Star Wars aside, he's directed the company near flawlessly and changed the game.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Worked as an Imagineer for a couple years, my boss had quarterly meetings with Chapek and wasn't a fan.

Mostly very conservative on money or creative ideas. Safe, narrow, rejected ideas often. That said, he was competent in many areas and not everyone shared this opinion, but he was very tight on purse strings and most creative risk, as discussed already.

'Frustrating' was a word often heard in regards to him while I was there.

Coincidence. We used to have meetings with "the three Bob's". (Iger, Chapek, and Weis)

Bob Weis is awesome, super nice and current President of Imagineering.

Oh wow, huge imagineering fan! (to the point I really wanted to be one) Any projects you personally worked on you can talk about?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, Bob Chapek sucks. Hopefully he's hands-off with the movies. I can't imagine Iger would hand-pick a successor that would fuck over everything he built.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Bob Igor was brilliant. He'll be fondly remembered for making Disney great & bigger than ever before.

Now Bob Chapek as the new CEO? What the hell are they thinking? He's shit.

Jul 4, 2018
I'm going to miss Iger as CEO, he was a great deal maker and always forthcoming at what was happening at the company between the ESPN woes and streaming ambitions.

However I'm glad he is seeing out his contract as head of the board though as he'll be able to hopefully make the change smoother.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Iger is still going to be apart of the creative side of Disney (which I assuming is movies and Disney+)
Since he has to report to Iger and the board, I wonder if they giving him a 22 month trial to see how he does being the complete overseer of all projects.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Chapek??? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! Dude has apparently fucked over the parks pretty well lately. Can the parks division at least get someone good now?